Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I just brought Horton back from getting his nails trimmed. They're so kind to him I tipped them $5.00. They only charge me $5.00 to do them because he's so cooperative. Anytime people take the time to treat my dogs kindly and with great respect they deserve to be acknowledged for it.

Have a great weekend everyone! I plan on doing NOTHING!

When Morey cruised with me we had to bring bottled water because he drinks NOTHING else. When he stopped cruising, I went to the ships water and Brenda and Horton both seem to do well with it. I never had a problem with chlorine......that would be awful!

Boy, this Carnival thing certainly is changing my packing plans. And, I'm glad I'm not flying anywhere so I can bring as much extra as I want to. :)

Remember, my Bahamas trip was a land trip, not cruise trip. I don't know if they chlorinate cruise ship water, but they do the water in Nassau/Paradise Island to an extreme amount. When I lived in Florida, sometimes you could smell the chlorine in the water, but not all the time or as strongly as this past trip in the Bahamas (it was stronger there this time than previous trips). Nobody wants to drink pool water!

I always fly in the day before the cruise, if not several days before, so can buy water and stuff near my hotel.

At they're not calling you a "little squirt!" At least I hope not!

I'm sitting, I'm relaxing, I'm reading back the posts for the day......what the heck was I trying to say here?

DKD gets me all flustered and my fingers go flying all over the keyboard!

The Welactin is a liquid, he won't take that? I squirt it on Wexlers food.

DKD smells fishy enough! :eek:

Oh! I just re-read this. Darn job has so many demands, it gets in the way of me reading my emails.

I will have to look into the Welactin, maybe he'll go for it. I'll see if it has the same amount of Omega 3's as the stuff I'm giving him......the price is sure right!!!

Remember, my Bahamas trip was a land trip, not cruise trip. I don't know if they chlorinate cruise ship water, but they do the water in Nassau/Paradise Island to an extreme amount. When I lived in Florida, sometimes you could smell the chlorine in the water, but not all the time or as strongly as this past trip in the Bahamas (it was stronger there this time than previous trips). Nobody wants to drink pool water!

I always fly in the day before the cruise, if not several days before, so can buy water and stuff near my hotel.

Yuck! The water sounds awful. I would never drink water that smelled like chlorine, nor would I ever give it to my dogs.

I don't remember the water being overly chlorinated when we were in the Bahama's.

I love you guys! After being in Law Enforcement for 24 years it is such a blow to our society to how many cops are being shot, point blank, without any provication (sp), other than the criminal knows what they have done. It is just saddening to know that people hate just because someone is one way or another. I was not brought up that way. Today's society is almost worse than if it was a black or white thing. I never considered color with whom I associate with. It is not an issue. Religon? Who cares? I am all for who the person represents.

Good night all!

Has anyone here taken their service dog to Labadee (Royal Caribbean's private area of Haiti)? My friends want me to join them on a cruise for a friend's big birthday, but in a recent review on the RC board here someone mentioned there being multiple stray dogs on Labadee and posted a photo of one of them, the dog hanging out on the beach in between deck chairs. They didn't touch the dog for fear of fleas or disease. I would be scared of these dogs attacking a service dog or passing a disease to one. I guess Labadee isn't as fenced off as I thought it was, but I'm surprised RC allows the dogs to hang around where small children may be and where there will be a service dog from time to time.

I've seen the same local dog on Labadee a few times... She looks a little "rough" but is very friendly (although what dog wouldn't be with hotdogs and hamburgers everywhere!) she seems to have free reign of the beaches. I would hesitate to take a SD there but then again it's no different than taking your dog into any port that may have strays...???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Beth! I had an issue with a loose dog in Key West (the ol' "GO HOME!!" trick actually worked), a stray right outside the cruise port in Cozumel between getting out of the taxi and walking to the entrance after my excursion (local workers thankfully stepped in and got the dog away after they realized it was prohibiting my movement), and am thankful the pack of Turks and Caicos dogs across the street from the downtown shopping area stayed across the street even though they barked and such. I see stray potcake dogs in the Bahamas every time I go, but haven't had issues with them because normally when I see them it is from the car.

Haven't made my mind up yet about the cruise for various reasons, including this one.

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday,

Up early this morning----just couldn't go back to sleep----too many things running through my head. :eek: Hope all of you have a great day.

Saw a wonderful program last night on TV----it was about the training of the CCI dogs, in California. Also a similiar training program and they seemed to be training together. It is so wonderful that these dogs allow men and woman to be able to go out on their own and move away from home and have a life. They even showed, a little yorkie, that was able to tell her master when her sugar was getting low.

Has anyone here taken their service dog to Labadee (Royal Caribbean's private area of Haiti)? My friends want me to join them on a cruise for a friend's big birthday, but in a recent review on the RC board here someone mentioned there being multiple stray dogs on Labadee and posted a photo of one of them, the dog hanging out on the beach in between deck chairs. They didn't touch the dog for fear of fleas or disease. I would be scared of these dogs attacking a service dog or passing a disease to one. I guess Labadee isn't as fenced off as I thought it was, but I'm surprised RC allows the dogs to hang around where small children may be and where there will be a service dog from time to time.

Quam: It's just not worth the chance that is taken from attack and disease with the strays on some of these islands.

If I won't subject myself to an attack while visiting some areas, I feel exactly the same about my dog.

I spend too much time and money on keeping my dogs safe and healthy [not even to mention the "down" time that my dog would have to experience while getting well] than to risk even one incident.

I don't really enjoy my visit if all I'm doing is playing "watch-dog" for my dog!

I love you guys! After being in Law Enforcement for 24 years it is such a blow to our society to how many cops are being shot, point blank, without any provication (sp), other than the criminal knows what they have done. It is just saddening to know that people hate just because someone is one way or another. I was not brought up that way. Today's society is almost worse than if it was a black or white thing. I never considered color with whom I associate with. It is not an issue. Religon? Who cares? I am all for who the person represents.

Good night all!

I know exactly what you mean, Nancy. The news has been very, very sad for our peace keepers, lately!

I've seen the same local dog on Labadee a few times... She looks a little "rough" but is very friendly (although what dog wouldn't be with hotdogs and hamburgers everywhere!) she seems to have free reign of the beaches. I would hesitate to take a SD there but then again it's no different than taking your dog into any port that may have strays...???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So true!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday,

Up early this morning----just couldn't go back to sleep----too many things running through my head. :eek: Hope all of you have a great day.

Saw a wonderful program last night on TV----it was about the training of the CCI dogs, in California. Also a similiar training program and they seemed to be training together. It is so wonderful that these dogs allow men and woman to be able to go out on their own and move away from home and have a life. They even showed, a little yorkie, that was able to tell her master when her sugar was getting low.

I love watching anything about CCI.....they are a wonderful organization.

Since CCI only trains Labs, Golden Retrievers and the cross between them and, does not train seizure or diabetes alert dogs yet, the little Yorkie was from another amazing training program.

Although, I know of a Standard Poodle that was trained by CCI for a very special lady. She came to the Center I worked at, with her dog and when I saw the CCI vest, I was floored! She said she begged CCI to train her pup. Her allergies were very severe and she could never live with the hair that our Labs and Golden's shed on a daily basis.

By the time CCI trains Labradoodle's, I'll be too old to care!!!! :(

I'm into the "anticipation" thing....shopping, getting down the suitcases, picking out the clothes and shoes and picking out the toys and collars to bring for Horty, and just plain getting excited....3 weeks, that's all just 3 weeks til I'm on a glorious cruise! :)

The Bay Bridge in San Francisco is dancing with lights for the next two years.....just another reason to take this fun cruise.

I hope the cruise ships are including this beautiful sight and will showcase it on the Pacific Coastal Cruises. ;)

To all my friends on the east coast I hope that you're safe through yet another storm!

I'm into the "anticipation" thing....shopping, getting down the suitcases, picking out the clothes and shoes and picking out the toys and collars to bring for Horty, and just plain getting excited....3 weeks, that's all just 3 weeks til I'm on a glorious cruise! :)

The Bay Bridge in San Francisco is dancing with lights for the next two years.....just another reason to take this fun cruise.

I hope the cruise ships are including this beautiful sight and will showcase it on the Pacific Coastal Cruises. ;)

To all my friends on the east coast I hope that you're safe through yet another storm!

60 mph wind gusts and 2-4 inches of snow predicted for me. Where's that stupid groundhog that said an early spring? :mad:

60 mph wind gusts and 2-4 inches of snow predicted for me. Where's that stupid groundhog that said an early spring? :mad:

Oh! No! I'm so sorry......You'd think that I'd have some say with the weather God's!!!! I am an older woman with a lot of experience-Stop messing with my friends!!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

Hang in there.....groundhog or no groundhog [never did believe in that dumb critter!] Spring is on the way!

You could move to California and take your chances with the rest of us who love the weather and fear the earthquakes, gas prices, taxes and high prices of just about everything else. However, we can pretty much walk outside barefooted and hardly any clothes on, most of the time!!!!! :eek:

Gives me goosebumps! That would be spectacular to see.

DKD: That groundhog is probably still hitting the bottle that he was drinking when he made that prediction! I am sorry you guys are getting hit so hard. We are in the upper 70's. I hope it isn't a sign of what the summer will be. :eek: We may just burn up.

NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO QUESTION YOU UNDER THE ADA ACT!!!! There are severe penalties to those that do.

You do not have to explain yourself. My husband has MD and we have a wonderful service dog named Goldee that we bring with us everywhere. (not on a cruise yet!!!) but soon....l.

When we are questioned we politely inform them that we need not explain and show them our identification and leave it at that!!! It never goes further...............

Thank you for all your info.

NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO QUESTION YOU UNDER THE ADA ACT!!!! There are severe penalties to those that do.

You do not have to explain yourself. My husband has MD and we have a wonderful service dog named Goldee that we bring with us everywhere. (not on a cruise yet!!!) but soon....l.

When we are questioned we politely inform them that we need not explain and show them our identification and leave it at that!!! It never goes further...............

Thank you for all your info.

Businesses do have the right to ask you if your dog is a service dog required due to your disability and what tasks the dog has been trained to do for you. They cannot ask for ID, certification, proof of disability, a demonstration of the tasks, what your disability is, etc. They also have the right to kick out any service dog that is misbehaving, such as continually barking during a movie.

Hi. I only posted this info on the Cruisers from California forum because I'm subscribed to several threads and I didn't want to miss any comments: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37444092&postcount=2283

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss - sending you our warmest wishes and prayers across the world to you and your family.:)

Hi. I only posted this info on the Cruisers from California forum because I'm subscribed to several threads and I didn't want to miss any comments: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=37444092&postcount=2283

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and prayers.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.