Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Just curious, will upscale cruise lines, e.g. Silversea allow a 14 lb. registered emotional support dog on board for a voyage that is totally within U.S. and Canada? Does the law require them to accept such licensed service dogs?

Edited by meow!

Just curious, will upscale cruise lines, e.g. Silversea allow a 14 lb. registered emotional support dog on board for a voyage that is totally within U.S. and Canada? Does the law require them to accept such licensed service dogs?

The law does not require them to accept an ESA. Only a fully trained service dog or miniature horse, per the ADA.

I hope you didn't pay anyone to "register", since there is no legitimate way to do so.

An ESA is only applicable under fair housing or on a plane.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

What is a fully trained service dog? This one wears an official badge clothing as a service dog! It also has government issued certificate valid for both U.S. and Canada, and the voyage is totally within U.S. and Canada.

Does anyone have such a case experience with Silversea?

Edited by meow!

What is a fully trained service dog? This one wears an official badge clothing as a service dog! It also has government issued certificate valid for both U.S. and Canada, and the voyage is totally within U.S. and Canada.

Some confusion arises here because of the terms you use. A registered (with whom?) emotional support dog is not a service dog.

The rules for service dogs are different from the rules for emotional support dogs. The terms are not interchangeable.

What country are you from? The US and Canadian laws with regards to service dogs are somewhat different. In the US, there is no government agency that issues certificates for service dogs.

-

Some confusion arises here because of the terms you use. A registered (with whom?) emotional support dog is not a service dog.

The rules for service dogs are different from the rules for emotional support dogs. The terms are not interchangeable.

Perhaps the following link will clear up the discussion:

http://usdogregistry.org/

Actually, the relevant dog tags clearly states that federal law requires access to "service" (physical) and "emotional support" (psychological) dogs, but not "therapy" dogs.

The permit is valid for both U.S. and Canada, and both countries have the same vaccination rules for dogs. You can freely bring your dog from U.S. to Canada and vice versa (e.g. put your dog in your car and just drive through the U.S.-Canadian border).

So for a voyage totally within the U.S. and Canada, there should be no problem for an emotional support dog.

Edited by meow!

-

Actually, the relevant dog tags clearly states that federal law requires access to "service" (physical) and "emotional support" (psychological) dogs, but not "therapy" dogs.

The permit is valid for both U.S. and Canada, and both countries have the same vaccination rules for dogs. You can freely bring your dog from U.S. to Canada and vice versa (e.g. put your dog in your car and just drive through the U.S.-Canadian border).

So for a voyage totally within the U.S. and Canada, there should be no problem for an emotional support dog.

The link you provided is one of the scammer companies. They have no legal standing. I'm very sorry you were taken in by them.

A service dog and an emotional support dog are two different things. A service dog is under the ADA. Emotional support is only a housing issue under the Fair Housing Act. An ESA (emotional support animal) is a "companion animal" and provides companionship. It is not trained to perform a task as a service animal is. It may make you feel better, but is not the same as a service dog.

Federal law does not provide for an ESA to go into non-pet-friendly locations, and is not welcome at the supermarket, restaurants, theaters, etc.

Please keep reading about SDs. They perform actual tasks for their human partner.

Note what their website states:

2013 US Dog Registry. All Rights Reserved. The US Dog Registry is an independent organization providing service dog, emotional support dog, and therapy dog registration and products, and is not affiliated with the ADA or any government agency.

They state on their page they are not a government agency.

-

I'm sorry but Algebralover is correct - there is no such thing as a legitimate US Service Dog Registry. In fact the ADA specifically states that no documentation is required for Service Dog Owners.

Many legitimate Service Dog organizations such as CCI are pushing for legislation to require licensing real Service Animals just so rip-off businesses such as the one you listed can be put out of business.

I realize this is not the answer you were looking for but it is what it is...I hope you will continue following this thread as it contains some of the best information out there.

-

As the others have pointed out, unfortunately this "dog registry" is one of many internet companies in the business of selling fake credentials, dog jackets, tags, leashes, etc.

Just because pets can travel freely on foot or by automobiles within the US and cross the Canadian border does not mean there "should be no problem for an emotional support animal" on a cruise ship. If you haven't already called the cruise line, let us know what their answer is when you do.

Cruise ships sailing from US ports, like other US businesses, must accommodate the needs of passengers with disabilities in accordance with the provisions of the ADA, a Federal law administered by the Justice Department. A service animal is defined in the law.

The ADA does not apply to emotional support animals.

As the others have pointed out, unfortunately this "dog registry" is one of many internet companies in the business of selling fake credentials, dog jackets, tags, leashes, etc.

Just because pets can travel freely on foot or by automobiles within the US and cross the Canadian border does not mean there "should be no problem for an emotional support animal" on a cruise ship. If you haven't already called the cruise line, let us know what their answer is when you do.

Cruise ships sailing from US ports, like other US businesses, must accommodate the needs of passengers with disabilities in accordance with the provisions of the ADA, a Federal law administered by the Justice Department. A service animal is defined in the law.

The ADA does not apply to emotional support animals.

A Service Dog MUST perform a task for it's handler. Remember: It's the "handler" who is covered by the ADA not the dog.

Dogs who work with the Wounded Warrior program may not always perform a physical task but may be trained to stand between other people and its handler to make him/her feel safe or will scope out a cruise ship cabin or a hotel room to let its handler know there's no one waiting for him/her inside. This dog assists in making its handler feel safe! There's a lot more to the tasks this dog performs, it's amazing to see them work together.

Fairbourne: I work in a building that is treated like homeland security treats the President [at least the sitting one!]; with x-ray machines; men who carry rifles and guns.......it's like working with the CIA!!!

Our offices have changed all computer systems and a lot of us lost our email addresses so please forgive me for writing this here.......When the adorable dinosaur and shortbread came through the mail [today], they were both treated like contraband. I'm grateful they didn't break the little beast apart in search of weapons. Horton is not aloud to touch it, it's so cute!!!!

Thank you dear heart for thinking of us and thank you to Horton's furry friends. I can't believe how far it all traveled!

Now, let's plan a cruise together!

Now, let's plan a cruise together![/b][/color]

Oh no - I hope they didn't eat the shortbread! :eek::D. Please give poor Horty the treat, poor deprived boy that he is! LOL! I've emailed you! :) And a huge YES to the cruise .... you know I could have taken a TA cruise and then a bus to LA and got there quicker than that package! LOL!

I have a sort of funny story about office security. My DH works in the oil industry and the shore office checks all sorts of packages before they get sent offshore including gifts for people working on the rigs. Anyway a small package was sent to a chap working offshore and as per company policy was checked out (opened) and inside was an envelope full of white powder .... Well immediate panic and shut down as you can imagine. Thankfully it turned out to be a lonely but romantic wife who had sent her husband love hearts (an old fashioned hard sweet here which have messages on them, eg "I love you", "Be Mine" - you get the picture.) Well what she hadn't reckoned on was that the sweets could, and did, get crushed in the mail. So be careful what you send through the post! I wonder what her message to him was? But boy was he embarrassed! :D

Happy New Year to everyone and sending you all our very best wishes from the home of Hogmanay and real Whisky! ;)

Edited by fairbourne

Now, let's plan a cruise together![/b][/color]

Oh no - I hope they didn't eat the shortbread! :eek::D. Please give poor Horty the treat, poor deprived boy that he is! LOL! I've emailed you! :) And a huge YES to the cruise .... you know I could have taken a TA cruise and then a bus to LA and got there quicker than that package! LOL!

I have a sort of funny story about office security. My DH works in the oil industry and the shore office checks all sorts of packages before they get sent offshore including gifts for people working on the rigs. Anyway a small package was sent to a chap working offshore and as per company policy was checked out (opened) and inside was an envelope full of white powder .... Well immediate panic and shut down as you can imagine. Thankfully it turned out to be a lonely but romantic wife who had sent her husband love hearts (an old fashioned hard sweet here which have messages on them, eg "I love you", "Be Mine" - you get the picture.) Well what she hadn't reckoned on was that the sweets could, and did, get crushed in the mail. So be careful what you send through the post! I wonder what her message to him was? But boy was he embarrassed! :D

Happy New Year to everyone and sending you all our very best wishes from the home of Hogmanay and real Whisky! ;)

Yep! That's my life, where I work! It makes the TSA at the airports look like "kindergarten cops", nothing gets by these guys, nothing!

I, too, am very shocked that they didn't help themselves to the shortbread, except that through the x-ray machine it looked too innocent to open!!!

I'm not complaining, in todays society it feels pretty good to know that someone has our backs!!!!:D

The link you provided is one of the scammer companies. They have no legal standing. I'm very sorry you were taken in by them.

A service dog and an emotional support dog are two different things. A service dog is under the ADA. Emotional support is only a housing issue under the Fair Housing Act. An ESA (emotional support animal) is a "companion animal" and provides companionship. It is not trained to perform a task as a service animal is. It may make you feel better, but is not the same as a service dog.

Federal law does not provide for an ESA to go into non-pet-friendly locations, and is not welcome at the supermarket, restaurants, theaters, etc.

Please keep reading about SDs. They perform actual tasks for their human partner.

I have just called Oceania Cruises. They told me whatever your opinion, Oceania considers an "emotional support dog" a "service dog", and both of them will be accorded the same treatment. That is, both will be allowed on board Oceania ships on voyages that start or end or have a port of call in the United States.

So for those NOT interested in "legal arguments", this is the fact for Oceania cruises, one of the cruise lines not allowing pets on board. So instead of taking others' posts "as is", call the cruise line directly and find out.

Edited by meow!

I have just called Oceania Cruises. They told me whatever your opinion, Oceania considers an "emotional support dog" a "service dog", and both of them will be accorded the same treatment. That is, both will be allowed on board Oceania ships on voyages that start or end or have a port of call in the United States.

So for those NOT interested in "legal arguments", this is the fact for Oceania cruises, one of the cruise lines not allowing pets on board. So instead of taking others' posts "as is", call the cruise line directly and find out.

Meow: This is truly a "gray" area for cruise lines and public spaces. They have to be very careful who they turn away with a Service Dog. The Wounded Warrior program has realized that their dogs are "Emotional Support" dogs with a "twist"......here comes the "gray" area. Their SD's do perform a task in the way that they "emotionally support" the Vet. Although they are not distinguished as "ES" dogs the service they perform could be considered just that!

Now, if you bring the cruise lines into the equation, they have to be very careful not to turn away a Serviceman or Woman with a Service Dog who serves the purpose of assisting the Vet not to feel anxious in public environs and to feel safe in all situations i.e. entering an elevator or his/her cabin or hotel room.

Would you know if a person carrying or walking with such a dog is a war Vet? Certainly not by just looking at them. After all, some of our Vets are not just from Afghanistan or Iraq....some of them go as far back as Viet Nam and can be in their 60's or older now.

The truth lies in the behavior of the dog. A true Service Dog [no matter what the service] will be well-mannered; well-groomed and socialized. It will NEVER nip, bark, whine, growl or in any way act badly towards the public. The dog will ALWAYS give away the fake!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Meow - the answers we posted here were not adressed to whether you and your ESA would be allowed on a cruise ship, but were in response to your post about a Service Dog licensed from the website you listed.

The fact is still that in the US there is no such thing as a national registry for Service Dogs; in fact such a registry would be currently in violation of the ADA as I understand the law.

The website you listed is one of many out there that offer documents that really mean nothing, and your registration for your dog has no legal standing anywhere in the US; I am not saying your dog is not an ESA just that there is no national registry for such.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your ESA is representative of all that is the best about Service and Emotional Support Animals. I also hope you will take the time to read through all 18000+ posts on this almost 10 year old thread (Roz we need to have a PARTY July 6!:):)); you will not only find it extremely helpful but also very emotionally fulfilling.

You were absolutely correct that the best answer is to always call the Cruise line directly - whether it is Silversea or Oceania.

Keith

Edited by alexspepa

Meow!, thank you for calling and letting us know what the cruise line said, as I requested. Enjoy your Oceania cruise!

One thing to be aware of is that hotels, stores, restaurants, taxis, shore excursion operators, etc you may encounter in the US and Canada might take a dim view of all animals entering the premises however the ADA does mandate that people with disabilities may be accompanied by service animals. (Emotional support animals do not fall under that law.)

You might also want to request that Oceania confirm in writing the policy you were given verbally on the phone, along with their written guidelines for traveling on board with an animal, which most cruise lines provide for your signature before boarding,

Edited by Caribbean Chris

I was told definitively that an emotional support dog is considered a service dog by Oceania, because it provides service. Until I am ready to book, I won't bother them again. It seems that some people have been interpreting the terms too strictly and thereby give themselves unnecessary worries. I posed the question last weekend when the cruise lines are closed, I did not envisage that it would turn into a debate.

You are quite welcome to call Oceania yourself, if you get the same answer, then it must be correct. And that will do this forum some practical and useful service.

Meow - the answers we posted here were not adressed to whether you and your ESA would be allowed on a cruise ship, but were in response to your post about a Service Dog licensed from the website you listed.

The fact is still that in the US there is no such thing as a national registry for Service Dogs; in fact such a registry would be currently in violation of the ADA as I understand the law.

The website you listed is one of many out there that offer documents that really mean nothing, and your registration for your dog has no legal standing anywhere in the US; I am not saying your dog is not an ESA just that there is no national registry for such.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and that your ESA is representative of all that is the best about Service and Emotional Support Animals. I also hope you will take the time to read through all 18000+ posts on this almost 10 year old thread (Roz we need to have a PARTY July 6!:):)); you will not only find it extremely helpful but also very emotionally fulfilling.

You were absolutely correct that the best answer is to always call the Cruise line directly - whether it is Silversea or Oceania.

Keith

Keith, I'd love to be with ALL of you in celebration of this thread. I'm amazed at how quickly the time flew! We have ALL shared some wonderful stories filled with joy, laughter and some sadness through the years. Most of all, I've learned so much about traveling with a Service Dog and all that it entails and so much about myself.

We are wonderful support for each other, and I do believe we've influenced a few to become more involved in the Service Dog world and that's a very good thing!!!! I treasure all of you!!!!

Very interesting, Meow!

It is up to Oceania, so I would be sure to get it in writing.

I'm actually more upset about the scammer "registration " site than anything.

Me too!! CCI is really working hard at trying to shut down those phony web sites and get a Federal registry going so that we will never have to be subjected to a barking, nipping dog in the market or onboard our cruises with us!!!!

There are many more cruise lines, hotels and restaurants which welcome friendly animals than those which do not. So each business decides their own policy. As customers, we ask the business owners whether we are welcome. Legal argument showmanship is of no use to anybody. Each business owner must have gone through many arguments and decided their policy over the years. Can you find a cruise line with ships that carry several hundred passengers that will not accept emotional support dogs? Tell me which ones, and if you can't find any, that answers your own question.

Please don't change this tread from an information thread to an advocacy thread for or against emotional support dogs.

Edited by meow!

Scooter update time!

He turns 13 months next week, and meets the minimum recommended standards from ADI, so he goes everywhere with me now. He is doing so well!

We flew to see the in-laws over the holidays and he did well. We did learn he is not a fan of flying. He managed the 3.25 hour flight though. The rest of the visit was easy.

This week, I'm traveling with him alone for the first time. The flight was only about an hour, and he still hates the flight, but managed. His attitude when we boarded and was put into down was almost a "okay, I will, but don't like what is coming."

He did awesome at the hotel. I told him to lay on his rug and stay, and he did a good job of staying there for the night.

Until, that is, about 5 this morning. I woke to him on the bed, pushing me with his nose to wake me up. I woke up and he started pawing at my knee. Now, we've been teaching that when he senses me shifting he should paw my knee, so I took stock. Yep, things were about to go bad.

So, I took meds and he curled up next to me and we went back to sleep for a couple of hours.

I woke up again and realized that while I'm not perfect, it could be a lot worse, especially since I have to fly home late this afternoon.

This is why I am going through all of this work. Wow. Go Scooter!

I just finished a presentation at my conference. Can you imagine if I had just woken up a few hours later? I likely would not have made the presentation.