Travel curling irons

emmylou

I am thinking about taking a gas curling iron on our cruise.I am wondering if I will be allowed to take it onboard the plane either in checked luggage or the one I take on board with me and even if it will be allowed on the riverboat:confused: I can't seem to find any info on this.I have been reading some bad experiences with the plugs and converters and since my sister and I are not handy with fixing things :o I am looking for the easiest way around situations I may not be able to handle.With strait as a poker hair I really need a curling iron.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

emmy

When you say "gas" I don't know whether you mean gasoline or liquefied petroleum gas; either way, I HOPE it would not be allowed on a riverboat. I certainly would not want to be a passenger on a boat that allowed other passengers to bring fuels like that aboard.

Why not simply buy a curling iron in Europe when you get there? Or get a really short haircut before you leave home.

Hi,

I think you're talking about a butane curling iron. I don't think they are allowed as checked or carry on luggage. I was going to use one on one of our trips but the airlines website listed it among the things it doesn't allow because it's a compressed gas. Maybe it varies by airline but I don't think so. Most airlines have a page on there websites about banned items so you can look it up there probably.

I would think the boat would allow it though because there are not the air pressure issues.

I never have had an issue with converters myself. They're as easy to use as a three prong adapter here at home. Maybe a friend of yours who has travelled has one you could borrow?

Best wishes for a great trip!

Carol

zxcvbmn,

I am neither addled or stupid.I certainly would not try to get on a plane or boat with gasoline or liquified petroleum gas and I don't think a manufacturer would make such a product.

carol,

Yes the travel irons that have the cartridge you put in the curling iron.I thought if you kept them out of the iron that might be alright.I guess I'll look into one that is supposed to have a duel control and can be used in either U S or Europe. Thank you for your reply.

emmy

I am thinking about taking a gas curling iron on our cruise.I am wondering if I will be allowed to take it onboard the plane either in checked luggage or the one I take on board with me and even if it will be allowed on the riverboat:confused: I can't seem to find any info on this.I have been reading some bad experiences with the plugs and converters and since my sister and I are not handy with fixing things :o I am looking for the easiest way around situations I may not be able to handle.With strait as a poker hair I really need a curling iron.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

emmy

I have travelled extensively throughout Europe and the rest of the world and have taken my gas tongues every time without a problem! I usually seperate the cylinder and pack in my check-in baggage! I also usually pack a spare cylinder in a different case!

These little cylinders are no more dangerous than carrying pressurised hair sprays etc.

Letsgo39,

I purchased a few things from Travelsmith.I like thier products.

kazover40,

I am thinking the same as you.They are allowing cigarette lighters to be carried on aircraft as of Aug.4th and the cartridge for the curling iron uses butane the same as the lighters or am I mistaken.I don't smoke so I can't really say for sure.Does anyone know?? We have booked our trip with GCT and they are supplying our Air as well and we don't know what airline we are going on so can't check ahead of time what thier regulations are.

emmy

I spent all of last summer in Switzerland and had a dual voltage curling iron. It was not too expensive (under 20$), and it wasn't hurt by the 220V. (I think that most of the new curling irons are dual voltage. The controls adjust from 1-20, and the iron did get much hotter in Europe than it does in the US. Hope that helps. The first time I went to Europe, I thought I would just use a brush to tame my hair with the blowdryer! That was a mistake as the blowdryer is so strong at 220V that I looked like Boko the Wildwoman!:D

• 2 months later...

Well gals nothing is more unsettling than being without a curling iron and that is a serious statement. I needed a brush 1 1/4 inch barrel curling iron dual if you please. Not easy to find and the one I had I blew out, outfitted with converter and adapter. Luckily we were almost home! I had tried the dual from Magellans but the 3/4 barrel was too small and with no brush. So when we got back I got to work on the web and logged into the Conair sight (www.conair.com) and that is the best selection I have found. Not too many dual to select from but it is the best available and is a site to try. I bought the 1" dual professional Ceramic Straightener. It can also be used as a curling iron as in the traditional sense. So far I like it and seems to be easy to use for a novice. My hair has cowlicks that pop up just to be ornery and the ceramic straightener seems to control them. By the way I have a med. short bob. Hopefully I have been helpful.

Thanks for posting this question, as I've been wondering about the curling iron situation too. I'm traveling in Dec on the MS Bolero Blue Danube River Cruise.

Speaking of adapters & convertors - is it best to take both? My husband uses a CPAP machine.

Debbie

You may want to check the TSA website for what's permitted and what's prohibited on flights originating in the US. The airlines seem to link to that. That list states that "common lighters" are allowed in carry-ons but "torch lighters" are not.

At the end of September, I saw one person having to discard a lighter from his pocket/carry-on; it looked like one of those Bic-type disposable lighters, so maybe that's a "torch" type or else the word hasn't filtered down to the inspectors.

S

yellowrosetx,

To be on the safe side I would take both.Have a nice trip we leave end of Nov for Rhine Christmas markets.

emmy

Have a great trip! We are getting excited as time gets closer, looks like we may be in for cold weather. I won't mind as long as we don't have rain or snow....

yellowrosetx,

To be on the safe side I would take both.Have a nice trip we leave end of Nov for Rhine Christmas markets.

emmy

Have a great trip! We are getting excited as time gets closer, looks like we may be in for cold weather. I won't mind as long as we don't have rain or snow....

yellowrosetx,

emmy

You have a great trip too! I am getting more excited as the time gets closer. Looks like we will have cold weather, I won't mind as long as most days are sunny.......I hope.

Use of any gas heated device aboard ship is absolute insanity. While I cannot fathom the need for a curling iron, a dual voltage model provides the only safe choice. Keep in mind that you are not operating in a completely benign environment.

• 2 months later...

I realize this is a reply to an old thread, but it doesn't hurt to "resurrect" a thread from time to time. We travel out of the country a couple times a year and I make sure all appliances I take (curling iron, battery charger, hair dryer, etc.) are dual voltage so that I don't have to bother with a converter. Dual voltage curling irons are usually available anywhere you can buy curling irons--just look at the specifications on the package--and are not much more expensive than single voltage ones. You can pick up a selection of plugs for various countries at any of the discount or travel stores, or check out e-bay.

on my recent trip to Australia I had my Conair curling iron (not dual voltage) so I had to use the converter and adaptor. I was not happy with the results so stopped using it for the trip. I felt it was not getting hot enough. Maybe it was just me.

For my next trip I am definitely getting a dual voltage iron or maybe just buy one wherever I land.

On the Conair website I haven't found a curling iron that I like but I will keep searching.

Dual-voltage curling irons are not that expensive. I would guess somewhere between $10-20 USD. I have a Revlon dual-voltage that I purchased at WalMart about 5-years ago. I just attach an adaptor plug and it works--no need to make any adjustments. I have used it on river cruises, ocean cruises, Mexico, South America, numerous countries in the orient and Europe. For the price, I would just buy a dual-voltage and get the proper adaptor plug.

We are traveling with Avalon and I'll be taking my dual-voltage Conair curling iron (which I have used in Israel, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Austria, Fiji, New Zealand and Australia without any problems).

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of electrical outlets are on Avalon ships? Are they standard US or European standard? I'll probably bring my plugs anyway, but just thought someone out there could give me some help!

Thanks!

Archived