Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Do the rest of you carry Natures Miracle with you?

No, it isn't necessary. On the rare chance the dog does get sick in public, the business has protocols it must follow for cleaning up biological spills, same as if a kid pukes or otherwise soils the store/its goods.

:eek: What is wrong with people?! He had NO way of knowing how your dog would react to a baby in its face (not to mention the baby grabbing the dog's ears), especially with all the people faking their pets as service dogs these days (the vest doesn't necessarily mean a well-behaved dog)! He was lucky this time, but next time might not be, and the child will be the victim. :mad:

There was a case in Florida recently where a vetrinarian's own mellow black Lab named Padi severely bit a child's ear in the vet's office. The child kept chasing and coming at the dog while the dog backed itself into a corner trying to avoid the boy.

Needless to say, there was a big public outcry about the incident not being the dog's fault (under law at the time, the dog would have been put to death automatically even for defending itself) and much criticism of the babysitter's lack of supervision of the child. The vet went to court and a judge ruled that the law was unconstitutional, so Padi was not killed.

No one wants to see a little one injured (he required reconstructive surgery), but it's just common sense (I know, not common any more) to keep a child under tight control around any animal.

Have you looked at any of the mesh vests? There are also evaporative coolers you can get if you're really worried, but remember dogs are in all types of climates and do well.

I've got an evaporative cooler coat -- the Swamp Cooler from Ruffwear! I also have a super-lightweight vest on order from http://www.patiencenadlove.com with padded straps.

No, it isn't necessary. On the rare chance the dog does get sick in public, the business has protocols it must follow for cleaning up biological spills, same as if a kid pukes or otherwise soils the store/its goods.

Better safe than sorry. I want to be a good customer, always prepared, rather than putting that burden on the business owner. I'm lucky in that I have the mobility to bend down and clean up messes on most days. :)

By the time he's fully trained, he should long be potty trained to squat to pee, as appropriate for service dogs.

I'm owner-training. Darian was obedience trained as a puppy, but we've only started service dog training last October, and he just turned nine. He's long since in the habit of lifting his leg to pee. We're working on the "Better go now" command, but he's old and set in his ways. He picked up posting (his primary behavior) super-quickly because it's a natural behavior for him anyway, which made him an ideal candidate.

I'm hopefully going to be getting a puppy out of one of two upcoming litters: one due at the end of this month, one next month. With the puppy, we'll be reinforcing "Better go now" for ALL toileting, on various surfaces (concrete, rock, pea gravel, grass, dirt, etc.)

Edited by Krypti

There was a case in Florida recently where a vetrinarian's own mellow black Lab named Padi severely bit a child's ear in the vet's office. The child kept chasing and coming at the dog while the dog backed itself into a corner trying to avoid the boy.

Needless to say, there was a big public outcry about the incident not being the dog's fault (under law at the time, the dog would have been put to death automatically even for defending itself) and much criticism of the babysitter's lack of supervision of the child. The vet went to court and a judge ruled that the law was unconstitutional, so Padi was not killed.

No one wants to see a little one injured (he required reconstructive surgery), but it's just common sense (I know, not common any more) to keep a child under tight control around any animal.

This is what terrifies me. ANY dog has the potential to bite or snap when provoked, and there are so many badly-trained children -- and adults! -- who think it's okay to grab or even hurt a service dog simply because it's in public, in "their" space.

On a lot of service dog blogs that I follow, I'm seeing people are starting to muzzle-train their SDs. They use the basket-type muzzles that allow drinking, but seriously, that can't be comfortable.

My therapist suggested getting some big stop-sign patches to put on my dog's vest and leash. People may be too stupid or lazy to read "DO NOT PET," but most people know that a stop sign means keep the hell away. I'm going to give it a try.

Is Orson from CCI? What happens when he retires? Do you keep him as a retired pet, or does he go back to the organization?

Yes, Orson is a CCI Service Dog. And he passed his re-cert with flying colors. The trainer that tested him said he looks great and tested great. She really didn't see the need to retire him yet. So now we are thinking we may wait a while and see how he does. Once he retires Krypti, we have the first option of keeping him as a pet (which we are doing) or his puppy raiser can take him back (which they would) or he could go to someone on a very long waiting list for retired dogs. But for now he is still very excited to go out with us. He's just slowing down a little (just like us).

Yes, Orson is a CCI Service Dog. And he passed his re-cert with flying colors. The trainer that tested him said he looks great and tested great. She really didn't see the need to retire him yet. So now we are thinking we may wait a while and see how he does. Once he retires Krypti, we have the first option of keeping him as a pet (which we are doing) or his puppy raiser can take him back (which they would) or he could go to someone on a very long waiting list for retired dogs. But for now he is still very excited to go out with us. He's just slowing down a little (just like us).

That's great that Orson did so well, it must be a bit of a relief for you.

Henri passed with flying colors too. I was surprised that we did not have to do as much for the re-cert as we did for the original certification. We took some videos with us on our cell phone to show her trainer some of the more advanced commands I have been able to teach her (she can now go get the cordless phone from another room among other things).

Dianne

Good evening! Wow! All kinds of info on here today!

Scooter had a HUGE day.

We went to the groomer for the first time. He came home all pretty and with much shorter nails.

Then a few hours later, we went to the vet for our final set of shots. He is now protected for the year. Love the vet we found. Her baby was feeling poorly and running a fever but she didn't want to disappoint patients. So she was wearing him in a carrier on her front while seeing patients. She took the time to let Scooter sniff and see the six month of baby. What a great vet!

He has gone from 11 lbs at 8 weeks to 19.5 lbs at 11 weeks to 29 lbs at 14 weeks. They recommended that I bring him out every three weeks or so and weigh him on their scale to make sure we have the right dose of heartworm and flea/tick prevention. The flea/tick is a MUST! They are already out and getting bad around here!

Here is today's pretty puppy photo. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7g8fkSeGGFsbGMxXy1MVEJSLUU/view?usp=docslist_api

Have a great evening!

Barb, Scooter is so, so cute! I want to grab those ears and kiss him right on the mouth!!!! :D

Dogs can have accidents anywhere, and not just of the, ahem, tail-end kind. They can vomit if they get over-excited, drink water too quickly, or eat something that disagrees with them. Having Nature's Miracle on hand is just a courtesy for the places you visit. I've never had to use it, but you never know!

As a service dog handler, I feel like it's my responsibility to do my best to represent the community and ensure business owners have no reason to complain. Better to have the Nature's Miracle and paper towels on hand and never use them than to need them the one time I don't have them!

Even though I've never been a purse-type of person, I now carry a doggie go-bag everywhere. In addition to my wallet, cell phone, Kindle, and battery/cables for recharging my devices, I carry a travel-size (3.4 oz) bottle of Nature's Miracle in a ziploc baggie to prevent spills, extra paper towels, extra poop bags, and a piece of super-absorbent toweling to dry Darian's paws on those rare times when it rains.. I also keep things like tissues/baby wipes, an ace bandage, and a basic first aid kit.

Here's what I carry in Darian's vest:

tumblr_inline_o3otakEmaX1rr6dzj_500.jpg

• Top row: Emergency medical kit, collapsible water bowl
  • Next row: School ID card (NOT a “certification” or “registration) & school business cards, info/ADA cards
  • Next row: Vaccination records and service dog letter from my therapist, in a ziploc baggie, poop bags
  • Last row: lots of paper towels

Total weight of the vest and everything inside it: only 0.86 pounds

Darian carries this everywhere he goes, unless we go out when it’s stupidly hot outside, in which case I carry all this in my backpack so he can wear a Ruffwear Swamp Cooler vest.

Very thorough!!!!

I am training my husband's service dog. We are booked November 20th on NCL Getaway. I was wondering if anyone recommends a crate that is easy to take. I do not want us to take Tango into port for his own safety. I was under the impression you could not leave your service dog in the cabin but NCL told me it is fine to leave him in a crate. Also, he keeps going on our patio on the outdoor rug. Has anyone put a box in a frequent elimination spot to train them ahead of time? That is the only worry I have is that he will not like the square box.

Edited by Jim & Natalie

I am training my husband's service dog. We are booked November 20th on NCL Getaway. I was wondering if anyone recommends a crate that is easy to take. I do not want us to take Tango into port for his own safety. I was under the impression you could not leave your service dog in the cabin but NCL told me it is fine to leave him in a crate. Also, he keeps going on our patio on the outdoor rug. Has anyone put a box in a frequent elimination spot to train them ahead of time? That is the only worry I have is that he will not like the square box.

Three steps to fixing this:

First, have you used Nature's Miracle or another enzymatic solution to clean the outdoor rug? Test a swatch for color-fastness. Then saturate it thoroughly, then seal it in a plastic trash bag to keep it from evaporating for at least an hour. Make sure to also treat the patio, even if it's concrete. Pour the Nature's Miracle everywhere Tango is going, then cover it with plastic, just like with the rug.

Second, don't let him toilet while off leash until he's fully trained. Keep a spare leash and shoes by your back door, and keep close watch on Tango. When he shows signs of wanting to go out (sniffing, circling), leash him and take him to a spot far from the patio. In a quiet, calm voice, tell him, "Better go now," or some other command. When he starts to go, softly encourage him with, "Yes!" or "Yip!" After he's done, mark the behavior (clicker or "Yip!") and offer him a treat and praise.

Third, when you're out in public, don't let him toilet without "Better go now." If he sniffs at a bush in passing, you can either reinforce his desire with "Better go now" or move him to a place of your choosing, then give him the command. If he sniffs for more than 30-60 seconds, give him a warning tug on the leash and repeat the command. If he still won't go, he's just doing the doggie equivalent of reading Facebook without posting, so get moving again.

It's NOT easy. I've lived for years with a dog door that my dogs can use at any time, and I'm going to have to change that when I get my puppy this summer. I'm not looking forward to having to take the puppy out in our miserable Arizona heat, but it'll be better for both of us to have him trained to only go on command.

Natalie, I don't suggest leaving your dog alone in the cabin. Anything can happen and you'd NEVER forgive yourself if something happened to him. The ship could catch fire or the air conditioning could fail, or someone could open the crate and take him, etc., etc. JMHO!

I started my Service Dog, Brenda, in 2002, on a oil drip pan filled with kitty litter. Then after I realized there was cedar mulch, grass sod and even artificial turf.....I transitioned her to a 4x5 box [made by a friend] filled with cedar mulch and covered with artificial turf [so it always looked green and fresh.] I pick up the solids and flushed it away and spray the turf and the mulch every morning [before we leave for work.] I remove the turf, flip it over so that the underside can get some sun exposure and let the mulch dry out in the sun, as well. I change out the filler as often as I can.

Now, I do the same with my Successor Dog, Horton. My dogs ONLY go in a box at home and at work. When we're out and about he gets to go on real grass, dirt, rocks, mulch......whatever we find.

When we get on a cruise ship, my dogs are so used to a potty box that going in one onboard is no big deal at all. The only problem is the "stuff" the ship uses for the filler. On our last cruise they used "bark"......it was so rough for Horton to step on that I had to go into the box and stomp on the dang stuff to take away the sharp edges.

I'm bringing a roll of artificial turf with me on my 19 day cruise in November. It won't matter what they use, I'll cover it with the turf and all will be good. I'll either wash it off in the shower or leave it behind.

My husband built a 5 x 5 box for my service dog to use in the backyard (bigger than the box on the ship, but same idea). When we brought her home it only took a few days of taking her out on the leash to the box until she got the idea that that was where she was supposed to go. Of course, she wasn't a puppy, so that made it easier I am sure.

I have not cruised with her yet, but I am not planning on bringing a kennel or leaving her alone in the room.

Dianne

I'm bringing a roll of artificial turf with me on my 19 day cruise in November. It won't matter what they use, I'll cover it with the turf and all will be good. I'll either wash it off in the shower or leave it behind.

Update on our search for artificial turf - we bought a remnant at Home Depot that is 10 feet by 4 feet for $18. We can cut it into two 4 foot x 4 foot squares. It will only cost $9.00 per cruise and I plan on leaving it behind since I don't want to fly home from Florida with it after out Panama Canal cruise. I will have the second piece already on hand for our next cruise.

Dianne

Update on our search for artificial turf - we bought a remnant at Home Depot that is 10 feet by 4 feet for $18. We can cut it into two 4 foot x 4 foot squares. It will only cost $9.00 per cruise and I plan on leaving it behind since I don't want to fly home from Florida with it after out Panama Canal cruise. I will have the second piece already on hand for our next cruise.

Dianne

Good idea. I found my turf at Kahoots pet store. I must tell you I've had the same 4x6 roll for 4 years. It's really made well. I have an extra one for traveling and will roll it up, stick it into a large plastic bag and bring it onboard with us.

Your dogs supplies are considered "medical equipment" and, if you're flying, you should not be charged for bringing it along. It can be folded and put into a suit case or hanging bag. Since I'm driving to the dock, it's so much easier to bring it along.

I just heard from my breeder. Gem had her litter at the beginning of March, not the end (oops!) so the pups will be ready to go home at the end of next month!

If one of the pups is suitable to be a service dog, I get bumped to the top of the list, so this could be a very hectic summer for me -- but very exciting, too!

Ce2EB92UAAESJ1M.jpg

I just heard from my breeder. Gem had her litter at the beginning of March, not the end (oops!) so the pups will be ready to go home at the end of next month!

If one of the pups is suitable to be a service dog, I get bumped to the top of the list, so this could be a very hectic summer for me -- but very exciting, too!

Ce2EB92UAAESJ1M.jpg

Awwwww! I love puppies!!!!! It's so exciting for you, I hope it happens!!!

Saw our USDA certified vet yesterday for the health exam again...Just took paperwork to UPS for overnight to Florida's regional USDA Service Center in Gainesville to be endorsed and returned for our cruise next week.

Our vet and her staff are proving to be so much more helpful than the USDA one in NC. They really get into it, make phone calls, and figure out what to put on the form for the countries involved, and solve things with common sense.

And she's less than ten minutes away from our house! Couldn't be happier.

Ce2EB92UAAESJ1M.jpg

Adorable!!! Best of luck! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Saw our USDA certified vet yesterday for the health exam again...Just took paperwork to UPS for overnight to Florida's regional USDA Service Center in Gainesville to be endorsed and returned for our cruise next week.

Our vet and her staff are proving to be so much more helpful than the USDA one in NC. They really get into it, make phone calls, and figure out what to put on the form for the countries involved, and solve things with common sense.

And she's less than ten minutes away from our house! Couldn't be happier.

I love my Vet, as well. They simplify everything and are very thorough with filling out the form for me so that no matter what question is asked the answer is on the form or in a letter that I attach to the form. He states that he does NOT OVER VACCINATE his patients, therefore if the dog is within the parameters of what he recommends, the dog is qualified to travel to: then he inputs the name of the country I will be going to. He even adds: The general health and adds his opinion of how the dog is cared for.

My Vet leaves very little room for arguing about; vaccinations, health, fur, teeth, nails, skin condition and appropriate behavior of the dog. Immigration authorities, folks at registration and TSA are ALWAYS impressed at the complete paperwork that they're given for my dog. It makes traveling with a Service Dog so much easier.

Well after 2 weeks of bronchitis we are finally better. Thought John was going to end up in the hospital. Was waiting for him to cough up a lung. :eek: I wasnt as bad as him but this is the 3rd time sick since Christmas. Enough already!

We got the new van and then had to park it for 2 weeks while we were sick. Sold our other one yesterday!! Yay!! The new one is great, but very small compared to the full size van. Wex slid off the bench when John hit the brakes and the next day refused to get in. After 20 minutes in the soaking rain, he stayed home with me. I now have that squishy stuff you put under things for grip in between the seats and the cover on the seat and he seems to be ok with that.

The wedding is coming quickly, invites went out and the shower is in a few weeks. Got my tenative dress but still looking. The brides dress still isnt in and shes starting to panic and is not happy. They told her 6 to 8 weeks for alterations and its in that window right now. Ugh.

Already booked our cruise for next year and going to pay some towards the kids cruise for a wedding present.

Wex is supposed to be walking down the aisle with the ring bearer. He will wear his tux and they are making him a boutonniere. Gonna be interesting.

Cindy

Well after 2 weeks of bronchitis we are finally better. Thought John was going to end up in the hospital. Was waiting for him to cough up a lung. :eek: I wasnt as bad as him but this is the 3rd time sick since Christmas. Enough already!

We got the new van and then had to park it for 2 weeks while we were sick. Sold our other one yesterday!! Yay!! The new one is great, but very small compared to the full size van. Wex slid off the bench when John hit the brakes and the next day refused to get in. After 20 minutes in the soaking rain, he stayed home with me. I now have that squishy stuff you put under things for grip in between the seats and the cover on the seat and he seems to be ok with that.

The wedding is coming quickly, invites went out and the shower is in a few weeks. Got my tenative dress but still looking. The brides dress still isnt in and shes starting to panic and is not happy. They told her 6 to 8 weeks for alterations and its in that window right now. Ugh.

Already booked our cruise for next year and going to pay some towards the kids cruise for a wedding present.

Wex is supposed to be walking down the aisle with the ring bearer. He will wear his tux and they are making him a boutonniere. Gonna be interesting.

Cindy

Cindy, I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting better! What a nightmare it's been.

Poor Wexy.....once they have a bad experience they're not so willing to do it again. It seems the smarter the dog is the more this is true. It's those "goofball" dogs who will try something over and over again with no concern for the outcome.

You're going to be such a beautiful mother of the groom. The bride will surly be biting her nails until her dress is there and ready.

Wexy is going to be so handsome. Take lots of pictures. This is one of those occasions and watershed events that will be in your memory bank for a very long time. Try to enjoy it.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Cindy

Glad to hear you guys are doing better!

Tell Wex that sometimes sliding off the back seat is actually a good thing. Last night, my goofball black lab got his lower jaw stuck in a marrow bone. He's never done that before! :eek: So I loaded him into the back seat and headed for the emergency vet.

At the yellow light, the car in front of me braked abruptly instead of going through, so I hit the brakes hard enough that Mal smacked his head into the back of my seat. It knocked the marrow bone off his face! We were able to turn around and go back home with no pain and no emergency vet bill. :D