Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Yeah whats another vacuum full of dog hair? Wex really needs a playmate. Him and Bailee were so fun together.

Awwwwwww!

As happens when someone passes away there are lots of friends and family who want to stop by and keep you company. Last night my son and some friends dropped by and Horton decided [while we were in the kitchen preparing dinner] to pick up one of the dog bed's [the smaller one] and tear apart the foam.....the livingroom was askew with the stuff and eventhough we had all walked into the room he wasn't done, he started to pick it up and tear into it some more [in case we missed his first display!]

Brenda layed on her couch just watching him in disgust!

What a brat! I don't know if it's showing off or just plain distructive behavior. I put his leash on him and gave him a "time-out" in the bedroom, with the door closed, for 4 minutes [his age in years!]

He definitely came out more calm and layed on the floor watching us.

People think he's pretty funny......I think he's a dog with A.D.D.

Thanks for the info, Roz! I will hang onto it for when DS is just a wee bit closer to moving out.

Keep holding on to those two fur-balls of yours. I know they miss him just as much as you do. It takes time, but there is a lot of love to support you.

Thanks Barb. I have Horton who supplies me with lots of love and more than enough comic relief!!!!

It breaks my heart, not to be able to "fix" it, Roz. :( I wish we could all be so much more for you. After all, you give it your all to others and deserve that in return. Deep breath and lots of doggy hugs and chats.

Nancy, thank you so much for your love and support! It's a great comfort to me.

Awwwwwww!

As happens when someone passes away there are lots of friends and family who want to stop by and keep you company. Last night my son and some friends dropped by and Horton decided [while we were in the kitchen preparing dinner] to pick up one of the dog bed's [the smaller one] and tear apart the foam.....the livingroom was askew with the stuff and eventhough we had all walked into the room he wasn't done, he started to pick it up and tear into it some more [in case we missed his first display!]

What a brat! I don't know if it's showing off or just plain distructive behavior. I put his leash on him and gave him a "time-out" in the bedroom, with the door closed, for 4 minutes [his age in years!]

Oh my I hope I'm not the only one who was laughing at this naughty behaviour. OK stop laughing now ....:p

Roz, I can only imagine your face! And Miss Brenda's! That's too funny, I call our dogs the brat word too! Ours get shoved out to the yard when they are misbehaving, but they really don't care, they just start barking and telling the world what a "brat" their Mum is!! LOL! ;)

So will destructive brat be sleeping on the bare, hard floor .....?? ;):eek:

Oh my I hope I'm not the only one who was laughing at this naughty behaviour. OK stop laughing now ....:p

Roz, I can only imagine your face! And Miss Brenda's! That's too funny, I call our dogs the brat word too! Ours get shoved out to the yard when they are misbehaving, but they really don't care, they just start barking and telling the world what a "brat" their Mum is!! LOL! ;)

So will destructive brat be sleeping on the bare, hard floor .....?? ;):eek:

Oh! G-d forbid he didn't get to sleep on PaPa's side of the bed, all stretched-out and cozy. I'm lucky he leaves room for me!

Awwwwwww!

I don't know what's more funny: Horton tearing up the dog bed (twice!) or Brenda watching him in disgust! :D

I don't know what's more funny: Horton tearing up the dog bed (twice!) or Brenda watching him in disgust! :D

If you were an older woman, you'd totally understand that "disgusted" look, even from a dog! I know it all too well!!!!! Being and older, wiser and, of course, more seasoned woman myself!!!!! :p

I have Horton who supplies me with lots of love and more than enough comic relief!!!!

Roz----I think Horton was just trying to get your mind on something else, when he chewed up the bed. Sorry but I had to laugh too.

Roz---hope that your days are getting better and your nights not so bad. The love that you have from those fur balls sure should help. I am sending a big hug to you too.

Cindy----thats great if you can get the second dog. I am sure Wex will love it and you and John also.

Hello to all the rest of you. I have been distracted these past couple of weeks and things are coming together. I am so looking forward to this up coming cruise and all I want to do is rest. It has been stressfull here too. I have to go back and read some of the threads, I haven't had the time to do that.

Take care everyone and I am thinking of you even tho I haven't been on here.

Keep well everyone.

Trudy

Roz----I think Horton was just trying to get your mind on something else, when he chewed up the bed. Sorry but I had to laugh too.

Roz---hope that your days are getting better and your nights not so bad. The love that you have from those fur balls sure should help. I am sending a big hug to you too.

Cindy----thats great if you can get the second dog. I am sure Wex will love it and you and John also.

Hello to all the rest of you. I have been distracted these past couple of weeks and things are coming together. I am so looking forward to this up coming cruise and all I want to do is rest. It has been stressfull here too. I have to go back and read some of the threads, I haven't had the time to do that.

Keep well everyone.

Trudy

Trudy - I hope all is now well with you and yours. :).

I think you are right about Horton's fun and games - he was probably saying "come on Mum Roz, what can I do that's really goofy but will maybe make you laugh for a little while?"

Horton goes into doggy thinking mode - OK so that doesn't take very long then!:eek:

Then his brows furrow quizzically, he looks furtively around (you guys will recognise that look,) as the doggy light bulb comes on and he suddenly comes up with a doggy plan ... " I will chew up the doggy bed, that's bound to get a reaction ....."

But of course doggy thinking never goes beyond the actual chewing to more thinking of "yikes I will be in real trouble if I do that!"

Ah Roz, you gotta love these big lab boys, they are just so, well daft!!! LOL!

Gosh it's the first of May today, hope you all went out and washed your faces in dewy grass ....No? Ah well, me neither, so that's us all just missed another opportunity to be beautiful! :p and if you've got dogs doing what dogs do best, there is no way I would be washing my face in that grass!!! :eek:

Fairbourne: You're so funny with your descriptions of my "bad boy!"

Trudy: I hope life is settling down for you. I know your cruise will be exactly what the doctor ordered. I'm still contemplating mine in September. I'm just not ready to travel just yet!

I bought a new bed last night and both dogs took turns laying in it. Although Brenda loves the couch and Horton the bed.....they both love their "doggy" beds and since Horton thought Brenda's bed was an early evening snack it was time for a new one!!!!!!!

Cindy: How's it going with inviting a new dog into your home?

Awwwwwww!

Just love the story Roz!!!! He is a little devil isn't he? I am shocked that he would even think of doing that. :eek:

Keep well everyone.

Trudy

Trudy,Trudy,Trudy, I was getting worried about you. I'm so sorry you have alot of stress in the past month or so. It seems like a good time for a cruise. I don't like seeing everyone on here so sad. It makes me sad too. When is your cruise? The 12th?

Fairbourne: You're so funny with your descriptions of my "bad boy!"

Trudy: I hope life is settling down for you. I know your cruise will be exactly what the doctor ordered. I'm still contemplating mine in September. I'm just not ready to travel just yet!

I bought a new bed last night and both dogs took turns laying in it. Although Brenda loves the couch and Horton the bed.....they both love their "doggy" beds and since Horton thought Brenda's bed was an early evening snack it was time for a new one!!!!!!!

Cindy: How's it going with inviting a new dog into your home?

No dog yet. We are still waiting on permission from the landlord. I guess the policy is under 40lbs. Well that was the policy, I looked at the lease and online and it has no weight requirement listed. It just says fill out application and have management approval. And the dog that we MIGHT get wouldn't be until the fall. He turns in, in August.

Edited by rangeley

Well this Saturday is one of our long fundraiser days. It's the Toms River Food Festival. It runs from 12:00 to 9:00. We have to be there at 9:30 to set up. Hopefully alot of people show up and donate and maybe we can get some puppy raisers out of it too. :D

Trudy,Trudy,Trudy, I was getting worried about you. I'm so sorry you have alot of stress in the past month or so. It seems like a good time for a cruise. I don't like seeing everyone on here so sad. It makes me sad too. When is your cruise? The 12th?

Hi Cindy,

The cruise is the 11th, out of Tampa. We are going to Tampa the night before, so we start our vacation early.

Good luck with getting the ok for another dog. I think we will probably take the dog, if CCi should ever call. The 6 month time that was given to us is June, so we will see. My sons dog has the same expressions as Wex and he is so calm too. We offered to take him, but my son wouldn't go for it.

Stress is almost gone. Things are coming around and we are able to do some fun things. Saturday, we are going over to my sisters for a visit. And Sunday maybe, out to dinner with a couple of friends.

Roz----sending good vibes for you. You should be ready to cruise by Sept., it would do you a world of good to get away. I am sure Murey would want you to go. I know it is hard to think about it now but by Sept., hopefully you will be ready to go.

fairbourne----things are getting better and thanks for your thoughts and wishes.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Well this Saturday is one of our long fundraiser days. It's the Toms River Food Festival. It runs from 12:00 to 9:00. We have to be there at 9:30 to set up. Hopefully alot of people show up and donate and maybe we can get some puppy raisers out of it too. :D

Way to go Den! Raise lots of money for this wonderful organization! :D

Hi Cindy,

The cruise is the 11th, out of Tampa. We are going to Tampa the night before, so we start our vacation early.

Good luck with getting the ok for another dog. I think we will probably take the dog, if CCi should ever call. The 6 month time that was given to us is June, so we will see. My sons dog has the same expressions as Wex and he is so calm too. We offered to take him, but my son wouldn't go for it.

Stress is almost gone. Things are coming around and we are able to do some fun things. Saturday, we are going over to my sisters for a visit. And Sunday maybe, out to dinner with a couple of friends.

Roz----sending good vibes for you. You should be ready to cruise by Sept., it would do you a world of good to get away. I am sure Murey would want you to go. I know it is hard to think about it now but by Sept., hopefully you will be ready to go.

fairbourne----things are getting better and thanks for your thoughts and wishes.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Wish we were going with you! Wex would be so excited to see you again. You really need this cruise and some relaxation.

Just love the story Roz!!!! He is a little devil isn't he? I am shocked that he would even think of doing that. :eek:

Cindy, what was CCI thinking when they graduated this dog....."Oh! He's so smart and such a great partner for someone.....so what if he barks like a banshee and loves to tear-up anything made of foam or chew toys!" "Everything he does WELL will make-up for all the destruction he'll cause!!!!" :eek:

Horton is a brilliant worker but he's a "show-off" and that makes me crazy!!!! There's room for only one of those in this family! :rolleyes: :p

Cindy, what was CCI thinking when they graduated this dog....."Oh! He's so smart and such a great partner for someone.....so what if he barks like a banshee and loves to tear-up anything made of foam or chew toys!" "Everything he does WELL will make-up for all the destruction he'll cause!!!!" :eek:

Horton is a brilliant worker but he's a "show-off" and that makes me crazy!!!! There's room for only one of those in this family! :rolleyes: :p

Sometimes we wonder how Wex made it too. He doesn't like loud noises. I remember when we got him, he was scared of the bus noise and pulled John out of the chair. The other night we went to a fundraiser at the VFW or ELKS, something like that. It was a very crowded room with lots of people and loud music. He would not lay under the table. He had his head on my lap or Johns the whole night. He seems to be very uncomfortable in those situations. I finally took him outside and he was happy. He is usually very well behaved in public, but not in that kind of situation.

Oh and he's destroyed many toys too!!! :eek: He also likes to rip out the stuffing.

Sometimes we wonder how Wex made it too. He doesn't like loud noises. I remember when we got him, he was scared of the bus noise and pulled John out of the chair. The other night we went to a fundraiser at the VFW or ELKS, something like that. It was a very crowded room with lots of people and loud music. He would not lay under the table. He had his head on my lap or Johns the whole night. He seems to be very uncomfortable in those situations. I finally took him outside and he was happy. He is usually very well behaved in public, but not in that kind of situation.

Oh and he's destroyed many toys too!!! :eek: He also likes to rip out the stuffing.

Yep!!!! They're definitely related......Horton doesn't mind the loud noises.....he snores right through them or he over "alerts" me to them. And, if it "squeaks" it no long will after Horton's done with it!!!! He'll tear out the stuffing and then remove the squeaker....he won't swollow it, but he will leave the squeakers laying all over the house so someone will invariably step on them. :p

Brenda had her own weirdness issues but she was NOT destructive. She has the same toys "in tact" that she had when I brought her home over 11 years ago!!!!!

Mornin'

Reno pulled squeakers out, too! He also power chewed his toys. I patched up a couple of them, then gave up and got him his Kong. He loved his kong. I also found him the ball kong. He didn't like it as much as the pyramid one. Also didn't like the new kong I got him. Never touched it. Kept the old standby. Good thing.

Roz: Was Horty just jeolous that you had company? Or maybe your son reminded him of his Morey? Here I go trying to be the doggie psyche!

Everyone have a good weekend!

Mornin'

Reno pulled squeakers out, too! He also power chewed his toys. I patched up a couple of them, then gave up and got him his Kong. He loved his kong. I also found him the ball kong. He didn't like it as much as the pyramid one. Also didn't like the new kong I got him. Never touched it. Kept the old standby. Good thing.

Roz: Was Horty just jeolous that you had company? Or maybe your son reminded him of his Morey? Here I go trying to be the doggie psyche!

Everyone have a good weekend!

I think there's some of "you remind me of Morey" thing going on but my son has a tendancy to wrestle with Horton and Horton's just being playful. A little too much but still just having fun!!!! This dog is a true "man's" dog!!!!

Well, I just got off the phone with Princess's Customer Relations Dept. I sent them a letter to see if they could get me some kind of credit for my missed/no insurance cruise. They gave me an upgrade on my upcoming cruise, which was very nice [i thought!] Of course, they only offered this when I mentioned this blog on Cruise Critic!!!! Do you think the "views" and "hits" numbers made any difference to them?

Awwwww! The power of Cruise Critic.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I think there's some of "you remind me of Morey" thing going on but my son has a tendancy to wrestle with Horton and Horton's just being playful. A little too much but still just having fun!!!! This dog is a true "man's" dog!!!!

Well, I just got off the phone with Princess's Customer Relations Dept. I sent them a letter to see if they could get me some kind of credit for my missed/no insurance cruise. They gave me an upgrade on my upcoming cruise, which was very nice [i thought!] Of course, they only offered this when I mentioned this blog on Cruise Critic!!!! Do you think the "views" and "hits" numbers made any difference to them?

Awwwww! The power of Cruise Critic.

I would think so Roz but I hope they did it with a sense of decency and "the right thing" as well. It was nice of them as I imagine they didn't have to do anything, but on the other hand I think that is the least they could do, as we ALL know the ship sailed with your cabin occupied and paid for - twice!

I hope you are now in a lovely big suite! :).