Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

You know Walt, with all the joking about Horton's antics and crazy behavior, at times....I would be remiss, if I didn't also tell you about his amazing and wonderful skills. Not a day goes by that he doesn't want to help and assist with something. He's a diligent worker and a steadfast partner to me.

As I was to Brenda, I will always be grateful to Horton for keeping me going into life and all the challenges that are thrown my way. He doesn't care, he forages ahead with me by his side!

Thank you for stepping in briefly to share your story with us.

Thanks for sharing Walt. As Roz said we talk alot about our big goofy labs, but Wexler is a great service dog. Not only does he help John but he helps kids all day at school. Whether it's calming some kid down, laying on the reading rug while the kids read to him, or helping out a teacher that is having a bad day. These dogs are amazing!

You know how you come home from a cruise and it seems WAY too long until your next one? I started daydreaming about Alaska last week, checked prices, and found that we could tap into a promo and save $1,000 by going in 2016 instead.

AND, the same stateroom location I like on the Lower Promenade deck was available, close to the dog's box. So we re-booked for this August and now I'm trying to figure out shore excursions that work for a 70-lb Lab.

You know how you come home from a cruise and it seems WAY too long until your next one? I started daydreaming about Alaska last week, checked prices, and found that we could tap into a promo and save $1,000 by going in 2016 instead.

AND, the same stateroom location I like on the Lower Promenade deck was available, close to the dog's box. So we re-booked for this August and now I'm trying to figure out shore excursions that work for a 70-lb Lab.

The White Pass railway will work. We did it last time. This time we are doing a whale watch with Orca Enterprises. They said the dog will be fine. When in August are you going and what cruise line?

I agree with DKD and the White Pass Railway [Horton stayed in a down position] right near our seat. I loved it. We also took the Tram to the Inuit Indian Demonstration in Skagway.

In Vancouver we went to the Gardens.....This was definitely one of my favorite cruises. We were on the Golden Princess, on their last Alaskan cruise in September.

Thanks for sharing Walt. As Roz said we talk alot about our big goofy labs, but Wexler is a great service dog. Not only does he help John but he helps kids all day at school. Whether it's calming some kid down, laying on the reading rug while the kids read to him, or helping out a teacher that is having a bad day. These dogs are amazing!

Just like Wex, Horton seems to work for everyone in his environment. He loves everyone and they love him!

The White Pass railway will work. We did it last time. This time we are doing a whale watch with Orca Enterprises. They said the dog will be fine. When in August are you going and what cruise line?

We're on the August 29 sailing on Holland America 's Maasdam, two weeks out of Seattle roundtrip. I'm going to investigate and see if I can talk Bob back on a whale watch tour... we did two of them in 2012 when we were RVing up in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, but - what the heck - these would be Alaskan whales!

I agree with DKD and the White Pass Railway [Horton stayed in a down position] right near our seat. I loved it. We also took the Tram to the Inuit Indian Demonstration in Skagway.

In Vancouver we went to the Gardens.....This was definitely one of my favorite cruises. We were on the Golden Princess, on their last Alaskan cruise in September.

Thanks for the great input, Roz & Dennis! Keep it coming if you think of anything else.

I took a look, and our itinerary doesn't include Skagway, so the railway is out - darn. The good news is that it goes way up to Homer and Kodiak, new ports for me.

When I worked in the cruise industry (LONG ago), I had a chance to take a couple of Alaska cruises out of San Francisco, and got to go flightseeing once. I don't see trying to take the dog on one of those little bitty planes since she sure wouldn't fit at my feet!Today I asked Bob if he wanted to book flightseeing on his own, and he pointed out that he saw plenty of Alaska by air at Uncle Sam's expense when he was in the US Army based in Anchorage.

Thanks for the great input, Roz & Dennis! Keep it coming if you think of anything else.

I took a look, and our itinerary doesn't include Skagway, so the railway is out - darn. The good news is that it goes way up to Homer and Kodiak, new ports for me.

I'm jealous - you are going on another cruise before I can even get to my next one!

Dianne

For those whose dogs have had the leptospirosis vaccine - is it one shot a year, or is it a series of shots?

Does anyone given their dog yak chews?

Dianne

Looks like it's a yearly shot from what is can see in Wexler's records.

Don't know about the chews, Wex gets Virbac CET chews. They have enzymes in them to clean his teeth.

I apologize in advance if this question was already asked.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this Nov. We're thinking about taking a 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii and return to LA.

Going to Hawaii has always been on our bucket list, and we really enjoy cruising.

This is not our first cruise but it will be with a Service Dog.

Travelling with a service dog is somewhat new too us, and it can be some overwhelming.

We're trying figure how it works for the ports? There's 5 stops in Hawaii and one in Mexico.

From what we're able to find out, it looks like we have bring my service dog to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility in Honolulu.

How does this will this work? and, For Mexico it looks like we have to bring some documents and my service dog to the Office of Animal Health Inspection at the port of entry.

I'm a bit confused, more about Hawaii than Mexico.

Has anyone sailed to either Hawaii or Mexico with a Service Dog?

Thanks

Eric

I apologize in advance if this question was already asked.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary this Nov. We're thinking about taking a 15 day cruise from LA to Hawaii and return to LA.

Going to Hawaii has always been on our bucket list, and we really enjoy cruising.

This is not our first cruise but it will be with a Service Dog.

Travelling with a service dog is somewhat new too us, and it can be some overwhelming.

We're trying figure how it works for the ports? There's 5 stops in Hawaii and one in Mexico.

From what we're able to find out, it looks like we have bring my service dog to the Airport Animal Quarantine Holding Facility in Honolulu.

How does this will this work? and, For Mexico it looks like we have to bring some documents and my service dog to the Office of Animal Health Inspection at the port of entry.

I'm a bit confused, more about Hawaii than Mexico.

Has anyone sailed to either Hawaii or Mexico with a Service Dog?

Thanks

Eric

Hi, Eric and welcome to the forum. Your cruise to Hawaii sounds wonderful! I was on a similar one several years ago before I was partnered with my dog. There were three service dogs on board, and I spoke with one woman who was furious that her dog was not allowed ashore in Hawaii. So it's smart that you are making the necessary preparation as early as possible.

Your dog's veterinarian is the best place to start with your questions. It appears from Googling that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency is your country's counterpart to the U.S. Dept of Agriculture:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/exports/live-animals/health-certificates/pets/eng/1321265624789/1321281361100

That page has a sample Canadian health certificate, which could be the document you will need for exporting your service animal to other countries, but your vet will know. Also on that page, countries are listed if you scroll down - for example, you'll find Mexico information. Beyond having the correct paperwork to provide the ship, I found Mexico (on the Caribbean side) to be fairly simple last year - I did not have to go to any office, nor meet any local government official. Others may have had different experiences.

You are right that Hawaii is a special case, with very stringent requirements that MUST be met before the dog can go ashore.

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/animal-quarantine-information-page/guide-service-dogs-entering-hawaii/

There are phone numbers and email addresses on that page for more assistance. For example, you can ask them about procedures for arrival by cruise ship. Note that the dog must be microchipped and have the required blood testing done for Hawaii, which is rabies-free. The test is done at the Kansas State veterinary laboratory:

http://www.ksvdl.org/rabies-laboratory/favn-test/index.html

Do you belong to IAADP? http://www.iaadp.org/

If not, you may wish to investigate. If you are able to join, you can request a 10% discount on the rabies testing. Service dog's blood samples also are moved to the front of the line.

I hope this information may be of some use.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I got my puppy!

ChaFnDVU0AAMuRt.jpg

Meet Bucky (99% sure on the name, but I needed something to tell the vet when I made his appointment.) He's a NAID, which is a cross of Siberian Husky, Chinook, Malamute, and German Shepherd Dog. He's only eight weeks old, but I estimate he's already 13-15 pounds.

ChaFnC8UcAAiTZK.jpg

So far, we've all had a stressful start, with a long drive from California to Arizona, an incident of pottying in my car, and a subsequent bath, but we're looking forward to spending a relaxing week adjusting. Our only outings this week are a vet visit and two trips to a friend's house. Wish us luck!

I got my puppy!

ChaFnDVU0AAMuRt.jpg

Meet Bucky (99% sure on the name, but I needed something to tell the vet when I made his appointment.) He's a NAID, which is a cross of Siberian Husky, Chinook, Malamute, and German Shepherd Dog. He's only eight weeks old, but I estimate he's already 13-15 pounds.

ChaFnC8UcAAiTZK.jpg

So far, we've all had a stressful start, with a long drive from California to Arizona, an incident of pottying in my car, and a subsequent bath, but we're looking forward to spending a relaxing week adjusting. Our only outings this week are a vet visit and two trips to a friend's house. Wish us luck!

Very cute!! Best of luck!

Very cute!! Best of luck!

OMG, just too cute! Have fun and remember to breathe. They learn fast. Take lots of photos. :)

OMD, Krypti! Can he get any cuter? And already a snuggler. :D

Thanks! We were up every hour or two last night as he got used to being in a kennel without his littermates. I'm hoping he naps today so I can get some sleep, but so far, life in his new home is just way too exciting. Maybe the vet visit will wear him out?

I got my puppy!

ChaFnDVU0AAMuRt.jpg

Congratulations on getting your puppy. He is adorable.

Dianne