Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi everybody. Moving is so full of tasks - today, we finally got around to making appointments with a new doctor for me and new vet for Hearing Dog Raylene ...at one of only two vets in our area that are USDA-certified, per the state USDA vet office.

The great news is that the vet is only three miles from our new home!

We'll go in next week and take all her records to establish a relationship and be ready to get her next APHIS 7001 close to our next cruise in December. Easy ports paperwork-wise - just San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

We'll also be cruising through the Panama Canal next April, so will need to research those ports.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and condolences!

We were supposed to bury my girl this afternoon, but it was crazy pouring out, so we will bury her in the morning.

Roz, a long time ago, I got her pawprint made - it was a kit I bought somewhere that you mailed in your dog's pawprint in the provided clay and they mailed you back a faux bronzed paw they made from the imprint that is mounted on a wood plaque that also has a place for a photo. I don't know what the paw is made of, but it is pretty cool. Oh, and there's an engraved name plate below the paw. I have no idea if the kit is still sold, but I would recommend it!

Congratulations to the one who is at Team Training - what an exciting time! It will be great to hear all about your new service dog when you are allowed to tell us!

To the ones wondering what the country requirements are, could you please list the countries you're going to? The post was a little hard to understand.

Roz, only a USDA-approved/accredited vet can fill out an international health certificate. USDA endorsement is different - that is when you send/take your paperwork to the regional USDA office for them to make sure it fits all the requirements, then they stamp a seal on the health certificate before giving them back to you. Thankfully, only some countries require endorsement, as it can be a pain. (Also thankfully, the fee is waived for service dogs if you include proof of the dog's training.)

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words and condolences!

We were supposed to bury my girl this afternoon, but it was crazy pouring out, so we will bury her in the morning.

Roz, a long time ago, I got her pawprint made - it was a kit I bought somewhere that you mailed in your dog's pawprint in the provided clay and they mailed you back a faux bronzed paw they made from the imprint that is mounted on a wood plaque that also has a place for a photo. I don't know what the paw is made of, but it is pretty cool. Oh, and there's an engraved name plate below the paw. I have no idea if the kit is still sold, but I would recommend it!

Congratulations to the one who is at Team Training - what an exciting time! It will be great to hear all about your new service dog when you are allowed to tell us!

To the ones wondering what the country requirements are, could you please list the countries you're going to? The post was a little hard to understand.

Roz, only a USDA-approved/accredited vet can fill out an international health certificate. USDA endorsement is different - that is when you send/take your paperwork to the regional USDA office for them to make sure it fits all the requirements, then they stamp a seal on the health certificate before giving them back to you. Thankfully, only some countries require endorsement, as it can be a pain. (Also thankfully, the fee is waived for service dogs if you include proof of the dog's training.)

Yes, I know....My point was that my Vet has filled out all the paperwork and we've been all over the world with Brenda, with his endorsement ONLY! The only time we were questioned more about the paperwork was once in Brazil and then again in Italy.....after a bit of a delay and a higher Immigration official to come over and inspect Brenda and the paperwork we were waved through!

I'll be traveling through the Panama Canal in November, 2016 with updated paperwork from the same Vet. I don't anticipate any problems.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Dear Wexler,

We haven't hear from you in a while. Your Mom got a new computer so that's not the problem.....now, we're starting to worry that something's wrong with Dad or you or even her.

Wex, please tell Mom to just come on for a second and let us know that "all is well!"

Hope everyone is okay and your all just busy with summer fun stuff. Maybe you're busy cruising and forgot to tell us!

We hope your staying cool big boy.

Miss you,

Love,

Aunty Roz & Horton

Dear Wexler,

We haven't hear from you in a while. Your Mom got a new computer so that's not the problem.....now, we're starting to worry that something's wrong with Dad or you or even her.

Wex, please tell Mom to just come on for a second and let us know that "all is well!"

Hope everyone is okay and your all just busy with summer fun stuff. Maybe you're busy cruising and forgot to tell us!

We hope your staying cool big boy.

Miss you,

Love,

Aunty Roz & Horton

Today they are on their way to the CCI graduation on Long island, NY tomorrow.

Today is graduation day for Dianne. CONGRATULATIONS DIANNE AND "FRIEND!" I hope all has gone well for you and that you have your Service Dog. It's a long grueling process and by the time you graduate, you're exhausted, elated, thrilled and in love with a furry, four-legged being!

Have a restful and good weekend everyone. We're supposed to be around 110degrees where Horton and I live. We're going to stay where the air conditioning is running FULL BLAST! :D

Jagger passed his CGC (Canine Good Citizenship) test today! I joke that I tricked him and told him that he had to know the names of all the presidents as well as the Preamble to the Constitution.

In other news, in about three weeks Jagger is going to college! I'll miss him while he is gone, but I can have overnights and visit him. They are going to do the advanced task training for my specific needs.

Going to also ask them to work on his going to the bathroom in a boxed area. I'll just take the tinkle turf or we'll build a box with sod.

I'm trying not to be sad that he'll be gone because I am lucky enough that I'll see him, plus still go to class with him on Saturdays.

By the way, Roz - they were SUPER impressed with how well he looks. The salmon oil did the trick with him eating enough, plus his coat looks incredible!

Jagger passed his CGC (Canine Good Citizenship) test today! I joke that I tricked him and told him that he had to know the names of all the presidents as well as the Preamble to the Constitution.

In other news, in about three weeks Jagger is going to college! I'll miss him while he is gone, but I can have overnights and visit him. They are going to do the advanced task training for my specific needs.

Going to also ask them to work on his going to the bathroom in a boxed area. I'll just take the tinkle turf or we'll build a box with sod.

I'm trying not to be sad that he'll be gone because I am lucky enough that I'll see him, plus still go to class with him on Saturdays.

By the way, Roz - they were SUPER impressed with how well he looks. The salmon oil did the trick with him eating enough, plus his coat looks incredible!

This is such good news. Congratulations. I'm so glad that the oil did the trick. I love how it makes their hair and nails so lusterous!

Jagger, we're going to be so proud of you. You're going to college and when you're done you're going to be able to go cruising and traveling with your mom everywhere. You're a big boy now and mom says she's going to be visiting you so make her proud.

Ok, here she is - meet Henrietta - we call her Henri. She is an English lab, golden cross. So sweet and so smart. We have been home a couple of days and trying to get into our routine. She is using the potty box my husband built like a champ. So far she and the cats are getting along well. She is such a gift and I could never thank CCI and her puppy raisers enough. I call her my angel sent from heaven.

Dianne

IMG_2571_zpsemkotkfj.jpg

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Ok, here she is - meet Henrietta - we call her Henri. She is an English lab, golden cross. So sweet and so smart. We have been home a couple of days and trying to get into our routine. She is using the potty box my husband built like a champ. So far she and the cats are getting along well. She is such a gift and I could never thank CCI and her puppy raisers enough. I call her my angel sent from heaven.

Dianne

IMG_2571_zpsemkotkfj.jpg

She is a real looker! Now all the stress of team training just melts away and you get to enjoy that "new service dog smell". :D

Enjoy every minute!!

Congratulations to Jagger for passing his test - I am sure that he is going to do well in College. I put Henri's salmon oil capsule in her food and she eats it without a problem.

Here is one more photo, the black labs are so hard to get a good picture of.

Dianne

IMG_2628_zpslu5fatxg.jpg

Edited by DUTRAVEL

Dianne

IMG_2571_zpsemkotkfj.jpg

Oh my goodness, she's beautiful! These Labrador cross golden retrievers are just gorgeous, kind and smart and I wonder who Henrietta reminds me of! ;):D I love her name - I knew a Henrietta years ago and her name was shortened to Harry! Dianne, you must be so very happy, it was a long time to wait, but oh my she's worth it! Congratulations! :D

Here is one more photo, the black labs are so hard to get a good picture of.

Dianne

IMG_2628_zpslu5fatxg.jpg

What a gorgeous princess. Love the beautiful sheen of Henri's coat.

We have a jet black Schnauzer (not a service dog) with brown eyes too and have a devil of a time getting photos that show her eyes as wall as yours show Henri's.

Congratulations to you and Henrietta. Looks like this is a match made in heaven.

Edited by Host Walt

Congratulations Jagger - your mum is so proud of you and we are too! Enjoy college Jagger and when you get home, "Grandma" will be waiting with lots of special treats!!:D;):D

What a gorgeous princess. Love the beautiful sheen of Henri's coat.

We have a jet black Schnauzer (not a service dog) with brown eyes too and have a devil of a time getting photos that show her eyes as wall as yours show Henri's.

Congratulations to you and Henrietta. Looks like this is a match made in heaven.

Oh! My! She looks like a cross between my Brenda and my Horty! I love her face and her name.....Henrietta.....Hi, Henri, welcome to our little family. We've been waiting for you, right along with your Mom. We will give you so much attention. You are so lucky to have found Dianne, your new Mom. You get to go on a cruise soon. Life is going to be very good for you.....and by the looks of all your new toys your life is going to be rich in love and laughter.

Dianne, congratulations on receiving Henrietta [don't expect to ever be able to keep her nails as short as CCI does], it's my goal but very hard to manage. And, we get them with the whitest teeth....another thing I'm trying to live up to!

Enjoy her, may she have a long and healthy life. She's so, so cute. I just love her face. The two of you will have so much fun together. They're a lot of work but so, so worth it!!!! I'm very happy for you! ♥ And for her!

Oh my goodness! Dianne, Henrietta is stunning! I'm so delighted to "meet" her! She looks very solemn...getting used to her new home, new smells, new surroundings no doubt. It's so wonderful that she has come to be your partner!

You did a wonderful job of photography - the black Labs are hard to capture. But they are such beauties!