confused about disembarking and luggage

mushmurph

I am a first time cruiser and I did not purchase the transfers from NCL. Will I be able to carry my own luggage off the ship. I have a 1:30 flight home. I have heard it is quicker to carry your own luggage. AND :p also will I be able to find a taxi to the airport(Seattle)

You are allowed to haul off your own if you are physically able to carry it all at once. But why rush off if your flight does not leave until 1:30? That is plenty of time to get to the airport using the normal disembarkation. And yes, there are many taxis at the port.

I always do the self disembark and carry off my own luggage. I dont like taking the chance of having to search for a bag and it not being where I expect it. We use suitcases on wheels which are not hard to take off ourselves.

You will have plenty of time and be among the first ones off.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Yes, you will be able to self-disembark. But you must carry all your own luggage (no porters, no luggage racks, etc). You will be in the earliest group to leave the ship. And there will be lots of taxis to take you to the airport. There may even be a shuttle service; check or post here: Click here: West Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Message Boards

You don't have to decide now- part way through the cruise, you'll receive info about disembarkation which will ask you when your flight leaves. You will then be assigned a color tag for your luggage. Ask at the Purser's Desk when they anticipate that color being called. If you don't think it's early enough, you can decide (up to the last night) to go off the ship with your own luggage. In this case, you would not use those color tags and would not put your luggage outside your door on the last night. This will all be explained onboard, so don't worry if we confuse you!

Welcome to CC, you will find a wealth of information here, so have fun reading!

So, what's your rush to get off the ship? With that late of a flight time, you don't need to get to the airport until around 11:30-12 noon. The airport is about a 30 minute ride from port, the ship generally has everyone off by 10 am, you will end up with time to kill at the airport.

Unless you can pack in one lightweight carry on and no other bags, I'd not do the self-disembark. Sure you may be able to get off quicker, but it's a hassle that I don't care to repeat after our one experience with it. I'm not a pack mule and the ship is crowded with bags, it's sometimes hard to get an elevator and you end up having to haul things down stairs.

Lock your suitcases (cable ties or TSA locks), set them out the night before disembarkation, have a leisurely breakfast and wait for the rushing crowds to leave the ship. It has never taken us any more than 5 minutes to find our suitcases.

Don't worry about the no transfer thing, a cab is probably cheaper and quicker. I'm not sure about Seattle, but sometimes the bus transfers drop you all off at the same point, not individual airlines. A cab will take you right to the airline you are flying.

Archived