Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

It is good that CCI is going to work with the VA to provide qualified service dogs for the Vets that truly need them. A couple of problems I see, my opinion. Is the Vet truly in need of a PTSD dog,or are they faking it? My son has seen some people fake their PTSD to get out of things. What would it do to the real PTSD vets now that have trained their dog to help them? I wish them all good luck with the training and future training of the public,also. Susan

Susan, there are a lot of folks who are skeptical about this but who also know that CCI is a very reputable organization and they're not going to put that reputation on the line. And, they've got the VA overseeing this project [not that they're as good as they should be] but, with both of them watching hopefully the study will bring help to those who genuinely need and deserve these amazing dogs.

We'll see!

on a somewhat related note - I urge everyone to read the article below about how the military classifies military dogs as "equipment" rather than "personnel". If a military dog is retired while overseas the animal is not entitled to a return flight home and is in effect abandoned unless someone is willing to pay the expense of shipping the dog home...

be sure and check out the photos of military dogs and their handlers in the slide show.

absolutely a horrible practice in my opinion - if you agree please contact your elected officials to ask that this be changed.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/386953/dont-abandon-our-dogs-war-jonah-goldberg

Edited by alexspepa

on a somewhat related note - I urge everyone to read the article below about how the military classifies military dogs as "equipment" rather than "personnel". If a military dog is retired while overseas the animal is not entitled to a return flight home and is in effect abandoned unless someone is willing to pay the expense of shipping the dog home...

be sure and check out the photos of military dogs and their handlers in the slide show.

absolutely a horrible practice in my opinion - if you agree please contact your elected officials to ask that this be changed.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/386953/dont-abandon-our-dogs-war-jonah-goldberg

The saddest part is that some of these dogs can't even be "change-of-career" dogs and adopted by Orgs. to be redirected to do other jobs here in the states, because what they've done overseas is so engrained in their brain that they're coming back with PTSD themselves. It's such a heartbreaker.

The story that we're reading about these dogs really bothered me so I spoke to a colleague who served in Afganistan, he did not have a Military Dog but worked beside many of these amazing heroes.

He said, the dogs who did not fly home with their handlers were sent back to training camps and then flown with other soldiers at a later time [during their wait to go home, they're kept in the kennels, cared for and treated well.] He said it's not true that these war dogs were let loose in the desert to fend for themselves. Absolutely NOT TRUE.

He said he was involved in getting the necessary forms for these dogs [similar to the forms that we have to have when cruising with our SD's], in order to get them ready for the flight home.

He said the dogs were treated with great respect and not discarded like rubbish, as this article would have us believe.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The story that we're reading about these dogs really bothered me so I spoke to a colleague who served in Afganistan, he did not have a Military Dog but worked beside many of these amazing heroes.

He said, the dogs who did not fly home with their handlers were sent back to training camps and then flown with other soldiers at a later time [during their wait to go home, they're kept in the kennels, cared for and treated well.] He said it's not true that these war dogs were let loose in the desert to fend for themselves. Absolutely NOT TRUE.

He said he was involved in getting the necessary forms for these dogs [similar to the forms that we have to have when cruising with our SD's], in order to get them ready for the flight home.

He said the dogs were treated with great respect and not discarded like rubbish, as this article would have us believe.

I certainly would prefer that version to the one in the article...will try to do some more research.

thanks Roz

Dkd, that davis is such a cutie!!

Roz, glad you made it through the weekend. I knew you would. You have great kids!!

I have a question about the ptsd dogs. Do they have public access? Are they considered emotional support dogs?

After CCI and the VA work with the handler in the Team Training process [just like we did] they will receive public access. They will be followed for a 18month period and be retested [just like we are] and again will receive public access - These dogs will perform "tasks" for the handler and will NOT be considered "Emotional Support" dogs.[as we know emotional support dogs do NOT have public access.]

The whole point of these dogs is to be with their handler in all aspects of their lives so public access will be very important for them.

In case you're wondering why I haven't posted any adorable puppy photos yet, it is because an issue came up that caused me to postpone my trip a couple weeks. I'm going at the end of next week instead. Don't want you all to think I've forgotten your need to see as many puppy photos as possible for people to post on this thread! ;)

As for PTSD SDs, some are really ESAs that people (and even some bad organizations) try to pass off as SDs, but there are also some that really are task-trained SDs. They can alert their person when the person is dissociating and bring them back into reality by pawing, jumping, etc. at them until they respond. There is a video on YouTube of a PTSD SD doing that. They can alert when someone is coming up behind the person, go in the house to search for intruders or other things, lead the person to a safe place/outside of a store, etc.

In case you're wondering why I haven't posted any adorable puppy photos yet, it is because an issue came up that caused me to postpone my trip a couple weeks. I'm going at the end of next week instead. Don't want you all to think I've forgotten your need to see as many puppy photos as possible for people to post on this thread! ;)

As for PTSD SDs, some are really ESAs that people (and even some bad organizations) try to pass off as SDs, but there are also some that really are task-trained SDs. They can alert their person when the person is dissociating and bring them back into reality by pawing, jumping, etc. at them until they respond. There is a video on YouTube of a PTSD SD doing that. They can alert when someone is coming up behind the person, go in the house to search for intruders or other things, lead the person to a safe place/outside of a store, etc.

I'm glad you're still going. And, YES, we do need puppy pictures. How can we know how the babies are doing if we don't have puppy pictures. You owe us big time!!!!

I hope you're doing well and that your retiring girl is holding up too!

Fairbourne, how's Aruba doing? And, Trudy what's happening with Pepper?

Horton and I are getting down the luggage tomorrow to put our luggage tags on and laying out clothes, fancy collars, ear med's., toys, etc., etc..

Next week poor Horton will be so busy. He has a Vet appointment on Monday to get his paperwork done, on Thursday he has a groomer appointment and in between we have two events to go to and shopping, ironing, packing....so much to do but it's all good because once I hit that ship......I'm in vacation mode!!!!:D

I'm glad you're still going. And, YES, we do need puppy pictures. How can we know how the babies are doing if we don't have puppy pictures. You owe us big time!!!!

I hope you're doing well and that your retiring girl is holding up too!

:D Everyone loves puppies!

She is doing well, just had her annual exam today. We'll find out tomorrow the results of her distemper and parvo titers - it will be interesting to see if the immunity survived the chemo or not. She does need to lose weight, though, as she has been to sedentary while I've been recovering from my foot injury since the beginning of July. (Hey, at least I have graduated from the walker to a cane! I need to get out more now.)

:D Everyone loves puppies!

She is doing well, just had her annual exam today. We'll find out tomorrow the results of her distemper and parvo titers - it will be interesting to see if the immunity survived the chemo or not. She does need to lose weight, though, as she has been to sedentary while I've been recovering from my foot injury since the beginning of July. (Hey, at least I have graduated from the walker to a cane! I need to get out more now.)

Good for you Quam. I'm so glad to hear that she and you are hanging tough. I hope that both of you continue to do well. ♥

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Oh, and she ain't retiring quite yet! ;) Still needs to work until at least February, as we have an immediate family member's wedding that we're in during December, then our annual Bahamas trip in January (life is just SO hard for a service dog, LOL! :p ). Busy times!

That's the best news yet! Yeah, our Service Dogs have a really rough life; weddings, cruises....poor babies! ;)

We finally got baby pictures of Davis from the CCI Breeder/Caretaker. Here he is at less than 8 weeks old. He don't look like that no more!! :eek:

b078f88c-4928-4525-ae37-49a29e8b1abf.jpg

Oh my want, want, want more puppies! They are so cute at this age ..... :D

Quam - yes we want more puppies photos - gosh we sound like Cruella deville in 101 Dalmatians when she shouts "Get me those puuuupies ...l !" ;):D. Glad your beautiful girl is doing well.

Edited by fairbourne

Roz I'm so glad you asked your colleague about the working army dogs - I know they're taken good care of here and are very often retired with their handler. Sadly some of them don't come home. My DH bought a book that tells the story of such a dog and his handler and their time in active service - I've yet to read it, I don't think I want to even though they're both safe now, but I just know there will be bits of that book that I do not want to read. It's the same with War Horse - we bought the DVD ages ago, I just can't bring myself to watch it either.

Hi Aunty Roz

I went to the beach, I went to the beach! .... It was great fun and I jumped into the water right away, what a shock I got, I was soaking wet, I had no idea ...... And yuck it was soo salty! Mum was laughing so much I thought she was going to need to go behind a rock to pee pee!

But I loved the sand and chasing after Poppy, Max kept up too in spite of his sore hip. It was a beautiful sunny day and there were other dogs there too, but Mum had m e on a long, long lead when we got near them - that I've never seen this lead before, but it was good as I was able to say hello but stay close to Mum.

I tried some of that seaweed stuff but didn't really like it too much. Poppy found a smelly old long dead bird - Dad thought it looked like a bird of prey, maybe a buzzard. The sea is so big Aunty Roz, and it was quite cold so I didn't venture back in again, just my paws!

We then went for a nice picnic in the woods and I got a lovely treat for being a good girl and coming back to my whistle. I did Aunty Roz, I did, I ran all along the beach right back to Mum when I heard my whistle - Mum was so pleased with me.

I've heard talk that we might be going back soon, I do hope so as we all had such a great time.

I'm quite big now so we don't all fit in the dog box in Mum's car, so we are taking it in turns to have two of us in there and one in the car - Max gets his own cover on the back seat, which is good for him and his hip, he can lie out.

The beach where we went you have to pay and display - the princely sum of £1 - and we did. Dad said its wrong not to as the Forestry Commission keep the place nice and tidy and accessible for everyone, including a boardwalk for wheelchair users down to the beach. When we got back to the car park, there was a family, in two cars, and they hadn't bought a pay and display and came back to find they had indeed got a ticket alright - a £50 fine, each car! Hard lesson!

Dad has been on holiday this week, so we've had lots of fun with him when he's been working in the garden. He tells us he's got this "list" from Mum that he working on .... he loves pottering about so I don't think much of the "list" is getting done! And of course Poppy has to have her ball thrown for her ALL the time!

Puppy hugs to you all and my doggy pals xxxxx

Love Aruba xxxxxx

image.jpg.ca67ea8884f802279323cd5253756a21.jpg

Another beach view - Roz this beach lies on the Moray coast - pronounced "Murray" - I was thinking about your Morey! :). I wonder how his name was pronounced?

This coastline is one that cruisers will see in all it's glory as they sail into Invergorden for a port stop (Inverness visit) if on a British Isles cruise. You can see blocks on the beach - they are the submarine/invasion blockades from World War II, when all of Scotland's beaches had blocks and gun placements on them. The tide was in, so we didn't see the beach in all it's golden glory. You can just about see the DH and the dogs.

DKD, I have opened a photobucket account and uploaded some photos, and then copied the link to post on here, but then it's telling me invalid link. What link should I be using for this site please? :)

image.jpg.04d5917a0c2e7e3a97299774b6b80a5a.jpg

Another beach view - Roz this beach lies on the Moray coast - pronounced "Murray" - I was thinking about your Morey! :). I wonder how his name was pronounced?

This coastline is one that cruisers will see in all it's glory as they sail into Invergorden for a port stop (Inverness visit) if on a British Isles cruise. You can see blocks on the beach - they are the submarine/invasion blockades from World War II, when all of Scotland's beaches had blocks and gun placements on them. The tide was in, so we didn't see the beach in all it's golden glory. You can just about see the DH and the dogs.

DKD, I have opened a photobucket account and uploaded some photos, and then copied the link to post on here, but then it's telling me invalid link. What link should I be using for this site please? :)

When you want to share a picture here from Photobucket try this.

Click on the picture you want to share. Then where is says "share links", click next to the one that says Direct. You should see it flash copied. Then come back here and click on the yellow icon that looks like a postcard of a mountain. Then paste. The photo should then show up here.

Just like this!!

11406a0b-39d5-4ad7-bcc2-8abc36c90551.jpg

Quam, great news. Im so glad your baby is doing well.

Roz, Quam was saying what i was thinking when i asked about the ptsd dogs. I am worried that we might be putting too many dogs out there as sds. With the abuse that is going on now with all the fake dogs. I feel that any ailment can get a dog now. Know what i mean?

This typing on my phone is just horrible. Please excuse any mistakes i may make. Im going to need a guide dog trying to type on this tiny thing. Not having a computer is horrible. :mad:

So, I was very busy yesterday and ya'll decide to come on here and be Chatty Patty's! Pfttt. Well, I got all caught up, so there.

Roz: I just love, love, did I say love Cindyrella! I miss the laugh out louds we use to get going on here.

Quam: So glad you are doing better and pupper too!

Fairbourne: What a great story Ms. Aruba has to share. Love reading all about her adventures. Sounds like she is growing up to be quite a young lady! Although her picture on the beach almost looks like she could be staring off in to space, thinking up something clever to do!

DKD: As usual that Davis boy is so handsome! He is just about all growed up!

Cindy: Good to see you back, even though I hate texting on my phone too! I wanted to say "knew" and it insisted that I wanted to say "knees"! If only.......

♥ to all, hope you all have a great weekend.

acttr?p=YTM4MTA2MDUyNDIdV0I5O%2BIdRhNuv8cQ6lr8DeBgGoNz8dw6IgwCiT2w00GSKIxMtyR%2BhO%2BIL440mlwUnhyVDpvket8rI5aDSSTDGDJyQSWIZWD2hS7nPG9t6X9uV6sjBxAYoNI%2FzauL2s0bQ6QVrbkvCKI4t9f%2BGkLkbpY9Zbws6iIsSo4SofxciQ%3D%3D&m=FP30_%3A_not_top&t=1410532457867