Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

When Morey cruised with me his favorite cabin was E717 and because of the couch, bar and extra room for Brenda & now Horton I continued to use it.

Horton's tail survived the woman and her walker!

I may have to make a sign that says, "Morey's Cabin."

Glad the tail survived. ;)

When Morey cruised with me his favorite cabin was E717 and because of the couch, bar and extra room for Brenda & now Horton I continued to use it.

Horton's tail survived the woman and her walker!

Roz, what category is this cabin? The deck plans (before May 17th) says it's a "J" Interior. I thought you preferred mini-suites?

Roz, what category is this cabin? The deck plans (before May 17th) says it's a "J" Interior. I thought you preferred mini-suites?

Go see it, you'll be surprised! It's a HC Cabin [Morey was in a wheelchair when we booked it.] It's the size of a Mini Suite with all the amenities including great access for the wheelchair. The grab rails in the bathroom were excellent for me and for Morey.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but we are thinking about getting another dog. Geez am I nuts? I really miss having my own dog. I know I have Wex but I would love my own baby. Wex needs a buddy, he's driving us crazy. I think a play pal would be great for him. He really enjoyed Bailee when she was here. What do ya think??

Cindy

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but we are thinking about getting another dog. Geez am I nuts? I really miss having my own dog. I know I have Wex but I would love my own baby. Wex needs a buddy, he's driving us crazy. I think a play pal would be great for him. He really enjoyed Bailee when she was here. What do ya think??

Cindy

Yeah! Another doggy baby - go for it! :D We can all be "Aunties"! :p;)

We had our girl dog first and the boy dog came when she was a few months old - what a difference that made to us and to her! She had started doing all that puppy biting stuff - on me mainly - and I couldn't bite back! But the boy dog could, and so that sorted that out nonsense right away. They became best of buddies almost instantly and I just love their close relationship which has developed with their quite different personalities. He is a big, goofy boy and she always has her own agenda! I firmly believe that all dogs need a doggy pal. Sometimes it's just not possible or practical to have more than one, but if you can, then it's just great!

What kind of dog you thinking about having Cindy?

Yeah! Another doggy baby - go for it! :D We can all be "Aunties"! :p;)

We had our girl dog first and the boy dog came when she was a few months old - what a difference that made to us and to her! She had started doing all that puppy biting stuff - on me mainly - and I couldn't bite back! But the boy dog could, and so that sorted that out nonsense right away. They became best of buddies almost instantly and I just love their close relationship which has developed with their quite different personalities. He is a big, goofy boy and she always has her own agenda! I firmly believe that all dogs need a doggy pal. Sometimes it's just not possible or practical to have more than one, but if you can, then it's just great!

What kind of dog you thinking about having Cindy?

A lab of course!! It would be a dog that did not make it to be a service dog. So it would be around 2yrs old and all trained. :D

Cindy

Why not puppy raise?

A lab of course!! It would be a dog that did not make it to be a service dog. So it would be around 2yrs old and all trained. :D

Sounds like the perfect pet to me, as well as providing a great home to the dog that didn't quite make the cut. In fact, I was going to suggest you contact your agency and ask where the dogs that started training and didn't make the cut ended up!

Please share with us how you go about bringing a dog like this into your family. While I can't have one in my home, my son can't wait to move out so that he can get a dog.

Do they ever use greyhounds for SDs? I think a greyhound is what he will need. He wants a dog that can go on 5 mile runs with him every morning. Is there a breed that could do that once it was worked up?

Edited by Algebralovr

Mornin' all:

Ummm, Ms. Cindy did you think any of us would say "Oh no, not another dog. You have your hands full with Wex and John." Well, if you thought that then you are more than a little slow, like you said in one of your other posts! I say "GO FOR IT WOMAN!" :D Yes, I yelled that. Are you going to try for a girl? Yellow or black? Details, details. Wexy will just be beside himself, with a playmate.

Sounds like the perfect pet to me, as well as providing a great home to the dog that didn't quite make the cut. In fact, I was going to suggest you contact your agency and ask where the dogs that started training and didn't make the cut ended up!

Please share with us how you go about bringing a dog like this into your family. While I can't have one in my home, my son can't wait to move out so that he can get a dog.

Do they ever use greyhounds for SDs? I think a greyhound is what he will need. He wants a dog that can go on 5 mile runs with him every morning. Is there a breed that could do that once it was worked up?

They do not use greyhounds. Mostly labs and goldens.

Mornin' all:

Ummm, Ms. Cindy did you think any of us would say "Oh no, not another dog. You have your hands full with Wex and John." Well, if you thought that then you are more than a little slow, like you said in one of your other posts! I say "GO FOR IT WOMAN!" :DYes, I yelled that. Are you going to try for a girl? Yellow or black? Details, details. Wexy will just be beside himself, with a playmate.

I know that you wouldn't say no. I just went down to the manager and asked about having another dog. He's going to check into it. We might not be able to have another big dog. They used to only let little dogs but I didn't see a weight limit on their website, it just said "with managers approval". So we will see. My first choice would be a little black girl. But I have talked to the people that raised Wex, and if their pup doesn't make it, they will recommend us for the adoption. That dog is a black male.

No way!! I'm not busting my butt to train a puppy and then have to give it up! Are you crazy? :D Besides I'm trying to avoid the puppy stage and get a fully trained dog.

Cindy,

You keep saying "fully trained" Just remember there are ALOT of reasons why a dog doesn't make it through the CCI program. Some not so good. Some get released for nipping and jumping. Some get released because they can't stand to be left alone and bark and whine. And many more reasons. You may not get an "almost Wex".

Edited by DisneyKidsDad

Hi Roz - how you doing? :)

Hi, I'm hanging on by a thin thread. My thin thread is being held together by two Black Labs. They're the reason I can face each lonely night and each new morning. They keep me busy, feeding, grooming and picking-up poop!

Thank you CCI for providing my life with joy and laughter. They're my great escape from reality, then my reality-check and my hitching post to life!

Thank you for asking!

Cindy,

You keep saying "fully trained" Just remember there are ALOT of reasons why a dog doesn't make it through the CCI program. Some not so good. Some get released for nipping and jumping. Some get released because they can't stand to be left alone and bark and whine. And many more reasons. You may not get an "almost Wex".

What I meant by that is that it's obedience trained. It knows how to walk on leash, sit...etc. Wexler is excellent and cannot compare any dog to him. On the application it asks if you would take a dog that nips, barks..etc. We do live in an apartment with elderly people so we do have to be kind of fussy about the dog we will bring here. I don't even know if the landlord will approve it yet. But I have my fingers crossed.

Hi, I'm hanging on by a thin thread. My thin thread is being held together by two Black Labs. They're the reason I can face each lonely night and each new morning. They keep me busy, feeding, grooming and picking-up poop!

Thank you CCI for providing my life with joy and laughter. They're my great escape from reality, then my reality-check and my hitching post to life!

Thank you for asking!

Hang in there Roz!! You know it will get better but it will take a long time. We miss you and wish you all the best. I know you are really busy with your golf tournament and thats a good thing.

CCI [where Cindy/Disney and I got our dogs] breed, puppyraise and train Labs and the cross [Golden Retriever/Lab mix] breeds ONLY. These dogs can go on hikes and run like racers - remember, they're hunters and love to swim [well, most of them do] and, love to go on jogs and runs too!

They have a waiting list for "released" dogs who couldn't make the grade of the graduate's. Call CCI 1-800-572-2275 [572-BARK] and go on the list in your area.

I know that you wouldn't say no. I just went down to the manager and asked about having another dog. He's going to check into it. We might not be able to have another big dog. They used to only let little dogs but I didn't see a weight limit on their website, it just said "with managers approval". So we will see. My first choice would be a little black girl. But I have talked to the people that raised Wex, and if their pup doesn't make it, they will recommend us for the adoption. That dog is a black male.

Cindy, I hope you get a dog for Wex. Horton has made a world of difference in Brenny's life.....they love each other. He can make her "dance", it's so cute to watch! And, seriously, once you're picking-up from one dog what's two? :p

Cindy, I hope you get a dog for Wex. Horton has made a world of difference in Brenny's life.....they love each other. He can make her "dance", it's so cute to watch! And, seriously, once you're picking-up from one dog what's two? :p

Yeah whats another vacuum full of dog hair? Wex really needs a playmate. Him and Bailee were so fun together.

Cindy,

I can certainly see why Horton was on the "maybe this should be a "released" dog list", except for the fact that he has an amazing work ethic and is a great working dog......he is the worst "barker" at strangers-at-the-front-door kind of dog!!!!!!! He doesn't have the normal bark of a Lab.....he sounds like a blood hound with the lowest sounding "woof" you can imagine!!!!

Thanks for the info, Roz! I will hang onto it for when DS is just a wee bit closer to moving out.

Keep holding on to those two fur-balls of yours. I know they miss him just as much as you do. It takes time, but there is a lot of love to support you.