Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

allies_daphne, I think it’s always a good idea to try to obtain the permits. However, I have been to Grand Cayman twice in the past year (on Celebrity Cruises) and chose not obtain their permit due to the lengthy time and costs involved for obtaining the blood titer etc. I had my vet enter in capital letters on the form 7001 “Animal will not disembark in Grand Cayman.” I had no problem.

Getting their permit takes a lot of effort for a few hours’ port call, as you probably already know from the USDA APHIS Pet travel website info. I love Cayman from visiting via flights during my pre-service dog days, but cruise ship arrivals there often are problematic due to seas that become too rough for tendering. (And tendering is the only option, no Cruise Ship Pier.) I just read on Cruise Critic about a recent sailing where the first 400 people were able (barely) to tender in until conditions became so bad, with four foot rises & drops for people trying to step ashore, that tenders ceased operating that day for the rest of the passengers. 

4 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

...I’m just concerned about the area not being private enough for him to retain some dignity & privacy....

Privacy for the dog’s box varies by ship. Sometimes it might be on an open promenade area where walking or jogging passengers actually stop and watch, distract the dog, or even feel free to make comments. About all you can do to discourage that is to keep your back turned and face your dog at the box, avoid eye contact with passers-by, and ignore questions and comments. It’s really annoying when the dog, who has balked at using it, is FINALLY poised to go after three or four fruitless walks to that darn box.

It also might be useful to build a box in your backyard and fill it with mulch or turf, and train the dog to use it. Even if your training efforts do not at first seem to work, they may put an idea into the dog's mind that the box has a purpose, perhaps making the Eureka! moment aboard ship come faster.

One advantage for some dogs in the placement of the box on the promenade deck is that perhaps they perform their toilettes more quickly after a good bit of walking. They feel the urge coming on, and when they spot the square of turf they're much more apt to use it. (I said SOME dogs. They are such individualists.)

Chris is right about people who stop and stare. "It's not a spectator sport," I want to say. But of course I never do.

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

allies_daphne, I think it’s always a good idea to try to obtain the permits. However, I have been to Grand Cayman twice in the past year (on Celebrity Cruises) and chose not obtain their permit due to the lengthy time and costs involved for obtaining the blood titer etc. I had my vet enter in capital letters on the form 7001 “Animal will not disembark in Grand Cayman.” I had no problem.

Getting their permit takes a lot of effort for a few hours’ port call, as you probably already know from the USDA APHIS Pet travel website info. I love Cayman from visiting via flights during my pre-service dog days, but cruise ship arrivals there often are problematic due to seas that become too rough for tendering. (And tendering is the only option, no Cruise Ship Pier.) I just read on Cruise Critic about a recent sailing where the first 400 people were able (barely) to tender in until conditions became so bad, with four foot rises & drops for people trying to step ashore, that tenders ceased operating that day for the rest of the passengers. 

Chris,

Do you know if you can use a single APHIS 7001 form for multiple ports?  I am hearing conflicting information about that - that you must have a form for each port.  Of all the ports we will enter (Mexico, Grand Cayman and Colombia) only Colombia actually requires it, and they allow digital signatures, so you don't have to go to the USDA office to get the signature/seal.  We do not plan to get off in Grand Cayman, for all the reasons you mentioned in your post, and per the Ag Dept in Cayman, if you do not plan on disembarking, it only requires the IHC signed by USDA vet, proof of rabies, and proof of heartworm/flea/tick treatment within 14 days of entering their waters.   Cayman has been on our itinerary before (before our SD) and we couldn't tender due to winds and swells.  We ended up with an extra sea day.   I'm not heartbroken about not getting off there.

I know that each APHIS form from the signed/sealed by the USDA office is $38 (at least here in Florida) if it does not require reviewing any test results.  IF I have to have an individual one for each port, then I'll have to go to the office, since Mexico and GC do not accept digital signatures.

9 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

Chris,

Do you know if you can use a single APHIS 7001 form for multiple ports?  I am hearing conflicting information about that - that you must have a form for each port.  Of all the ports we will enter (Mexico, Grand Cayman and Colombia) only Colombia actually requires it, and they allow digital signatures, so you don't have to go to the USDA office to get the signature/seal.  We do not plan to get off in Grand Cayman, for all the reasons you mentioned in your post, and per the Ag Dept in Cayman, if you do not plan on disembarking, it only requires the IHC signed by USDA vet, proof of rabies, and proof of heartworm/flea/tick treatment within 14 days of entering their waters.   Cayman has been on our itinerary before (before our SD) and we couldn't tender due to winds and swells.  We ended up with an extra sea day.   I'm not heartbroken about not getting off there.

I know that each APHIS form from the signed/sealed by the USDA office is $38 (at least here in Florida) if it does not require reviewing any test results.  IF I have to have an individual one for each port, then I'll have to go to the office, since Mexico and GC do not accept digital signatures.

It’s increasingly the case that different countries have their own health forms you may need along with the basic 7001. But check the Mexico page on the APHIS Pet Travel website for “Option B.” It is the choice for a USDA-accredited vet to use Mexico’s provided template language (in English and Spanish) copied onto the vet’s letterhead with a few details typed in, and signed. It does NOT need to be endorsed by the regional USDA APHIS service center. My vet has prepared this twice, including a few weeks ago, and it has been readily accepted by Mexican authorities.

if you aren’t getting off with the dog in Grand Cayman, in my experience (January 2019], no endorsement of the basic all purpose Form 7001 from your vet was required. We went to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Mexico (2 ports). No endorsement, just the form 7001 and Mexico letterhead document, both signed by my USDA accredited vet. 

You mentioned a fee by the USDA office. Service dog partners who include proof of their dog’s status (copy of ID cards from training organization and IAADP,  for example) can request a fee waiver. I have sent forms (overnight UPS with overnight return envelope) to Gainesville for endorsement with a cover letter and proof and never been required to pay a USDA fee.

I’m glad Colombia now accepts the electronic form from your vet. Let us know if that works out smoothly. 

We received our permit for the Bahamas today! It was a quick and easy process thanks to all of your advice!

Attached with the permit was a form for a veterinarian to fill out upon arrival in the Bahamas. Does someone meet us at the ship to do this or is it something we do not have to do since we are visiting during a cruise?

Thank you all again for your help, only 42 days to wait until our first cruise as a team!

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

It’s increasingly the case that different countries have their own health forms you may need along with the basic 7001. But check the Mexico page on the APHIS Pet Travel website for “Option B.” It is the choice for a USDA-accredited vet to use Mexico’s provided template language (in English and Spanish) copied onto the vet’s letterhead with a few details typed in, and signed. It does NOT need to be endorsed by the regional USDA APHIS service center. My vet has prepared this twice, including a few weeks ago, and it has been readily accepted by Mexican authorities.

if you aren’t getting off with the dog in Grand Cayman, in my experience (January 2019], no endorsement of the basic all purpose Form 7001 from your vet was required. We went to Key West, Grand Cayman, and Mexico (2 ports). No endorsement, just the form 7001 and Mexico letterhead document, both signed by my USDA accredited vet. 

You mentioned a fee by the USDA office. Service dog partners who include proof of their dog’s status (copy of ID cards from training organization and IAADP,  for example) can request a fee waiver. I have sent forms (overnight UPS with overnight return envelope) to Gainesville for endorsement with a cover letter and proof and never been required to pay a USDA fee.

I’m glad Colombia now accepts the electronic form from your vet. Let us know if that works out smoothly. 

Chris,

Thanks for the excellent info - I already have the Option B template for Mexico, and have forwarded to my vet for her to look over it, and be aware it has to be copy/pasted onto office letterhead for final signature when we come for the health clearance visit.  Grand Cayman Dept of Ag stated no import permit needed if not disembarking there, and the cruise line doesn't require us to get an import permit (which they don't).  I have their specific IHC form from the APHIS website.  So it looks like only Colombia requires it.  We will be cutting it close on the 10 day window for Colombia since it falls in the middle of the 14 day cruise, and we are sailing out of San Diego but live in Florida.  We may not have the the final electronic OK from Gainesville before we head to San Diego, but should have it before we board, and it can be accessed electronically by the Colombian officials as well, upon arrival there.

Really helps to have the fee waiver info.  If by chance all of that is sent to Gainesville, but it ISN'T accepted without the fee being paid, would they reach out and allow me to pay over the phone since this would be for Colombia and it can all be accomplished electronically, without having to appear in person?  It's actually my local vet that would submit everything electronically to them I believe, as she told me this previously, but so far on our travels, we haven't been able to do this method yet, as we have only traveled to the Bahamas and secured the import permit ourselves, ahead of time.

Denise

49 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

Chris,

Thanks for the excellent info - I already have the Option B template for Mexico, and have forwarded to my vet for her to look over it, and be aware it has to be copy/pasted onto office letterhead for final signature when we come for the health clearance visit.  Grand Cayman Dept of Ag stated no import permit needed if not disembarking there, and the cruise line doesn't require us to get an import permit (which they don't).  I have their specific IHC form from the APHIS website.  So it looks like only Colombia requires it.  We will be cutting it close on the 10 day window for Colombia since it falls in the middle of the 14 day cruise, and we are sailing out of San Diego but live in Florida.  We may not have the the final electronic OK from Gainesville before we head to San Diego, but should have it before we board, and it can be accessed electronically by the Colombian officials as well, upon arrival there.

Really helps to have the fee waiver info.  If by chance all of that is sent to Gainesville, but it ISN'T accepted without the fee being paid, would they reach out and allow me to pay over the phone since this would be for Colombia and it can all be accomplished electronically, without having to appear in person?  It's actually my local vet that would submit everything electronically to them I believe, as she told me this previously, but so far on our travels, we haven't been able to do this method yet, as we have only traveled to the Bahamas and secured the import permit ourselves, ahead of time.

Denise

I don’t know if they would reach out to you from the service center. Some of the service centers I dealt with in the past just stuck papers into a file folder to look at later if they didn’t know how to deal with something, despite the time-sensitive nature. My advice is to call (or better yet ask your vet to do so) ahead of time and ask who to email with a letter requesting fee waiver and a copy of your service dog’s ID for the Colombia paperwork that will be coming electronically. If there’s a problem, they do allow payment by credit card according to this info

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/pet-travel-info-and-guidance-document/pet-travel-endorsement

15 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

Oh wow! Thank you so much! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much! I’m seriously printing out this post and keeping it with me. 

I’m glad I know now about the immigration visit before our first port and can be prepared for it. 

It all really is overwhelming so far but I so appreciate of all of the support here! I’m not sure if the “second nature” was a clever pun referring to the relief box but well played if so. 👏🏻🤣

Speaking of second nature I’m still unsure about that too. He doesn’t mind the pellets. When I brought the bag home and put the litter out, I told him that I needed him to use this as the potty he has every time now since. I’m just concerned about the area not being private enough for him to retain some dignity & privacy. 

We are never separated. 

We have:

Aphis 7001from the USDA

Health Certificate to Export Dogs & Cats from the United States to Mexico

His service dog I.D. Card, training, Microchip, Heartguard, flea&tic, rabies, vaccine records

most of all his awesome behavior

Thank you so much!

Boaz & Chip

21993A87-EE11-4EE9-AB7D-8602AF6EBA60.jpeg

6F4C810C-39F9-458C-B2B7-FAFD77695158.jpeg

That smile says it all.......What a wonderful boy!

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Disney Cruise Line please?

We have cruised with them before but this year we are taking my father-in-law who is blind and has a guide dog. We are from the UK and will be sailing from Dover to Norway.

I'm getting married onboard so my wedding co-ordinator has been in touch with the special assistance department on my behalf, I recall seeing assistance dogs onboard before and have booked them an accessible stateroom. We will help with exercising on Deck 4 and pottying, does anyone know what type of potty area they offer on Disney? I was thinking of setting up a similar one at home to get him used to it.

My father-in-law also has quite poor mobility so I am particularly worried about how he and his guide dog will handle boarding. Does anyone know how Disney handles things and if there is a step-free boarding option or if we can use a wheelchair to help him? 

Thank you and I hope to share our adventure and travels with you all :)

51 minutes ago, Tinkertaylor said:

Hi,

We have cruised with them before but this year we are taking my father-in-law who is blind and has a guide dog. We are from the UK and will be sailing from Dover to Norway.

I'm getting married onboard so my wedding co-ordinator has been in touch with the special assistance department on my behalf, I recall seeing assistance dogs onboard before and have booked them an accessible stateroom. We will help with exercising on Deck 4 and pottying, does anyone know what type of potty area they offer on Disney? I was thinking of setting up a similar one at home to get him used to it.

My father-in-law also has quite poor mobility so I am particularly worried about how he and his guide dog will handle boarding. Does anyone know how Disney handles things and if there is a step-free boarding option or if we can use a wheelchair to help him? 

Thank you and I hope to share our adventure and travels with you all 🙂

Tinkertaylor,  we have a single experience with DCL and our service dog (my daughter is on the Autism Spectrum), although we have cruised many times with them prior to getting our SD.  We cruised on the Dream last September on a short 4 night cruise  and we had the option of having the potty box on our verandah or on Deck 4 Aft, close to crew service areas and along the jogging track.  We started out with it on verandah, and our pup wanted no part of it there, so we had it moved.  It was tucked under a stairwell, in an area that had some metal rail and a small gate to go inside the actual area.  There was real sod in the box, lined with puppy pads underneath the sod.  The pads were changed out daily.  Ours had no problem urinating there but struggled with pooping.  He is a 'walking pooper' so the edges of the box challenged him, and it took him a long time to go on most days.  We did ALOT of walking on Deck 4....lol.   We brought extra puppy pads that we laid around the outside of the box, so if he 'missed' we could just wrap up the pad and bag it.  We did go through Special Services on Disney, although I did not feel they were great help, but I think it depends on which agent you get, and the accommodations you need.  Our assigned agent was Lee, and we were originally told we could get our Bahamas pet import permit  up to a year in advance.  We obtained it, and took our dog in to get health cleared by the vet about a month in advance, to make sure there were no issues.  Once everything was sent in, we were then told that he needed to be seen again, within 10 days of travel, so we had to have him seen and cleared again (and pay another fee).  During our time on board, we spoke with Chris, who is the other Special Services agent - he was actually traveling on this cruise, and we chatted for awhile.  I much prefer him. but they are assigned ships.  Chris has the Magic and Fantasy and Lee has the Dream and Wonder.

We have just started potty box training ours for our November trip.  Our trainer has recommended either getting a plastic baby pool, or we can use a rabbit pan (which is like a crate tray) or a crate tray from a dog crate.  Our dog is not really big (52 pound) so we are using an XL dog crate tray.  We were told to start with sod, since that is what he is used to going on, and get him comfortable going in the box with sod.  Then, we were told to slowly lower the size of the sod, and add in other things he may be required to go on, such as bark, mulch or pellets.   We will also plan to get a small piece of artificial turf grass, which can roll up, and get him comfy going on that too, at the recommendation of folks on this board.  That way, if he won't go on whatever surface is in the box on the ship, the piece of turf can be placed over the top of whatever is in the box, and he will be used to going on the turf.  

In November of this year we are taking a 14 day Panama Canal cruise with DCL on the Wonder, and I have essentially been told i need to contact all the Departments of Agriculture where we will be porting and get all the information for pet import/travel myself.  I've been told DCL does not have any of their own requirements, they follow whatever the specific port countries guidelines are.  We have alot of time restrictions on the permits for places we are visiting, so it has been intense and stressful.  This message board has been really, really helpful though.  

Some of the other accommodations we have been given on DCL are our own table, closer to a wall, so there is corner for the dog to be isolated in, and more out of the way, and we boarded with the first group, to avoid too much chaos.  This gives an opportunity to go straight to Guest Services to give them copies of all your paperwork and for them to show you were the relief area is.  One of the things i would recommend in regards to taking elevators,  is to use the Aft or Forward elevators, as they are much less crowded than mid-ship elevators.   Not sure where you are embarking from, but if it's Port Canaveral, DCL has it's own terminal there, and you would take the elevators up to the check in area, and that entire floor has a permanent gangway onto the ship, so no need to worry about ramps or anything for that.  However, at some ports, there will be ramp access on and off.

I know there are a few other DCL cruisers with SD's on here, so hopefully they will chime in as well!  Congrats on the wedding, and hope you have a wonderful time!

Denise

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

I know there are a few other DCL cruisers with SD's on here, so hopefully they will chime in as well!  Congrats on the wedding, and hope you have a wonderful time!

Denise

Thank you Denise that's all good information.

We will be embarking in the UK on one of the Magic sailings in August, what we need to do in terms of vets/ vaccinations etc is a whole different story as we don't know if and how regulations may change following Brexit on 29 March!

8 minutes ago, Tinkertaylor said:

Thank you Denise that's all good information.

We will be embarking in the UK on one of the Magic sailings in August, what we need to do in terms of vets/ vaccinations etc is a whole different story as we don't know if and how regulations may change following Brexit on 29 March!

Tinkertaylor, please keep us all posted on those regulations.  Our next bucket list cruise will be a Mediterranean, Fjords or Transatlantic, so we will be interested in those guidelines!  I believe Chris should be the Special Services agent for the Magic, so send an email to them, and he is the one who will get back to you.  He's super helpful, although he obviously won't know about pet permit changes til the end of next month, just like you.  

6 hours ago, Tinkertaylor said:

Hi,

Thank you and I hope to share our adventure and travels with you all 🙂

I have not sailed Disney with my service dog, but from all of the reports on this board, Disney is very accommodating especially with the location of the relief box. It is a great idea to train your dog ahead of time to use a box and to get him/her used to using different surfaces. Most of the time, the cruise lines will supply mulch, but you may be lucky enough to get sod. It really varies by ship and the port of departure.

Most cruise lines are not very helpful in assisting you to obtain the necessary paperwork. We recently sailed from Southampton, and as I am sure you are aware, you will need to comply with the DEFRA requirements. I  e-mailed them with lots of questions and they were very helpful. Your biggest obstacle will be obtaining a tapeworm treatment (which is just a pill) within the required time frame to enter Norway and to re-enter the UK upon your return.

Whether there will be step free boarding will depend on each particular port (but generally there will be ramps, not steps). You should be able to arrange for a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation through Disney's special needs. However, you might want to consider renting a wheelchair for the cruise so that you would have one for the ports too. Also, sometimes it is a long walk to various areas of the ship and he might be safer in a wheelchair if you encounter rough seas. In the US, you can rent wheelchairs through Specials Needs at Sea or Scootaround. I am not sure about the UK, Disney special needs should be able to tell you where you can rent a wheelchair.

Congratulations on your wedding!

Dianne

Hi all!  I’m back from our Caribbean trip and getting back into life!  We spent 12 nights on Celebrity Silhouette.  It was wonderful.  Best part is I missed 3 ice/snow storms at home!  🙂

Scooter stayed home.  You’ll recall I had surgery in December, and he has been mostly off work since then.  He was working at home with retrieval’s, but assisting me in public since I really wasn’t in public much.  So, now to begin working him again.  We have to make sure he is ready for public access again.  Just a little bit of remediation needed.  He has been going to day camp most days, and just being well behaved dog.  The day camp people love him - he is always cheerful and well behaved.

Anyway, we basically did nothing on the cruise.  No excursions.  I was still mostly in the wheelchair and the ankle and knee are still under the weather, so we mostly enjoyed someone else cooking and cleaning.  It meant hubby got a vacation from taking care of me since mid-December.  I spent lots of time with the leg elevated and iced, and starting to carefully walk with a hand rail.  With the recent ankle fracture, ankle and knee surgery, we a e being super careful to just let it fully heal.

Goodness I missed being able to hit the beach!  Ah, well, now to start PT on the leg.  

TTFN!

On 2/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, Algebralovr said:

Hi all!  I’m back from our Caribbean trip and getting back into life!  We spent 12 nights on Celebrity Silhouette.  It was wonderful.  Best part is I missed 3 ice/snow storms at home!  🙂

Scooter stayed home.  You’ll recall I had surgery in December, and he has been mostly off work since then.  He was working at home with retrieval’s, but assisting me in public since I really wasn’t in public much.  So, now to begin working him again.  We have to make sure he is ready for public access again.  Just a little bit of remediation needed.  He has been going to day camp most days, and just being well behaved dog.  The day camp people love him - he is always cheerful and well behaved.

Anyway, we basically did nothing on the cruise.  No excursions.  I was still mostly in the wheelchair and the ankle and knee are still under the weather, so we mostly enjoyed someone else cooking and cleaning.  It meant hubby got a vacation from taking care of me since mid-December.  I spent lots of time with the leg elevated and iced, and starting to carefully walk with a hand rail.  With the recent ankle fracture, ankle and knee surgery, we a e being super careful to just let it fully heal.

Goodness I missed being able to hit the beach!  Ah, well, now to start PT on the leg.  

Welcome home!  Sometimes it's just about doing NOTHING!   

On 2/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, lonelysable said:

Would you know if I need a pet permit to enter Roatan by ship? If so where do I get one?

You will definitely need the Aphis 7001 form filled out by your Vet.  Call your Vet's office, they should be able to assist you.

Have you all seen the news?  A little girl was bitten in the face by an "Emotional Support Dog" in a grocery store.  She will need to have stitches to sew her mouth back together and there's a huge contusion under her eye.

Obviously, a moron who allowed someone to get close to her untrained dog in the public venue.

Episodes like this always set ALL OF US back years and years.  We all know that our properly trained SD's would NEVER, EVER bite, bark or growl at anyone, EVER!!!!!

If anyone out there in "Lurkerville" is reading this and takes their under-trained dogs into the public, ill prepared to face all the difficulties that can come at your dog need to realize what a risk you're taking.  If your dog attacks anyone, you are responsible for whatever happens; you are opening yourself up for a law suit and rightly so, I must say!!!!!

If you're going to take your poorly trained dog out in public........don't allow the public to come near it!!!!!  Please!!!!!  Better yet, keep your dog at home!!!!!

3 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Have you all seen the news?  A little girl was bitten in the face by an "Emotional Support Dog" in a grocery store.  She will need to have stitches to sew her mouth back together and there's a huge contusion under her eye.

Obviously, a moron who allowed someone to get close to her untrained dog in the public venue.

Episodes like this always set ALL OF US back years and years.  We all know that our properly trained SD's would NEVER, EVER bite, bark or growl at anyone, EVER!!!!!

If anyone out there in "Lurkerville" is reading this and takes their under-trained dogs into the public, ill prepared to face all the difficulties that can come at your dog need to realize what a risk you're taking.  If your dog attacks anyone, you are responsible for whatever happens; you are opening yourself up for a law suit and rightly so, I must say!!!!!

If you're going to take your poorly trained dog out in public........don't allow the public to come near it!!!!!  Please!!!!!  Better yet, keep your dog at home!!!!!

As it turns out the dog was a puppy.....a Pit Bull puppy [8 months old.]   Poor breed gets such a bad rap......due, of course to the stupidity of us humans!  And, the family of the girl who was bitten does plan a law suit.

8 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

So so sad! The little girl even asked first if she could pet the dog, which the owner said yes to... ESA's should be required to pass the Canine Good Citizen test. The requirements to pass the test are pretty simple for a dog that would be appropriate to fly!