Need Motion Sickness Advice

luv2gocruzin

Hubby and I are sailing on the Majesty in Jan 08 and have read and been told the water is rough sailing out of Charleston. Would love to get some advise on what some of you have taken to prevent motion sickness and side effects from what you took.....what has worked best for you? Thanks!

We went on Majesty out of Charleston in February '05, and it was just a little rough. We hugged the FL coast going down, which was nice because the cell phone worked, and there was more to see.

If you have rough seas, it is likely to be in the Atlantic legs of the trip. Staying close to shore can minimize the problems.

Regarding motion sickness, they dispensed pills for free at the purser's desk. This was all I needed. Other people wore patches on their neck. The doctor onboard can also give a shot in extreme cases.

They have doggie bags placed in the public spaces in case you have to barf.

Begin to take motion sickness medicine a day or so before your trip. I took 1/2 of a bonine tablet in the am and pm everyday throughout the trip and it worked great for me - thanks to CC suggestions. I get motion sickness everywhere (car, train, boat, plane) normally, but didn't on our cruise.

I also drank ginger ale onboard and it seemed to settle me. Just be sure it's real ginger...not artificial flavoring.

You have many options, as you may know, but my daughter and I took Bonine at the suggestion of some friends who cruise regularly and it worked like a charm. The side effects are basically mild drowsiness, but much less than dramamine. Some swear by natural ginger pills which have no side effects, and others use the patch but with that I've heard that there are after effects to consider.

Have fun! :)

shell03, that sounds like a great idea...do you know if Bonine is the same thing as Meclizine?

Meclizine is the generic name for Bonine and less expensive. Agree you should take it before sailing (25mg. for children and smaill adults and 50mg for the big guys). At the first sign of queasiness, take a ginger capsule (available in any health food store, no side effects). Try to get out on deck the first sea day and walk to get your "sea legs." Fresh air is always better than staying indoors. We've sailed out of New York every winter for years and have never had really rough seas. It's the luck of the draw.

Enjoy your cruise.

The best thing to use is the patch behind the ear. It is Scopolamine. This is a perscription from a doctor. If you know your doctor, they can usually write the perscription with out seeing them. It is also called Transderm.

The following is some good info....:)

Transderm Scop®

• Generic Name: scopolamine,
    pronounced skoe-POL-a-meen
    Transdermal Therapeutic System

What Is the Transderm Scop® System?

• The Transderm Scop® system helps to prevent the nausea and vomiting of motion sickness for up to 3 days. It is a round adhesive patch that you place behind your ear several hours before you travel. It also helps to prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with the use of anesthesia and certain analgesics used during or after many types of surgery. If the patch is to be used in conjunction with scheduled surgery, it is applied the evening before surgery. For cesarean section, the patch is applied one hour prior to surgery to minimize exposure of the unborn child to the drug. Wear only one patch at any time.

Bonine worked great for us on the CP in January. We started taking one tablet at night a couple of days before the cruise, then every night before bed on the cruise (I slept like a log). I had read that others suggested taking them for a couple of days after the cruise. We did that and never had any motion sickness. I did try the ginger capsules but they gave me severe indigestion. I would suggest that you try whatever method you choose a couple of weeks before the cruise to see what effects, if any, you have.

Have a great cruise!

I tried the patch a few years ago on the Star to Alaska. Wow, was I ever sick. Had every side affect listed on the box. Dry throat (felt like I had a huge gob of cotton batten in there), dizziness, blurred vision etc. I went to see the doctor and he advised me to take it off. Well that drug stayed in my system for 3 more days. So much for having fun on that cruise. I would avoid the patch like the plague. Instead, I have switched to taking the ginger pills, gingerale, chamomille tea, green apples (this is what the crew suggested) and of course the famous sea bands. They are wrist bands which work on the pressure points and have no drugs in them. I swear by them especially on my trip from New Zealand to Australia when we ran into a tropical storm and the waves were so high that they went over the front of the boat (some say that we could of overturned if the ship was any smaller). They are not a fashion statement, but they sure do work, and they are only approx $12 for the pair (which must be worn on both wrists).

Ginger pills worked for me during really rough seas so I gave them to my folks and they started taking them 10 days before their cruise and they said the seas were calm but they never had any problems and my dad gets motion sickness easily. I have never taken them before boarding before but I am going to before our NY's cruise. We are leaving from Miami and chances are high that we may see some high seas before the end of the cruise.

Karysa

I get motion sickness really bad. I was nervous about my cruise last week, but did lots of research and decided ginger was the way to go. I read online that myth busters did an experiment with 2 men and the motion sickness machine thing at NASA. They gave them all kinds of seasick remedies/medicines, such as Dramamine, seabands and ginger. Ginger was the most effective.

I bought it at a Health foods store. $9 for a bottle of 60 wafers. The directions said to chew them, but I couldn't stand the taste so I swallowed them. DH chewed them and didn't think they were bad. We started taking them the day before getting on the ship and continued taking them all week. The waves got to 7.5 feet one night, which I don't think is that much, but I really felt it. I went through a lot of beer that night.

When we went on a pirate ship excursion, I took an extra one just in case. I was glad to be taking them b/c I would have surely been sick after the car ride up the mountains in Dominica.

Anyone considering using the scopolamine patch would be well served to try it at home before cruising. The adverse reaction can be very scary . . . remember that this drug was used as a "truth serum" in it's first life.

I am prone to motion sickness and have tried several remedies to ward off seasickness. The one that works for me is the patch. I get a prescription from my doctor which is for 3 patches and cost about 30.00. I personally only experience a slight headache the first few hours after I put it on. After that I am fine and we have been in some very, very rough seas (the shows were canceled and outside walking restricted) and I never got sick. I even enjoy an evening drink and wine with dinner with no problem.

I did try Bodine once, but found it made me sleepy, so now I used it on international flights to ward off airsickness and help me to sleep.

My daughter-in-law used the used a seasickness band when she was pregnant and did not want to take any mediction. I worked for her, although the seas were not too rough.

Hope this help and hope you have a great time on your cruise.

Keep smiling and sailing!!!:)

sailingmickey

I suffer from terrible motion sickness and though I won't claim to be an expert I will give you my opinions here.

I have tried the scopalamine patch. It made my motion sickness worse.

Definitely try this before sailing to watch for adverse reactions. Also my friend swears by it but she has to change hers every 2 nights instead of every 3.

I usually take bonine. My doctor told me that I can safely take twice the dosage on the over the counter package and I should be fine. Check with your doctor if you intend to take more than the recommended dose.

The only thing I can say about the shot is be prepared to be high as a kite for several hours if you have to get it. The nice thing is you won't know that you are seasick anymore :) I had to get it once and it is very expensive but if you are that sick it is well worth the money.

Bonine (meclysine) comes in a once a day pill form. We take it ,starting the day we board, every night for the first day or two and then continue if the seas are rough. If I feel a bit queasy, I take a ginger capsule or drink ginger ale. Works for me every time with no side affects. As a nurse, I do caution you to try whatever treatment you decide on for a few days before sailing to be sure that you are not prone to, sometimes, uncomfortable or severe side affects. And be careful of the amount of alcohol that you drink when taking medication that causes drowsiness.

Both my sister and I use the prescribed patch with no side effects. If you decide to use them know this:

• Keep the patch on for 3 days
  • On the fourth day - place the patch on the opposite ear. This is important because if you place them behind the same ear you will get over medicated and have very strange side effects.
  • Patches can be worn while swimming, drinking, etc.

Ginger has the advantage of not having side effects, so if it works for you, that might be the best way to go. If you enjoy the taste of ginger, you can also try it in candy form.

I tried the patch a few years ago on the Star to Alaska. Wow, was I ever sick. Had every side affect listed on the box. Dry throat (felt like I had a huge gob of cotton batten in there), dizziness, blurred vision etc. I went to see the doctor and he advised me to take it off. Well that drug stayed in my system for 3 more days. So much for having fun on that cruise. I would avoid the patch like the plague. Instead, I have switched to taking the ginger pills, gingerale, chamomille tea, green apples (this is what the crew suggested) and of course the famous sea bands. They are wrist bands which work on the pressure points and have no drugs in them. I swear by them especially on my trip from New Zealand to Australia when we ran into a tropical storm and the waves were so high that they went over the front of the boat (some say that we could of overturned if the ship was any smaller). They are not a fashion statement, but they sure do work, and they are only approx $12 for the pair (which must be worn on both wrists).

Many years ago I had a similar reaction to the patch. I felt 1000% better after I removed it (while onboard). If you decide to try it, do so prior to your trip so you can make sure it agrees with you.

Archived