Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Cindy: Glad McDonald's is a good sign, for John! I thought the stone was causing John problems? I cannot even imagine there is a "place" they cannot get too! That in itself sounds painful! Hope he doesn't have to go back again. Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

We think the intestinal infection was causing the problem, not the stone. Now that the infection is gone, he has no problems.

Thank you all for your candle lighting for Morey. He would have liked all your support. He was such a "people-person!"

Brenda is so confused, she goes to his bathroom everyday and lays outside his door. She's sure he'll come out any minute...then she'll go to the front door, as if to make sure that if she misses him, he won't be able to get outside without her knowing it! I feel so badly for her. She visited him often in the hospital but when he was moved to a special unit the dogs were no longer allowed in.

My sadness is overwhelming me right now.

You're all right about September, it's very far away [right now.] I just can't imagine leaving Brenda right now [she always stayed home with Morey.] She's such a senior dog and I'm praying she has an easy time as she ages. And, leaving her makes me nuts.

Cindy, please give John a big, big hug from me. I hope he heals quickly and has no further problems from this stone.

Roz, As you know, I am rarely at a loss for words. But I don't even know what to say to you anymore to make you feel better. I feel so helpless right now. I'm so sad for you and wish I had the right words to make it better.

Fairborne, Don't you know junk food heals all? We rarely go to Mickey D's but he had a craving for it. It was 3pm and he hadn't eaten since the night before. He scoffed that burger down in record time! :eek:

LOL! I think I will try that one on myself when I'm back on my seafood diet! that's "see food and eat it" diet! ;):D. But I do know that hunger feeling after minor surgery I was starving and could have eaten a scabby horse! :eek:

Roz, As you know, I am rarely at a loss for words. But I don't even know what to say to you anymore to make you feel better. I feel so helpless right now. I'm so sad for you and wish I had the right words to make it better.

Cindy, no one is more lost than me right now. Thank you for showing your love and caring....your warmth and strength is contagious and helpful!

Thank goodness for my children who are surrounding me. My fear is when they go home this weekend. Then it's the furbabies and me.

I went from my father's home to my husband's....I've never been alone. And, I lived with Morey for more than half my life.....it's going to be hard.

Roz - ah dear Brenda - my heart is breaking for her, she is so loving and missing her Dad. I can hardly see as I write this, big tears. They have a routine and she's following what normally happens - "poor old wifie" as my DH would say. Wifie is Scottish for wife or lady. Give her and Horton big hugs from me.

I know how you feel about our animal pals as they get older, it's so hard to leave them anyway, but when they are getting on .... You'll know what to do when it is time to make a decision about your cruise.

Big hugs to you as well. Take care of yourself dear lady.

Now Cindy - I have never heard before of the healing powers of McDonalds! LOL! ;):eek:

Thank you for your very special words.....My dogs mean the world to me. And, Brenda and I have some very important history together. She'll always have my heart and soul.

LOL! I think I will try that one on myself when I'm back on my seafood diet! that's "see food and eat it" diet! ;):D. But I do know that hunger feeling after minor surgery I was starving and could have eaten a scabby horse! :eek:

Scabby horse? OMG Too funny!

Cindy, no one is more lost than me right now. Thank you for showing your love and caring....your warmth and strength is contagious and helpful!

Thank goodness for my children who are surrounding me. My fear is when they go home this weekend. Then it's the furbabies and me.

I went from my father's home to my husband's....I've never been alone. And, I lived with Morey for more than half my life.....it's going to be hard.

Well being alone is something I know alot about, so I can help you there. You are one tough lady, so I have no doubt you will be fine. You have alot of family and friends to help you out, and of course you have the dogs. They will be a big help. I had my chocolate lab, and he helped me out alot. Dogs have great healing powers! Plus you have us!!!!

Edited by rangeley

Scabby horse? OMG Too funny!

I was driving past our nearest McDonalds today, and was laughing thinking about John and his "recovery burger"! But I was so good, I did not divert, and awarded myself a nice treat when I got home for resisting those yummy fries and a MacChicken Sandwich! :p. Why is it when you really want to not have something, you can really taste them??? :eek:

Thank you for your very special words.....My dogs mean the world to me. And, Brenda and I have some very important history together. She'll always have my heart and soul.

We are so blessed to have our dogs - whether they are service, assistance or pets. I met two newly adopted huskies yesterday. Our friends have adopted then from an animal charity and my goodness what a handful they are! The two girls were in the charity kennels for over a year and are both 5 years old, not sisters but great pals. How I enjoyed watching them enjoying their new home in a lovely big outdoor run with a kennel for shelter and then their fabulous new beds in doggy cages in the house fitted out with cosy, comfy dog mattresses, and soft toys to cuddle! They have endless energy and I think quite wear my friend out! LOL!

These two girls have had a sorry life so far, but to see them now with my friend and the relationship they have with one another in only a few weeks is quite incredible. It was quite obvious they love their new home and their new people.

Some terrible things happen to these animals but what is quite incredible is their amazing resilience to adapt to new surroundings and make the most of it when good eventually does come their way.

I can hardly wait for the fun and games when they get to meet our two! :eek:

Just dropping in to say Hi and spread Hugs around to all that need them. Things are getting settled here but hard to believe that Mae isn't here. Ed and I are staying at her house for now and trying to get things settled. We are enjoying the time away from home and we went home to bring our cats up here with us----now we all have a vacation home to come to once in awhile.

Roz---I know it is hard but you will get through it with the help of the fur babies and your friends and family. Wish I were closer so I could baby sit for you. Do go on your cruise, I know Morey would want you to do that. He might even be on this one with you. Just take it a day, at a time. Time helps to heal. Hugs and thinking of you.

Cindy===terrible that John had to go through the operation, just to find out it was an infection that was causing this pain. Mickey D's, next time I will know where to go. :D

To everyone else---hugs to you too and have a great weekend.

Thank you for all your great experience/information. I have been on a cruise when I had vision in 2006. I am legally blind now, enough lost vision that I had to use a cane and just returned home from guide dog school in NY. We are a new team graduating in January. I am going on a disney cruise with my husband and 11 yo son, and my daughter and her new family (two year old twins and newlywed husband). This is technically a honeymoon with one set of parents. I am excited but nervous. I am weighing the pros and cons of taking my GD. I will be with my family the whole time so figured i could use them as sighted guide -I was looking forward to having my dog bond with me more and having the fun experience of cruising. But, there are so many circumstances that I think he would be crated like on excursions and Bahama Islands as their laws are significantly different than US-. I guess I am trying to figure out if the work or benefit to him/me is enough for the work. Can you help with the pro and con list? Thank you ~

Where is your cruise going? While the Bahamas doesn't have access laws, they are typically good about allowing service dogs access if they know about service dogs (many know about them from American TV and movies) or once you educate them about what service dogs are and how they behave (i.e. explain to cab drivers that the dog will just lay on the floor of the van [most taxis are vans] the whole time). I take land trips to the Bahamas at least once a year for a few weeks and my service dog goes everywhere with me and we hardly ever have a problem. BTW, the import permit for the Bahamas is free for service dogs.

My service dog also goes on all cruise excursions with me. Obviously, I don't go zip-lining, LOL! Not my cup of tea. (I don't like tea, either....) We did a helicopter tour (I brought doggy hearing protection for her) - that was probably the most "exciting" one we've done. Somebody has to care for your dog if you're not with him; you're not allowed to leave him in your cabin alone (at least by some cruiselines, but you wouldn't want to do it anyway).

Well being alone is something I know alot about, so I can help you there. You are one tough lady, so I have no doubt you will be fine. You have alot of family and friends to help you out, and of course you have the dogs. They will be a big help. I had my chocolate lab, and he helped me out alot. Dogs have great healing powers! Plus you have us!!!!

See, I knew you'd know exactly what to say! Love you Cindy! I just can't believe that he's gone. My darling, my best friend......I miss him so!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz---I know it is hard but you will get through it with the help of the fur babies and your friends and family. Wish I were closer so I could baby sit for you. Do go on your cruise, I know Morey would want you to do that. He might even be on this one with you. Just take it a day, at a time. Time helps to heal. Hugs and thinking of you.

Thanks so much, Trudy.

This has been one stressful week!!! We went to CT for a family lunch yesterday. Our town, which borders two of the towns in lockdown, was like a ghost town. No cars, no people. I was hoping they caught the bomber before we got back but they didn't. It was a long night until they got him! I have never been through something like this before and never want to again. We are mentally wiped out! Lets all pray for peace.

Through all this horror, I'm still thinking about you Roz. *hugs*

Edited by rangeley

This has been one stressful week!!! We went to CT for a family lunch yesterday. Our town, which borders two of the towns in lockdown, was like a ghost town. No cars, no people. I was hoping they caught the bomber before we got back but they didn't. It was a long night until they got him! I have never been through something like this before and never want to again. We are mentally wiped out! Lets all pray for peace.

So glad they caught the bomber and you are safe. Thought about you for the last two days and hoped you were not in the race or watching it.

Roz---sending hugs today and thinking of you. Have a good day.

Just checking in and saw your "green" light on!

How are you today? ... silly question I know but just wanted to say hello to you!

Sending you hugs and of course doggy hugs cos they are the best in the whole world! ;):)

All family is returning to their prospective homes today and I must admit I'm missing them terribly. It was a comfort to have the noise and craziness around me for the past 2 weeks....now, there's this eerie quiet!!!! It's absolutely maddening. Anyone up for a game of gin? I'm accepting all suggestions for getting through this.

My wonderful dogs are too busy snoring and dreaming.....some company they are!!!! I opened the patio doors to allow in the noise of the neighborhood but it seems the world is very sleepy this evening.

Cindy, I've been thinking about you and hoping that you and John were untouched.....but, I'm afraid that what maniac's like these two brother's leave behind are shattered nerves and fear.

Tonight my wonderful dogs are my company.....Brenda is snoring away and Horton is taking refuge on my bed. Thank goodness he sleeps with me and fills my lonely bed with his long, lanky legs and big body and head. He's definitely a comfort to me now. I find myself feeling for him in the middle of the night, when I suddenly become fearful!

I know this is a process......it's so tough. I can't wait to go back to work on Monday. I could stay out more but I need to be kept busy.

Cindy, it's awful.....I look for Morey at every turn.....I miss him so.........

So glad they caught the bomber and you are safe. Thought about you for the last two days and hoped you were not in the race or watching it.

Roz---sending hugs today and thinking of you. Have a good day.

Thank you. This process is so tough. And, the news these past two weeks has been so horrific, my senses are exhausted as I'm sure everyone else's are too!!!!