Poll: Traditional dining vs anytime dining

Hypo

Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining  

905 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Traditional fixed dining vs Anytime open dining

• Traditional fixed seating dining
    • Anytime open seating dining

I HAVE tried both types of dining (Freestyle on Norwegian Majesty in 2006), so I wasn't spouting unfounded "theories." Just hop over to the NCL board and you'll see plenty of complaints about Freestyle that match what I mentioned as its drawbacks.

When on Norw. Majesty last year, I noticed that your idea of "country club casual" in many cases included sweatpants. That didn't bother me a bit. I'm just noting that the reality of the passengers' appearance differs starkly from the smartly-dressed, savvy, freewheeling sophisticates NCL depicts as its clientele in its advertising. When I say they have the freedom to "dress down," I mean down to what you'd wear to mow the yard. But this isn't just NCL, you see some of that on all mass-market ships.

I didn't use the words "dumbed down" in my post, but yes, NCL has definitely dumbed down the entire dining experience. I KNOW because I sailed with NCL 23 times without Freestyle.

I immediately noticed on Norwegian Majesty a dumbed-down place setting with one fork and one knife, instead of utensils for each course. But that was fine because the menu had also been dumbed-down.

If memory serves me, NCL menus used to include: hot appetizers, cold appetizers, soup, salad, entree, dessert. MANY passengers worked their way through the whole SIX courses for a long, leisurely meal--and even managed to make small talk with strangers simultaneously. Those were the days. :)

What do Freestyle menus have? Appetizer, entree, dessert.

I don't believe RCI or NCL has ever prohibited anyone from sitting at a table for two, if available. I've done it myself. I just wonder why people who dislike meeting new people sail on ships FULL of them. If you "vant to be alone," why not fly to some some secluded island or rent a beach house where no one will intrude on your solitude?

If we choose to put ourselves in a confined space like a ship spending days in the company of strangers, I think it's incumbent on all of us to climb out of our shells and go with the flow like grownups.

Imagine what a nasty, stressful experience cruising would become if everyone on board totally ignored everyone else, especially if they all ended up in lifeboats together. :eek::D

Traditions don't become traditions because no one liked or honored them. As another poster said, "If it ain't broke..."

Cruising was created as a result of "The Transatlantic Era". There are many sea-going traditions. that have been preserved for more than 200 years, that you will find onboard ship today. Traditional Dining is certainly one of those traditions. I wish the other lines, who have changed to Anytime Dining, "GOOD LUCK"...just understand...I will not be sailing with them.

In a couple of years you may find yourself without any cruise lines to sail on if you want traditional dining. Every line has dumbed down the overall cruise experience to appeal to a larger number of people. The name of the game is get as many people on board as you can by offering low prices and then nickel and dime them once they get on board. The absence of any enforcement of the dress code in the dining room and the replacement of semi-formal (informal) nights with more casual nights should be your indication of where things are going. The only reason the cruise lines maintain formal nights is the extra revenue it generates from the sale of photos and mens tuxedo rentals. When the cost of lobsters, filet mignon and prime rib exceeds photo gallery revenue formal nights will become a thing of the past. The opulence of the "Transatlantic Era" is gone forever and cruising is now just another mass market vacation.

In a couple of years you may find yourself without any cruise lines to sail on if you want traditional dining. Every line has dumbed down the overall cruise experience to appeal to a larger number of people. The name of the game is get as many people on board as you can by offering low prices and then nickel and dime them once they get on board. The absence of any enforcement of the dress code in the dining room and the replacement of semi-formal (informal) nights with more casual nights should be your indication of where things are going. The only reason the cruise lines maintain formal nights is the extra revenue it generates from the sale of photos and mens tuxedo rentals. When the cost of lobsters, filet mignon and prime rib exceeds photo gallery revenue formal nights will become a thing of the past. The opulence of the "Transatlantic Era" is gone forever and cruising is now just another mass market vacation.

I don't know if I'd say gone entirely but gone from mass market for sure! You can't expect people who actually argue that hats should be allowed in the dinning room, to give a rats butt about the days of old! :( :(

Some don't care, but some really just don't know anymore!

The opulence of the "Transatlantic Era" is gone forever and cruising is now just another mass market vacation.

Sadly, superjerry, you're right. The signs are all there that traditional cruising is in its death throes with the mass-market lines. Anyone who doesn't want to be treated like cattle will just have to ante up and pay for premium lines like Crystal or Seabourne, who don't seem to be slashing fares and drooling to get the sweatpants/cap-wearing, "What's a salad fork?" cruising newbies on their ships. ;)

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and flame me for being "condescending" with that last comment. It's just that taking a cruise used to be something special, and I've gone mad with grief. :D

I don't believe RCI or NCL has ever prohibited anyone from sitting at a table for two, if available. I've done it myself. I just wonder why people who dislike meeting new people sail on ships FULL of them. If you "vant to be alone," why not fly to some some secluded island or rent a beach house where no one will intrude on your solitude?

My thoughts precisely. Part of the 'cruise experience' is getting out and meeting new people, imo - why would people want to get on a ship with 3500 people on it, and have nothing to do with them?

Fran in Toronto

I, for one, would like to return to the decorum of the past as it pertains to dining/dress code for dinner and quality of the food. The quantity, the variety and the ubiquitous of food onboard is still there, it is the quality. For past levels of food quality, you now have to go to a speciality restaurant and pay more $.

I love sailing on RCL and have 2 cruises in the planning stages on RCL, but struggle with the mass market cliente. I am trying out Princess again, HAL for the first time and pleased I am booked on Celebrity. When cruising becomes like 'coach' air travel, I will look for other sources of travel and will have fond memories of a 'bygone' era. :)

My thoughts precisely. Part of the 'cruise experience' is getting out and meeting new people, imo - why would people want to get on a ship with 3500 people on it, and have nothing to do with them? Fran in Toronto

Many people go on a particular ship because of the facilties the ship offers and the ports that it visits. I don't find it odd that they don't want to mingle with strangers. If you stay in one of the larger hotels in Las Vegas there might be 10,000 guests in the hotel but you don't become friendly with them just because you're all there together. I think most people would be appalled if they went to a restaurant and were told they had to sit with strangers. Why are cruise ship passengers expected to accept eating dinner every night with people they don't know. I've read the posts from people that say their tablemates were fantastic and now they're friends after the cruise. However, the opposite is true as well. Our last cruise was on the Noordam and we were put at table for 4 with a couple in their 80's. They were nice people, but we had nothing in common with them. You can only make meaningless small talk for just so long and then it gets uncomfortable.

Sadly, superjerry, you're right. The signs are all there that traditional cruising is in its death throes with the mass-market lines. Anyone who doesn't want to be treated like cattle will just have to ante up and pay for premium lines like Crystal or Seabourne, who don't seem to be slashing fares and drooling to get the sweatpants/cap-wearing, "What's a salad fork?" cruising newbies on their ships. ;)

Yeah, yeah, go ahead and flame me for being "condescending" with that last comment. It's just that taking a cruise used to be something special, and I've gone mad with grief. :D

You have to remember that when you cruised a few years ago you paid more than than you do now. The higher prices meant better food and service and without being "condescending" it also meant than many people could not cruise. In the last few years the cruise industry has shifted to "economy of scale". A very large ship costs less to build and operate per passenger than a smaller ship. This means lower cruise fares and a larger percentage of the population that can afford to cruise. As I said in another post, get them on board with a low fare and the nickel and dime them as much as possible. For people that sail the mass market cruise lines that are tired of what's happening switching to the premium cruise lines is not always an option. People that typically sail in an inside or outside cabin cannot afford even the cheapest cabin on Crystal. Besides, I think that most people that enjoy sailing on RCI would find the premium cruise line experience very boring.

And the Princess cheerleaders flame me for pointing out that HAL is for the cane/walker brigade :D

HAL's demographic has always been seniors. In the last few years they have indicated that they wanted to cater to a more diverse age range and hence the introduction of their Vista class of ships. Having just sailed on the Noordam I can say that while the ship may be more modern, everything that takes place on board is still geared to seniors and just having a new class of ships is not going to win them any converts.

You have to remember that when you cruised a few years ago you paid more than than you do now. The higher prices meant better food and service and without being "condescending" it also meant than many people could not cruise. In the last few years the cruise industry has shifted to "economy of scale". A very large ship costs less to build and operate per passenger than a smaller ship. This means lower cruise fares and a larger percentage of the population that can afford to cruise. As I said in another post, get them on board with a low fare and the nickel and dime them as much as possible. For people that sail the mass market cruise lines that are tired of what's happening switching to the premium cruise lines is not always an option. People that typically sail in an inside or outside cabin cannot afford even the cheapest cabin on Crystal. Besides, I think that most people that enjoy sailing on RCI would find the premium cruise line experience very boring.

100% right here. My take, though, is that as long as RCI has most of the ship as traditional, it will still attract cruisers who remember and like the old ways. The backwards baseball hat brigade, lured from C------L, will cluster in the anytime level and have frisbee contests at dinner:)

DH and I have requested a table for two on our last 4 cruises and got one on three occasions. Why do we want a table for two-

1. We enjoy each others company.

2. If we were on a land vacation, we would dine alone.

3. We are tired of dining with tablemates who claim they never drink wine until someone else orders a bottle. They are only too happy to help us drink ours, but never seem to reciprocate.

And the table that cinched our desire for dining alone was the one with the European couple who spoke little English (him) and no English (her). Once they discovered the DH was fluent in their language, he could never talk with anyone else at the table. They insisted that he sit between them every night, so he could translate to the waiter and so they could have a conversation in their language. Being a nice guy, he didn't want to embarass them or anyone else at the table. There were two other lovely couples at the table who he never got to know because they monopolized his time. It made him dread going to dinner and we spent several nights in Chops and Portofinos just to have a relaxing dinner.

We make many friends on the ship, particularly in the Champagne Bar and the Viking Crown/disco. We find that we see the same folks repeatedly at these locations and get to know them. So we do not get on a ship with 2000 +/- passengers and not meet new people. It just so happens that dinner isn't our preferred opportunity to do it.

Our reasons for liking traditional dining have to do with the service and having the same staff every evening. Also we do not want to be rushed thru our meal because they need to turn the tables for passengers who are waiting to dine. Nor do we want to wait in line for 30-60 minutes to get a table. I can do that at home!

RCI's test of open dining is beginning to sound like they are looking for a way to move folks thru the dining experience quickly. What is next-family style service so they can feed the table even faster instead of having to serve each person individually?

RCI's test of open dining is beginning to sound like they are looking for a way to move folks thru the dining experience quickly. What is next-family style service so they can feed the table even faster instead of having to serve each person individually?

That would be called the Windjammer. That is a reason why many folks would prefer anytime dining. If your only other option when you miss your assigned seating is to eat at the buffet -- I for one would be going hungry.

100% right here. My take, though, is that as long as RCI has most of the ship as traditional, it will still attract cruisers who remember and like the old ways. The backwards baseball hat brigade, lured from C------L, will cluster in the anytime level and have frisbee contests at dinner:)

Will the frisbee area be screened in or will the rest of us now have to wear hard hats at the dinner table......:rolleyes:

My thoughts precisely. Part of the 'cruise experience' is getting out and meeting new people, imo - why would people want to get on a ship with 3500 people on it, and have nothing to do with them?

Fran in Toronto

I don't get the attacks on folks who want a table for two.

We have cruised a lot. We are Diamond on RCCL. ONCE we wanted a table for two. It was a short cruise for our anniversary. We were able to be seated at a table for two. I don't think that this means we want to get on a ship with 3500 people and have nothing to do with them. It means that we wanted to dine as a couple for our romantic anniversary cruise.

I think it's great that some folks always want to meet new people at large tables. But that's not a reason to criticize those who prefer to sit as a couple as somehow anti-social.

Here is the E-mail I just received from RCCL.

Royal Caribbean International®

Hi Mark,

We've got great news about your fall Caribbean cruise onboard

Freedom of the Seas! Your sailing is one of the select few to

feature a limited-time offer - a new Open Seating* option for dinner.

With Open Seating, you and your party can arrive at your assigned

dining room anytime between 6:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. each evening

and be seated together at the best available table. This allows you

more flexibility to plan around your daily activities - from

sunbathing on a deck chair to surfing on the FlowRiderSM to our

extensive list of shore excursions!

Signing up is easy! Get all the details on Open Seating.

Ready to reserve? Simply call 1-800-560-6209 or email

openseating@rccl.com to sign up now. Please note that emails

will be responded to within 48 hours, Monday-Friday.

All the best,

Your Friends at Royal Caribbean

*Based on availability

Here is the E-mail I just received from RCCL.

Royal Caribbean International®

Hi Mark,

We've got great news about your fall Caribbean cruise onboard

Freedom of the Seas! Your sailing is one of the select few to

feature a limited-time offer - a new Open Seating* option for dinner.

With Open Seating, you and your party can arrive at your assigned

dining room anytime between 6:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. each evening

and be seated together at the best available table. This allows you

more flexibility to plan around your daily activities - from

sunbathing on a deck chair to surfing on the FlowRiderSM to our

extensive list of shore excursions!

Signing up is easy! Get all the details on Open Seating.

Ready to reserve? Simply call 1-800-560-6209 or email

openseating@rccl.com to sign up now. Please note that emails

will be responded to within 48 hours, Monday-Friday.

All the best,

Your Friends at Royal Caribbean

*Based on availability

What's your opinion of the tone -- is it less forcing than Princess's when they put confirmed traditional into anytime dining. Or just a storng marketing pitch.

No stuffed shirt waiter, as they get to know us & enjoy phone cards we bring them, etc. They know I want iced water with lime slice in it & It is waiting for me when I sit each night. If we are going to Chops or Portofino, we let them know, and they appreciate it. In the CL I get the menus for the week or weeks to review to pick the night that seems boring to do specialty restaurant at, then we choose which one.

We cruised 12 times on Princess before the takeover, the anytime dining was far from ANYTIME. Reservations must be made to insure a table for your time. So we got there when the doors were unlocked to get the same table, same waiter every night. Just like traditional. Other folks that wanted meals after 7PM where in a long line or at the bar with a beeper waiting for their table. Even at a restaurant, if more than 20 minute wait, we are gone to another.

Clear all the sharp items away from RCCL staff when they try this for good on all ships. If they hate the *itching, they haven't heard nothing yet.

STAY TRADITIONAL WITH FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! Another reason we cruise exclusive RCCL.

Those who want anytime dining have the personal choice option to dine at the Windjammer. They need to leave the dining room traditional.

I've already dashed off an email to C&A and to Richard Fain to voice my strong objections to this change.

Better yet, switch traditional dining to the Windjammer. :eek: Tables would be reserved at the appropriate times for the traditional diners and they would have the added bonus that they could pile what ever food they want on their plates themselves. :rolleyes:

LOL! (Ducking)

No stuffed shirt waiter, as they get to know us & enjoy phone cards we bring them, etc. They know I want iced water with lime slice in it & It is waiting for me when I sit each night. If we are going to Chops or Portofino, we let them know, and they appreciate it. In the CL I get the menus for the week or weeks to review to pick the night that seems boring to do specialty restaurant at, then we choose which one.

We cruised 12 times on Princess before the takeover, the anytime dining was far from ANYTIME. Reservations must be made to insure a table for your time. So we got there when the doors were unlocked to get the same table, same waiter every night. Just like traditional. Other folks that wanted meals after 7PM where in a long line or at the bar with a beeper waiting for their table. Even at a restaurant, if more than 20 minute wait, we are gone to another.

Clear all the sharp items away from RCCL staff when they try this for good on all ships. If they hate the *itching, they haven't heard nothing yet.

STAY TRADITIONAL WITH FORMAL NIGHTS!!!! Another reason we cruise exclusive RCCL.

good points -- hope you also follow up with an email to RCCL.

I'm getting feedback that various RCCL Crown and Anchor and Customer Service lines are getting a lot of calls -- mostly from folks who are not happy with the change. Some RCCL employees think that the experiment will be open seating for the entire ship for these cruises but I think they may be wrong.

Archived