Dress requirements - am I overdoing it?

medcruiseplanner

hello -

We like to dress nicely for dinner when we are on vacation. I have only cruised once (short, caribbean) and my husband has never cruised. When we take land vacations, for dinner he usually wears a nice pair of slacks and a silk short sleeve button down shirt and I usually wear some sort of dress.

Our cruise is 13 night med and we planned to wear the above listed items on casual nights. A coworker had mentioned dresses may be above and beyond the casual dress required and that I should consider pants or capris with a top on casual nights and save a dress for informal. I have some dresses that are beyond casual wear but not formal. I was thinking of wearing those on informal evenings. Should I be toning it down for casual nights?

Other questions we have on dress are: Do the majority of women wear long gowns or cocktail dresses on the formal evenings? Do we wear nicer items to the specialty restaurant even if it is a casual night? (I know what celebrity's website says but I want to be appropriate if most dress up instead) How do you define informal? - does it mean close to the same as semi formal?

Thanks!

I would tend to agree that nice pants/capris are appropriate for casual. I think of "informal" as semi-formal and dresses are appropriate. As for long gowns on formal nights, you will see both long and shorter but definately "dressed up"

Hope that helps. I think there is another CC board that is devoted to what to wear.

Brenda

My husband and I like to dress up even on casual nights. We save formal wear for formal nights, of course, but I do wear sundresses and dressy top/skirt combinations on casual nights.

We think of cruising as a great opportunity to wear our nice clothes. We don't often get the chance!

Just remember one, very important thing: You will have to carry those beautiful clothes as you fly internationally. Don;t be afraid to wear things more than once (or twice on a 13 day). 99% of the time, you won't see your fellow pax again. Believe me, they won't remember what you wore. Just be comfortable and don't forget about packing.

When we sailed the Med (on HAL), I wore nice capris and tops for casual dinners, was comfortable, and was neither under- nor over-dressed. That said, if you like to wear skirts or dresses, go for it (think sundresses, knits, something along those lines). :)

Many women were in long gowns on formal nights (me included), and DH wore his tux. Semi-formal, I'd say think cocktail dress and men in suits or blazers with tie and slacks.

Have fun. We enjoyed the Med SO MUCH and will definitely do it again some day.

Barb

I don't remember seeing any Capris at dinner on a casual night on a Celebrity Cruise in Europe. You will see them in port during the day. What you have planned is just fine. Wear what you will be comfortable in.

I say, wear what you like on casual night even if some guests are more casual. And, don't hesitate to repeat outfits! Also, in the Mediterranean, you'll find lots of temptations to pick up fabulous accessories along the way. Shawls, costume and real jewelry, and little evening bags casual and dressy are everywhere. I love my little purses from Turkey. Have fun and don't worry.

On our recently Celebrity Century cruise to Norway only 26% of passengers were from the US and they were the smartest, most sophisticated, beautifully dressed ever! Sitting in the lounge with a cocktail before dinner was such a treat as we watched all those lovely people celebrating the exciting journey we were all on!

Remember that what the rules tell you and what people generally say is considered the MINIMUM appropriate dress, but you have some range. Dresses can be casual, too, and there is nothing wrong with wearing a dress on casual nights. Just because some prefer pants doesn't mean that you would be wrong or inappropriate wearing a dress.

We cruised the Med. and it was so nice to see that 99% of the guests did make an effort and dressed beautifully, especially on the Formal evenings. There were some lovely gowns and stylish Tux the men wore. I must say I didn't see anyone wearing capri pants for dinner. The dress seemed to be open neck shirt for the guys and for the ladies, pants and top or dress on the casual nights. Semi-formal nights were, for the guys, a jacket and tie and the girls pants or dress with a little big a 'bling' to dress it up. Because it can be cool in the Dining Room a wrap/shawl is a must.

Enjoy.....you will, I'm sure.

Jillybean:D

The clothes that you have planned sound great. We also like to dress up a bit even on casual nights. To us, it's still like going out and being on a cruise is very special, so we like to dress up as part of making each dinner very special.

Have a wonderful time.

Keith

We leave next week and I'm beginning to realize I hadn't thought about the casual vs informal evenings. I'm all set for formal, can't wait. Hubby has a tux rented, but he's not planning to bring another jacket. Will he be okay without a tie or jacket on the informal nights? Also, I'm gathering that shorts for dining on a casual night are a no-no. Will I need capri's for casual? I'm taking two cotton skirts for the Rome Vatican tour and for the heat so am hoping to get by with those for the informal nights, not take along another dress. This is our first time on Celebrity, with the only other cruises on Carnival (I know, very different). I'm looking forward to the more formal aspects, but wasn't sure if we were too "dressed down" for the casual and informal nights. Or, does it really matter? (just want to have a great time!)

Your husband really does need a jacket for informal nights. He can wear the sports coat onto the plane to make it easier to bring along.

Shorts are not permitted in the dining room for dinner on any evening.

LOL.....I remember my first cruise. I think I packed three large suitcases and even took up room in my DS suitcase. I also think I packed seven pairs of shoes. Here is what I do now.

Three pairs of shoes: Black slings for dress, good walking shoes (I usually wear to board) Casual sandal, Pool side shoes.

One nice black formal short dress: just bring two different wraps with color and alternate your jewlery. Believe me your jewlery is what will be remembered, not your dress or shoes. I have also brought 1 long black formal skirt and two different tops.

One light skirt with two matching tops.

Capri's, shorts, tops (all that can mix or match) swimsuit, light jacket that can tie around my waist if it gets too warm.

Don't sweat the formal nights. If you plan to have a formal picture taken its nice to compliment your mate. You will see everytihing on formal nights for men.

military uniforms, kilts, tuxes, dark suits.

Enjoy your cruise.

Definitely no shorts in the evening on causal night. I really have never seen Capri pants either at night. If you want easy -- take black pants and change the tops.

People tend to dress up more on Celebrity. I also agree that husband may want to take a Jacket for informal night but no need to take a shirt and tie. My husband will wear a silk top or turtleneck underneath.

Just remember one, very important thing: You will have to carry those beautiful clothes as you fly internationally. Don;t be afraid to wear things more than once (or twice on a 13 day). 99% of the time, you won't see your fellow pax again. Believe me, they won't remember what you wore. Just be comfortable and don't forget about packing.

I would definitely mix and match. That's one thing I finally picked up on after several cruises of overpacking. :) While I don't love to dress up, I do want to dress appropriately. Practicality within the bounds of the dress code may be the way to go.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Millie two months ago on a 12-night European cruise, and there were no capris that I saw on casual night. Lots of pants outfits and sundresses, skirts and tops.

Wear your dresses; you won't be overdressed.

European cruises tend to be more dressy, anyway. Europeans dress up for dinner more so than Americans.

Since we had to fly on EasyJet coming back into the UK from Barcelona, and we had 5 days in the UK post-cruise, I took lots of mix and match knits. "Slinky knit" fabrics are the best for this type of travel: no wrinkles.

There are some new tops out lately that I really like. They are slinky knit "two-fers" with the built-in shell attached to the jacket. Very nice and they are what I will be taking on our next cruise. They look fabulous with a pair of pants or a short or long skirt.

Archived