Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chris, I saw in the HAL section that you are going on the Nieuw Statendam in April? We just booked it for January next year. They had the $1 deposit yesterday and have been dying to go back on a HAL cruise.  I want to hear all about it. We will definitely🤞have another dog by then. 

Cindy

35 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Don't make me cry again Roz. 

Today we got a card from our neighbor. She has a miniature dachshund long hair named Violet. She was one of the only dogs Wexler loved. He was very particular. He'd rather be with people. Anyway, she gave us a card with this awesome pic we had never seen. 

IMG_20190205_122133.jpg

OMG!  How adorable is this!!!!  Quite a couple!  They stay with us forever.  And, we swear "we'll NEVER do it again!  Yeah!  Right!  Then we see a picture like this and it reminds us of all the wonderful reasons that we keep doing it over and over again. 

Thanks, Cindy, for sharing this amazingly cute picture with us.  Smiling with tears in my eyes!

11 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Chris, I saw in the HAL section that you are going on the Nieuw Statendam in April? We just booked it for January next year. They had the $1 deposit yesterday and have been dying to go back on a HAL cruise.  I want to hear all about it. We will definitely🤞have another dog by then. 

Cindy

Go Cindy Go!

On 1/31/2019 at 6:17 AM, MDTrip said:

Re getting big old dogs into SVU: my lab would not climb a ramp. My husband made this for her when she got older: He got an under-bed plastic storage drawer from Walmart. (It had wheels on it which he removed) it is about 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and maybe 9 inches tall. He put solid, rigid  Styrofoam inside the drawer so it would not break or collapse, and would hold the weight of the dog. He covered the top with a thin rug for traction. It might weigh all of 5 pounds so I can keep it in the trunk. We put it at the back door of the suv, and the dog gets on that, then onto the floor of the back seat. That way neither step is more than maybe 12 inches. We also use it when the dog gets out of the car to spare the wear and tear on the shoulders and front legs. 

Lynn, I don't know if I responded to your great idea or not.  When my husband was alive it seemed that obstacles in my life were so much easier with him beside me to help.  Treasure that wonderful man of yours.  I think Horton will get the idea of the ramp after we do it more and more.  

The floor behind the front seats isn't large enough to handle Horton's manuevering to get comfortable.  My SUV was made for more comfort on the seat than on the floor.

Thanks so much for the great idea.

On 2/5/2019 at 5:32 PM, rangeley said:

Cindy

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear you and John are planning on getting another successor dog!

Yes! I'm really excited about going on a new HAL ship, and will give you a full report! This one will be to celebrate our 39th anniversary. I always breathe easier and feel more comfortable knowing I am cruising with the dog on HAL. First of all, they always seem to provide grass sod (I always ask for it on Celebrity and they never provide it), and their box locations mostly are easier to get to, forward on their full promenades (some of the smaller, old ships like Maasdam have the box in an aft covered crew deck area, reached by walking down a long passenger corridor to a wooden door.) When I had an issue with the relief station setup on our last Alaska cruise, they fixed the situation immediately.

Of course, there's the joy of obtaining the Bahamas permit for the April itinerary which includes Half Moon Cay. I mailed the application on November 1 and never heard another word. Just got back from dropping off the paperwork for my vet to fax for me. As much as the paperwork stresses me out, I can't believe that we are planning a Hawaii cruise in 2020!! Thank goodness, as always, for Roz and all the good information.

Chris

Edited by Caribbean Chris

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

First of all, they always seem to provide grass sod (I always ask for it on Celebrity and they never provide it), and their box locations mostly are easier to get to, forward on their full promenades (some of the smaller, old ships like Maasdam have the box in an aft covered crew deck area, reached by walking down a long passenger corridor to a wooden door.) When I had an issue with the relief station setup on our last Alaska cruise, they fixed the situation immediately.

Of course, there's the joy of obtaining the Bahamas permit for the April itinerary which includes Half Moon Cay. I mailed the application on November 1 and never heard another word. Just got back from dropping off the paperwork for my vet to fax for me. As much as the paperwork stresses me out, I can't believe that we are planning a Hawaii cruise in 2020!! Thank goodness, as always, for Roz and all the good information.

Chris

We did finally get sod on our Celebrity Hawaii cruise last May. Of course, they told us prior to the cruise that we would have it (but we have heard that before). The first picture is what they initially provided after Henri refused to go on the kitty litter - three pieces of sod in plastic containers. We finally convinced them to buy some more pieces of sod and we were able to get most of the box covered (second picture). Luckily, we had an overnight in Honolulu so that they had time to go out and purchase more sod.

For the Bahamas, I downloaded a fax program to my iPhone and had the permit back a few days later.

We are also on another Hawaii cruise in 2020; I decided that we should go again before Henri's three-year rabies titer expired since the test is so expensive. 

Dianne

IMG_2726.thumb.JPG.c245c3292eba322f82b003853af6a978.JPGIMG_1177.thumb.JPG.c8682d72b5cfb24116142cf5a856e98a.JPG

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We did finally get sod on our Celebrity Hawaii cruise last May. Of course, they told us prior to the cruise that we would have it (but we have heard that before). The first picture is what they initially provided after Henri refused to go on the kitty litter - three pieces of sod in plastic containers. We finally convinced them to buy some more pieces of sod and we were able to get most of the box covered (second picture). Luckily, we had an overnight in Honolulu so that they had time to go out and purchase more sod.

For the Bahamas, I downloaded a fax program to my iPhone and had the permit back a few days later.

We are also on another Hawaii cruise in 2020; I decided that we should go again before Henri's three-year rabies titer expired since the test is so expensive. 

Dianne

IMG_2726.thumb.JPG.c245c3292eba322f82b003853af6a978.JPGIMG_1177.thumb.JPG.c8682d72b5cfb24116142cf5a856e98a.JPG

What a great looking potty-box.......EVERY CRUISE LINE SHOULD BE SEEING THIS!  I give ***** 5 STARS for a job well done!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

What a great looking potty-box.......EVERY CRUISE LINE SHOULD BE SEEING THIS!  I give ***** 5 STARS for a job well done!

Also, such a good idea to take advantage of the 3 year Rabies Titer Test to enter Hawaii. 

I know for a fact that I will NOT take another cruise to Hawaii.  I, personally, can not do the 10 sea days.  I love while cruising when the ship docks, the folks vacate the ship and there are NO LINES; NO WAITING; NO PEOPLE.  My favorite way to enjoy a floating hotel!   If there are too many sea days I feel like I have to retreat to my cabin for some peace & quiet, especially while cruising with a Service Dog!

Yes, there are some venues that are not open when the ship is docked but I can live with that in exchange for the "ship is mine", less crowded, less frantic feeling!

I know there are some folks who love, love, love sea days.   Do you love sea days? 

I really do love the sea days, Roz, but I understand your enjoyment of the peace when everybody else gets off.

I love watching the ocean go by, especially strolling the big promenades on HAL ships, and a cruise with only one or two sea days just isn’t as much fun. We were on a 21-day transatlantic once where the captain changed course and skipped the Azores due to a storm. The itinerary ended up being 10 straight sea days before a port - heavenly. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:43 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

I’ve been thinking the same thing - May try to use the titer more than once after the Hawaii cruise. My late brother had a house on the beach in Grand Cayman which we haven’t visited since getting my dog. His widow is always trying to get us to go again, and it’s just an hour’s flight for us.

Good work by prevailing with sod instead of kitty litter! We had that once - on a 16-hour overnight ferry to Newfoundland last year - and Raylene refused it, just like  Henri did. Long night.

It’s like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates - you never know what you’re going to get.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

On 2/7/2019 at 4:18 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear you and John are planning on getting another successor dog!

Yes! I'm really excited about going on a new HAL ship, and will give you a full report! This one will be to celebrate our 39th anniversary. I always breathe easier and feel more comfortable knowing I am cruising with the dog on HAL. First of all, they always seem to provide grass sod (I always ask for it on Celebrity and they never provide it), and their box locations mostly are easier to get to, forward on their full promenades (some of the smaller, old ships like Maasdam have the box in an aft covered crew deck area, reached by walking down a long passenger corridor to a wooden door.) When I had an issue with the relief station setup on our last Alaska cruise, they fixed the situation immediately.

Chris

Can't wait to hear about it.

39th Anniversary wow! Thats awesome. We just had out 20th in December. 

Bahamas paperwork is easy if you fax it. We are also going to grand turk never required to much but now want everything. We won't get off there. And Amber cove which I have no idea about. 

Thank god for Roz. She's the reason we cruise with our dog now. 

On 2/7/2019 at 5:43 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Dianne

Thats the potty box I love to see!! I see its on your balcony instead of the infamous wind tunnel on Celebrity. 

3 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Bahamas paperwork is easy if you fax it. We are also going to grand turk never required to much but now want everything. We won't get off there. And Amber cove which I have no idea about. 

The first time we went to Half Moon Cay was beginner’s luck - I mailed the Bahamas application and had it back in a few weeks.

Cindy, now you Dianne, and others have convinced me that faxing to Bahamas is the only way to go. I need to get a fax app  - we don’t have a land line, and formerly faxed/received stuff from a nearby relative’s office until we moved away.

1 minute ago, Caribbean Chris said:

The first time we went to Half Moon Cay was beginner’s luck - I mailed the Bahamas application and had it back in a few weeks.

Cindy, now you Dianne, and others have convinced me that faxing to Bahamas is the only way to go. I need to get a fax app  - we don’t have a land line, and formerly faxed/received stuff from a nearby relative’s office until we moved away.

We still have a land line and finally got a printer/fax machine. Best thing we ever got. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Yes, there are some venues that are not open when the ship is docked but I can live with that in exchange for the "ship is mine", less crowded, less frantic feeling!

I know there are some folks who love, love, love sea days.   Do you love sea days? 

I have to say that I really enjoy sea days. We try to take a transatlantic every year; the mix of ports and sea days are perfect for us. Since we like to get off the ship on port days (especially if we are in Europe), I find that we don't get enough time to relax without sea days.

Dianne

13 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Good work by prevailing with sod instead of kitty litter! We had that once - on a 16-hour overnight ferry to Newfoundland last year - and Raylene refused it, just like  Henri did. Long night.

It’s like Forrest Gump’s box of chocolates - you never know what you’re going to get.

I really thought Henri would use the kitty litter, but she would step in the box and immediately step out. I told guest services that the litter was not going to work for us. She is usually pretty flexible about the relief area, on this same trip the airport in Vancouver had locked up the indoor dog relief area and there was no way we could go back out through security and customs again before our flight. I called on the white courtesy telephone (that reminds me of the movie Airplane) and said that they needed to open the doors and let us into the relief area. They told me that the area was locked off for incoming international flights and ending up bringing a piece of artificial grass on the back of a small flat bed truck. Henri jumped up onto the truck and used the grass no problem (right in the middle of the terminal). We could only laugh about the whole situation.

Dianne

10 hours ago, rangeley said:

Thats the potty box I love to see!! I see its on your balcony instead of the infamous wind tunnel on Celebrity. 

That is the best set up we have had. On our transatlantic cruise in November they would not allow the box on the balcony, but they were tying down balcony furniture due to winds and stormy seas on the crossing so that made sense. They put the box inside in a crew area and that worked out pretty well (much better than the usual outside location).

Dianne

I’m so relieved to find this thread! We’re heading out on our first cruise with our service dog soon and everything I’m reading is so encouraging and helpful. He and I have driven across the USA but haven’t been on a cruise. We’ve been on several types of boats, big & small, including The Maid of the Mist at Niagra Falls with no issues. Just not a cruise.  Does anyone have any experience cruising with a Giant Service Dog? 

73BCAA9B-A3F4-4650-9CEE-7A49764BB0EA.jpeg

2 hours ago, BoazTheMastiff said:

I’m so relieved to find this thread! We’re heading out on our first cruise with our service dog soon and everything I’m reading is so encouraging and helpful. He and I have driven across the USA but haven’t been on a cruise. We’ve been on several types of boats, big & small, including The Maid of the Mist at Niagra Falls with no issues. Just not a cruise.  Does anyone have any experience cruising with a Giant Service Dog? 

73BCAA9B-A3F4-4650-9CEE-7A49764BB0EA.jpeg

How big is your dog? My service dog is 63lbs and has no problems on a cruise. The only issues might be if the relief box is too small for your dog (they can be as small as 3 x 3) and finding an out of the way place in the dining room.

The first cruise is always a little daunting, but you will have a great time!

Dianne

• Thanks 1

Roz is right, the first cruise is daunting, but after you do it, you will realize it is no biggy.  And the advice on here is priceless.  We had road tripped thousands of miles, trains, smaller boats, planes, you name it before a cruise.

Although all the suggestions are great on here, the best was to train your dog to a relief box before going and getting artificial turf to take with.  

Halo is 85 pounds, Lab/Great Dane.  The size was no big deal at all.  And they are the celebrity.  I found 2 groups not impressed with him and on the verge (not fully) of rude.  Both times we where going to enter an elevator and the people already on, said they where getting off if we got on.  I said, very pleasantly and with a smile, "no worries.  You where on first.  We will just wait for the next one".   I actually had some people ask why I was so nice.  I said they had the problem, not me and it isn't worth being upset about it.  My husband, on the other hand, told the people he was mad and they were rude.

I asked for a table by the window/wall up front and just slid Halo in there.  People didn't even know he was there unless they saw us come in or leave.

The most asked question was where does he go to the bathroom.  My husband starting telling people he was toilet trained or if they felt water coming from the deck above it was probably not water:).   Then he would smile and tell them he was litter box trained.

We went on Carnival and they where awesome.  The first night they took us to the back in the dining room.  I am in a wheelchair and it was a huge hassle, but we didn't complain.  The head dining hostess couldn't stop apologizing and asked us to forgive them.  I wasn't even mad.  I am still at the beginning point of my disability and I was embarrassed that people had to move chairs or get out of the way for me.  We where any time dining and after the first night, she always had a table up front and by the window ready for us.  Never a wait and she sent us champagne for the inconvenience.  We gave her a HUGE tip, she went way above and beyond to take care of me and I so appreciated it.

Linda and Halo

• Thanks 1

Hello All!

My service dog and I are going on an Alaskan cruise with Disney in May, for which we are all set. Due to a family friend battling cancer, we just decided to do another cruise even sooner in April. I definitely wasn't prepared for this to pop up so quickly and I'm hoping you wonderful people can answer a couple questions for me!

The cruise will be going to the Bahamas, both Nassau and Castaway Cay. Do I need to submit for 2 permits or will just 1 cover the 2 stops? And what is the fastest way to submit for the permit? Am I able to fax it to them and how do you suggest sending the payment? 

Thanks in advance!

Melissa & Bentley

Fax, do not write. Letters tend to get ignored or lost. The permit will be faxed back to you, so have a fax number ready.

I recommend having your veterinarian do the faxing over the vet's letterhead. That seems to be more "official" to the Bahamians than anything else.

Have your vet attest to the dog's status as a service dog and the Bahamians will waive the fee.

You need only one permit for the Bahamas. I think it's good for six months.

29 minutes ago, HenryKisor said:

Fax, do not write. Letters tend to get ignored or lost. The permit will be faxed back to you, so have a fax number ready.

I recommend having your veterinarian do the faxing over the vet's letterhead. That seems to be more "official" to the Bahamians than anything else.

Have your vet attest to the dog's status as a service dog and the Bahamians will waive the fee.

You need only one permit for the Bahamas. I think it's good for six months.

Thank you! So there won't be any fees at all, not even the fax fee it mentions? How long is the turn around time?

Edited by mmarq1992

Yes, faxing is the way to go to the Bahamas.  If you supply a fax number they usually fax the permit back within days!  I have never been charged for faxing back.   If you don't have a FAX I have found Office Depot will fax at the same rate as to Canada.

The FAX can be busy so keep trying.   1-242-325-3960

Be aware that they want the Coronavirus for vaccinations.    My vet is very picky and saw that and we went through heck getting that vaccine.  

Holly