Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I came home to check on Brenda and feed them both - I thought I'd check my emails.........

YOU ALL are such wonderful friends and have become a source of heartfelt & meaningful words of friendship & love.

Morey is moving along very, very slowly. He can hardly sit-up without assistance. Although he has his speech, what he says sometimes makes absolutely no sense at all or he'll repeat himself over and over again. I realize he's confused and it's difficult to watch this headstrong, intellectual man making such little sense. This will be a long and winding road for him.

About my cruise tomorrow......I did NOT buy insurance for it.....please don't yell at me.....I was so tired of spending thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on insurance...I said, forget it this time. Now I'm working with my TA and Princess to either give me a credit or apply this to my upcoming cruise in Sept. Princess is not budging much and my TA suggested that I write a letter to their customer service dept.

I am a very frequent Princess cruiser, do you guys have any other ideas or suggestions for me that I haven't thought of?

I'm running back to re-hab and back to my Morey. Love you all and thanks again for being there for me.

It's going to take time. But I believe Morey will come out of this just fine, especially with you by his side. As you've told me many times, don't forget about yourself! You need to take care of you too. I know whats it's like going to rehab every day. Did it for 2 weeks. It takes alot out of you. You've also got your 2 babies to care for.

Funny you brought up the insurance. We always get it and our last cruise we didn't. I think we will get it this time for sure!!! And I can't believe that Princess is giving you a hard time.

Edited by rangeley

I have just read this and immediately called my DH to come and look at it as well, so I watched it all again! What a handsome boy Wexler is and takes his teaching role so seriously - you have just got to love that face of concentration! I hadn't realised John had been unwell, I must have missed your news - I am sorry to hear this and send him our best wishes. Thank you for sharing these articles. :)

John will be fine. He's just got a stone in his bladder. We have been waiting 2 weeks (so far) just to get an OR date. :mad:

The article about Wexler (oh yeah, and John, too ;) ) came through on my Google Alert for "service dog" sites/pages/news, so I had to come on here and say it was a nice article and photos!

But, whoa! I was not expecting to read Roz's news! I hope everything works out for your husband's healing, Roz! Sorry to hear you didn't buy travel insurance - did you happen to pay with an AmEx? They have some travel insurances built in. It isn't Princess' problem, of course, but you could still try, just in case, and say you helped solve their problems of overbooking and the people who wanted your cabin ridiculously badly (I didn't even know a cruiseline even would ever try calling to see if someone would move cabins!).

The article about Wexler (oh yeah, and John, too ;) ) came through on my Google Alert for "service dog" sites/pages/news, so I had to come on here and say it was a nice article and photos!

But, whoa! I was not expecting to read Roz's news! I hope everything works out for your husband's healing, Roz! Sorry to hear you didn't buy travel insurance - did you happen to pay with an AmEx? They have some travel insurances built in. It isn't Princess' problem, of course, but you could still try, just in case, and say you helped solve their problems of overbooking and the people who wanted your cabin ridiculously badly (I didn't even know a cruiseline even would ever try calling to see if someone would move cabins!).

Thanks Quam. It might be picked up by the Globe.

It's going to take time. But I believe Morey will come out of this just fine, especially with you by his side. As you've told me many times, don't forget about yourself! You need to take care of you too. I know whats it's like going to rehab every day. Did it for 2 weeks. It takes alot out of you. You've also got your 2 babies to care for.

Funny you brought up the insurance. We always get it and our last cruise we didn't. I think we will get it this time for sure!!! And I can't believe that Princess is giving you a hard time.

Thanks Cindy, I was so tired today, it's a merry-go-round of emotions and taxes every bit of energy and strength out of you. Poor guy, he's still not responding well and is so weak. Every time he sees our oldest daughter Lisa his eyes sparkle and he becomes more alert. I can see that this is going to be a very long process for all of us.

He loves when he sees Horton and Horton pushes his nose into Morey's neck to waft his nose back and forth and licks his neck......it's so sweet to watch. Horton brings great joy to Morey and that makes all of us feel good.

As we walk down the halls of the rehab center we're called into every room so other patients and their families can pat and love on our big boy! I totally understand the warmth and love that people feel when they see this gentle giant!

Cindy, I read the article about John and Wex......it was wonderful and the pictures are pure joy. He's such a gorgeous dog. I had tears in my eyes as I read it. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.

I will NEVER book a cruise without buying insurance, again!

I always us my AmEx for travel, I didn't think about their travel insurance, thanks for the reminder, I'll look into it.

And, calling me to move to another cabin was a first for me too and who knew what was going to happen from then on.......these past few weeks have been very strange, indeed!

Well, I better get to bed, tomorrow's a new day and who knows what it holds for me and my Morey.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I will NEVER book a cruise without buying insurance, again!

Don't kick yourself about the insurance. Like you said before, you've spent thousands on insurance and never needed it. It's like Murphy's Law. Just take care of Morey... and yourself. :)

(I hope Princess does something for you.)

Found this re Oceana cruise lines and service animals. Hope it helps.

http://www.cruiseguideinformation.com/animals-policy-in-oceania-cruises/

Marcntyme: Welcome, I knew it sounded pretty weird that they embarked from a US port and didn't follow the US laws. Good to know, thanks for sharing the article.

Roz---sending you Hugs to help you get through your day. Isn't is wonderful that you can bring joy to the others in the rehab. I am sure those acts of kindness can only help you get through this. Hope you find Morey a little better today. And please take care of yourself during these trying times------wish we were all closer so we could sit with you for awhile.

Mornin' all:

Happy Easter to all.

Roz: Huge hugs coming your way. I think of you often. Tell Morey we are all thinking about him too. I know he must be very frustrated because he needs help with daily things. Give him a big hug from me. As you have described him, through the years, I get a vision of him. It is a distinguished Mr. French from the TV series! Not sure if that is even close but that is Morey to me. I am so glad that Horty and Ms. B get to go see Papa. I am sure that is also refreshing to him. I am also glad that Lisa lights up his life. When Keith's mom was in the hospital, the only voice she sparkled when she heard was his. It is very special to watch and see. Love you to bits, take care of Roz and the furkids and of course Morey.

Thanks for the info. There is "hope" then -- but the printed documentation they sent to me said no service dogs. Since I am not bringing a guide dog this time, I will do some asking when I am on the cruise to find out more. It seems like they should accommodate a service dog coming from the port in the U.S. Happy Easter everyone.

Roz,

Thoughts and prayers from another lurker.

While I am unlikely to ever have the services of one of your highly trained SDs, I have learned a great deal from reading your thread. The education you all provide has been amazingly helpful for other parts of my life.

So our puppy raiser friends were over for dinner on Friday. We started talking about going on vacation together next year. We then started talking about a seven day RCCL cruise to the Southern Caribbean. The next thing you know, two of us were on our laptops booking the cruise for next May.

We leave from San Juan, Puerto Rico and stop at:

St. Maartin

St. Kitts

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Sadly, orson will not be going with us. And that may be for the best with all the tests and the heat. We will find a nice home for him to be spoiled at. Tomorrow we finally get to pick our shore excursions for our upcoming Alaska cruise and begin our on-line check-in. Then when we get home we can start looking at H/C accessible excursions for the Caribbean.

Roz,

Thoughts and prayers from another lurker.

While I am unlikely to ever have the services of one of your highly trained SDs, I have learned a great deal from reading your thread. The education you all provide has been amazingly helpful for other parts of my life.

Thanks for the kind words Barb. We are pleased to be able to help anyone. :D

So our puppy raiser friends were over for dinner on Friday. We started talking about going on vacation together next year. We then started talking about a seven day RCCL cruise to the Southern Caribbean. The next thing you know, two of us were on our laptops booking the cruise for next May.

We leave from San Juan, Puerto Rico and stop at:

St. Maartin

St. Kitts

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Sadly, orson will not be going with us. And that may be for the best with all the tests and the heat. We will find a nice home for him to be spoiled at. Tomorrow we finally get to pick our shore excursions for our upcoming Alaska cruise and begin our on-line check-in. Then when we get home we can start looking at H/C accessible excursions for the Caribbean.

We just did an accessible tour in St. Maarten. It was a van that can hold 2 wheelchairs and I think up to 6 people, but not sure. It was 360.00 but with a bunch of us going it was not alot per person. Nice tour, guy was very knowledgeable took us all around the island and stopped on the french side at an open air market. 3 hours long.

We just did an accessible tour in St. Maarten. It was a van that can hold 2 wheelchairs and I think up to 6 people, but not sure. It was 360.00 but with a bunch of us going it was not alot per person. Nice tour, guy was very knowledgeable took us all around the island and stopped on the french side at an open air market. 3 hours long.

Do you have any information on the tour company Cindy? Never too soon to look into tours. There will be six or seven of us total with one wheelchair.

Do you have any information on the tour company Cindy? Never too soon to look into tours. There will be six or seven of us total with one wheelchair.

Here you go Den, that brings you right to the accessible tour. I checked the other islands on that site and didn't see any accessible tours for the other islands you are going to.

http://www.shoreadventures.com/excursions.aspx?id=513