Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, never used one before.

If I posted in the wrong place please forgive me. :-)

I am going on a cruise in three weeks.

Harmony of the Seas with RCCL.

We are going to Nassau and St. Marten.

It will be my second cruise but first with my guide dog.

Is there anything other than a health certificate I need?

Her shots are all up to date.

The plan is to keep her on the boat at all times. (Husband's parents will watch her if I go off the ship.)

Is there a policy for crates? (Sherman may need to be crated if we go to a late-night show if she is exhausted).

How manypotty boxes are typically on cruise ships?

Anything. I need to be prepare for when boarding with her?

Edited by NinjaPup

Impossible! Someone please slow the time down. Leann Emily will be 10 in July and Jezzy Lou will be 8 in Febuary. I still think of them as a kitten and a puppy! :eek: Mine still act like it, at least.

We had a 13 year old acted like a puppy up to the moment he died, a 14 year old the same.

So I'm not sure dogs or cats know how to act their age.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, never used one before.

If I posted in the wrong place please forgive me. :-)

I am going on a cruise in three weeks.

Harmony of the Seas with RCCL.

We are going to Nassau and St. Marten.

It will be my second cruise but first with my guide dog.

Is there anything other than a health certificate I need?

Her shots are all up to date.

The plan is to keep her on the boat at all times. (Husband's parents will watch her if I go off the ship.)

Is there a policy for crates? (Sherman may need to be crated if we go to a late-night show if she is exhausted).

How manypotty boxes are typically on cruise ships?

Anything. I need to be prepare for when boarding with her?

Hi and welcome...

First of all, make lots of copies of form 7001 and vaccination records. You will need them. Also, if you haven't already done so, contact the cruise line to get permission to bring your service dog. Check to USDA website to make sure you comply with each of your ports regulations. I keep a file folder with all of our dog's records and permits to present at each port. Be prepared to bring the dog to meet with customs officials while the ship is being cleared upon arrival. You will also need those records when reentering the US.

As for being on board, most cruise lines state that you must have your animal with you, and that she cannot be left alone, crated or otherwise, in your cabin.

You will find that your dog will be well received by most passengers. However, be prepared to deal with the naysayers, who don't believe dogs of any kind, service or not, on board. Hang in there, because you are within your rights to have her there with you.😊

Cindra

Hi and welcome...

First of all, make lots of copies of form 7001 and vaccination records. You will need them. Also, if you haven't already done so, contact the cruise line to get permission to bring your service dog.

As for being on board, most cruise lines state that you must have your animal with you, and that she cannot be left alone, crated or otherwise, in your

Cindra

Hi!

What is form 7001 and how do I get it? My vet was going to do a health certificate, wihich was required for one of the ports.

The cruise line knows I'm bringing my dog.

How many potty boxes are usually on the ship?

Hmmm, I thought she could be in the room if I was on the ship. I just can't leave the ship. I hope to hear from guest services soon.

As far as meeting the customs people, does that require me waking up super early?

Meagan

Hi!

What is form 7001 and how do I get it? My vet was going to do a health certificate, wihich was required for one of the ports.

The cruise line knows I'm bringing my dog.

How many potty boxes are usually on the ship?

Hmmm, I thought she could be in the room if I was on the ship. I just can't leave the ship. I hope to hear from guest services soon.

As far as meeting the customs people, does that require me waking up super early?

Meagan

The 7001 for is the health certificate. Just like us, we will not get off the ship except for St Thomas which only requires the health certificate.

You cannot leave your dog in the cabin alone, crated or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

The 7001 for is the health certificate. Just like us, we will not get off the ship except for St Thomas which only requires the health certificate.

You cannot leave your dog in the cabin alone, crated or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app[/quote

Guess I will not be taking her crate then. She wouldn't be sleeping in it at night anyways as she alerts to nightmares too.

Is there a safe place for her to run and be a silly dog for about 10/15 minutes? If not I'll take her on the track and walk "off duty" to release the day's stress.

I have no idea where my room is, but if the potty box is too far for my liking can I request it to be moved?

Is there a safe place for her to run and be a silly dog for about 10/15 minutes? If not I'll take her on the track and walk "off duty" to release the day's stress.

I have no idea where my room is, but if the potty box is too far for my liking can I request it to be moved?

I have not sailed on RCCL so I don't know their specific policies. I have sailed Celebrity (which is owned by RCCL) and they usually have one relief box. You can request to have the box moved, but it will be a battle. On our last cruise they did eventually move the box, but it took a lot of persistence to get them to do it. Other cruise lines are more accommodating about moving the box.

If you have to have your dog inspected, it will be done at the time the ship docks. If you dock early, the inspection will be early.

We found an unoccupied conference room to use to take my dog off leash and throw the ball around for her. We tried playing ball on deck when no one else was around, but it was too slippery.

I have not sailed on RCCL so I don't know their specific policies. I have sailed Celebrity (which is owned by RCCL) and they usually have one relief box. You can request to have the box moved, but it will be a battle. On our last cruise they did eventually move the box, but it took a lot of persistence to get them to do it. Other cruise lines are more accommodating about moving the box.

If you have to have your dog inspected, it will be done at the time the ship docks. If you dock early, the inspection will be early.

We found an unoccupied conference room to use to take my dog off leash and throw the ball around for her. We tried playing ball on deck when no one else was around, but it was too slippery.

Thanks!

Any idea what is needed for st. Marteen? Internet shows many variable. I don't understand the pet import permit or how to get one...

Bahamas says 7001 and vaccine records.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Any idea what is needed for st. Marteen? Internet shows many variable. I don't understand the pet import permit or how to get one...

Anything I'm forgetting?

When you visit a foreign country with your dog, you are importing it.

You also need to be sure the Certificate of health is the federal one, signed by a USDA certified vet, not just a state one.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

When you visit a foreign country with your dog, you are importing it.

You also need to be sure the Certificate of health is the federal one, signed by a USDA certified vet, not just a state one.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Thanks!

I will call to double check tomorrow, but I am sure it is Federal because they do health certificates to import pets and their airmen moving overseas. (military veterinarian)

Anything I'm forgetting?

Permit info for both countries can be found on the USDA APHIS website. Google APHIS iRegs, and click "Traveling with a Pet?" Use the drop-down menu to select countries where you plan to take the dog ashore. They seem to be keeping the info current.

Your USDA vet can fill out and sign the St. Maarten form. Apply for Bahamas yourself by mail as far in advance as possible or by fax. You may need to call to follow up, and they will mail or fax the permit. They will waive the fee for a service dog, so include a copy of your ID card or other documentation.

As already stated, you must have a Form 7001 filled out and signed by a USDA certified vet regardless of whether you obtain country permits.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Permit info for both countries can be found on the USDA APHIS website. Google APHIS iRegs, and click "Traveling with a Pet?" Use the drop-down menu to select countries where you plan to take the dog ashore. They seem to be keeping the info current.

Your USDA vet can fill out and sign the St. Maarten form. Apply for Bahamas yourself by mail as far in advance as possible or by fax. You may need to call to follow up, and they will mail or fax the permit. They will waive the fee for a service dog, so include a copy of your ID card or other documentation.

As already stated, you must have a Form 7001 filled out and signed by a USDA certified vet regardless of whether you obtain country permits.

I looked months ago via research and this is the first time I'm finding I out about mail, not enough time they want it 4 weejs in advance... I leave in three

Is there another way to do it? :-/

How do I go about getting a service animal passport?

I looked months ago via research and this is the first time I'm finding I out about mail, not enough time they want it 4 weejs in advance... I leave in three

Is there another way to do it? :-/

How do I go about getting a service animal passport?

You can fax the Bahamas application and call to follow up. Give them a fax number to send back your permit.

There are commercial vendors who would like for you to buy their "passports" but to my knowledge, there is no such thing as an official service animal passport as an ID document such as the ones people possess. (There is a passport document concept for the European Union countries.). Each time you leave the US, you need to obtain a health certificate and applicable country forms.

Along with an original rabies certificate, it is a good idea to bring all shot records, microchip number info, spay and neuter info, treatments you’ve given the dog and date(flea & tick and heart worm), etc. In other words, bring everything official you have. You'll be prepared in case it is requested.

You can fax the Bahamas application and call to follow up. Give them a fax number to send back your permit.

There are commercial vendors who would like for you to buy their "passports" but to my knowledge, there is no such thing as an official service animal passport as an ID document such as the ones people possess. (There is a passport document concept for the European Union countries.). Each time you leave the US, you need to obtain a health certificate and applicable country forms.

Along with an original rabies certificate, it is a good idea to bring all shot records, microchip number info, spay and neuter info, treatments you’ve given the dog and date(flea & tick and heart worm), etc. In other words, bring everything official you have. You'll be prepared in case it is requested.

Thanks for your help. I called them to ask for their fax number and they said they no longer accept faxes for pet permits. :( I wasn't planning on taking her off the ship anyways, it was for just in case.

When i did my research I understood it as I have to give it to the customs people, and had even called they never said anything about a permit. Just to show customs health certificate. I am glad you told me.

You all are so busy.

Remember: There is no such thing as a Service Dog Passport. Most cruise ship documentation for your Service Dog onboard the ship states: You may NOT leave your dog alone in the cabin, crated or not. Cruise ships travel on some very unstable "ground!" You are taking some serious risks when you leave your dog alone. Please don't!

Also the Aphis 7001 form, filled out by your Vet is really sufficient for most foreign ports.

A ships officer will want to see you and your dog at some time during the cruise, very early in the morning and with an Immigration Official from one or more of the ports that you are visiting. They may pre-warn you of this visit by phone [the night before or the morning of the inspection] or they will leave a note in your message box [outside your cabin.] Personally, I find it so annoying, just saying!

Again, if you're unhappy with the placement of the potty box......INSIST they move it to your veranda [if you have one] or in a stairwell near your cabin.

To all our friends who live in the frozen east or north.......Please keep you and your dogs safe and warm.

Happy weekend and New Year EVERYONE ♥ ♥ ♥

Cindy, John and Wexy............STAY WELL.....You have people to see and places to go!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Roz, it's interesting that I've never been called to meet any officials at all on the six cruises with the dog (3 each on HAL and Celebrity). It must depend on the cruise line or the ports of call. Ours were mostly Caribbean from Florida, one thru the Canal, and one to Alaska.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

my husband had an issue at Walmart because his service dog is a chihuahua and carries her in his walker basket. The lady working at Walmart stopped him and said you are not allowed to have pets in the store. My husband showed her the badge and told her she was a service dog and the lady turned around stated, Service dog walk and another one asked if she was a seeing eye dog. I really feel sorry for these people. I can't help but laugh now.

Roz, it's interesting that I've never been called to meet any officials at all on the six cruises with the dog (3 each on HAL and Celebrity). It must depend on the cruise line or the ports of call. Ours were mostly Caribbean from Florida, one thru the Canal, and one to Alaska.

We were never asked until we took a western Caribbean. Had to go down for all mexican ports.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app