Using an exchange timeshare week for a cruise

I've never done this before but is it worth it to use your timeshare week for a cruise. How much would it cost you moneywise? I went to my timeshare site and the price of the cruise is the same as what I am paying now. So if you exchange your week for a cruise how much do you save, if any? I don't know how this works.

I own a timeshare in the Florida Keys, and belong to Interval International. I tried one year to exchange my week in Florida, since we do not go down anymore. From what I tried to do, it is not worth it. I don't remember how exactly it works, but I remember that I ended up not doing it. Somehow, I think it is more than the accual cruise. So I don't remember exactly how it works, but I remember not doing it. i hope this helps.

I don't think that you save that much money using your exchange for a cruise vacation...my advise is that you call your timeshare cruise rep and talk about the pros and cons of exchanging. Good luck!

You are better to either rent your week and take the money and book the cruise direct with that money. If you own with Marriott you can turn your week in for points.

They rip you off when trading for a cruise and sometimes you can book on your own for less and still have your week!!

I've looked into this several times over the past few years and every time the supplemental fee the timeshare company (RCI) wants to charge is at least the same, and usually more, than I can book the cruise for myself. So I've booked the cruise myself and kept the week or deposited it to exchange for a land based vacation.

We own weeks at Marriot Cypress Harbor and Grande Vista (lockoff).

One year I exchanged directly with II for a holiday 9 nighter on Serenade. This was back in 2001 when the lines got a pretty penny for the Xmas/New Years week.

The listed rate for the Serenade cabin at Yahoo Travel was $2,500; we had to pay $1,700 plus the week at Cypress Harbor. So the discount was $800. In addition we had to pay the $1,700 at that time Dec 2000 for the Dec 2001 trip. Normally we would have paid the final payment Sept 2001. And we had no further dealings with the II rep so that if there had been a price reduction we would have not gotten it.

Overall I consider a direct exchange a poor use of the week. However this experience was 6 years ago so who knows what goes on now.

The best trade of weeks was thru Marriot miles. We traded the equivalent of 5 weeks, built up thru various swaps-for-miles, for a large verandah on the Amsterdam to Alaska, along with $1,000 cash. The price on the internet for our cabin was $7,800 so the value of each week was $1,360, a far better rate. This was in 2003.

i have also looked into this a few times {RCI}......... it NEVER worked out to benefit us ;) if u take in 1} the yearly fee/dues/matainence u pay + 2}exchange fee ..........behooves to research online and get a better deal .ºÜº

As others have said, don't do it! We own Worldmark and are members of Interval International. In having researched this in the past, you will pay way more by giving up a week + cash than if you did if you just booked the cruise directly. I know that RCI frequently runs cruise specials, and those are STILL not a good deal. You spent a pretty penny on your timeshare program, so don't throw it away by exchanging on a cruise.

The only time you may want to consider exchanging for a cruise is if your points/credits/weeks are about to expire, and for whatever reason you don't want to deposit them with RCI or II.

Otherwise, exchange to another land-based resort and enjoy! :)

I did it once when I didn't know better and swore never again. Aside from the price not being all that great once you pay the exchange fee I found the RCI people not always very helpful. My original agent with RCI would never call me back so I'd have to convince another agent to talk with me. And then when the cost of the cruise decreased I had to go through h**l to get the decrease and finally got it only when I spoke with a supervisor. All in all it was not a pleasant experience.

What I do now is if I have points I know I'll never use or if I have points about to expire I book a week somewhere that I think is marketable. Then I "sell" that week on ebay with an opening bid that's the same as the exchange fee. I've sold weeks in Gatlinburg, TN, Myrtle Beach, SC and the Disney World area with threat success that way. I've profited anywhere from $250 to $600 that way. That will buy a lot of onboard drinks or help with excursions.

I've had the same impression with the exchange companies, give up a week to save a hundred bucks, I'd rather rent it or donate it.

I own a Bluegreen timeshare, and heard last week that they have their own travelersplus program that my points convert to a cruise without costing me any out of pocket. I'm calling tomorrow to follow up.

My take is ......any trade of "anything of value" for "something else of value" will require a commission. Guess who pays that...... the trader.

To me......It makes no sense to buy "A", and then trade it for "B". :confused: Just go buy "B".

But I understand.... if you bought "A" and do not plan on using it, get some value for it (for instance....even 50% of value is better than nothing :eek: ).

I've had the same impression with the exchange companies' date=' give up a week to save a hundred bucks, I'd rather rent it or donate it.

I own a Bluegreen timeshare, and heard last week that they have their own travelersplus program that my points convert to a cruise without costing me any out of pocket. I'm calling tomorrow to follow up.[/quote']

Well, yes you can, but it's absurdly lopsided. With the points it would take me to get a 7 night cruise, I could make 3 times more renting out the unit.

Archived