Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Don't kick yourself about the insurance. Like you said before, you've spent thousands on insurance and never needed it. It's like Murphy's Law. Just take care of Morey... and yourself. :)

(I hope Princess does something for you.)

You're so right....Thanks for caring.....I hope you're doing okay after the loss of your Dad. I think about you often and hope that each day is easier for you.

I haven't had much time to deal with Princess or talk to my TA....I'm consumed with Morey's well being.

He had a set-back yesterday and was taken by ambulance to the ER just to monitor his vitals. They put him on IV again, it appears he was becoming dehydrated. After a day on IV he seemed to be doing well and he was told he had to drink and eat more while in rehab. He's refusing to eat and drink and they told him he was delaying his chances of going home by doing this.

It's a nightmare.....I'm staying strong and thank you for being so wonderful in bringing a smile to Morey's face.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz---sending you Hugs to help you get through your day. Isn't is wonderful that you can bring joy to the others in the rehab. I am sure those acts of kindness can only help you get through this. Hope you find Morey a little better today. And please take care of yourself during these trying times------wish we were all closer so we could sit with you for awhile.

Yes! The destraction that Horton brings to my day by bringing such joy to others is a pure miracle. People will be sitting in their wheelchairs with the gloomiest of faces and then the closer I get to them with Mr. "Big".....the brighter their faces become.....It's so much fun to see it.

I wish you guys were closer too.

Mornin' all:

Happy Easter to all.

Roz: Huge hugs coming your way. I think of you often. Tell Morey we are all thinking about him too. I know he must be very frustrated because he needs help with daily things. Give him a big hug from me. As you have described him, through the years, I get a vision of him. It is a distinguished Mr. French from the TV series! Not sure if that is even close but that is Morey to me. I am so glad that Horty and Ms. B get to go see Papa. I am sure that is also refreshing to him. I am also glad that Lisa lights up his life. When Keith's mom was in the hospital, the only voice she sparkled when she heard was his. It is very special to watch and see. Love you to bits, take care of Roz and the furkids and of course Morey.

Nancy, you amaze me.......Mr. French is a perfect discription of Morey. That's weird that you said that! Mr. French was a bit more "round" than Morey but in every other way, it's him!!!!

Lisa had to go home today.....her children start school tomorrow and she has two business's to run. Everyone has their lives and families to look after. Although Morey and I both miss her terribly.....I insisted that she take care of her life. She'll be flying down again next week.

Thanks for your loving support.

Thanks for the info. There is "hope" then -- but the printed documentation they sent to me said no service dogs. Since I am not bringing a guide dog this time, I will do some asking when I am on the cruise to find out more. It seems like they should accommodate a service dog coming from the port in the U.S. Happy Easter everyone.

Don't even worry about it.....they have no choice!

Roz,

Thoughts and prayers from another lurker.

While I am unlikely to ever have the services of one of your highly trained SDs, I have learned a great deal from reading your thread. The education you all provide has been amazingly helpful for other parts of my life.

Barb, welcome to our world. And thank you so much for your prayers. I just know that with your prayers out there......I'm going to be okay! And, Mr. Stubborn has no choice, he'll be okay too!!!!!

You know, when I first needed the assistance of a Service Dog and way before I ever had one.....I felt so sorry for me.....Now, I feel so darn lucky to have one!!!!!!

"The dynamics and humanity of living with a Service Dog sometimes can overwhelm my senses. But, it never fails to bring my soul the gentle love that it so desires!!!!!" by, Roz S.

So our puppy raiser friends were over for dinner on Friday. We started talking about going on vacation together next year. We then started talking about a seven day RCCL cruise to the Southern Caribbean. The next thing you know, two of us were on our laptops booking the cruise for next May.

We leave from San Juan, Puerto Rico and stop at:

St. Maartin

St. Kitts

Antigua

St. Lucia

Barbados

Sadly, orson will not be going with us. And that may be for the best with all the tests and the heat. We will find a nice home for him to be spoiled at. Tomorrow we finally get to pick our shore excursions for our upcoming Alaska cruise and begin our on-line check-in. Then when we get home we can start looking at H/C accessible excursions for the Caribbean.

Yahoo!!!! Congratulations on your upcoming cruises, love it! I can't wait to start looking at a "make-up" cruise, once I can leave. I'm sorry that Orson won't be joining you. But, you know what's best for him and you'll probably fix him up at a home that will spoil him rotten!!!! Lucky boy!

Roz, I know you are busy, but just wanted you to know we are thinking about you!

Thanks, love. It seems the only time I have is very late so here I am.

Cindy, I'm so tired!!!!!! I bring Horty with me and leave Brenny at home. She sleeps most of her day, except when she sunbathes for a half hour every morning, it's so cute to watch her. She gets her vitamin D and then comes in and naps.

She goes to the bedroom [Morey's side of the bed and scans it to see if he's sleeping], she then goes to his bathroom, the front door, the kitchen and I know she's looking for him....I actually sat down with her and just explained it all to her....she stared into my eyes and then jumped-up on her couch and put her head down [as if to say, "I'm sad without him!"] I just layed my head on hers and a big tear landed on her nose.

We all miss him!

The same goes for me Roz---I have a prayers going out for you and Morey from my painting group.

Trudy, thank you so much! This means a lot to me. And, hopefully, will make a big difference for Morey and please thank your painting group too.

Thanks, love. It seems the only time I have is very late so here I am.

Cindy, I'm so tired!!!!!! I bring Horty with me and leave Brenny at home. She sleeps most of her day, except when she sunbathes for a half hour every morning, it's so cute to watch her. She gets her vitamin D and then comes in and naps.

She goes to the bedroom [Morey's side of the bed and scans it to see if he's sleeping], she then goes to his bathroom, the front door, the kitchen and I know she's looking for him....I actually sat down with her and just explained it all to her....she stared into my eyes and then jumped-up on her couch and put her head down [as if to say, "I'm sad without him!"] I just layed my head on hers and a big tear landed on her nose.

We all miss him!

Oh Roz - what would we do without our doggy pals .... They absolutely do know what we tell them and it breaks my heart sometimes when I'm in need of a doggy hug and those doggy eyes just send me so much love .... Miss B will be missing her Dad so much.

I'm so proud of "Mr Big"Horton for spreading his healing energy to all those folk who need it .... What joy he must be bringing to them when who knows what they're dealing with.

So sending you lots of doggy hugs ;):), and of course I'm thinking about you and Mr Morey too! Take care. :)

Mornin' all:

Since I have revealed my visual for Morey, I will continue.

Ms. B = The Devine Ms. M (Bette Middler)

Mr. Horty = Mr. Big (Sex and the City) Fits perfectly

Morey = Mr. French (Slimmed down)

Roz = The tall Blonde with BIG hair and the huge Black dog!

AND A HUGE HEART that she wears on her sleeve.

Tell Morey he better start eating or at least drinking before we all converge on his room and "rough him up"! Did you tell him Ms. Brenny is lost without him? That should put a spark under him. She needs her Papa while Mr. Big and Momma are at work.

Huge hugs and prayers coming your way, from down south.

Cindy: I hope John is not in too much pain waiting for them to decide when they can squeeze him in.

Barb, welcome to our world. And thank you so much for your prayers. I just know that with your prayers out there......I'm going to be okay! And, Mr. Stubborn has no choice, he'll be okay too!!!!!

You know, when I first needed the assistance of a Service Dog and way before I ever had one.....I felt so sorry for me.....Now, I feel so darn lucky to have one!!!!!!

"The dynamics and humanity of living with a Service Dog sometimes can overwhelm my senses. But, it never fails to bring my soul the gentle love that it so desires!!!!!" by, Roz S.

Roz, so glad you are keeping things positive.

I know that Service Dogs are a real life savior for many. The reason I'll never have one, even if I need one, is because my darn allergies will never let me. No furry pets of any kind for me, none, na-da, never. I already fight my allergies like crazy.

On a totally different note, I do appreciate all the education this group provides. It helps me to stay legal with my small amount of rental property. Had another call for a house (it is moving season) and they said, we don't have any pets, just a service dog we are training.

Really? You are training a service dog? (From me). Who are you training it for?

Their response, for a friend that we think will need it one of these days.

Hmmmm, I think, and ask, and "what will you be training it to do?"

....no answer

So I ask, "what experience do you have in training service animals?.

Their response, they borrowed a book.

I didn't say no off the bat, but I did say that since the animal was not yet a service dog, he was not legally considered a service dog. I would, however, be happy to meet the animal and if the animal was well trained I would consider the pet with my standard fees. Come to find out, the dog is not even house broken yet!

I have great respect for highly trained SDs and would not have a problem with one, but I am so sick of people trying to get around rules. Again, I really appreciate the education you all have provided! And it isn't just Service Dog partners who get frustrated with those who try to pass off untrained animals as Service Dogs!

Oh Roz - what would we do without our doggy pals .... They absolutely do know what we tell them and it breaks my heart sometimes when I'm in need of a doggy hug and those doggy eyes just send me so much love .... Miss B will be missing her Dad so much.

I'm so proud of "Mr Big"Horton for spreading his healing energy to all those folk who need it .... What joy he must be bringing to them when who knows what they're dealing with.

So sending you lots of doggy hugs ;):), and of course I'm thinking about you and Mr Morey too! Take care. :)

Well, here I am.....I'm just loving your hugs, thank you.

I took both dogs with me to the convalescent home and Brenny didn't know what to make of it. She stared at every single person sitting in their wheel chairs in the hallways, they all look like Morey....she sniffed every one of them! Horty acted like he owned the place and just meandered his way through!

I wish you could have seen what Brenda did when she saw Morey....it was priceless! She wouldn't go near him, she just stared and stared and planted her feet firmly on the floor as I tried to walk her closer and closer. He put his hand down next to his bed and called her, finally, she walked forward very, very slowly and then her tail started to wag in huge circles....it was worth a picture [if I only had the energy to get out my camera or cell phone!] :o They really loved on each other for a long time, so cute!

He's about the same, very slowly coming back to life.

My friends onboard my cruise are sending me pictures of our dinner table, formal night and them enjoying their time around the pool and playing bingo. They said the other guests are really nice and the crew is wonderful. They're having a fun time! They love Princess as much as I do, especially the Sapphire. :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Got up a little extra early this morning and went on-line and made all our Alaska shore excursions. Now when I go home tonight, I can start the on-line check-in. Then it's the waiting part. :(

I'm excited for you. When you make-up your mind to do something you don't waste any time......love your style!

The wait for a cruise is one of the my most favorite parts.....the anticipation is so much fun!

Mornin' all:

Since I have revealed my visual for Morey, I will continue.

Ms. B = The Devine Ms. M (Bette Middler)

Mr. Horty = Mr. Big (Sex and the City) Fits perfectly

Morey = Mr. French (Slimmed down)

Roz = The tall Blonde with BIG hair and the huge Black dog!

AND A HUGE HEART that she wears on her sleeve.

Tell Morey he better start eating or at least drinking before we all converge on his room and "rough him up"! Did you tell him Ms. Brenny is lost without him? That should put a spark under him. She needs her Papa while Mr. Big and Momma are at work.

Huge hugs and prayers coming your way, from down south.

Cindy: I hope John is not in too much pain waiting for them to decide when they can squeeze him in.

Love it, so cute!!!! :)

Roz, so glad you are keeping things positive.

I know that Service Dogs are a real life savior for many. The reason I'll never have one, even if I need one, is because my darn allergies will never let me. No furry pets of any kind for me, none, na-da, never. I already fight my allergies like crazy.

On a totally different note, I do appreciate all the education this group provides. It helps me to stay legal with my small amount of rental property. Had another call for a house (it is moving season) and they said, we don't have any pets, just a service dog we are training.

Really? You are training a service dog? (From me). Who are you training it for?

Their response, for a friend that we think will need it one of these days.

Hmmmm, I think, and ask, and "what will you be training it to do?"

....no answer

So I ask, "what experience do you have in training service animals?.

Their response, they borrowed a book.

I didn't say no off the bat, but I did say that since the animal was not yet a service dog, he was not legally considered a service dog. I would, however, be happy to meet the animal and if the animal was well trained I would consider the pet with my standard fees. Come to find out, the dog is not even house broken yet!

I have great respect for highly trained SDs and would not have a problem with one, but I am so sick of people trying to get around rules. Again, I really appreciate the education you all have provided! And it isn't just Service Dog partners who get frustrated with those who try to pass off untrained animals as Service Dogs!

Barb, doesn't it just make you crazy what people will do. Although I do appreciate their love for their dog, they have to follow the rules and not make it more difficult for folks like me!

I think you were being more than fair and I'm glad you keep your rules strict!

Well, here I am.....I'm just loving your hugs, thank you.

I took both dogs with me to the convalescent home and Brenny didn't know what to make of it. She stared at every single person sitting in their wheel chairs in the hallways, they all look like Morey....she sniffed every one of them! Horty acted like he owned the place and just meandered his way through!

I wish you could have seen what Brenda did when she saw Morey....it was priceless! She wouldn't go near him, she just stared and stared and planted her feet firmly on the floor as I tried to walk her closer and closer. He put his hand down next to his bed and called her, finally, she walked forward very, very slowly and then her tail started to wag in huge circles....it was worth a picture [if I only had the energy to get out my camera or cell phone!] :o They really loved on each other for a long time, so cute!

He's about the same, very slowly coming back to life.

My friends onboard my cruise are sending me pictures of our dinner table, formal night and them enjoying their time around the pool and playing bingo. They said the other guests are really nice and the crew is wonderful. They're having a fun time! They love Princess as much as I do, especially the Sapphire. :)

Ah poor Miss B - they are so funny when they see their "peeps" somewhere they do not expect to see them - I can just see her standing there, thinking:

"who's that .... who is it .....( bit more doggy thinking then doggy penny starts to drop slowly) .... aaah is that my Dad, is it, is it? I'll just go slow, just in case ..... Can I believe it's him .... Smells like him ;), What's he doing there .... (Then doggy penny really drops) ... It's him, it's him, it's him (how much can I wag my bottom off my tail) .... Ah Dad I love you ...big hugs and more big hugs . :D

Is that kinda how it went?? I expect her visit bucked Mr Morey up no end. He must have been so pleased to see his pal and have a cuddle ... It sounds like you have a long, slow haul, but I'm sure with your support and of course the furry babies, Mr M will make good progress.

BTW I think Mr Big H is just fantastic .... He's such a good boy.

Take care of yourself as well, as we've all told you, mind you it's easier said than done when you've got so much on your plate.

Catch Roz, here come those doggy hugs again:).

Ah poor Miss B - they are so funny when they see their "peeps" somewhere they do not expect to see them - I can just see her standing there, thinking:

"who's that .... who is it .....( bit more doggy thinking then doggy penny starts to drop slowly) .... aaah is that my Dad, is it, is it? I'll just go slow, just in case ..... Can I believe it's him .... Smells like him ;), What's he doing there .... (Then doggy penny really drops) ... It's him, it's him, it's him (how much can I wag my bottom off my tail) .... Ah Dad I love you ...big hugs and more big hugs . :D

Are you a writer? That's EXACTLY how I pictured it! :D