Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

4 hours ago, MelanieDyer said:

I remember after Maria the cruise ships were delivering supplies each week.  Carnival even had one of their ships set up for FEMA to use for about a month

Yes, and I remember that Royal Caribbean provided a Mercy Evacuation Ship for anyone who wanted to leave the U.S. Virgin islands for Miami. One of my St. Croix friends took it since it was the only way out, to get up to the states in time to make an international flight for a business trip. He emailed photos of all the numerous pet dogs that were on board!

Another ex-St. Croix friend and I were talking at lunch about whether that’s going to happen for Bahamians, as non-US Citizens. I sure hope the legalities can be worked out. The devastation appears so profound on some of the islands, surely evacuation of the population is necessary, and there may not be space and resources on the other islands for thousands of people to be sheltered long term.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:04 PM, rangeley said:

We have a family member that is allergic to everything. She around 4yrs old. Last time we saw her, she hung around in the house with Oakland. She stayed away from him, didn't touch him and she was fine. I was surprised they showed up since they knew we'd be there. 

I am also afraid to fly. Always hated it. I have no idea what posessed me to fly out to California. I'm already in panic mode, but Roz is just so loveable I had to go. 

Yeh!  That's why she's coming to California because I'm lovable! 

I promise Cindy, I give you permission to tell me to "shut-up", "sit-down", "be quiet".........whenever you deem it's necessary to do so! :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Linda & Halo, I feel for you with the dilemma of relatives + service dogs. My sister-in-law really did not want my dog in the beach house she and my brother owned (for a traditional family gathering at that beach dating back 40+ years) but grudgingly allowed me to have the dog come inside at times. 

She considered her beach house to be “no dogs allowed” for rentals, and did not want any dog, period, in complete denial about the fact that such policies would not apply to renters with service dogs. Naturally, I did not argue and tried to go with the flow even though my dog was undoubtedly cleaner than her assorted renters’ kids were. We slept in our RV at a campground and rented a car to go back and forth while my other siblings stayed in oceanfront bedrooms. The gathering gradually fell by the wayside, my brother is gone, and the house is now for sale. It’s frankly a relief to not have to go there any more where my dog is not welcome, but it still pains me when I think about it.

Wow Chris, quite a story.  I, too, have family and friends that do not want Horton in their homes.  I realize it's their homes and they can have or have not anyone they wish, but by the same token, I also may chose to stay away.

I get some grief from certain family members and friends who think I should either leave Horton at home or in my car.  I simply do NOT attend their functions.

I have a huge family and there's always something happening, whether it be for good or bad and I am forced to make the important decision to stay home with my darling Horton or I go.   I NEVER, EVER leave my Horton behind.  If he's not welcome, I'm not!

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We are so lucky in Florida. The SW coast where we live got nothing but early forecasts had it coming directly toward us. That cat. 5 devastation could have hit Miami. Very close.

It is just heartbreaking to see the videos from The Bahamas. Amazing they can open the port of Nassau - maybe some cruise ships can deliver supplies - I read that RCCL is donating $1 million.

I'm so glad you're okay.  It must have been so scary for you.  I'm worried about our CCI offices in Florida.  I know that there are lots of people who take care of the dogs first and then themselves.  I'm sending a special prayer to all of you.

I love the cruise ship companies who are so generous to be willing to assist those in need.

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Yeh!  That's why she's coming to California because I'm lovable! 

I promise Cindy, I give you permission to tell me to "shut-up", "sit-down", "be quiet".........whenever you deem it's necessary to do so! :classic_wink:

Jeez I hope I won't have to Roz,  but nice to know I can. 😁  And the doctor gave me meds if I need to take before the flight. I don't usually take anything but she gave them to me anyway. 

Now my son is mad because he wants to go to Alaska and I always tell him its to far. If I make it to LA I'm going to have to book an Alaskan cruise. 

Edited by rangeley

On 9/4/2019 at 10:00 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

We are so lucky in Florida. The SW coast where we live got nothing but early forecasts had it coming directly toward us. That cat. 5 devastation could have hit Miami. Very close.

It is just heartbreaking to see the videos from The Bahamas. Amazing they can open the port of Nassau - maybe some cruise ships can deliver supplies - I read that RCCL is donating $1 million.

Glad you are ok. Thought it was going to be scary for Florida. Luckily the storm turned. 

12 hours ago, rangeley said:

Jeez I hope I won't have to Roz,  but nice to know I can. 😁  And the doctor gave me meds if I need to take before the flight. I don't usually take anything but she gave them to me anyway. 

Now my son is mad because he wants to go to Alaska and I always tell him its to far. If I make it to LA I'm going to have to book an Alaskan cruise. 

Cruising Alaska is definitely worth the airplane ride!

I am so new to this service dog and disability thing.  As much as I hate that others have similar experiences as I do with some family refusing to accept the service dogs, I do have to say, I am glad to know it isn't just me and my family.  Ugh, guess I will do the same as Roz, if they can't accept Halo, they can't accept me.

Slowly, but surely starting to get things in order here in Florida.  Have to say it is really hot here, but that is what I want.  I just don't spend much time outside with it so hot AND humid.  At least, this hurricane missed us.  The Bahamian people are amazing; still positive and smiling with such amazing losses.  

Linda and Halo

15 hours ago, rangeley said:

Turned on the computer today, which I never use, and look what John has as his home screen. Hmmm look familiar Roz? 

IMG_20190909_113122.jpg

My computer has been "crashing" for weeks, well, this past Thursday it said "I'm done", it's been very difficult without a computer since then.  I finally picked up my new computer today and although it's nice to have everything working quickly, it's been a nightmare setting it all up.  I'm so sick of "passwords" for everything, I'm ready to throw-up!  And, my old computer was more than 10 years old and the new ones have the keys in a more confined space......it's such a learning experience.

I didn't get to wish all of you a good weekend and I missed talking to many other folks around the U.S. to wish them well.

Anyway.....I love this picture.  It's "Horton-Elvis", he actually won a really neat trophy for best costume at the CCI Haute Dog Show.  He was such a good sport.

On 9/6/2019 at 1:50 PM, rpclmc said:

I am so new to this service dog and disability thing.  As much as I hate that others have similar experiences as I do with some family refusing to accept the service dogs, I do have to say, I am glad to know it isn't just me and my family.  Ugh, guess I will do the same as Roz, if they can't accept Halo, they can't accept me.

Slowly, but surely starting to get things in order here in Florida.  Have to say it is really hot here, but that is what I want.  I just don't spend much time outside with it so hot AND humid.  At least, this hurricane missed us.  The Bahamian people are amazing; still positive and smiling with such amazing losses.  

Linda and Halo

Linda, there are some folks in my life who ALWAYS give me the "side-eye" when Horton and I come around, it doesn't feel good and I don't want to be confrontational so I simply hold my head high, make sure that Horton is acting appropriately, stay away from and ignore them.

As Horton has aged he can't stand the hot/humid weather.  He immediately starts to breathe hard and I try to get him into air conditioning ASAP.

I'm glad the hurricane missed you.  It's a long standing known fact that the Bahamian people are a positive, loving and caring lot.  I wish them well and hope that the worst is over for them.

6 hours ago, rangeley said:

I guess we are lucky you made it back at all! 🤣🤣

I swear.....you should have seen me yesterday at Best Buy getting a new computer and trying to understand what the heck the guy was telling me.....as he sat, with ease and without a worry in the world clicking away on my new, expensive friend, whispering under his breath, staring at the computer screen and trying to teach me at the same time, he had the personality of a brick.....as I, anxiously, nervously, wrenching my back to hear and understand every word, all the while making sure that Horton wasn't walking off with some stranger [of which he'd do in a hot second if they tempted him in any way!] 

I had my old computer for over 10 years, it was my friend....I understood it and it me!  

Many, many dollars later I finally walked out, looking like the weary traveler over the sea of electronics, and haggered so much, that getting into the car was like climbing a mountain.  Horty uses a ramp and me negotiating it was so tiring for both of us.  Thank goodness our weather had cooled down to a mere 90 degrees, instead of the usual 105.  When I got home with the new computer in tow, I just collapsed.  Now I was on my own to figure it out........What's the worst that can happen?  Where's the IT Dept. when you really need them?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

14 minutes ago, Rozmorey1 said:

Thank you so much......Now, can you come over here and help me with my IT issues and just sit with me, and let's talk!  :classic_tongue:

If I wasn’t half a world away from you I’d love to, but might spend more time talking to Horton than you.