Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

3 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

So we (my mom & I, and Bentley of course) have 2 upcoming cruises, a 3 night to the Bahamas in the beginning of April and a 7 night to Alaska towards the end of May. We also just found out last week that my dad has cancer. Obviously my dad comes first, but we were still a bit worried about the fate of our cruises, not only because we enjoy them, but we also have a lot of (non-refundable) money into them. We found out today that my dad's surgery should be scheduled perfectly in between both of them. It'll be great to have one cruise to prepare us for all to come, and then another cruise to de-stress after going through a tough surgery with my dad. Just the excitement of our upcoming cruises has been helping my mom & I get through all of this already!

M, my heart goes out to you.  I know what it feels like to have someone so special in our lives be ill.  Isn't it amazing how going on a future cruise takes some of the pain of the situation away?!?

Keep the positive thoughts in your head and keep looking forward to wonderful times together.

Please accept my cyber-hug!  ❤️

16 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Fairbourne, DisneyKidsDad,  I'm sending you some warm hugs and loving good thoughts.   I miss you!  💖

Sorry for being away so long.  Work and home have been crazy for a while now.  We still have our cruise booked for May 2020.  As of now we will not be able to take Gretel.  We can't find a USDA Vet in our area.  The one we had has been out on disability for two years with a back problem.  And no one else in the practice wants to step up and get the certification required.  But in a way it's OK.  We went to Tortola with Orson and it wasn't good.  We were chased out of many shops and we got dirty looks by the locals on the streets.

Our puppy in training, Winchester just turned a year old.  He is by far the most challenging puppy yet.  But we just keep working with him and hoping for the best.

Birthday.thumb.jpg.cd16d1fba6e8a52065a592704a2567ba.jpg

17 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

M, my heart goes out to you.  I know what it feels like to have someone so special in our lives be ill.  Isn't it amazing how going on a future cruise takes some of the pain of the situation away?!?

Keep the positive thoughts in your head and keep looking forward to wonderful times together.

Please accept my cyber-hug!  ❤️

Thank you very much! Our upcoming cruises are definitely a huge help. And of course Bentley is a huge help as well, when we got the bad news, he broke his under to come comfort me and lick away the tears. While it might not be a task, these dogs always know how to help us in whatever way it may be!

Dennis, Winchester certainly gets lots of points for cuteness! That look on his face says, "what do you mean by 'challenging puppy,' dad?"

Here's a picture of Raylene's boyfriend Firenze (a yellow Lab CCI Hearing Dog from the Orlando campus) when he came over to our house for a play date last week. We have a fenced back yard, and the two doggies ran like the wind out there. We loved watching them, especially when they both ran with ends of the same toy in their mouths.

Firenze's mom, Pat, said "This is the best day of Firenze's life. It's like he's gone to Disneyland!" Needless to say, we're all looking forward to another play date soon, and - fingers crossed - we may be keeping Firenze for five days if Pat goes on a trip in May. Here's a photo of tuckered-out 7 year-old Raylene, and bright-eyed 2 year-old Firenze waiting for the next round of chasing.

IMG_1352.jpg

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 3/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, DisneyKidsDad said:

Sorry for being away so long.  Work and home have been crazy for a while now.  We still have our cruise booked for May 2020.  As of now we will not be able to take Gretel.  We can't find a USDA Vet in our area.  The one we had has been out on disability for two years with a back problem.  And no one else in the practice wants to step up and get the certification required.  But in a way it's OK.  We went to Tortola with Orson and it wasn't good.  We were chased out of many shops and we got dirty looks by the locals on the streets.

Our puppy in training, Winchester just turned a year old.  He is by far the most challenging puppy yet.  But we just keep working with him and hoping for the best.

Omg he is beautiful! I can't believe hes a year old already. 

On 3/13/2019 at 6:58 AM, DisneyKidsDad said:

I'm so glad to hear that it's simply "life" getting in the way of living for you and your family!  It's so good to hear from you and certainly good to know that you have a cruise in your future.

Winchester sounds like quite a challenge, but if anyone can bring him around it will be you and your family!  Otherwise, that handsome face will belong to some very lucky "non-working" family!  Talk about an adorable "frowny" face!

Take care and don't stay away so long! 

6 minutes ago, rangeley said:

We have our cruise in May. John is filling out paperwork right now. I can't wait. We really need this. 🏝️🚢

I'm so glad that you've got this cruise in your future.  It's been a difficult time for both of you and Wexy would want you to keep moving forward. 

We're very lucky to have such joyful memories of times with our Service Dogs on board these magnificent floating hotels! 

22 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Dennis, Winchester certainly gets lots of points for cuteness! That look on his face says, "what do you mean by 'challenging puppy,' dad?"

Here's a picture of Raylene's boyfriend Firenze (a yellow Lab CCI Hearing Dog from the Orlando campus) when he came over to our house for a play date last week. We have a fenced back yard, and the two doggies ran like the wind out there. We loved watching them, especially when they both ran with ends of the same toy in their mouths.

Firenze's mom, Pat, said "This is the best day of Firenze's life. It's like he's gone to Disneyland!" Needless to say, we're all looking forward to another play date soon, and - fingers crossed - we may be keeping Firenze for five days if Pat goes on a trip in May. Here's a photo of tuckered-out 7 year-old Raylene, and bright-eyed 2 year-old Firenze waiting for the next round of chasing.

IMG_1352.jpg

What a great picture of two very lucky, and tired dogs.

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'm so glad that you've got this cruise in your future.  It's been a difficult time for both of you and Wexy would want you to keep moving forward. 

We're very lucky to have such joyful memories of times with our Service Dogs on board these magnificent floating hotels! 

We are taking the "kids" this year. Its a thank you to show our appreciation for them taking care of my mom. We wanted to do something special for them. They had just gotten married and gave up their life to do this. They now own moms house and she is actually much happier in the nursing home if you can believe that. It was a very rough year and a half for all of us. Glad things worked out. 

On 3/13/2019 at 7:21 AM, mmarq1992 said:

Thank you very much! Our upcoming cruises are definitely a huge help. And of course Bentley is a huge help as well, when we got the bad news, he broke his under to come comfort me and lick away the tears. While it might not be a task, these dogs always know how to help us in whatever way it may be!

They are truly a blessing in our lives........I've had a CCI dog in my life since 2002 [I initially applied in 2000 and waited 2 years for Brenda], I got Horton in 2011 and can't imagine my life without an SD in it!  👣  🐾

10 minutes ago, rangeley said:

We are taking the "kids" this year. Its a thank you to show our appreciation for them taking care of my mom. We wanted to do something special for them. They had just gotten married and gave up their life to do this. They now own moms house and she is actually much happier in the nursing home if you can believe that. It was a very rough year and a half for all of us. Glad things worked out. 

I'm so glad that you can do this for your children! 

OK, it's official L.A. is blowing into the Pacific Ocean......OMG!  The rains are gone, for now, and it's so windy that every tree that was made loose from the dampness is going to be falling everywhere!!!!!  I can remember complaining last year, at this time, because we had had 90 degree weather forever.  Now, we have no more drought, greenery growing from the cracks in our streets and changes in the weather on a daily basis!!!  I shall NEVER complain again!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I'm going to enjoy the sunshine and breezes!  :classic_cool:

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Cindy,

My mom and dad's biggest fear was that they would have to go in a nursing home.  Dad passed first and was always at home.  Mom lived to be 93 years old.  I took care of her for  6 months, then just couldn't physically do it any more.  I was heart broken to make the decision that she needed to go to the nursing home, but you know what.  She loved it.  She had people around her all the time and was never lonely.  While she did still live alone, I was still working.  I would stop and see her before work and after work.  Do all her grocery shopping and laundry.  But she would tell me how lonely she was. On the weekend, I would bring her to our house, but after being there about a half an hour, she would want to go home.  So nursing homes are not always a bad thing.  

I am glad you guys are getting away on a cruise.  I am sure you all will have a good time.  Sexy Wexy would be a happy, smiling, tail wagging kind of pup for all of you.  Hugs.  ❤️ 

3 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

OK, it's official L.A. is blowing into the Pacific Ocean......OMG!  The rains are gone, for now, and it's so windy that every tree that was made loose from the dampness is going to be falling everywhere!!!!!  I can remember complaining last year, at this time, because we had had 90 degree weather forever.  Now, we have no more drought, greenery growing from the cracks in our streets and changes in the weather on a daily basis!!!  I shall NEVER complain again!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I'm going to enjoy the sunshine and breezes!  :classic_cool:

Crazy weather everywhere. Its scary. 

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Cindy,

My mom and dad's biggest fear was that they would have to go in a nursing home.  Dad passed first and was always at home.  Mom lived to be 93 years old.  I took care of her for  6 months, then just couldn't physically do it any more.  I was heart broken to make the decision that she needed to go to the nursing home, but you know what.  She loved it.  She had people around her all the time and was never lonely.  While she did still live alone, I was still working.  I would stop and see her before work and after work.  Do all her grocery shopping and laundry.  But she would tell me how lonely she was. On the weekend, I would bring her to our house, but after being there about a half an hour, she would want to go home.  So nursing homes are not always a bad thing.  

I am glad you guys are getting away on a cruise.  I am sure you all will have a good time.  Sexy Wexy would be a happy, smiling, tail wagging kind of pup for all of you.  Hugs.  ❤️ 

My mom has dementia. When she started taking off I really had no choice. But shes very happy there. We told her she was there for therapy. She asked a few times when she was getting out. Luckily that has stopped. She is 93 and very stubborn. Her and my DIL fought alot. She didn't like being told what to do. I guess she listens to strangers better. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:39 PM, rangeley said:

My mom has dementia. When she started taking off I really had no choice. But shes very happy there. We told her she was there for therapy. She asked a few times when she was getting out. Luckily that has stopped. She is 93 and very stubborn. Her and my DIL fought alot. She didn't like being told what to do. I guess she listens to strangers better. 

Sounds so familiar.  Just have peace of mind that she is being taken care of.

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Change text

This thread is very helpful.  Thank you  I am taking my guide dog on a Celebrity Edge Cruise April 14.  I do not plan to get off the ship in Mexico but only in Key West.  Is the regular international health certificate enough or do I still need to get it endorsed with that special stamp which requires a trip to Chicago last minute. I tried to look this up but the info is confusing.   

19 hours ago, Alohatoo said:

This thread is very helpful.  Thank you  I am taking my guide dog on a Celebrity Edge Cruise April 14.  I do not plan to get off the ship in Mexico but only in Key West.  Is the regular international health certificate enough or do I still need to get it endorsed with that special stamp which requires a trip to Chicago last minute. I tried to look this up but the info is confusing.   

You will only need the Aphis 7001 Form which can be filled out, signed and received from your Certified Vet.  Just make sure that you don't use abbreviations on the form.  Some Immigration officials will NOT accept accept forms that don't look like they've been filled out entirely and make sure that you present the ORIGINAL document.  On the form your Vet will mention and fill out ALL information about your dog's MicroChip, as well.

Your Vet may or may not charge you for filling out this form.

Have a wonderful cruise.

On 3/17/2019 at 9:23 PM, Alohatoo said:

In addition to the 7001 health certificate you need, there’s a very easy form your USDA-accredited vet can use for Mexico which does NOT need to be endorsed. Mexico provides template bilingual language for the vet to copy and paste on their letterhead, enter a few answers, and sign.

We’ve used this the past couple of cruises, and the Mexican officials who came on board (and inspected my dog) were perfectly happy with this form. Most recently we were on your same itinerary on the Edge In January. 

For details, google APHIS Pet Travel. Select Mexico from the drop down menu. Under Pet cats & dogs, look at “Option B.”

It’s worth getting if you want to walk your dog ashore - there’s grass at Costa Maya if you walk through the tourist village to the taxi pickup. My dog was thrilled. 

We don’t jump through the hoops for Cayman. My vet simply writes “Dog will not disembark on Grand Cayman” on the form 7001. And you will not need endorsement for your itinerary. A big plus!

Edited by Caribbean Chris

Happy weekend everyone.  Talking about the weather is a joke here in L.A.  We had such violent thunder and lightening that Mr. Horton headed for the bedroom and didn't come out until it was done........ridiculous!!!!!!  

I shouldn't complain too much we did have sunshine every other day.......

I wish you all well!