Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

For those whose dogs have had the leptospirosis vaccine - is it one shot a year, or is it a series of shots?

Does anyone given their dog yak chews?

Dianne

Yearly......And, I HIGHLY recommend the Virbac or Ora-Clens Enzyme-Coated Oral Hygiene Chews. I prefer the Virbac but if you can't find them then go to the Ora-Clens. I buy mine from EntirelyPets.com. They're a bit pricey but EntirelyPets sells them the cheapest I've seen.

Both my dogs [first, Brenda and now Horton] have been on them since I first received them and I ALWAYS get a good review from the Vet when it comes to their teeth. I once took Horton in to have his teeth cleaned and the tech. said, "there's nothing to clean, they look great!"

I've never heard of the yak chews. I'm so thrilled with the Virbac Chews, I make sure to pack them when we travel. We have an electric paper cutter in my office and I cut the chews into halves or thirds [length-wise] so he feels like he's getting a lot but in reality he's not. You have to be careful with them because they do have calories!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I apologize in advance if this question was already asked.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this Nov. We're thinking about taking a 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii and return to LA.

Going to Hawaii has always been on our bucket list, and we really enjoy cruising.

This is not our first cruise but it will be with a Service Dog.

Travelling with a service dog is somewhat new too us, and it can be some overwhelming.

We're trying figure how it works for the ports? There's 5 stops in Hawaii and one in Mexico.

From what we're able to find out, it looks like we have bring my service dog to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility in Honolulu.

How does this will this work? and, For Mexico it looks like we have to bring some documents and my service dog to the Office of Animal Health Inspection at the port of entry.

I'm a bit confused, more about Hawaii than Mexico.

Has anyone sailed to either Hawaii or Mexico with a Service Dog?

Thanks

Eric

Eric, first you need to find a Vet who can fill out the appropriate forms for you. USDA Certified. He will fill out the Aphis 7001 form, do the appropriate blood draw and will let you know about entering Hawaii. You will NOT have to quarantine your dog in Mexico or Hawaii. Most of these laws were meant for people who are flying in with their dogs and the necessary blood titer testing for Rabies is also expected within, I believe 48 hours, which is impossible to do when your coming in via cruise ship.

We had all the testing done before [four days before we left for our cruise] and had all the forms needed and went onto every port that we visited with Brenda.

Hawaii has NEVER had a reported case of rabies [by dog] EVER! They're very careful about dogs coming onto any of the islands from the mainland.

Service Dogs coming in via cruise ships are a whole other animal for them to deal with and completed blood work and paperwork is all it takes. But, I do mean COMPLETED BY THE PROPER VET.

Mexico requires the Aphis 7001 filled out entirely [which states that the dog is properly immunized/micro-chipped/spayed or neutered and is in fit condition to travel.]

Awwww! Bucky, Blue Eyes, you are so adorable. Hang on little guy......life will settle down for you. Don't drive everyone too crazy at first......you need to pace yourself.....there's lots of time to pull all kinds of fun stuff on them!!!!!

Welcome to our clubhouse!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi everyone,

This is my wonderful daughter Lydia and her bestfriend in the whole world Tyr. "My wonder Dog" as Lydia says. Tyr is Lydia's Autism Service Dog.

This year in September do to ongoing heart/health problem; I'm taking Lydia on her bucket list trip. We are cruising from Vancouver on the NCL Pearl then spending 5 days in Anaheim. We are Canadian and have not crossed the border with this dream team yet.

All and any advice and tips would be very helpful. We have all of Tyr's vet paper work, doctors documents, vaccination records ready to go and we are even having our vet fill out an Aphis 7001 from. Anything else we should do or know?! How dose NCL treat their (person/dog) teams and service dogs in general?

Thank you ahead of time for the information.

f81f489426e240394d76dddfa1a8bc3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Welcome to our joyful group! I know one of our friends who cruises with their service dog will be along soon to respond. (I am merely the Mayor of Lurkerville.) Thank you for sharing the beautiful photo with us!

Beckie

Hi everyone,

This is my wonderful daughter Lydia and her bestfriend in the whole world Tyr. "My wonder Dog" as Lydia says. Tyr is Lydia's Autism Service Dog.

This year in September do to ongoing heart/health problem; I'm taking Lydia on her bucket list trip. We are cruising from Vancouver on the NCL Pearl then spending 5 days in Anaheim. We are Canadian and have not crossed the border with this dream team yet.

All and any advice and tips would be very helpful. We have all of Tyr's vet paper work, doctors documents, vaccination records ready to go and we are even having our vet fill out an Aphis 7001 from. Anything else we should do or know?! How dose NCL treat their (person/dog) teams and service dogs in general?

f81f489426e240394d76dddfa1a8bc3e.jpg

Welcome!! We were just on the Escape and they were great. Just be firm on what you would like in the potty box. We requested sod but they claimed they couldn't get it ( even though they knew months in advance). I guess Miami doesn't have any grass. On our first stop they managed to get some. In the meantime they had some kind of hamster bedding and Wexler HATED it. First time we ever had to make go in the box.

Cindy

Yearly......And, I HIGHLY recommend the Virbac or Ora-Clens Enzyme-Coated Oral Hygiene Chews. I prefer the Virbac but if you can't find them then go to the Ora-Clens. I buy mine from EntirelyPets.com. They're a bit pricey but EntirelyPets sells them the cheapest I've seen.

I give Henri the Virbac chews too - poor dog, she thinks they are such a treat (because I don't give her any real treats)!

A friend told me about the yak chews. They are made of yak milk, lime and salt. I was looking for something safe that I could occasionally give her to chew on that would last a while. I don't give her bones.

Dianne

Hi everyone,

Great picture of your daughter and her best friend. I haven't cruised yet with my dog, but some of the others on this board will be able to help you out.

Are you going to Disneyland when you are in Anaheim? They are very welcoming to service dogs.

Dianne

Great picture of your daughter and her best friend. I haven't cruised yet with my dog, but some of the others on this board will be able to help you out.

Are you going to Disneyland when you are in Anaheim? They are very welcoming to service dogs.

Dianne

Hi Dianne,

Yes we are heading to Disneyland and Universal. Lydia. Is most excited about Harry Potter Land!

Welcome!! We were just on the Escape and they were great. Just be firm on what you would like in the potty box. We requested sod but they claimed they couldn't get it ( even though they knew months in advance). I guess Miami doesn't have any grass. On our first stop they managed to get some. In the meantime they had some kind of hamster bedding and Wexler HATED it. First time we ever had to make go in the box.

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Thank you so much for the information. We have bought a package cruise and stay deal. The agency we are dealing with don't seem to thing a service dog useful [emoji35]. They have put use in cabin 5505. I tried to tell her we needed to be near a staff stairwell so

The BOX could go there and that it needed to be sod... She didn't sound too happy with me. I'll fine our more tomorrow. I was told by a NCL consultant that Service Dogs are usually booked into accessible cabins. Is this correct?!

Hi everyone,

Welcome, Joy! You, Lydia and Tyr will have a wonderful cruise.

You mentioned that you are Canadian. The Health Certificates for international animal export (form 7001) that most of us (who live in the US) have to get are only issued by a USDA-accredited vets and signed with their National Accreditation Number. I think all of these vets are U.S.-based, though I could be wrong of course.

Your Canadian vet can advise the needed documentation. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control website has a page on bringing pet dogs to the U.S. from Canada, and it sounds fairly simple if you are only traveling to U.S. ports on your cruise. (No differences by the way between pets or service dogs.)

The non-profit that trained my Hearing Dog (Dogs for the Deaf) now also is developing a program for Autism Assistance Dogs, so I was interested in your post.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information. Tyr has his by- yearly checkup next week. So we will talk to the vet then about the Canadian versions of 7001 form.

Tyr has changed Lydia life in every way. In ways we just never expected. Lydia is back in school, has friends, can go on trips and to family events now. Lydia still has melt- downs every once in a while but that's when you can really see hoe strong their (Lydia & Tyr) bond is.

Hi Joy,

Welcome to our crazy little abode. I am just a tag-a-long. No service dog, but have been with this "family" for years. I'm the red headed, crazy step-sista!

I worked as a teacher's asst in Special Ed for around 7 years. You would not believe the conversations I had with parents about getting their child a service dog and the +++++'s it could make in their lives. I am sure they thought I was over bearing and off my rocker, but I am a stead fast fan and that's that!

It warms my heart to hear that Lydia is blossoming out of her shell. As for melt downs, heck I have them and I am an old lady! I am sure you are just over the moon about the other progress and handle the melt downs with great patience.

You and your family are beautiful. I am sure Lydia will go into over load (In a good way) at Disneyland. It will surely wear her out! Have a great time. Come back and let us know all the details. We don't care how long your post is,as you can see from my ramblings!

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information. Tyr has his by- yearly checkup next week. So we will talk to the vet then about the Canadian versions of 7001 form.

Tyr has changed Lydia life in every way. In ways we just never expected. Lydia is back in school, has friends, can go on trips and to family events now. Lydia still has melt- downs every once in a while but that's when you can really see hoe strong their (Lydia & Tyr) bond is.

So wonderful to hear the change Tyr has made for Lydia! Our dogs truly are life-changing.

We've only sailed Holland America Line and Celebrity so far with the dog. It's great to get some sort of official-looking health certificate from your vet to bring to check-in because the cruise lines all probably expect it, along with a copy of the current rabies certificate and any other paperwork you want to bring. "The more, the better" is my motto because port officials are unpredictable.

Hi Joy,

Welcome to our crazy little abode. I am just a tag-a-long. No service dog, but have been with this "family" for years. I'm the red headed, crazy step-sista!

I worked as a teacher's asst in Special Ed for around 7 years. You would not believe the conversations I had with parents about getting their child a service dog and the +++++'s it could make in their lives. I am sure they thought I was over bearing and off my rocker, but I am a stead fast fan and that's that!

It warms my heart to hear that Lydia is blossoming out of her shell. As for melt downs, heck I have them and I am an old lady! I am sure you are just over the moon about the other progress and handle the melt downs with great patience.

You and your family are beautiful. I am sure Lydia will go into over load (In a good way) at Disneyland. It will surely wear her out! Have a great time. Come back and let us know all the details. We don't care how long your post is,as you can see from my ramblings!

Well let the people know you have spoken to someone who's chlilds whole life has been changed for the better by a Service Dog.

The times when Tyr is must important is when Lydia is in the hospital, having tests done or going to the dentist. These where terrible experiences for Lydia before we had Tyr. Now Lydia can cope with it in a way we never dreamed possible. 468fb4a3796e76a4e90d6ba5c6bba188.jpg2a74966f5b5fc4aacacb7a6a2594d548.jpg

Joy, WELCOME! You, Lydia and Tyr have given me my goose bumps for the week!!!! What a beautiful team your Lydia and Tyr are. I am thrilled to hear the difference that Tyr has made in Lydia's life. You don't have to sell me much on what these amazing dogs can do for our minds, souls and bodies - Not to speak of our hearts ♥

I loved how we were treated onboard NCL. We got lucky and had really good filler and the box was the best we've ever had onboard any cruise ship. Depending on who sets the box up, it can be a hit or a miss!

YOU have the power to make sure that you're pleased with the filler, the box and the placement of same. Remember: The Hotel Manager is your go-to person for your requests. Make them early on when you first board.

Remember: Give yourselves lots of time to get everywhere; to eat, to play and to just walk, because everyone will have lots of questions and will ask to pat Tyr. He's an extremely handsome dog and not the usual breed that you'd expect a lovely, young girl to be walking with! The public will be overly curious about him. If you wish you can allow your fellow passengers to pat him [upon request only], or, you don't have to if it works best for Lydia.

The elevators can be a problem for folks who are afraid of or just don't like dogs. Be aware of others in your environment. ALWAYS ask Tyr to sit or lay down when possible. This makes him easier to avoid for those who don't like or are allergic or afraid of him.

Be careful in the theatre or other areas where it may be dark and people may trip over or step on him. Try to get a table in the dining room that is against a wall or railing so that Tyr can lay down without being stepped on!!!

ALWAYS remind servers that he's there.

Make extra copies of all your paperwork and be ready to show it when getting on or off the ship,. Keep the originals and be ready to give a copy of everything to the registration people.

MOST IMPORTANTLY! Have fun!

Hi Cindy,

Thank you so much for the information. We have bought a package cruise and stay deal. The agency we are dealing with don't seem to thing a service dog useful [emoji35]. They have put use in cabin 5505. I tried to tell her we needed to be near a staff stairwell so

The BOX could go there and that it needed to be sod... She didn't sound too happy with me. I'll fine our more tomorrow. I was told by a NCL consultant that Service Dogs are usually booked into accessible cabins. Is this correct?!

They obviously know nothing about service dogs and think only people in wheelchairs have them.

Hi Joy,

Old lady? Crazy? Ramblings? Sounds like you Nancy pants!! 😀

I never knew you worked with special ed kids. Same as John!! Wexler is the best medicine for meltdowns!

Joy, WELCOME! You, Lydia and Tyr have given me my goose bumps for the week!!!! What a beautiful team your Lydia and Tyr are. I am thrilled to hear the difference that Tyr has made in Lydia's life. You don't have to sell me much on what these amazing dogs can do for our minds, souls and bodies - Not to speak of our hearts [emoji813]

I loved how we were treated onboard NCL. We got lucky and had really good filler and the box was the best we've ever had onboard any cruise ship. Depending on who sets the box up, it can be a hit or a miss!

YOU have the power to make sure that you're pleased with the filler, the box and the placement of same. Remember: The Hotel Manager is your go-to person for your requests. Make them early on when you first board.

Remember: Give yourselves lots of time to get everywhere; to eat, to play and to just walk, because everyone will have lots of questions and will ask to pat Tyr. He's an extremely handsome dog and not the usual breed that you'd expect a lovely, young girl to be walking with! The public will be overly curious about him. If you wish you can allow your fellow passengers to pat him [upon request only], or, you don't have to if it works best for Lydia.

The elevators can be a problem for folks who are afraid of or just don't like dogs. Be aware of others in your environment. ALWAYS ask Tyr to sit or lay down when possible. This makes him easier to avoid for those who don't like or are allergic or afraid of him.

Be careful in the theatre or other areas where it may be dark and people may trip over or step on him. Try to get a table in the dining room that is against a wall or railing so that Tyr can lay down without being stepped on!!!

ALWAYS remind servers that he's there.

Make extra copies of all your paperwork and be ready to show it when getting on or off the ship,. Keep the originals and be ready to give a copy of everything to the registration people.

MOST IMPORTANTLY! Have fun!

Thank you for all this great advice and information!!! Everywhere Lydia and Try go people always try to pet Tyr. Often I'll just say politely "no, he's working". If they press the point I let Lydia spend the next 5-10 mins giving her monologue about Tyr, service dogs and why you should never pet a service dog. It really is quite funny to see. I love watching my Lydia speaking to people, so full of confidence and not shy or scared anymore.

Joy, you may stay in any cabin that you choose and pay for. The ship can not limit you to the cabin that you prefer. Just like a hotel can NOT put you in a special room, or a restaurant seat you in a different area than everyone else.

I have stayed in just about every type of cabin and I prefer to have a balcony and have even convinced a ship or two to place his potty box on said balcony. They balk at first, reciting all sorts of regulations and laws but they give in after I don't back down and insist on how much easier and better my cruise would be if they place the box there or in a stairwell nearby.

I'm going to bring artificial turf to place on top of "whatever" they put in the box so that my Horton doesn't get sore feet, like he did last time when the Pacific Princess used the biggest/toughest/sharpest tree bark they could find for our 14 day cruise.

I may leave the turf behind or wash it in the shower and bring it home. It all depends on my mood that day. Our next cruise is 19 days.......I may be too exhausted to do one more thing and just leave it behind for them to either dispose of or clean and use for the next person who comes onboard with a Service Dog - [They'd be smart if they did this, but it may propose some sort of health dept. issue.]

We don't have to settle or back down when it comes to our needs and wants. Our money is being spent just like everyone else's and we [our dogs] should be treated with the respect and thoughtfulness that everyone is treated with.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Is anyone else participating this year in the free eye exam for service dogs? This is a wonderful program sponsored by AVCO, the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists. I think registration is closed now for 2016, but highly recommend it for next year.

Raylene had hers this morning - luckily the specialist vet is just a few miles from home, because we had torrential rain. It was so bad, she refused to jump out of the back seat - that was a first! - so I had to drag her out and towel her off inside.

We go every year because Raylene had a small, breed-typical cataract in one eye which led to her career change from Guide Dogs for the Blind to Dogs for the Deaf. Now she has them in both eyes, but after dilating and thoroughly examining, the vet today says, as they always do, that she doesn't think they'll ever give her any trouble but does recommend the annual check-up.

Is anyone else participating this year in the free eye exam for service dogs? This is a wonderful program sponsored by AVCO, the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists. I think registration is closed now for 2016, but highly recommend it for next year.

Henri has her eye appointment Friday morning. We were lucky that one of the participating Vets is only 15 minutes away. My daughter and I were joking about how they do the eye exams for a dog - I hope Henri knows how to read!

Dianne

Thank you for all this great advice and information!!! Everywhere Lydia and Try go people always try to pet Tyr. Often I'll just say politely "no, he's working". If they press the point I let Lydia spend the next 5-10 mins giving her monologue about Tyr, service dogs and why you should never pet a service dog. It really is quite funny to see. I love watching my Lydia speaking to people, so full of confidence and not shy or scared anymore.

Here are a couple of websites that give information on importing a dog into the US (including a PDF that applies to bringing a dog across the border from Canada).

http://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/importexport/animal-import-and-export/travel-with-a-pet/ct_animal_imports_pets

Dianne