NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I have 435 points, I still need 65 points to receive a $500 certificate. Is my math correct that I need to charge $1700 to my NCL card now to put toward my 8/09 Dawn cruise????

PLEASE SOMEONE.....HELP!:confused: :confused: :confused:

My math says about $2,150 or so.

So they automatically send certificates in Jan. 2009....does that mean the certificates have to be redeemed by January 2010...does it mean you have to sail by January 2010....or will there be no time limit? That is the big issue and I'd really like to know so I don't use the card anymore if it is pointless.

I love how they make it sound like a great new deal in the letter. They think people are idiots.

Question: If we make our final payment on our NCL card to get the 4%, can we use the $500 certificate that we'll receive in January for onboard charges on our upcoming April cruise? How does that work?

Question: If we make our final payment on our NCL card to get the 4%, can we use the $500 certificate that we'll receive in January for onboard charges on our upcoming April cruise? How does that work?
In the past we could not use the certificates or any part of them for OBC. I doubt that they are going to change the policy now.

Charlie

In the past we could not use the certificates or any part of them for OBC. I doubt that they are going to change the policy now.

Charlie

Crap! Thanks Charlie.

We owe $1200 in Feb. for final payment. So I guess we'll pay $700 to NCL before December and hope to spend enough to make the $500 certificate to pay the balance.

Our letters came today. I found the letter to be insulting. The line "We hope that you are as excited about the expanded reward opportunites...as we are..." implies we are all foolish enough to believe this is good news for us! We can do the math--this is a huge cut in benefits and nothing to be "excited" about. It would have been more honest to say they could no longer support the terms and this is what they can offer going forward.

Crap! Thanks Charlie.

We owe $1200 in Feb. for final payment. So I guess we'll pay $700 to NCL before December and hope to spend enough to make the $500 certificate to pay the balance.

What is your point balance now? $700 is going to get you 28 points.

Charlie

As usual for BOA, I called and talked to Elaine tonight. A different person, a different answer. I like her answer but I wouldn't hold my breath. She read from a statement which says "customers will be issued a compass rewards certificate for the amount of their point balance as of Dec. 31st" I could only hope that's its true. To me that means if you have 798 points they will issue you a certificate for $798 versus the usual $500 increments. No where in the statement did it mention $500 increments. I wonder when they will actually send a letter with the specifics?

[quote name='AWinkler']They're around 170 now. So we'll need to purchase a boat. :P[/QUOTE]Isn't the max 100 points per month? Even with bonus points for NCL purchases I don't think you can make it.

You might want to check out the upgrade possibilities for 200. I've never looked at them because we always went for the 500. Half a loaf is better than none.

Good Luck,

Charlie

[quote name='98Charlie']Isn't the max 100 points per month? Even with bonus points for NCL purchases I don't think you can make it.

You might want to check out the upgrade possibilities for 200. I've never looked at them because we always went for the 500. Half a loaf is better than none.

Good Luck,

Charlie[/QUOTE]
No.. i don't think so.. we made 145 points last month and an additional 25 for the initial transaction fee for a total of 170. But, just in case, we will be looking into a suite.. we're at the highest level for a cabin at this point.

[quote name='rpbcouple']As usual for BOA, I called and talked to Elaine tonight. A different person, a different answer. I like her answer but I wouldn't hold my breath. She read from a statement which says "customers will be issued a compass rewards certificate for the amount of their point balance as of Dec. 31st" I could only hope that's its true. To me that means if you have 798 points they will issue you a certificate for $798 versus the usual $500 increments. No where in the statement did it mention $500 increments. [U][COLOR="Red"][B]I wonder when they will actually send a letter with the specifics?[/B][/COLOR][/U] [/QUOTE]My guess is they won't. They've sent out letters letting us know that the program will be ending and that we will automatically get our certificates. Most of the people that get the letters will probably think, "OK, I'll get some certificates and use them."

It's only in communities like ours where we dissect the information so thoroughly.

We'll get a packet of new information letting us know how they've really upgraded us to the wonderful new card. That'll be it I'm afraid.:o

Charlie

We got our letters today and I will need to read and reread these posts to figure it all out. :)

It looks like it will be a good transition for us as we cruise in February so end of December billing period would be when we request certificates anyway, right? So we won't have to request them?

[quote name='packercruising']We got our letters today and I will need to read and reread these posts to figure it all out. :)

It looks like it will be a good transition for us as we cruise in February so end of December billing period would be when we request certificates anyway, right? So we won't have to request them?[/QUOTE]
The certificates will be mailed out by Jan. 31, '09 automatically, so you'll want to request yours a few weeks before final payment is due.

[quote name='packercruising']We got our letters today and I will need to read and reread these posts to figure it all out. :)

It looks like it will be a good transition for us as we cruise in February so end of December billing period would be when we request certificates anyway, right? So we won't have to request them?[/QUOTE]Any charges that you have prior to your December cut off day will accrue points. Charges from that date through the remainder of the year will get squat.

If you decide to stay with BoA your new card will start collecting points on January 1. (If I understand all of it correctly:rolleyes: )

Charlie

[quote name='AWinkler']The certificates will be mailed out by Jan. 31, '09 automatically, so you'll want to request yours a few weeks before final payment is due.[/quote]

Can we actually trust that this will happen and that everyone will receive the correct amount of certificates? I'm not sure I can trust them.:confused:

I called BoA last night and got a rep who was clueless (imagine that).
She could not tell me anything about how the new program will work but did saywe would receive info in December.

I have heard people occasionally on the boards refer to this program but don't remember any of the specs. Anyone out there know?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]We used to have a L L Bean card through Bank of America. Recently it was also changed to a World Points card. In the meantime, L L Bean contracted with Barclays to offer a new credit card to its customers. Anyone know of other changes with BOA cards?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Our billing period is thru the 4th or 5th of each month. Does that make that December date the last charges that qualify for Compass Reward points?

Within the last couple of weeks we 'requested, got, sent in and had applied to our December cruise' what will be our last 500 point possibility. But we do have a hundred or so remaining that we might possibly be able to build to the 200 mark. But heck, I'm not sure that that is worth the bother. When we booked our last couple of NCL cruises, all the insides were one price, and the ocv's, etc.. No point either time for a 2 category upgrade. (I'm just thinking out loud).

Our billing period is around the 15th so there is really no advantage to using the card between then and the end of the year. Also it looks like we should request certificates soon if our final payment is due in December....

Did I read it right that we need a minimum of 500 points and any points left over do not get transferred to WorldPoints?

[quote name='packercruising']Our billing period is around the 15th so there is really no advantage to using the card between then and the end of the year. Also it looks like we should request certificates soon if our final payment is due in December....

Did I read it right that we need a minimum of 500 points and any points left over do not get transferred to WorldPoints?[/QUOTE]

Don't think anyone knows for sure; it's all speculation IMO.

the way I understand it is....the rewards accumulate untill Dec 31. Then the rules that have always applied will be used to send out the certificates. they will be valid for one year and must be used at or before making final payment for the cruise.Any odd number of points will be lost. for instance 225 just gets a 1 catagory upgrade for 2 people and the odd 25 points is lost. From years past I know 250 points is the most points that can be earned in a single month. That is spending about $8333

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Compass Rewards Points for Stateroom Upgrades§
100 One category upgrade for first person in stateroom.
200 One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom.
300 Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom.
400 Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom.

Compass Rewards Points for Cruise Discounts
500 $500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking.
1000 $1,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
1500 $1,500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
2000 $2,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
2500 $2,500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
3000 $3,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='cod']Our billing period is thru the 4th or 5th of each month. Does that make that December date the last charges that qualify for Compass Reward points?
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='packercruising']Our billing period is around the 15th so there is really no advantage to using the card between then and the end of the year. Also it looks like we should request certificates soon if our final payment is due in December....

Did I read it right that we need a minimum of 500 points and any points left over do not get transferred to WorldPoints?[/QUOTE]

On the points-yes, someone posted that leftover points would be dropped (they got the info by calling)---but I suspect that it's still up in the air as to if that will be the final decision.

As for billing cycles-again it was posted yesterday that someone called BoA and was able to get their billing period moved to the end of the month in order to get better use of the program. It might be worth a phone call if someone is gonna be near a 500 point increment. But as mrbdwarf posts above--it might not matter and they'll automatically give all points earned by the end of the year. It's still a mystery to me (but then I haven't even received my 'letter' yet-so for all I know, everyone here is yanking my chain ;) LOL)

I have a question for Mrbdwarf---have you heard if the certificates will be automatically sent out or will we need to request them?

[quote name='mrbdwarf']the way I understand it is....the rewards accumulate untill Dec 31. Then the rules that have always applied will be used to send out the certificates. they will be valid for one year and must be used at or before making final payment for the cruise.Any odd number of points will be lost. for instance 225 just gets a 1 catagory upgrade for 2 people and the odd 25 points is lost

[COLOR="Blue"]Compass Rewards Points for Stateroom Upgrades§
100 One category upgrade for first person in stateroom.
200 One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom.
300 Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom.
400 Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom.

Compass Rewards Points for Cruise Discounts
500 $500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking.
1000 $1,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
1500 $1,500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
2000 $2,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
2500 $2,500 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking
3000 $3,000 credit applicable toward an NCL cruise booking[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

From what I have read your points stop accruing towards the Compass Rewards program after your December statement date (not December 31). So if your statement date is December 1 then that's your cut off date for the program.