Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi Wizard,

I found your post very interesting. My husband thinks it is not a good idea to take our service dog on our cruise next year. Once reason would be the cabin being too small, the heat when you are stilling on the deck and where to take your service animal to the bathroom. I had a few questions if you dont mind. Do you always take your service dog with you when you are cruising? So if you go to sit on the desk in the sun, do you take it or do you leave it in the cabin? Do you take it with you when you go off the ship? Have you been to places, like BVI, which is considered international and did you have any problems? Is there a problem if you decide to leave your service dog in the cabin due to it being too hot or not wanting to take if off the ship because of doing an excursion like snorkeling? Also have you had any problems finding a place to take them to the bathroom while you were on a cruise?

My Service Dog and I are NEVER separated. Even when I go to the Doctor or Dentist he lays in the corner, at the end of where my chair or exam table is [so he can watch me.]

He cruises and travels with me. When I go out on deck, I find a place in the shade for him, again, I put him in a "down, stay" and I lay in the sun. I attach his leash to the end of my chair......he's in the shade. The ships are air conditioned at all times. If the weather is too hot and when traveling Panama/Caribbean and Mexico it can get stifling hot......I remain in the air conditioning, don't make him walk on asphalt and am very careful when walking him out on the exposed decks. I'm also careful with him in cold climates, like Alaska. My job is to keep him safe and healthy.

I NEVER leave my Service Dog in the cabin alone, NEVER! What if the ship caught fire, what if there were a rogue wave, what if, what if?

Sometimes, if you're traveling alone with your dog and you want to go snorkeling, you can leave your dog with a crew member who will be happy to dog sit for you......but, I wouldn't count on it.

There are choices that we make when we cruise or travel with our dogs, some of those choices mean we can't always do what we want to do. If it's too hot for my dog, I simply do NOT go there!!!! My dog is a very important part of my life and is treated as such!

There is NEVER a problem with a ship offering you a place for your dog to go potty. It's just a problem when they put the potty in a bad place. However, I have NEVER had a problem with working out the placement to my satisfaction after meeting with the Hotel Manager.

Hi' date='

We took Boo on a Holland America cruise to Alaska. They provided her with a box of grass to relieve herself in. We were not allowed to leave her alone in the cabin. However, we could take her anywhere on the ship. We were also able to take her on shore because all our stops were either in the United States or Canada. And she was able to go with us on the excursions.

There are different rules for different countries regarding service dogs and accessibility. I am currently working on trying to get Boo ADI certified in order to take her on a European Cruise.[/quote']

Boo, is not ADI Certified and you actually got her on a Holland America ship? I'm surprised. She must be very well behaved!

If Wex is off leash the goes deaf. Won't even look at ya. He too has gotten alot better, and we've discovered ways to get his attention.

Oh! That's it! The leash provides their hearing........Horton is totally deaf when off leash!!! Such a character!!!

If Wex is off leash the goes deaf. Won't even look at ya. He too has gotten alot better, and we've discovered ways to get his attention.

Do the ways to get his attention have to do with food? That's the way to get Henri's total attention!

Dianne

Do the ways to get his attention have to do with food? That's the way to get Henri's total attention!

Dianne

Dianne, that is so funny. The only way I can get Horton's attention is I have to say the word "cookie"......I have trained him so that every time I give him a treat I call it a "cookie", so that when I don't have a treat I say, "let's get a cookie" and he's starting to follow me everywhere!

Eureeka! I think I've done it!!!!

Boo, is not ADI Certified and you actually got her on a Holland America ship? I'm surprised. She must be very well behaved!

Boo is certified through the State of California and has a special Assistance Dog license. She was trained to ADI standards by a professional trainer, who continues to monitor her. She (and I) knows appropriate Service Dog etiquette as well as how to alert. Because of all this training, yes, she is a very well behaved dog. She is eight years old and very good at her job. :-) I would be unable to leave my home, let alone travel without her. Attached a picture.

1135656789_BooandTowelAnimal4.jpg.6f37c0afcbb5dc133ab2fb727ce5975b.jpg

Dianne

No we don't use food. Although if we want him to pick something up in warp speed the word "cookie" always works. He responds to a high squeaky annoying voice I can make. He usually comes running back.

Dianne, that is so funny. The only way I can get Horton's attention is I have to say the word "cookie"......I have trained him so that every time I give him a treat I call it a "cookie", so that when I don't have a treat I say, "let's get a cookie" and he's starting to follow me everywhere!

Eureeka! I think I've done it!!!!

Hahaha hadn't read your post before I responded to Dianne.

Boo is certified through the State of California and has a special Assistance Dog license. She was trained to ADI standards by a professional trainer' date=' who continues to monitor her. She (and I) knows appropriate Service Dog etiquette as well as how to alert. Because of all this training, yes, she is a very well behaved dog. She is eight years old and very good at her job. :-) I would be unable to leave my home, let alone travel without her. Attached a picture.[/quote']

Okay! My computer is possessed. If this is a double post, I'm sorry! "Boo's" a tiny bit bigger than the towel animal, how cute is she?

She sounds like a wonderful Service Dog. You're very lucky to have her in your life, as she is to have you.

Did you call CCI about ADI Certification? I think with her good behavior it would be so easy for you to get the Cert.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Jagger is having some overnights with me. I got to stay with him Saturday at the ranch because I was watching the puppies while everyone was at a Rally show. Then I took him home last night. I take him back tomorrow. Depending on how he does in class with me tomorrow he may stay there a few days...or he might come back here. We are doing sooo much better with him not pulling. :)

Hooray Holly! I can't wait for Jagger to be a permanent roomie at your home. So glad he is making such great progress on pulling, or not pulling.

Thanks!

Beckie

Hahaha hadn't read your post before I responded to Dianne.

Isn't that funny about the "cookie" thing? Did CCI teach you that or is it something you started on your own?

I started it on my own........it seemed that Horton needed something he could hang his fur on and something that could get him to focus. He's such an A.D.D. kind of dog. He's easily distracted; he can be doing something for me and someone can walk in the room and, he's done........He can no longer attend to what he was doing, he can't finish it without greeting the new people "hello!" I have to totally re-direct him and insist that he follow through. He's funny to watch and everyone loves to be with him because he's so joyful and loving.......but, honestly, can you please help me out here.....Mr. Service Dog?

I must admit, when he's NOT distracted, he's an amazing worker. If I drop anything he's right "there" to pick it up and hand it to me.......unless someone in the room holds out their hand, then he'll take the object to them instead. I have to remind people to NOT give him directives and allow him to finish his task before they can love on him!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Isn't that funny about the "cookie" thing? Did CCI teach you that or is it something you started on your own?

I started it on my own........it seemed that Horton needed something he could hang his fur on and something that could get him to focus. He's such an A.D.D. kind of dog. He's easily distracted; he can be doing something for me and someone can walk in the room and, he's done........He can no longer attend to what he was doing, he can't finish it without greeting the new people "hello!" I have to totally re-direct him and insist that he follow through. He's funny to watch and everyone loves to be with him because he's so joyful and loving.......but, honestly, can you please help me out here.....Mr. Service Dog?

I must admit, when he's NOT distracted, he's an amazing worker. If I drop anything he's right "there" to pick it up and hand it to me.......unless someone in the room holds out their hand, then he'll take the object to them instead. I have to remind people to NOT give him directives and allow him to finish his task before they can love on him!!!!

We just did it on our own. Since they don't teach recall when off leash. I don't understand why because even in a fenced in area they won't come back. John certainly can't chase him down. What if you fell and dropped the leash? There's nothing to keep the dog with you when he's free.

We just did it on our own. Since they don't teach recall when off leash. I don't understand why because even in a fenced in area they won't come back. John certainly can't chase him down. What if you fell and dropped the leash? There's nothing to keep the dog with you when he's free.

I don't understand it? Brenda had absolutely no problem off leash. She had a great way about her. If I called her, she looked at me and then came right to me. I haven't done anything different with this "bad boy" and he thinks it's so, so funny to play "keep-away" with me. And, just when I'm starting to turn purple with "inner-rage", he saunters back to me [in his own good time!] - I remind him that he has a lot to live up to when it comes to his behavior and I'm ashamed of some of the things he does!!! [it's guilt, it worked on my children, why not my dog?]

CCI keeps telling me that the dogs only do what they're rewarded to do. So, somehow, I'm rewarding this behavior and that's why he does it. At least, now when I take off his leash at the door of our cabin, he doesn't head for the hills [like he used to], I ask him to "sit", I unlock the door and he goes right inside [thank God!] I don't have the energy or stamina to chase him down......I'd let him go and pretend I don't know him! YEAH! RIGHT!

I must admit his keep-away is lasting for a shorter time and the word "cookie" or a whistle from me gets him interested and at least gets him to stop. Someone told me to drop to the floor, don't say a word and he'll automatically come back to me [out of curiosity.] I can't do this in public and when I have tried it, he'll slowly come over to me, investigate and if I move one finger, he'll run away.

As he gets older, he's doing his "bad boy antics" less and less. Although, I must say he really keeps me laughing and on my toes!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I love hearing these stories about all the "kids"...always makes me feel better about Raylene's little quirks. She still pulls on the leash sometimes, and if there are lizards in the back yard, I can forget about her responding to "leave it" or "come." As food-driven as she is (typical Lab), even "yummy treat" has no effect if she's spotted a lizard to conquer. Florida has a LOT of lizards.

As her trainer said, "they're dogs, not robots."

Jagger is having some overnights with me. I got to stay with him Saturday at the ranch because I was watching the puppies while everyone was at a Rally show. Then I took him home last night. I take him back tomorrow. Depending on how he does in class with me tomorrow he may stay there a few days...or he might come back here. We are doing sooo much better with him not pulling. :)

Yay! So glad you're getting some quality Jagger-time, Holly.

I love hearing these stories about all the "kids"...always makes me feel better about Raylene's little quirks. She still pulls on the leash sometimes, and if there are lizards in the back yard, I can forget about her responding to "leave it" or "come." As food-driven as she is (typical Lab), even "yummy treat" has no effect if she's spotted a lizard to conquer. Florida has a LOT of lizards.

As her trainer said, "they're dogs, not robots."

There's a small dinosaur, [you can't convince me that it's not a monster out of a Steven Spielberg movie], that hangs around Horton's potty box at work.......scares me to death.....Horton, not so much! He looked at it, ignored it and went on with his "business!" The mini-dino kept looking at Horton, as if to say, "please don't eat me!" Horton, had no time for the creature.

I swear, our dogs are all so different in some ways, then so much alike in others!

Thank you for the compliments on Boo. Yes, she is adorable--very hard to keep people's hands off her. My husband and I thought we might start charging for people to take pictures of her; we figured we could pay for the trip. ;-)

There are apparently insurance issues. CCI cannot help. I understand. Just because I have thousands of people who will vouch for Boo (she's also been to a number of conventions), does not mean the agency doesn't risk getting sued if Boo bites someone. Boo would never, of course.

However, I have found an ADI agency in San Diego - Little Angels - that thinks they have a work around. They have to observe the dog over a six-month period, and they offer a series of 3 seminars over that six months. It means we have to put off our cruise until 2017, but that's okay. And San Diego is not a bad place to have to visit--just a train ride away!

Thank you for the compliments on Boo. Yes' date=' she is adorable--very hard to keep people's hands off her. My husband and I thought we might start charging for people to take pictures of her; we figured we could pay for the trip. ;-)

There are apparently insurance issues. CCI cannot help. I understand. Just because I have thousands of people who will vouch for Boo (she's also been to a number of conventions), does not mean the agency doesn't risk getting sued if Boo bites someone. Boo would never, of course.

However, I have found an ADI agency in San Diego - Little Angels - that thinks they have a work around. They have to observe the dog over a six-month period, and they offer a series of 3 seminars over that six months. It means we have to put off our cruise until 2017, but that's okay. And San Diego is not a bad place to have to visit--just a train ride away![/quote']

When I first interviewed with CCI in 2000 they had Welch Corgi's that were being trained as Hearing Dogs. The men didn't like them because they were too small. They wanted a "manly" dog! I got to see one in action, what a brilliant little worker. Now, CCI only trains Labs, Golden's and the cross between them.

I don't think my next dog will be a Lab or a Golden. I'll be too old to keep up with all the dang shedding and my allergies are getting worse. I sneeze my head off before I go to bed at night and I can't have anyone over for dinner unless they want dog hair with their coffee! I've gone through two vacuums since I've had a Service Dog....I love them but I'm so done with all the hair and keeping the asthma doctor in business!!!!

I'm so glad you found someone to help with the ADI Testing. Boo will do brilliantly!!!

I don't understand it? Brenda had absolutely no problem off leash. She had a great way about her. If I called her, she looked at me and then came right to me. I haven't done anything different with this "bad boy" and he thinks it's so, so funny to play "keep-away" with me. And, just when I'm starting to turn purple with "inner-rage", he saunters back to me [in his own good time!] - I remind him that he has a lot to live up to when it comes to his behavior and I'm ashamed of some of the things he does!!! [it's guilt, it worked on my children, why not my dog?]

I had to laugh - I could just see you Roz dropping to the floor in the middle of the mall and Horton sauntering by wondering what the heck you were doing.

Henri is pretty good about coming off leash, but if I really need her to respond it really helps to have some of her kibble. I usually carry a small container in my purse just in case of an emergency.

CCI told me that they don't have many full golden retriever service dogs because they get their feelings hurt too easily when corrected. You would have to have one of those for the guilt to work lol.

Dianne

Holly I hope that you get to keep Jagger full time with you soon. I know that it must be so hard when you have to take him back.

Dianne

Boo is certified through the State of California and has a special Assistance Dog license. She was trained to ADI standards by a professional trainer' date=' who continues to monitor her. She (and I) knows appropriate Service Dog etiquette as well as how to alert. Because of all this training, yes, she is a very well behaved dog. She is eight years old and very good at her job. :-) I would be unable to leave my home, let alone travel without her. Attached a picture.[/quote']

Oh my gosh Boo is so cute and tiny. She is the size of Henri's stuffed hedge hog toy. I wish that I could shrink my 70 pound dog down to that size when we fly.

Dianne

LOL! I tell myself that I will never get attacked by an evil Geiko or lizard while Jagger's on the job.

I had such a wonderful time with Jagger this weekend. The head trainer has told me that we are "this close" to his coming home full time. We have come so far in the last few months. I don't know why it was so hard for me earlier. I think I had this thing about being "mean". The thing is...when you expect behavior and are consistent - there is no being mean. Actually have a happier dog as they are sure of what is expected.

Then during play time we can be silly idiots! :D

Love the photo of Raylene at the beach during your cruise!

Holly

LOL! I tell myself that I will never get attacked by an evil Geiko or lizard while Jagger's on the job.

I had such a wonderful time with Jagger this weekend. The head trainer has told me that we are "this close" to his coming home full time. We have come so far in the last few months. I don't know why it was so hard for me earlier. I think I had this thing about being "mean". The thing is...when you expect behavior and are consistent - there is no being mean. Actually have a happier dog as they are sure of what is expected.

Then during play time we can be silly idiots! :D

Love the photo of Raylene at the beach during your cruise!

Holly

Holly, everything happens when it's supposed to.......Before you know it, the two of you will be each other's FULL-TIME buddy!!!!!

I love hearing these stories about all the "kids"...always makes me feel better about Raylene's little quirks...

Just had to step in briefly. Our pooches are definitely not service dogs but we love them dearly, which is why I love this thread. Yes, we're totally bonded with our stubborn Germans (mini Schnauzers) so I understand.

It's amazing how much unconditional love is ingrained into the DNA of dogs and it's great fun reading all about the escapades of your very special companions. It's amazing how quickly our pooches can make us forget the annoyances and bothers we have every day and just bring a positive karma to our lives.

I grew up near Morristown NJ, the original home of the Seeing Eye Foundation which is focused on dogs for the blind. We frequently encountered "trainees" in Morristown and marveled at the dog's (usually Shepherds) discipline and capabilities.

Edited by Host Walt