Is Mercury suitable for Hubbard Cruise

halfbakedAlaska

As a firm fans of Celebrity my party travelled from the UK to Vancouver and excitedly boarded Mercury for the Hubbard cruise on June 22nd. We were aching to see the Hubbard Glacier close up and personal and on the morning in question followed two RCCL ships into the bay. Both of these ships travelled gracefully to the glacier face and remained there for some 30 minutes. Mercury however slowed to a halt some miles from the glacier face in what the onboard announcements called the "bay of disenchantment". This became something of a sick joke when after a few minutes we then turned around and headed back out of the bay. Imagine our disappointment!

As we headed out a HAL ship sailed straight past us and right up to the glacier face. The mood on the Mercury at this time was one of poorly disguised rage. The conversations over another fabulous dinner were of little else.

Bay of disenchantment indeed.

We were later advised that Mercury has a technical constraint with her thrusters and cannot risk entering the bay if there is significant sea ice present. Perhaps it is me, but since this was billed as a Hubbard Glacier cruise, one might reasonably assume that the ship was actually capable of entering the bay under what I assume to be fairly normal conditions.

My advice is to cruise with Celebrity if possible but avoid sailing on Mercury in Alaska.

Back home now in the UK and we still ache to see the Hubbard.;)

I can't comment on your particular cruise, but our Mercury cruise July 27/07 we were very close to the glacier, I believe within 1/2 mile.There was quite a bit of ice that we had to navigate through but once we were about a mile from the glacier there was no ice at all.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/9307175419-1186685570-22255/preview/page/1/15/

Overall we were very happy.

Sorry that you did not have a similar experience.

My advice is to cruise with Celebrity if possible but avoid sailing on Mercury in Alaska.

You are advising people to choose M-Class ships (notorious for their pod-problems) over Mercury which does not have pods. I was on Summit last year and didn't get anywhere close to the Hubbard, possibly due to pod problems.

Hubbard is a bit of a crapshoot. What we seem to be seeing this year is that the Captain of the Mercury is somewhat more trepidatious (whether through natural demeanor or corporate directive) than some other captains about getting close to the glacier. One of the RCCL captains, on the other hand, seems to be a bit of a cowboy and a risk taker.

For me, I would want a captain who places safety as his highest concern. If there is any risk at all, I'd rather miss the close-up glacier experience. On the other hand, that requires excellent judgement, as I don't want to miss out just because the captain is being unnecessarily cautious...

What we seem to be seeing this year is that the Captain of the Mercury is somewhat more trepidatious (whether through natural demeanor or corporate directive) than some other captains about getting close to the glacier. One of the RCCL captains, on the other hand, seems to be a bit of a cowboy and a risk taker.

It was the same with the Infinity last May, when we stopped seven miles from Hubbard Glacier. I've read somewhere else on this board that RCCL ships such as Serenade of the Seas are able to adjust their pods inward so that they can sail through loose ice without too much risk. However, doesn't the Infinity have similar pods? It might have been a Celebrity corporate directive to err on the side of safety where Hubbard Glacier is concerned?

Donald.

We were on the same cruise as you and I'm not sure if you were looking at the water or not but there was a HUGE amount of ice in the water and I for one was happy that the captain used common sense and did not put the passengers in any jeopardy.

Possibly you should warn people about traveling in June. If we were to go back again it would be the end of July or August but even then, there are no guarantees.

BTW, the 2 ships that got much closer have different propulsion systems and they were able to protect their engines by turning them in. Mercury does not have this system and again, I believe the Captain used common sense to keep us all safe.

Hi, I was on Mercury in May 2006 as well and it was

fabulous:). I can't remember exactly how close we got to

the glacier but I know I had a wonderful week:)

Quote:

"My advice is to cruise with Celebrity if possible but avoid sailing on Mercury in Alaska".

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. I had an awesome time and

went back on Mercury this March and I am sailing her again

in 2 months:)

Is it October yet?:D

We sailed on Galaxy in June 1998 and on Mercury in July 2006. Both times we were very close to Hubbard Glacier (perhaps closer on Galaxy). We had our whole family with us last year and everyone agreed it was fantastic. In fact our son and his wife were invited to the navigation deck and saw it with the Captain.

I agree that it's not the ship, but likely the water conditions. We had been warned the day before that how close we would get was uncertain due to ice in the water, but, somehow, when we got there there were small pieces of blue ice floating in the water but apparently not enough to make it unsafe. I'm sad for those who were disappointed but I know from experience that if conditions are right Mercury can get close.

It was the same with the Infinity last May, when we stopped seven miles from Hubbard Glacier. I've read somewhere else on this board that RCCL ships such as Serenade of the Seas are able to adjust their pods inward so that they can sail through loose ice without too much risk. However, doesn't the Infinity have similar pods? It might have been a Celebrity corporate directive to err on the side of safety where Hubbard Glacier is concerned?

Donald.

It really must depend on the conditions and the captain. When we sailed on the Infinity in May 2005 we were within 1/2 mile of the Glacier and then sailed around the island (starboard side when approaching the glacier) to exit the bay. We were told by many of the crew that it was the best day at Hubbard Glacier they had ever experienced.

Jerry

Gosh we must be goobers, but even from a distance we thought it was pretty cool on our our June cruise on the Mercury.

The only thing we noticed as a big difference from 14 years ago on the Rotterdam, was that we didn't see any wild life on the ice. When we were there 14 years ago we so way more otters and seals as we approached the Hubbard on the Mercury in June 2007.

Gosh we must be goobers, but even from a distance we thought it was pretty cool on our our June cruise on the Mercury.

The only thing we noticed as a big difference from 14 years ago on the Rotterdam, was that we didn't see any wild life on the ice. When we were there 14 years ago we so way more otters and seals as we approached the Hubbard on the Mercury in June 2007.

oops!, sentence didn't quite make sense. What I meant to say was that we saw otters and seals when we were there 14 years ago, and we didn't see any when we were there just this last June. I don't know why that would be?

What I meant to say was that we saw otters and seals when we were there 14 years ago, and we didn't see any when we were there just this last June. I don't know why that would be?

On the recent July 27 Mercury cruise , it was announced that baby seals were on the ice in front of Hubbard Glacier. I peered through my binoculars, but neither I nor the passengers around me could discern them.

Donald.

Strange but we just had our friends comment that their neighbours had the same experience on Mercury described by halfbakedAlaska. They want to cruise to Alaska next August with us but have been warned to stay away from Mercury because of the ship's inability to go close when other ships did so without any problems.

We have experienced Alaska on Legend and got quite close a decade ago. This is not the first complaint on this board about their Mercury experience. Sure life on the ship is great but if you pay to see the glacier then I'll be on a ship that can get me close to the glacier. Whether ship design or captain's decision is the source of the complaint we'll be on a cruiseline such as RCI or HAL that will take us where the advertising promises. Some people get within 1/2 mile, others within 7 miles. Of course ice can be a threat but if it's the ship design that can't negotiate the waters, then use a ship that can navigate like the competition... and keep the warm water ships in the Caribbean.

I am sorry you had a bad trip. We went with Mercury to Hubbard on the July 27 trip. It could NOT have been nicer. The ship came within 2000 ft of the ice face for great views.

The Holland America ship ahead of us did appear to get within maybe 1000 ft which I thought was a little close given the 300+ feet of ice over our heads. I think the Mercury captain played it right.

Cruise ships are designed for ice-free water - it's always a gamble given the ship and the sea. Newer pod ships can be disabled by ice and thrusters like those on the Mercury can also have problems when large ice blocks are in the water.

The quality of travel on the Mercury to Alaska is so high, I have to disagree with you. It was the best vacation we have ever had and we would recommend it to anyone.

Archived