Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

7 minutes ago, thephantomsgirl said:

Oh...and they NOW want a copy of your dog's "service dog id".   Talked to them several times about how easy it is to get a fake ID and they don't seem to care.  

Thanks for the information! My service dog is owner trained, hopefully that won't be an issue.

An ADI-affiliated program-trained service dog will have papers or ID from the training outfit, and copying these and sending them to the Bahamians will establish the dog's bona fides.This is more difficult for owner trained dogs. You might ask your veterinarian to certify the dog as a service dog. This is another reason for asking the vet to fax all the stuff to the Bahamas.

We've taken the ADI Public Access test with a non-ADI trainer just to have for ourselves. I'm also a member of IAADP and have the card from them. Do you think copies of those would be enough or are they looking for an ID specifically? I'd hate to support the fake-id companies, but I'll go that route if I have to. My service dog and I have worked incredibly hard on both his obedience and task training, and I definitely need him with me.

A letter from the training organization did not work, and they never bothered answering.   The Bahamas has gotten hard to deal with if you don't supply everything.  

So don't rely on a vet faxing things for the permit!  They specifically are looking for an ID.   We went through this in November for a December cruise when they never answered our letter from the training organization outlining all the training.  They said they'd only accept an ID.   Just telling you my experience lately.

Edited by thephantomsgirl

1 minute ago, thephantomsgirl said:

A letter from the training organization did not work, and they never bothered answering.   The Bahamas has gotten hard to deal with if you don't supply everything.  

So don't rely on a vet faxing things for the permit!  They specifically are looking for an ID.   We went through this in November for a December cruise when they never answered our letter from the training organization outlining all the training.  They said they'd only accept an ID.   Just telling you my experience lately.

Thank you for your help, looks like we'll have to go that route to insure everything is processed.

Yes.  It doesn't make sense - but it worked.   

I have talked to them several times, including the Director of Vet Services there  and they still insist on an ID.  They don't seem to care what it looks like....    Ours is from our organization, but I know they make them themselves.  It's only for our personal use as ID's are useless really.  Except in the Bahama's eyes...

1 minute ago, thephantomsgirl said:

Yes.  It doesn't make sense - but it worked.   

I have talked to them several times, including the Director of Vet Services there  and they still insist on an ID.  They don't seem to care what it looks like....    Ours is from our organization, but I know they make them themselves.  It's only for our personal use as ID's are useless really.  Except in the Bahama's eyes...

Good to know, thank you again!

On 2/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, BoazTheMastiff said:

I’m so relieved to find this thread! We’re heading out on our first cruise with our service dog soon and everything I’m reading is so encouraging and helpful. He and I have driven across the USA but haven’t been on a cruise. We’ve been on several types of boats, big & small, including The Maid of the Mist at Niagra Falls with no issues. Just not a cruise.  Does anyone have any experience cruising with a Giant Service Dog? 

From your online name I am wondering if your dog is a BullMastiff.  If so, be aware that for some countries and cruise port islands, for example, Bermuda  (see link below), that breed may be on a prohibited or restricted list. For import purposes to do with shots, official permits, etc., service dogs are generally treated the same as pet dogs. Google "APHIS pet travel" for a drop-down menu of countries you can click to learn their policies.

Bermuda policies:

https://www.gov.bm/online-services/import-dog-or-cat

On 2/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

I really do love the sea days, Roz, but I understand your enjoyment of the peace when everybody else gets off.

I love watching the ocean go by, especially strolling the big promenades on HAL ships, and a cruise with only one or two sea days just isn’t as much fun. We were on a 21-day transatlantic once where the captain changed course and skipped the Azores due to a storm. The itinerary ended up being 10 straight sea days before a port - heavenly. 

I hear this from so many people.  I love cruising but I don't think I'd do very well on 10 straight sea days.  Wow!

On 2/9/2019 at 5:58 AM, rangeley said:

Can't wait to hear about it.

39th Anniversary wow! Thats awesome. We just had out 20th in December. 

Bahamas paperwork is easy if you fax it. We are also going to grand turk never required to much but now want everything. We won't get off there. And Amber cove which I have no idea about. 

Thank god for Roz. She's the reason we cruise with our dog now. 

Happy Anniversary to all!  Treasure all the wonderful moments that share with each other!  

I treasure ALL of you! ❤️

On 2/9/2019 at 4:42 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

I really thought Henri would use the kitty litter, but she would step in the box and immediately step out. I told guest services that the litter was not going to work for us. She is usually pretty flexible about the relief area, on this same trip the airport in Vancouver had locked up the indoor dog relief area and there was no way we could go back out through security and customs again before our flight. I called on the white courtesy telephone (that reminds me of the movie Airplane) and said that they needed to open the doors and let us into the relief area. They told me that the area was locked off for incoming international flights and ending up bringing a piece of artificial grass on the back of a small flat bed truck. Henri jumped up onto the truck and used the grass no problem (right in the middle of the terminal). We could only laugh about the whole situation.

Dianne

OMG!  That's exactly what Horton would do.  I love how tenacious you are.  It's unfortunate that we have to fight this constant battle of where our dog's will go potty. 

I'm going to carry a few doggy "piddle" pads [the kind with the tape on the back of them] in my carry on's.  And, when Horty has to go potty I'll go into the restroom handicap stall, lay down the pad, and give him the command.  I will pick up the pad, drop it into the trash and off I'll go.

If there's no handicap stall I'll just lay it on the floor of the restroom.

As long as the pad doesn't move around under Horton's circles he'll be fine.

54 minutes ago, thephantomsgirl said:

By the way, the Bahamas fax machine is broken.   Someone I know called and they just said, "Try again next week".

This is who I dealt with and she was great.

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM
Veterinary Officer
Veterinary Services Unit
Department of Agriculture

Phone: 1-242-397-7450/1

DEANDRADELANCEY@bahamas.gov.bs

Linda and Halo

4 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

OMG!  That's exactly what Horton would do.  I love how tenacious you are.  It's unfortunate that we have to fight this constant battle of where our dog's will go potty. 

I'm going to carry a few doggy "piddle" pads [the kind with the tape on the back of them] in my carry on's.  And, when Horty has to go potty I'll go into the restroom handicap stall, lay down the pad, and give him the command.  I will pick up the pad, drop it into the trash and off I'll go.

If there's no handicap stall I'll just lay it on the floor of the restroom.

As long as the pad doesn't move around under Horton's circles he'll be fine.

That is what I am going to do with the potty pads.  Also, if I get an inside cabin and just can't get out, I can put one in the shower and he has a place to go.  

We carry them with.  Have used them if he gets sick.  He was getting a little motion sick.  We figured out just a few kibbles helps with the acid and he is fine.

Linda and Halo

4 hours ago, mmarq1992 said:

We've taken the ADI Public Access test with a non-ADI trainer just to have for ourselves. I'm also a member of IAADP and have the card from them. Do you think copies of those would be enough or are they looking for an ID specifically? I'd hate to support the fake-id companies, but I'll go that route if I have to. My service dog and I have worked incredibly hard on both his obedience and task training, and I definitely need with me.

Please, do not purchase "fake" paperwork from any company online. 

I suggest a letter from your Vet with an attached picture of you & your dog.  The Vet letter should state what Service the dog provides, with the Vet attesting to the dog's good behavior in the public setting.  The Vet should state what kind of training that your dog has received and that the dog is in good health on flea & tick abatement on a monthly basis.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

On 2/9/2019 at 4:31 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

I have to say that I really enjoy sea days. We try to take a transatlantic every year; the mix of ports and sea days are perfect for us. Since we like to get off the ship on port days (especially if we are in Europe), I find that we don't get enough time to relax without sea days.

Dianne

Makes such good sense.  My relaxation quotient never is enough!

10 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

That is what I am going to do with the potty pads.  Also, if I get an inside cabin and just can't get out, I can put one in the shower and he has a place to go.  

We carry them with.  Have used them if he gets sick.  He was getting a little motion sick.  We figured out just a few kibbles helps with the acid and he is fine.

Linda and Halo

I have to tell you that in the Princess "pre-cruise" Service Dog paperwork, it specifically states that they don't allow the pads........my answer to them, too bad!  As long as we remain dutiful in removing these pads and disposing of them, we should be able to use them as we need to.  I understand that they don't want these pads being the responsibility of the cruise line to clean up after.

Please, anyone who does use them........Remove them, dispose of them and make sure that you're using enough to hold your dogs urine without it running over leaving any kind of residue where you lay it!

I use large, thick pads with strong tape on each corner.  I also do NOT depend on these pads unless it's an emergency situation, where we're stuck in a waiting area for a very long time.  I ALWAYS take Horton potty before we enter any airline, cruise ship or public waiting area situation!