532 members have voted

1. 1. Choose as many as you like

• A good cruise director makes my cruise
    • Without a good cruise director my cruise is ruined
    • I see the cruise director on deck and around the ship a lot
    • I don't much care if I have one or not
    • I've never had a good one so I wouldn't know

Graham-

Oh no.... I am heartbroken that you are leaving Princess! We my husband and I got home from the CB last July, one of the things we missed the most was turning on the TV each morning watching your morning show!

You, my friend, are first class - and we wish you the best as you embark on the next chapter in your life... we can't wait to find out where to see you next!

Cheers!

We sailed the Grand back on 11/03 Tim Donavan was the CD and was very good. The person I most admired was Charlie Sleeth at the piano bar. Has anyone seen him lately? Cruising the DP on 4/2/05 and would be thrilled if Charlie were on board!

/

[quote name='LARGIN'][font=Comic Sans MS]I have no idea on who any of the CD's were on any of my cruises... :D[/font][/QUOTE]
LARGIN -- Don't you go to any of the shows? The CD's always serve as EMCEES. We don't participate in any of the games or programs run by the CD's, but we really do enjoy their input at the shows. They are an integral part of the crew and are the ones responsible for making announcements about various matters. We've been on three cruises with Alastair Greener as CD, and his morning TV show is really funny -- his quick sense of humor is a delight. Also, Alastair is very, very visible around the ship and always has a ready smile and hello. I'm glad Seymour will still be on board when we sail in Feb. Heard much about him.

Echoing Nick's question - Where is Charlie Sleeth? We sailed the Grand 9/03 and never left the Promenade piano bar any night to seek entertainment elsewhere, because Charlie had us singing and reminiscing with his music. Anyone seen him lately?

[quote name='KAJOKG']LARGIN -- Don't you go to any of the shows? The CD's always serve as EMCEES. We don't participate in any of the games or programs run by the CD's, but we really do enjoy their input at the shows. They are an integral part of the crew and are the ones responsible for making announcements about various matters. We've been on three cruises with Alastair Greener as CD, and his morning TV show is really funny -- his quick sense of humor is a delight. Also, Alastair is very, very visible around the ship and always has a ready smile and hello. I'm glad Seymour will still be on board when we sail in Feb. Heard much about him.[/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkred]I realize who and what they are and do go to the shows. I just feel that their participation is a non-issue as I go to see the entertainers not the CD. As for their morning show on TV, I am usually out of my room in the gym or wandering the deck. I feel the the ACD's do most of the work anyway. CD's might be a draw to some people but not me. That is my personal opinion and I do not base a cruise on who the CD is..[/color][/size][/font][/i]

[quote name='LARGIN'][i CD's might be a draw to some people but not me. That is my personal opinion and I do not base a cruise on who the CD is..[/color][/size][/font][/i][/QUOTE]

Gotcha. They are really not a draw for me either, but since they are there, I do enjoy their input. Would I go on a cruise without a CD. Of course...you bet!!!

[quote name='KAJOKG']Gotcha. They are really not a draw for me either, but since they are there, I do enjoy their input. Would I go on a cruise without a CD. Of course...you bet!!![/QUOTE]

[i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkred]Much better to be friends with the Maitre D' anyway.. [/color][/size][/font][/i]:D

[quote name='KAJOKG']Would I go on a cruise without a CD. Of course...you bet!!![/QUOTE]No CD, no entertainment staff, no entertainment. Not for me, thanks.

For all the fuss about CDs' personalities, you shouldn't forget that their main job is the management of the entertainers and of the cruise staff. A good CD will make [U]all[/U] of the entertainment and activities on your cruise good.

[quote name='LARGIN'][i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=darkred]Much better to be friends with the Maitre D' anyway.. [/color][/size][/font][/i]:D[/QUOTE]
LARGIN - There you go, being logical again!!!

GLOBALISER -- I understand the value of a cruise director and I really enjoy their input on a ship, even though I don't participate in activities. What I meant is that I like cruising so much, I would go even if there were no CD's. However, I would rather be on a ship with these hard working folks making for a smooth and fun trip!

Good luck to you Graham. We loved you on the Golden and were so looking forward to seeing you again on the CP. We don't sail until March 12th. I am truly disappointed you won't be there.

Who will be your replacement? IMO it will be hard for them to replace you.

Leanne

Good Luck Graham,
I can't believe you are leaving before we sail on the CP in April. Before booking, I called Princess to make sure you would be there, as you were the main reason we booked that ship!! We enjoyed you so much on the Golden. My 12 year old daughter still talks about how fun you made our cruise.
Best wishes in your new challanges.
Lofty

[quote name='rumbaLiz']"but that British accent finally got to both of us. For some reason Rob, British accents send our nerve endings into total shut down after having to listen to one for almost two weeks "

Maybe Americans need to realise their accents get to us Brits too

Cruising is not just for an elite USA market even if Americans think it is

Sloppy dressing in the dining room gets to me too ........the whole point of a cruise is the one chance of being able to dress smart for dinner because restuarants etc on land have become so full of scruffy dressing

HI.. just got home from the Jan. 28th sailing of the Sun Princess and must say how much we enjoyed Dan Gibbons as our CD. We loved his sense of humour..he kept us laughing all the time. He and his staff seemed to be everywhere at all hours.

Cheri:)

[quote name='Mike A'][COLOR=Red]I too feel that the CD has not meant much on a cruise with one exception, Carnival's John Heald.
John is to Carnival what Graham Seymour appears to be for Princess.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely. My dh and I had Graham on our cruise with Carnival in 1999 and thought him to be fantastic. If he introduced himself and learned your name, he never forgot it. We even got video of him standing with arm around dh, telling all my husband's friends about dh falling on his butt during one of the pool games and flirting with the waitresses. Dh showed that to everyone he could. We were both totally blown away by his singing. During the talent show, he sang when one of the participants got stage fright and wouldn't go on. That is something I will never forget. :)

As for John heald, we had him on our cruise last September on the Carnival Glory. Again, first time with him and at first he was annoying, with the accent, but after awhile he kinda' grew on you. He was in his element the extra 2 days we were out (due to the hurricanes). We couldn't have asked for a better CD under the stress and strain of wondering what would happen.

I had heard that Graham was back on the Caribbean Princess and was looking forward to seeing him again, but then heard he was leaving. Does anyone have the scoop on whether he is onboard October 8th cruise? Would love to have him as CD.

Good luck Graham, we just sailed with you Jan 29th on the CB and you were a hoot. I'll never think of a thong in the same way again. Didn't see you wandering the ship much, but that's ok, you did a great job with all the entertainment on board and you even slummed as emcee for the horse racing on the day we couldn't go to Princess Cays because of the sea conditions.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the Island Princess now (2/22/05). Richard Joseph is Cruise Director and Susan Rawlings is Deputy Director. We met them both at a Cruise Critic gathering the first day at sea. Both are very interested in the passengers and the idea of a good time for all. Richard was CD on the Coral last year when we sailed to Panama and did a fantastic job. His presentation on Where Are They Now? is a must see. Princess is fortunate to have both of them on staff.

[quote name='ssbeagle']That wouldn't by any chance have been Chris Nichols, would it? We had him on our first Tahitian Princess cruise and he was by far the best CD we have ever had on board. Graham Seymour is very good but can be a bit outrageous at times. I really liked Chris because he got involved with the passengers and made certain we enjoyed ourselves. He also has a terrific singing voice as well as not telling any stale old jokes which I have heard from other CDs.[/QUOTE]Yes, that was Chris Nichols. The best CD I've had on any cruise. Anyone know where he is right now?

Archived