Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Barb, I am worn out just reading it! We have had a group of young men at school (it's a fund raiser) that are promoting healthy activity for the kiddos. They are having a "lap" race today, the kids got pledges for number of laps they can run. We hear that one school in Phoenix made around $30,000 for their school. Anyways, they will be here a total of 2 weeks. Of course every time the kids see them they are over the moon and so excited.

Then yesterday was "Read with your Child", day. Parents and all inclusive are invited to the school to read with the kids in celebration of Dr. Seuss' birthday, last week. It was total chaos on top of chaos. I am still exhausted. Two more days to go!

Everyone have a Terrific Thursday...........:D

That does sound exhausting!

Dianne

Barb, I'm sending all my very best healing thoughts for your ankle. I agree with Chris about the "tired" dog. When Horton starts acting like a puppy and pulling all his toys out of his basket I know I haven't worked him hard enough or challenged him enough that day. Although, it is very cute to watch.

Nancy, you really are doing wonderful, rewarding work!

Dianne, I got tired just reading what Scooter was doing!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Has anyone ever obtained a transit permit for a Panama Canal cruise with port stops in Gatun or Colon?

I doubt we will disembark and will enjoy the canal from on deck or our balcony, but I usually try to comply with any procedures. I knew that Panama has a quarantine requirement if you are importing a small pet arriving via an airline, which involves sending your 7001 to both the USDA regional office and the embassy before the trip.

Yesterday, Holland America very helpfully sent me an email with this information that it seems applies for service dogs on cruise ships:

(From HAL) "The port of Panama has advised the vessel that the following fees will need to be met for the calls to Gatun and Colon:"

(From Panama) quote

'Please dog coming ashore will be required a Panama's Fitozanitary License ( transit ) which cost is USD $ 16.00 per each

service animal, license to be obtained locally at quarantine office through us, service animal information has to be submitted into

Quarantine Department Web page at least 96 working hours prior arrival for approval, permit to be paid at quarantine office

during working hours and does not allow cancellations once it be submitted.

Agency charges to obtain license is USD 25.00 therefore, total charges would be USD 41.00.'

end quote

(FYI I think "Fiozanitary" spelling in English is Phytosanitary.) The fee is fairly reasonable and I have no problem paying it.

I'm now trying to find out if I am the one who needs to submit something into a web page at least 96 working hours before arrival, or if their port agent is doing that...and which web page... because so far, I've only found the home quarantine forms, but no site where you actually enter info on a web page itself.

Just wondered if any of you had experience with this that you can recall.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Has anyone ever obtained a transit permit for a Panama Canal cruise with port stops in Gatun or Colon?

I doubt we will disembark and will enjoy the canal from on deck or our balcony, but I usually try to comply with any procedures. I knew that Panama has a quarantine requirement if you are importing a small pet arriving via an airline, which involves sending your 7001 to both the USDA regional office and the embassy before the trip.

Yesterday, Holland America very helpfully sent me an email with this information that it seems applies for service dogs on cruise ships:

(From HAL) "The port of Panama has advised the vessel that the following fees will need to be met for the calls to Gatun and Colon:"

(From Panama) quote

'Please dog coming ashore will be required a Panama's Fitozanitary License ( transit ) which cost is USD $ 16.00 per each

service animal, license to be obtained locally at quarantine office through us, service animal information has to be submitted into

Quarantine Department Web page at least 96 working hours prior arrival for approval, permit to be paid at quarantine office

during working hours and does not allow cancellations once it be submitted.

Agency charges to obtain license is USD 25.00 therefore, total charges would be USD 41.00.'

end quote

(FYI I think "Fiozanitary" spelling in English is Phytosanitary.) The fee is fairly reasonable and I have no problem paying it.

I'm now trying to find out if I am the one who needs to submit something into a web page at least 96 working hours before arrival, or if their port agent is doing that...and which web page... because so far, I've only found the home quarantine forms, but no site where you actually enter info on a web page itself.

Just wondered if any of you had experience with this that you can recall.

Chris, I'm doing the Panama Canal - 19 days, in November. I have a call into Princess, Access Compliance Dept. I'm going to ask if there's anything special I need to have other than the Aphis 7001 form. I will definitely let you know what & when I hear.

Unfortunately, Princess does NOT handle their "Special Needs" passengers with a personal touch. You can only reach them via email or fax. Princess, if you're reading this......SHAME ON YOU!!!

I will email them and ask them the question about special paperwork and let you know what I hear.

Thanks, Roz - I was really grateful to get that email from HAL's Access dept. I'll look forward to hearing any input, and I'll share, too! They have emailed back to advise me that they are checking with the ship on my questions.

I think John and Cindy have had good things to say about Holland America, too.The staff on the Ryndam were wonderful last April about the dog, and I'm looking forward to being on the Zuiderdam this time.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Thanks, Roz - I was really grateful to get that email from HAL's Access dept. I'll look forward to hearing any input, and I'll share, too! They have emailed back to advise me that they are checking with the ship on my questions.

I think John and Cindy have had good things to say about Holland America, too.The staff on the Ryndam were wonderful last April about the dog, and I'm looking forward to being on the Zuiderdam this time.

Chris, still no word. But, in regard to Holland America, Brenda and I were treated very, very well while onboard their ships. My DH loved boarding out of San Diego [HA does not debark out of L.A.]

My itinerary includes Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and then back to Mexico - My TA didn't think there would be any extra paperwork than what I usually provide. We'll see what Princess says when they email back. Again, I'll let you know as soon as they do.

I want to wish everyone a great weekend. We're supposed to have rain this evening into Saturday. Then we'll go back up into the 80's midweek. Weird weather is bringing out the ants and pollen.

I hope that none of you are being affected by the floods and rain.

I have been busy researching my Panama Canal cruise too and have the same question about quarantine in Panama.

I am also going to post my other questions separately. Celebrity has not told me that anything is required, other than their Service Dog Acknowledgement Form. I will try to follow up with them to see if they can give us any answers.

Dianne

I too have been busy doing my homework for our Panama Canal cruise with Henri. I have a few questions on the requirements for bringing a service dog into the countries that we will be visiting that I hope someone can answer for me.

Rabies: I don’t have an original rabies certificate and I am not listed as Henri’s owner (I have a copy of the certificate, she did not belong to me when the rabies shot was given) Is this going to be a problem? Has anyone else just had a copy of the rabies certificate to take? As for the other required vaccinations, do you have a certificate or just what is filled out on the Aphis 7001 by the vet? Some countries seem to require information that I don’t have like the manufacturer, brand name and lot number of the other vaccines.

Endoparasites: Some countries require that the dog be treated for endoparasites. Does the dog need to be treated for more than just heartworm? Is treatment for roundworms or tape worms, etc. required? Is a negative fecal test all that you need to satisfy this requirement?

Leptospirosis – Does anyone vaccinate their dog for Leptospirosis? Is it a safe vaccine? It looks like several of the countries we will be visiting will require this vaccine.

Costa Rica – Costa Rica has its own international certificate (link from the USDA Iregs). Has anyone used this form or will Costa Rica take the Aphis 7001?

Guatemala - Does anyone know if endorsement by the Guatemalan embassy is no longer required? Guatemala and Mexico require slightly different language, can you just attach the certifications as a second page to the Aphis 7001?

Panama – Has anyone visited Panama without the Aphis 7001 being endorsed by the Panamanian consulate or embassy? Is the home quarantine form required if you are not entering by airline (and not staying in the country).

Colombia – Colombia is on the list of “screw worm” countries. I am concerned because this is our last port and I will not be able to provide the required vet certificate regarding screw worm to re-enter the US. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, Dianne

I have been busy researching my Panama Canal cruise too and have the same question about quarantine in Panama.

I am also going to post my other questions separately. Celebrity has not told me that anything is required, other than their Service Dog Acknowledgement Form. I will try to follow up with them to see if they can give us any answers.

Dianne

Dianne, I have NOT heard a word from Princess and anything special needed for Panama Canal. They know I'm not cruising until November and that I have lots of time so, I imagine they're not treating me as a priority.

I too have been busy doing my homework for our Panama Canal cruise with Henri. I have a few questions on the requirements for bringing a service dog into the countries that we will be visiting that I hope someone can answer for me.

Rabies: I don’t have an original rabies certificate and I am not listed as Henri’s owner (I have a copy of the certificate, she did not belong to me when the rabies shot was given) Is this going to be a problem? Has anyone else just had a copy of the rabies certificate to take? As for the other required vaccinations, do you have a certificate or just what is filled out on the Aphis 7001 by the vet? Some countries seem to require information that I don’t have like the manufacturer, brand name and lot number of the other vaccines.

Endoparasites: Some countries require that the dog be treated for endoparasites. Does the dog need to be treated for more than just heartworm? Is treatment for roundworms or tape worms, etc. required? Is a negative fecal test all that you need to satisfy this requirement?

Leptospirosis – Does anyone vaccinate their dog for Leptospirosis? Is it a safe vaccine? It looks like several of the countries we will be visiting will require this vaccine.

Costa Rica – Costa Rica has its own international certificate (link from the USDA Iregs). Has anyone used this form or will Costa Rica take the Aphis 7001?

Guatemala - Does anyone know if endorsement by the Guatemalan embassy is no longer required? Guatemala and Mexico require slightly different language, can you just attach the certifications as a second page to the Aphis 7001?

Panama – Has anyone visited Panama without the Aphis 7001 being endorsed by the Panamanian consulate or embassy? Is the home quarantine form required if you are not entering by airline (and not staying in the country).

Colombia – Colombia is on the list of “screw worm” countries. I am concerned because this is our last port and I will not be able to provide the required vet certificate regarding screw worm to re-enter the US. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks, Dianne

Dianne, when you graduate from CCI they give you a folder on your dog. The folder contains everything that Henri received prior to you receiving her. I copied the Rabies, the Spaying info. and all vaccines that were given including a fecal exam and testing.

My Vet recommends the Leptospirosis [Horton gets this vaccine] and, when he fills out the 7001 form he adds the lot number etc. of any vaccines he gives and the form from CCI will have the lot number etc. on it too. Horton is treated for Heartworm and fleas/ticks by oral chewable, monthly. This information is on the 7001 form, too!

When a dog is coming via cruise ship some of the regulations change and they don't expect that you'll be able to get certain things done within their time limit. Same thing happens when you go to Hawaii [because they've NEVER had a reported case of rabies, they're very strict about dogs entering their islands.] They require certain titer testing to be done, within a certain period of time, when coming via air plane. Cruisers are treated differently.

NO ONE will take your dog from you to quarantine it. With all your paperwork from CCI and from your Vet you'll be well covered.

I still would like to know if there is some special testing that some of these countries will require. I WILL NOT GIVE HORTON ANOTHER RABIES SHOT, no matter what they say!!! His Rabies shots are good for 3 years and that will have to be acceptable.

If one of the countries or islands says we can't enter unless he's re-vaccinated than he won't get off the ship!!!!! No discussion about this, as far as I'm concerned. There will be NO OVER VACCINATING OF MY DOG!

Dianne, when you graduate from CCI they give you a folder on your dog. The folder contains everything that Henri received prior to you receiving her. I copied the Rabies, the Spaying info. and all vaccines that were given including a fecal exam and testing.

I still would like to know if there is some special testing that some of these countries will require. I WILL NOT GIVE HORTON ANOTHER RABIES SHOT, no matter what they say!!! His Rabies shots are good for 3 years and that will have to be acceptable.

Thanks Roz - I do have the folder from CCI - it only has the copy of the rabies certificate and only the dates the other vaccines were given (no lot numbers, etc). I am going to contact the vet in Washington that the puppy raiser took Henri to and see if I can get the other info. Hopefully they will issue a new original rabies certificate (they also do not have her full name on the certificate that I have and someone hand wrote that in).

Our ports are Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. None of these countries require blood titers, import certificates or extra vaccines (other than the Leptospirosis).

From the research I have done the fitosanitario / phytosanitary certificate only applies to agricultural products (it is the USDA equivalent form to the Aphis 7001, but covers plants and plant products instead of animals).

Dianne

PS - have a good weekend Roz!

My USDA-certified vet also suggested Leptospirosis due to our tropical climate, so it was done. I carry a list from my vet of all her inoculations and validity (when they are due again).

I carried a copy of Raylene's rabies records from Guide Dogs for the Blind, which didn't have my name on it, for about 17 months with no problem. But when I got her new three-year, I asked the vet to issue an original signed in blue ink with my name & address on it.

I'm also wondering about the endorsement/validation by the consulate or embassy, but it was not mentioned in that email I received. I am going to send my 7001 to the Florida regional office in Gainesville to be endorsed.

Also not sure about the endo/ectopic parasite thing. I'll let you know what we find out from our vet. May need a new fecal test. Last cruise, the regional office asked when a treatment for external parasites would be done, and I just mentioned the date I'd be giving her next flea and tick treatment, which apparently satisfied them.

It's great to share what we experience...

Brenda could care less about sniffing everything.....as opposed to Horton who has to sniff my clothes before I put them on, he sniffs the running board of the car before he climbs in, he sniffs my purse before I put it on my shoulder and the worst of all........He sniffs people's butts when I'm not looking.

I almost wanted to die the other day when we were waiting in line at a restaurant and he sniffed the lady in front of us......she quickly turned around and I profusely apologized, she NEVER cracked a smile or so much as said a word to me......She was NOT happy with Mr. Horton or me!!!!

Omg Roz. I can just picture that.

HAL was always great. Although access and compliance seem to suck on all lines.

We just booked next year's cruise and NCL has already sent us the dog stuff...but, the form already has our info from last cruise! We were shocked. HAL never kept any info. We never understood why we had to fill out the same forms over and over. It's a nice change.

NO ONE will take your dog from you to quarantine it. With all your paperwork from CCI and from your Vet you'll be well covered.

If one of the countries or islands says we can't enter unless he's re-vaccinated than he won't get off the ship!!!!! No discussion about this, as far as I'm concerned. There will be NO OVER VACCINATING OF MY DOG!

I agree Roz. When we first got Wexler I did all the requirements, gave extra rabies and even paid a few fees. Then I tried to find cruises that had the easiest rules. Now I don't even care. If he can't get off with health certificate then we stay on or somebody watches him while we cruised the shops at the dock. I've noticed with more dogs cruising these islands have found a way to make money off disabled people.

Hearing about Horty and his embarrassing moments..... Some of the people in our building are terrified of the dog. They won't get in the elevator with him. If one of them are in there with us, Wex sits and stares, while wagging his tail at them the whole time. We both try to grab his head and distract him but it's embarrassing and you can see terror on their faces.

His new thing is when you ask him to get and he either stretches, bows, scratches, coughs or all of the above before he will get anything. That's of course if you don't say cookie first. You have a cookie and he's speedy gonzalez!

Here's a few pics of my sweet boy. ❤

1457830677808.jpg.c1be233b7e24be0d7037a1d0272bc576.jpg

1457830693866.jpg.57a1582063874f0e5687db83f765843f.jpg

We had a pretty good class at Target today. The employees and customers were uniformly positive despite the store being invaded by six service dogs and ten people! It didn't hurt that some of us broke away from class to do a little shopping, too, I'm sure. :D

After Target, we went into the parking lot for a Canine Good Citizen Test class. We had one pass and one "needs a whole lot of work".

One thing that shocked me... This morning, I was eating alone at Haymaker, at a quiet table near the exit from the back room. A family of six walked past me, heading for the exit, or so I thought. They stopped where Darian was lying down, and the dad put his baby -- a kid barely old enough to stand up -- right in front of Darian! Before I could even get this absurdity through my head, the kid leaned forward and grabbed hold of Darian's ears.

Thank God Darian is unflappable. He didn't even lift his head. I was so proud of him, because he has virtually zero exposure to kids, so this was a totally new situation for him. I think he was just as shocked as I was! I couldn't even think of what to say to that idiot father.

And yes, Darian was in his vest AND his "do not pet" leash wrap. The whole family ignored it.

CdXS-ZaUIAEf4Nj.jpg

On the other hand, at Target, a father and daughter were in line behind me. As soon as the daughter said, "A doggie!" the father gave her a wonderful talk about how working doggies should never be disturbed, how all working doggies have different jobs, and that you can't always guess a working doggie's job by looking at the person they're with, because not all disabilities are visible. A+ parenting!!

How hot does it get onboard in March, going to the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale?

Do I need to bring Darian's Swamp Cooler jacket? He's got a very thick coat that I shave down so he can handle the Arizona heat, though we spend most of our time indoors.

Will he need his boots? Is there anywhere his paws might burn?

His new thing is when you ask him to get and he either stretches, bows, scratches, coughs or all of the above before he will get anything. That's of course if you don't say cookie first. You have a cookie and he's speedy gonzalez!

Here's a few pics of my sweet boy. ❤

Aw - he's so handsome. How could anyone be scared of him?

Henri is the same way, sometimes she will take her time to complete a command, but if there is a reward involved she is amazingly quick.

I have already told my husband that if anyone tries to separate me from my dog, there will be an international incident!

Dianne

On the other hand, at Target, a father and daughter were in line behind me. As soon as the daughter said, "A doggie!" the father gave her a wonderful talk about how working doggies should never be disturbed, how all working doggies have different jobs, and that you can't always guess a working doggie's job by looking at the person they're with, because not all disabilities are visible. A+ parenting!!

That is A+ parenting. I always compliment the parents when a child asks me first before they try to pet my service dog.

We were walking down the street and had a similar situation. A parent put a small child down right in Henri's face. Of course, it was fine, but how ridiculous that anyone would put a child in front of a dog that they don't know.

Dianne

How hot does it get onboard in March, going to the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale?

Do I need to bring Darian's Swamp Cooler jacket? He's got a very thick coat that I shave down so he can handle the Arizona heat, though we spend most of our time indoors.

Will he need his boots? Is there anywhere his paws might burn?

We lived in the Eastern Caribbean for many years - it will probably be sunny, humid and 82, fairly standard springtime temps. If you're walking on dark pavement of course it is hotter. I try to avoid blacktop and keep the dog on grass or in shade, and haven't yet used boots. If you have them and the dog tolerates them, might as well bring along. Some ports have really long, hot piers to walk back to the ship in the afternoon sun with minimal shade available.