Seattle Getting to Space Needle

cruzingduo

We will be on the Radiance of the Seas, docking 1 day in Seattle and would like to do the typical touristy things (well we are tourists!).

How easy is it to get to the Space Needle? Is there public transportation that could take us there?

Also, we want to walk around Pike's Market and maybe do the Underground tour. What are we missing? Most importantly, can we do the needle on our own or should we stick with a ships tour that takes us there and does some touring of the city (but no stops).

Any highly recommended places for lunch? (sandwich, fish, or burgers)

Thanks.

You should be at pier 66 and from there you can walk to the Pike St Market. Take a cab to go to the Seattle Center, where the Space Needle is. It is a very short cab ride to the Center, and waiting for public transportation can take a long time. You only have so much time in port and it sounds like you have several things that you want to do. My advice is to take a cab and spend more time seeing the sights.

You should be at pier 66 and from there you can walk to the Pike St Market. Take a cab to go to the Seattle Center, where the Space Needle is. It is a very short cab ride to the Center, and waiting for public transportation can take a long time. You only have so much time in port and it sounds like you have several things that you want to do. My advice is to take a cab and spend more time seeing the sights.

Thanks, we have been told we are docking at Pier 91.

Just be sure the monorail is working. When we were there last September it was not.

They haven't started on Pier 91 yet, so unless they can do some serious building you will probably be at Pier 66, that's where the Vision has been sailing out of.

As for the monorail, I would NOT catch it, too many problems the past few years, breaking down on the tracks, a fire and then last year a little fender bender with the other train.:o If you want to save a little $$$ catch a bus on the corner of 1st and Pine (#15 or18) just let the driver know you want to go to the Seattle Center, you will get dropped off at Key Arena and the fare is about $1.25 per person.

I had heard that the work on Pier 91 is running behind. It is currently owned and run by the Navy. It is in the middle of an industrial area North of everything. You will need to catch a cab to go anywhere, or hopefully some type of ship shuttle. Pier 91 is a very large comples and if it is still run by the government, you may not be able to walk out of the area with out a shuttle. The area around the outside of the gates have nothing. You will be lucky to get any type of transportation, unless the cab companies know there is a ship and will provide that for the passengers. here is a link to a small map of the area:)

http://www.portseattle.org/about/maps/centralharbor.shtml

True that you won't be at Pier 91 - that will be next year or later. From Pier 66 you can walk across the pedestrian overpass then turn left on the first street (I think Elliott), follow the crosswalk to the south to get to the Pike Place Market - be very careful crossing the street as it is the entrance to Hwy 99 southbound.

To get to the Space Needle and Seattle Center area you could walk across First Avenue and you can take either the 16, 3 or 18 metro bus.

From the Space Needle I'd find a cab if you want to tour Underground Seattle as it's at the other end of the city. You can take a bus back to the Market and walk down the waterfront Pike Hill Climb stairs to go back to the waterfront for a number of restaurant choices.

There is so much to do.....you can take the Elliott Bay Water Taxi over to West Seattle and have lunch at Salty's for a wonderful view of the Seattle Skyline.....horse and buggy ride through Pioneer Square and International District.....duck tour through downtown, waterfront and into Lake Union for sites of the houseboats.....

Have fun!

True that you won't be at Pier 91 - that will be next year or later. From Pier 66 you can walk across the pedestrian overpass then turn left on the first street (I think Elliott), follow the crosswalk to the south to get to the Pike Place Market - be very careful crossing the street as it is the entrance to Hwy 99 southbound.

To get to the Space Needle and Seattle Center area you could walk across First Avenue and you can take either the 16, 3 or 18 metro bus.

From the Space Needle I'd find a cab if you want to tour Underground Seattle as it's at the other end of the city. You can take a bus back to the Market and walk down the waterfront Pike Hill Climb stairs to go back to the waterfront for a number of restaurant choices.

There is so much to do.....you can take the Elliott Bay Water Taxi over to West Seattle and have lunch at Salty's for a wonderful view of the Seattle Skyline.....horse and buggy ride through Pioneer Square and International District.....duck tour through downtown, waterfront and into Lake Union for sites of the houseboats.....

Have fun!

The 16 and 3 actually run along 3rd Avenue.

Is there much walking required in a tour of the space needle? My parents would nejoy the view, but I don't want them to have to climb too many stairs.

If you catch a taxi there is a pull up drive which is a short walk to the Space Needle. Once you are at the top of the needle there are plenty of seats if they get tired. If the weather is like it is right now you wouldn't be able to see anything from the needle, but grey clouds. On a clear day the views are wonderful.

Had our annual trip into Seattle and stopped for lunch at Ivars. Still good after all these years. Sure the outside Fish Bar is tasty, but inside we got some perfectly cooked salmon and a great seared ahi salad with a good well-matched glass of wine and the fun of watching the tourists trying to hand-feed the seagulls. (Toss, don't hold the fries, they look like fingers.):D

Is there much walking required in a tour of the space needle? My parents would nejoy the view, but I don't want them to have to climb too many stairs.

Nope. They'd take an elevator to the top. There's an observation deck and, one floor up also by elevator, a restaurant. The view is fantastic.

Actually, I believe you will be at Pier 91. I looked at the Seattle port schedule and the only date Radiance is here is Sept. 23rd. There will be 4 ships in town on Sept. 23rd (only 3 cruise ship terminals). Sun Princess and Noordam will be at terminal 30 and the Norwegian Pearl will be at Pier 66. I believe that Radiance will be at Pier 91 which will eventually be the site of the new terminal in Seattle that will replace terminal 30. If that is the case then you are not really close to the Space Needle or downtown. Pier 91 is an old Navy base and not walking distance to really anything of interest.

According to the Port of Seattle's website, the following ships will be in Seattle that day and here is what piers each of those lines are currently using:

NCL Pearl - Pier 66

Holland American Noordam - Pier 30

Sun Princess - Pier 30

Radiance of the Seas - currently the Vision of the Seas is sailing out of Pier 66 each Friday - I copied this off of the Port of Seattle's website, so I would be very shocked if you are not a Pier 66

Royal Caribbean offers seven-day cruises to Alaska on the Vision of the Seas departing the Bell Street Pier at Pier 66 every Friday. So unless something changes I would think it would be Pier 66 where you can get off of the ship and walk to most of the popular areas.

The new terminal at pier 90/91 has been delayed another year to 2009, but that doesn't mean that a ship can not dock there for the day. I have never seen 4 ships in Seattle at one time so it will be interesting to see what they do. Radiance will be the "odd man out" as the other three ships are based here all Summer and will be disembarking/embarking passengers and need the terminal space. Don't believe they can fit two ships at Pier 66, but maybe they can since Radiance wouldn't need to use the terminal building. Have you contacted Royal Caribbean or the Port of Seattle to ask what pier you will be at?

The new terminal at pier 90/91 has been delayed another year to 2009, but that doesn't mean that a ship can not dock there for the day. I have never seen 4 ships in Seattle at one time so it will be interesting to see what they do. Radiance will be the "odd man out" as the other three ships are based here all Summer and will be disembarking/embarking passengers and need the terminal space. Don't believe they can fit two ships at Pier 66, but maybe they can since Radiance wouldn't need to use the terminal building. Have you contacted Royal Caribbean or the Port of Seattle to ask what pier you will be at?

Very good point, they may use pier 90/91 for the Radiance ship. They had a few of the military ships there this past weekend for Seafair so it can be done. I would call as C-Cruise recommended.

Here is someone you may want to try emailing - this is off of the Port of Seattle website:

Michael McLaughlin , Manager, Cruise and Dock Services

Port of Seattle

Phone: (206) 728-3453

E-mail: mclaughlin.m@portseattle.org

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise and stayed in Seattle for a couple of days afterwards. Took a taxi from the Pier to our hotel, Rennaisance Hotel, which we obtained through Priceline, and then walked to were we could catch the Gray Line, double decker bus. It stops at 7 different places around Seattle, including the Space Needle, Pike Market & Pioneer Square, Buses run ever half hour and you can get on and off as often as you wish. There is a commentary as you drive around the city. Adult fare is $19 and you ride the second consecutive day for free. We found it was a great way to see the city.

Archived