Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

15 hours ago, rangeley said:

Sorry I havent been around this past year. Alot going on and none of it good.  

I'm here to announce our sweet boy passed away today. Of course we are devastated. But will make it through it again. All of you have always been a great support to me through the years. ❤️ Today my heart is broken 💔🐾

IMG_20181218_114128.jpg

I wanted to make sure that Brenda's avatar was near Wexy's picture.  We will miss you dear boy and will miss the wonderful pictures that your Mom and Dad shared with us during your many cruises.

We will always love you and remember your sweet and wonderful ways.

Good-bye, sweet dreams and peaceful rest dear Wexy.

Much Love For Always & Forever,

Roz & Horton

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:45 AM, MelanieDyer said:

The big one, Marla, refuses to get in the car.  Last time she went to the Vet the Vet had to come out & help my husband lift her in the car.  She's over 100pds

Yep!  Marla, I've got a boyfriend for you. 

Horton has NEVER been left at home and I'm NOT going to start now.  I'm going to figure this out and he's going with me, after all that's what Handicapped spaces are for, right?

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 4:17 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

For my friends with black Labs: I was exchanging emails with one of the trainers at Dogs for Better Lives yesterday, and sent a photo and comment about Raylene’s white muzzle.

Emily said she’s heard that referred to as “sugar-face.” Loved it!

I love this too.......Cindy's dog Wexler had a wonderful "sugar-face!"  Horton doesn't have a good one yet.  I hope he lives a very long life and has the best sugar-face of all!

Oh, Cindy, it's so sad to know that Wexler has crossed the rainbow bridge at last. It's hard to believe, even though you had shared with us some of his senior citizen tribulations in the past year or two. From the time I found and began following this thread after applying for a service dog, Wexy has been a wonderful constant. I've enjoyed so much seeing your photos of him, hearing how your cruises worked out, and learning from the tips you passed on. We will all miss Wexler.

Chris

Oh Cindy I am heartbroken for you.  As has been said Wexler has always been here, latterly with his dear sugar face.  we enjoyed the tales of him going to work with John.  It broke my heart just looking at his photo this morning.  Sadly we lost our "Mr Frosty" (as our post lady called our dear boy Max) our dear dear chocolate lab just before Christmas.  I am still expecting his enquiring face to appear around the kitchen door when he hears the fridge door opening, always hopeful that some treat, regardless of how small, would happen to fall into his big smiling mouth!  These beautiful creatures come into our lives and our hearts and we have the best of times with them and then "pow" they are suddenly gone. 

Like you I haven't been around much - we've not had the best of years.  Anyway, just wanted to say we know how you are feeling and sending you lots of love and big hugs from across the big pond. I hope maybe Mr Max will be waiting for Mr Wexler across the rainbow bridge.  I like to think that Mr Max has already found Madame Brenda and she will be keeping these boys right on their next adventure.

Edited by fairbourne

On 2/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, rangeley said:

I'm here to announce our sweet boy passed away today. Of course we are devastated. But will make it through it again. All of you have always been a great support to me through the years. ❤️ Today my heart is broken 💔🐾

IMG_20181218_114128.jpg

RIP Wexler. 💔😪💔

18 hours ago, fairbourne said:

Like you I haven't been around much - we've not had the best of years.  Anyway, just wanted to say we know how you are feeling and sending you lots of love and big hugs from across the big pond. I hope maybe Mr Max will be waiting for Mr Wexler across the rainbow bridge.  I like to think that Mr Max has already found Madame Brenda and she will be keeping these boys right on their next adventure.

Fairbourne so good to hear from you, but so sad to hear about your dear Max. He will always have a place in your heart.

Dianne & Henri

On 2/1/2019 at 5:18 PM, Rozmorey1 said:

Nancy, thank you for your great idea.  I'm willing to try anything!  

I'll let you know how it all works out.  

Today I used cheese [for coaxing and the ramp, that stays in the back of my SUV.]  He needed a lot of prompting but finally climbed the ramp and laid on the back seat.  I only did it once.  I'll give him a chance to rest and will try it again tomorrow!  Fingers crossed.....It's important to me to "go" when I want to go.  Horton seems to be in good health, it's just a "refusal" issue.  We'll see!

Hopefully, the new step will do the trick. 

Dianne

On 2/2/2019 at 4:02 PM, fairbourne said:

Sadly we lost our "Mr Frosty" (as our post lady called our dear boy Max) our dear dear chocolate lab just before Christmas.  

<snip>

I hope maybe Mr Max will be waiting for Mr Wexler across the rainbow bridge.  I like to think that Mr Max has already found Madame Brenda and she will be keeping these boys right on their next adventure.

So sorry to hear about Max. I know all our furbabies are playing together at the Rainbow Bridge and we will be reunited with them someday. 🐾🐾

Here he is; cuddled up waiting for Dad with his baby girl Bonnie; with two of his girls Aruba and Bonnie; on his favourite beach last summer - he just loved to run into the water, I think it soothed his poorly joints; looking sad as nothing had fallen out of the fridge yet!  

Thank you all for your kindness. 

IMG_2708.jpeg

20170707_161100.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

IMG_20180924_200048_BURST001_COVER.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairbourne said:

Here he is; cuddled up waiting for Dad with his baby girl Bonnie; with two of his girls Aruba and Bonnie; on his favourite beach last summer - he just loved to run into the water, I think it soothed his poorly joints; looking sad as nothing had fallen out of the fridge yet!  

IMG_2708.jpeg

20170707_161100.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

They are all beautiful! Did you keep Aruba too? 

3 hours ago, fairbourne said:

What a handsome boy he was. I am sure you miss him terribly.

Dianne

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:56 AM, rangeley said:

sexIMG_20181218_114128.jpg

Oh no.  Bless your sweet <3, Our Sexy Wexy.  :'(.  Fly with the Angels, love bug. 

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Correct spelling

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, fairbourne said:

Oh Cindy I am heartbroken for you.  As has been said Wexler has always been here, latterly with his dear sugar face.  we enjoyed the tales of him going to work with John.  It broke my heart just looking at his photo this morning.  Sadly we lost our "Mr Frosty" (as our post lady called our dear boy Max) our dear dear chocolate lab just before Christmas.  I am still expecting his enquiring face to appear around the kitchen door when he hears the fridge door opening, always hopeful that some treat, regardless of how small, would happen to fall into his big smiling mouth!  These beautiful creatures come into our lives and our hearts and we have the best of times with them and then "pow" they are suddenly gone. 

Another "Oh no."  I hope you are flying high with the Angels and Brenda and Wexler and our sweet boy Reno.  Hugs and prayers. ❤️ 

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:48 AM, rangeley said:

Roz, Tell me about your Nov. cruise.�

California Coastal - Back to Back

Port:  San Pedro

Royal Princess - Riviera Deck

Saturday, November 9 - 16 - San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Ensenada Mex.

Saturday, November 16 - 23 - Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

Are you thinking about coming onboard.......I'd love to cruise with you!

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, fairbourne said:

Oh!  No!  Fairbourne, you have been on my mind so much.  I've missed your welcomed words.

I'm so sorry to hear that your year has not been a good one and then to lose your wonderful boy, "Max".  He was such a great furbaby.  He allowed you to bring home those two characters Aruba and Bonnie only to have them become part of his pack! 

Goodbye sweet chocolate Max, thank you for taking such good care of the Fairbourne family.  We ALL loved seeing your pictures and hearing your lovely stories.

I'm so sorry that you're going through this along with Cindy & John and the loss of their amazing Wexy.

My heart hurts and my eyes are filled with tears for the passing of Max.  Brenda has the company of two fine gentlemen now. 

31 minutes ago, Rozmorey1 said:

California Coastal - Back to Back

Port:  San Pedro

Royal Princess - Riviera Deck

Saturday, November 9 - 16 - San Francisco, Monterey, San Diego, Ensenada Mex.

Saturday, November 16 - 23 - Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta

Are you thinking about coming onboard.......I'd love to cruise with you!

I seem to have responded on the other Avatar.......Cindy, you know it's me, right?

Edited by wizard-of-roz

7 hours ago, fairbourne said:

IMG_2708.jpeg

20170707_161100.jpeg

IMG_7887.jpeg

I love the pictures of your furbabies.  How lucky they are to have you to be their Mom!  Thank you for being such an amazing person in their lives......Max, you had a great life.....lucky boy :classic_smile: Give my Brenny a big kiss from her Mom!

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, DUTRAVEL said:

Hopefully, the new step will do the trick. 

Dianne

Dianne, I have not received the new step that I ordered.  I'm expecting it today.  So, yesterday I tried using Brenda's old ramp on the back of the car.  The very back of my SUV is huge.  It has a very large opening and large storage area.  I keep the ramp there on top of Brenny's dog bed.  I've kept the bed and ramp in the back of the car for many years and even when I got a new SUV I just transferred it from one car to another.

I took the ramp out and invited Horton to enter the car from the back and lay on the bed.  It took a few tries but he finally [with coaxing] went up the ramp and sat on the bed, investigating the area.  I closed the door put the ramp on the back seat and we went off to the post office.  He laid down, got comfy and although it was a short adventure he seemed to find a comfort zone.  At stop signs he would stand, re-adjust himself and lay down again. 

I went home, opened the door, gave him lots of loving and put the ramp back for him to come out.  Again, he was reluctant but I insisted that he use the ramp to come out instead of taking a leap off the back. 

It's a process......I'll be patient.  If he has to travel in the back of my car instead of the back seat....so be it.  I'll have to redesign where my groceries will go and where I put my luggage, when traveling, but it's all doable as long as I can keep Horton traveling with me.

When the step stool comes we'll see if that changes any of the above!

These dogs are so resilient and so willing to try new things.  It's just a matter of us using our calm, "I know what I'm doing" friendly, rewarding voices and commands.

Don't make me cry again Roz. 

Today we got a card from our neighbor. She has a miniature dachshund long hair named Violet. She was one of the only dogs Wexler loved. He was very particular. He'd rather be with people. Anyway, she gave us a card with this awesome pic we had never seen. 

IMG_20190205_122133.jpg