Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I appreciate these suggestions and have printed out the forms and instructions to take to my vet. 

You all are such experts.  Thanks a bunch.  My guide dog Regina will love this cruise.

This thread is very helpful.  Thank you  I am taking my guide dog on a Celebrity Edge Cruise April 14.  I do not plan to get off the ship in Mexico but only in Key West.  Is the regular international health certificate enough or do I still need to get it endorsed with that special stamp which requires a trip to Chicago last minute. I tried to look this up but the info is confusing.   

8 hours ago, HHFamily said:

Is it necessary to do a vet visit within 48 hours of getting on the ship for a Bahamas cruise?  That is the one bit of the paperwork I am not entirely sure I understand.  Thanks so much!

Yes, you need to see the vet a couple of days before departure. When you receive the Bahamas permit, you also receive the blank “IMP1[B) Form.” It says: “This form is to be completed by the examining Veterinarian within 48 hours prior to arrival in The Bahamas and can be extended upon request for those entering by sea due to changes in the weather.”

On the permit itself, it says “Permit is granted subject to the following conditions:” and the last condition on the list is: “Form IMP1(B), completed by  a licensed veterinarian in the country of export is presented.”

(I happen to have the current forms in front of me because we’ll be in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, two weeks from tomorrow. Getting the permit was too long and frustrating a process to describe. My advice is to make sure your vet’s office fax machine can print legal length documents!) 

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Yes, you need to see the vet a couple of days before departure. When you receive the Bahamas permit, you also receive the blank “IMP1[B) Form.” It says: “This form is to be completed by the examining Veterinarian within 48 hours prior to arrival in The Bahamas and can be extended upon request for those entering by sea due to changes in the weather.”

On the permit itself, it says “Permit is granted subject to the following conditions:” and the last condition on the list is: “Form IMP1(B), completed by  a licensed veterinarian in the country of export is presented.”

(I happen to have the current forms in front of me because we’ll be in Half Moon Cay, Bahamas, two weeks from tomorrow. Getting the permit was too long and frustrating a process to describe. My advice is to make sure your vet’s office fax machine can print legal length documents!) 

Thank you so much for this information.  For me, this means I must cruise without my Service Dog.  We have to leave home on Saturday (when our vet is closed), to drive to the port to board the ship Monday. 😞

17 minutes ago, HHFamily said:

Thank you so much for this information.  For me, this means I must cruise without my Service Dog.  We have to leave home on Saturday (when our vet is closed), to drive to the port to board the ship Monday. 😞

If I were in that scenario, I would make the vet appointment on Friday, as the last day of business before departure. Ask your vet about it. Maybe they could make a notation on the form that their office is closed Saturday and Sunday.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

If I were in that scenario, I would make the vet appointment on Friday, as the last day of business before departure. Ask your vet about it. Maybe they could make a notation on the form that their office is closed Saturday and Sunday.

I thought about doing exactly that, but I am terrified that if I do that and Royal Caribbean isn't satisfied with that on boarding day, I will be denied boarding.

I can only speak to our experience, which was on Disney Cruise Line, but we got the Bahamas permit about 2 months in advance (it’s good for a year).  We were told by Special Services at DCL to have the vet see the dog and sign the permit 7-10 days prior to travel and fax to them (DCL).  We then presented everything at the port at check in, and again at Guest Services as soon as we boarded.  We ported in Nassau and Castaway Cay, and had no issues.  

I know now there are many other Caribbean ports that are much more strict (like Grand Cayman).  

3 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

I can only speak to our experience, which was on Disney Cruise Line, but we got the Bahamas permit about 2 months in advance (it’s good for a year).  We were told by Special Services at DCL to have the vet see the dog and sign the permit 7-10 days prior to travel and fax to them (DCL).  We then presented everything at the port at check in, and again at Guest Services as soon as we boarded.  We ported in Nassau and Castaway Cay, and had no issues.  

I know now there are many other Caribbean ports that are much more strict (like Grand Cayman).  

Thanks so much for your reply!  How long ago was this?  If I am not mistaken this form that is supposed to be done within 48 hours is relatively new?  I am not completely sure, still trying to figure out how to navigate all of this.  Royal Caribbean is not much help, they just refer me to the Department of Ag. 

Might you be able to get a referral to a vet who will be open on Saturday?  We found a vet practice that was open seven days a week when the requirements and our plans didn’t mesh.  Having made seven trips from North America to the UK, their 48 hour requirement was always a problem for us.  

In the long run, having a vet practice that’s open every day saved a few trips to the emergency clinic!  

I’d hate it if you weren’t able to travel with your service dog.

4 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

Might you be able to get a referral to a vet who will be open on Saturday?  We found a vet practice that was open seven days a week when the requirements and our plans didn’t mesh.  Having made seven trips from North America to the UK, their 48 hour requirement was always a problem for us.  

In the long run, having a vet practice that’s open every day saved a few trips to the emergency clinic!  

I’d hate it if you weren’t able to travel with your service dog.

That is a great idea! My husband and I were just discussing the fact that it looks like this form can be signed by ANY licensed vet and not necessarily the vet that took care of the vaccines etc., and the fact that Banfield (in Petsmart) is open 7 days a week.  I am trying really hard not to panic or give up hope of bringing her, but this is all SO intimidating and the thought of being turned away at the pier is absolutely terrifying.

1 hour ago, HHFamily said:

Thanks so much for your reply!  How long ago was this?  If I am not mistaken this form that is supposed to be done within 48 hours is relatively new?  I am not completely sure, still trying to figure out how to navigate all of this.  Royal Caribbean is not much help, they just refer me to the Department of Ag. 

Im sailing with Disney in two weeks and they also told me that it could be done a week or so before

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HHFamily said:

That is a great idea! My husband and I were just discussing the fact that it looks like this form can be signed by ANY licensed vet and not necessarily the vet that took care of the vaccines etc., and the fact that Banfield (in Petsmart) is open 7 days a week.  I am trying really hard not to panic or give up hope of bringing her, but this is all SO intimidating and the thought of being turned away at the pier is absolutely terrifying.

I hear you!  Given the circumstances, your vet should be willing to share the vaccination info with another vet.  In any case, you should always carry a copy of the most recent rabies vet certificate with you.  I've made copies and have one in Nico's vest and in each of our cars.

Good luck!

• Like 1

HHFamily, I absolutely understand your frustration and fears at being turned away at the dock because of lack of information for your dog.  I felt the very same way when we first cruised with my dog Brenda in 2005.  My hands were shaking.......I had more paperwork on her than on me.  It was the Celebrity Summit and once we were cleared for boarding, and were actually onboard, I shed a tear.

However, there is no cruise line that wants to separate you from your dog or turn you away if you have essential paperwork in order.

What is essential paperwork?

• A completed Aphis Form 7001 filled out by your Vet.  This form will have all your dogs updated immunizations, microchip info and ALL misc. information about your Service Dog.
  • Special forms [from various ports, usually foreign, in the Caribbean or UK] signed by a licensed Vet [can be obtained from an emergency Vet open 7 days a week.]  This Vet doesn't need to know your dog, just needs to see him and the signed Aphis form from your dogs Vet.  We saw an Emergency Vet without an appointment and upon explaining what we needed from him, he was very helpful and took the time to sign all that was needed for a very minimal fee.
  • On a cruise through Europe my Vet had gotten ill and we were directed to the 24 hour Vet down the street from my Vets office.  I, too, was very nervous about this and didn't know if the cruise and airline would be accepting of this new paperwork.  I, too, worried about being turned away and refused entry.   NEVER HAPPENED.  The ship and the airlines were very pleased with ALL the completed paperwork and were very impressed at Brenda's good behavior and the trip was wonderful.  
  • I wish the potty box set-up on board was as easy!!!!!! 

The above can be done with just a few days planning.  Make sure that you make several copies of the signed forms and keep them in a special envelope that will accompany your dog upon arrival to the dock and at various ports.  

Please take your dog with you.  Be strong and brave and have no fear of being turned away. 

Have a wonderful cruise and do come back and tell us all about it ❤️

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HHFamily said:

This was Sept 2018.  Special Services with Disney wanted this 7-10 days prior to sailing.  I pulled our documents and it also states 48 hours, but we had no issue, and we were not even asked for any paperwork disembarking in Nassau or Castaway.  We saw the vet on 9/11 and sailed on 9/16.   Remember that this is also a permit for people moving there with their pets, and also for those that sail/boat on a personal watercraft into the Bahamas, so many are traveling for more than 48 hours to arrive at there.

E3261450-3B33-4CB6-AC5A-3ADBC25DD56D.jpeg

924BB7B2-E8BE-415B-807D-63B855D4FB3A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

HHFamily, I absolutely understand your frustration and fears at being turned away at the dock because of lack of information for your dog.  I felt the very same way when we first cruised with my dog Brenda in 2005.  My hands were shaking.......I had more paperwork on her than on me.  It was the Celebrity Summit and once we were cleared for boarding, and were actually onboard, I shed a tear.

However, there is no cruise line that wants to separate you from your dog or turn you away if you have essential paperwork in order.

What is essential paperwork?

• A completed Aphis Form 7001 filled out by your Vet.  This form will have all your dogs updated immunizations, microchip info and ALL misc. information about your Service Dog.
  • Special forms [from various ports, usually foreign, in the Caribbean or UK] signed by a licensed Vet [can be obtained from an emergency Vet open 7 days a week.]  This Vet doesn't need to know your dog, just needs to see him and the signed Aphis form from your dogs Vet.  We saw an Emergency Vet without an appointment and upon explaining what we needed from him, he was very helpful and took the time to sign all that was needed for a very minimal fee.
  • On a cruise through Europe my Vet had gotten ill and we were directed to the 24 hour Vet down the street from my Vets office.  I, too, was very nervous about this and didn't know if the cruise and airline would be accepting of this new paperwork.  I, too, worried about being turned away and refused entry.   NEVER HAPPENED.  The ship and the airlines were very pleased with ALL the completed paperwork and were very impressed at Brenda's good behavior and the trip was wonderful.  
  • I wish the potty box set-up on board was as easy!!!!!! 

The above can be done with just a few days planning.  Make sure that you make several copies of the signed forms and keep them in a special envelope that will accompany your dog upon arrival to the dock and at various ports.  

Please take your dog with you.  Be strong and brave and have no fear of being turned away. 

Have a wonderful cruise and do come back and tell us all about it ❤️

Thank you SO much for this!  I have read enough of your posts over the years to know you have TONS of experience traveling with Service Dogs, so hearing this from you eases my mind more than you can know! ❤️

45 minutes ago, allies_daphne said:

This was Sept 2018.  Special Services with Disney wanted this 7-10 days prior to sailing.  I pulled our documents and it also states 48 hours, but we had no issue, and we were not even asked for any paperwork disembarking in Nassau or Castaway.  We saw the vet on 9/11 and sailed on 9/16.   Remember that this is also a permit for people moving there with their pets, and also for those that sail/boat on a personal watercraft into the Bahamas, so many are traveling for more than 48 hours to arrive at there.

E3261450-3B33-4CB6-AC5A-3ADBC25DD56D.jpeg

924BB7B2-E8BE-415B-807D-63B855D4FB3A.jpeg

Thank you SOOO much.  You guys are making me feel so much better about this!

On 3/24/2019 at 12:18 AM, HHFamily said:

Is it necessary to do a vet visit within 48 hours of getting on the ship for a Bahamas cruise?  That is the one bit of the paperwork I am not entirely sure I understand.  Thanks so much!

Hello I just got back from Bahamas and you need a permit to enter for service dogs its free. Best person to contact will be

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM her email address is DEANDRADELANCEY@BAHAMAS.GOV.BS

1-Blank - AGRI_AGR VS 1A FORM.pdf 1-Blank - Application+to+Import+Domestic+Animals+(1) (1).pdf

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 12:18 AM, HHFamily said:

For Bahamas You can also call 242-397-7450/1 for an update on the status of your permit 

The proper protocol is to use facsimile using the number 1-242-325-3960 to be received by the permit section. 48 hours is from the time you leave home when sailing they make an exception 

Edited by lonelysable
missed info
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, HHFamily said:

I thought about doing exactly that, but I am terrified that if I do that and Royal Caribbean isn't satisfied with that on boarding day, I will be denied boarding.

As long as you have the proper paperwork for the service dog you can get on the ship For the island Royal really does not care if anything they will deny the dog of getting off the ship at that port. Just make sure its on your invoice that you will be bring your service dog. I know they have changed alot because people were bringing emotional support dogs and that is no longer allowed your service dog has to do a task.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I hear you!  Given the circumstances, your vet should be willing to share the vaccination info with another vet.  In any case, you should always carry a copy of the most recent rabies vet certificate with you.  I've made copies and have one in Nico's vest and in each of our cars.

Good luck!

Going to Bahamas is not that hard once you have all the info and paper work. I am from Canada and I left Canada Jan.29 to go to Florida my vet signed the papers Jan.23 and arrived in Bahamas Feb.11th. There was no problem getting off the ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonelysable said:

For Bahamas You can also call 242-397-7450/1 for an update on the status of your permit 

The proper protocol is to use facsimile using the number 1-242-325-3960 to be received by the permit section. 48 hours is from the time you leave home when sailing they make an exception 

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, lonelysable said:

Hello I just got back from Bahamas and you need a permit to enter for service dogs its free. Best person to contact will be

Dr. Deandra S. Delancey-Milfort BSc. DVM her email address is DEANDRADELANCEY@BAHAMAS.GOV.BS

1-Blank - AGRI_AGR VS 1A FORM.pdf 35.12 kB · 0 downloads 1-Blank - Application+to+Import+Domestic+Animals+(1) (1).pdf 94.06 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you!

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Chris,  I know you're in the midst of getting ready for your cruise [I love the anticipation part].  I want to wish you a hearty Bon~Voyage.  Have a safe and happy cruise experience and please come back and tell us all about it.  ❤️

Thanks Roz!❤️

Not long until we cruise, so I really should start thinking about what to pack. We’re sailing on the Nieuw Statendam, Holland America’s new ship. I’ll give a report on how it goes, but HAL has always been easy to work with in my experience. Really looking forward to it.

13 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks Roz!❤️

Not long until we cruise, so I really should start thinking about what to pack. We’re sailing on the Nieuw Statendam, Holland America’s new ship. I’ll give a report on how it goes, but HAL has always been easy to work with in my experience. Really looking forward to it.

Chris, We just booked a cruise on her for January. Can't wait to hear all about it. 

Cindy