Marriage Certificate Need in Addition to Birth Certificate

Mike A

I just made the final payment for our CTN on the Legend. While on the phone with our travel agent she told us that any married woman who does not have a passport should bring the Original or Certified copy with Raised Seal of her Marriage Certificate along with the Birth Certificate with the Raised Seal.

The reason being the last name on the Drivers License will not match the Birth Certificate. This travel agent (Very Large) has had a number of female passengers denied boarding in the last few weeks because the agent at the port would not accept the fact the names were different between the Drivers License and Birth Certificate.

This is not uncommon. Keep in mind that one has to prove that they are who they say they are. If your birth certificate says Jane Doe and your drivers license says Jane Smith - picture or no picture on DL - this doesn't prove squat. To me, it'd be worth paying $5 for a copy of my marriage license than take a chance at paying a few hundred dollars for a cruise and then be denied boarding.

This could be a problem for someone like me. I am remarried and my marriage certificate has my first married name on it. so between my drivers license ,my birth certificate and my marriage certificate there is 3 different names. This is my 6th cruise and so far I have not had any one question me. Now you have me worried.

i too checked it out but according to t/a even though u birth certificate has a different last name than your license, they will see your birth date on the birth certificate and birth date on your license is a match. i thought about bringing mine anyway as i am sailing this saturday - if u look into the carnival brochure under identification documents and also under their website, u will see they request either a passport OR certified birth certificate with a photo id - it does not stipulate if u photo id is different name from birth certificate and also does not mention if u are married.

Cjar - Be that as it may I'd say you've been lucky. I'd still look into getting all your "important" documents current and getting a passport.

Lefty - Again CCL/TA's aren't involved in the formulatoins of policy.

Since my last name is now hyphenated due to being married twice and keeping each child's last name - I was told to bring my birth certificate, my marriage certificate (1st) one, my divorce papers, then my new marriage certificate. I have been divorced so long, I had to write to the court house and order a new marriage certificate from the first (who would keep that after the divorce). After this cruise I am getting a passport so I don't have to bring my life history with me anymore.

My reason for posting was an FYI. I never saw this posted anywhere, therefore I figured I should warn people.

My Wife and I have Passports. However our friends who are going with us do not. Luckily, they have their Marriage Certificate.

I ordered a new copy of my birth certificate, my moms birth certificate and her marriage certificate today. That way they have several months to get it to us. We would rather do this then pay the extra for a passport at this time, as we may never travel again??

I ordered a new copy of my birth certificate, my moms birth certificate and her marriage certificate today. That way they have several months to get it to us. We would rather do this then pay the extra for a passport at this time, as we may never travel again??

Passports can be used for more than traveling and they're good for ten years. It's the best form of ID.

I was never asked for a marriage license.

I have used a birth certificate and drivers license to get onboard.

To get a drivers license I needed to show a marriage license. I just dont think I feel comfortable with carrying all those documents around with me. Maybe I will look into a passport for next year.

PS--Im on the cruise to nowhere on the legend..can not wait.

I use both names on my drivers license and have never had any problems. I think you could have your name changed on your DL anytime.

The name on my Drivers license Is the same on my Doc's ,(my now married name) the name on my Marriage certificate is my previous married name. Then my maiden name on my Birth Certificate. :confused:

Wow, I couldn't be bothered with all these docs, names, etc. etc. and all the stress that comes from gathering all the docs every time you travel.

Take the birth certificate to the post office and get a passport. DH and I last year did so and it was a breeze! I had taken my marriage/divorce papers and they didn't even need them.

IMHO, simplify your life - get a passport...;)

ok- to clear things up a bit. Sometimes when people get married they dont change the names on documents--drivers license. then they book a cruise in the new married name. In this situation the marriage license in necessary. If the Documents and the license are the same name ou wont need a birth certificate. THe birth certificate is certifying you are a citzen of US.

In all of our cruises we have never taken a marriage certificate or marriage license. We have also never been asked to provide it either. Now we have passports so no worries from here on out.

I've cruised many times and have only taken my birth certificate and driver's license each time up until this past March. Yes, I am married, and my married name and maiden name are not the same......It has never been a problem, and no one has ever asked.

In February I applied for and received my passport. I didn't even need my marriage certificate to receive my passport. All that was necessary was a certified copy of my birth certificate, the application with passport photo, and some money to go with it...... :rolleyes:

I just made the final payment for our CTN on the Legend. While on the phone with our travel agent she told us that any married woman who does not have a passport should bring the Original or Certified copy with Raised Seal of her Marriage Certificate along with the Birth Certificate with the Raised Seal.

The reason being the last name on the Drivers License will not match the Birth Certificate. This travel agent (Very Large) has had a number of female passengers denied boarding in the last few weeks because the agent at the port would not accept the fact the names were different between the Drivers License and Birth Certificate.

We just came from the Paradise which sailed on 8/1 (what a vacation!) I took my birth certificate, my driver's license and my marriage certificate. I had no problem at all. I easily got my birth certificate ($10.00) from the state, and my marriage certificate from the church I was married in(no charge). My brother-in-law works for US Immigration on cruise ships and told me that this was sufficient documentation for the ports we were traveling to. They understand that women get married and change their name. You do have to be careful about where you are going. We went to Nassau, La Romana and St. Thomas.

As for a passport, I know everyone thinks you should get one and they are good for ten years, etc. but my documents cost all of $10.00, and a passport would have cost a lot more. Maybe that doesn't seem like a lot of savings to some people, but we saved for years for our cruise and the money we saved we spent on drinks before dinner, which we thoroughly enjoyed. If we cruise as we plan to in five years and we need a passport for those ports, then I'll get one.

Have a great time on your cruise. You are going to LOVE IT! We are still suffering withdrawl:(

Cathy

I read some of these posts last night and to put it mildly...I had a panic attack of the worst kind and wound up tearing apart my house into the wee hrs. As a promise, I kept my late husbands' last name (hyphend) when I remarried - Yes, my DL has all 3 names, SS card, and recent marriage license, but not my BC(was born without a middle name). I called the local Post Office today and I was told by the person who does the passports that women who hyphen their names like that have been denied access to the ship unless they carried either all the paperwork (bc's, dc's, new marriage lic. etc...)or had a passport---Should I just get a passport and pay the extra $$? Only have 53 days to sail---Input please!

Archived