Luggage question

kasualkathy

• Administrators
Do you travel with a garmet bag for your formal wear?

I have, but I don't always. It depends on the itinerary and what other clothes I need. Most often on cruises I take a large rolling checked bag, and a 20 inch bag that I can either check or carry on, depending on what else I have. For formal nights I don't take a "gown" that requires extra special treatment -- I carry an ankle-length black skirt (usually I take my velvet, though sometimes I take my silk one) and a couple of very sparkly tops with sequins and such (not lurex). Those fit very well and travel very well in luggage that has to carry clothing, snorkel gear, an over the door shoe holder, power strips, and other "necessities" for the entire cruise. I have used the drycleaner plastic bag method before, too, and it works well for clothing prone to wrinkles -- but my Old Reliable velvet skirt and spangly tops simply don't wrinkle; it hasn't been needed for them. I should note that for formal events at home, I do have a couple of true "gowns," but I don't want to worry about them on a cruise -- hence the other options.

We take a garment bag for our dressy clothes, a large duffle for him, a pull suit case for her and you should always pack an empty bag that will lay flat in the bottom of a suitcase for those unplanned purchases and also for the last night after all of the bags have been picked up.

We always take 2 suitcases and a garment bag. I put an empty duffel bag in the bottom of my suitcase so we'll have it for souveniers to go in. He takes the garment bag and 1 suitcase. I carry on the camera equipment in 1 camera bag, and he carrys on a fanny pack for the little things we need (gum, etc). This way on the way back home, we have 2 pieces of checked luggage each, (suitcase & garment bag for hime, suitcase & duffel bag for me), and the fanny pack & camera case as carry on. Almost hands free getting on the plane, as close as bringing nothing onboard the plane as possible..........for us anyway.:)

We almost always use our garment bag... however it is one of those OMG bags from London Fog (About 10yrs old now) with multiple compartments that one person can easily pack for a week in. We also take a suitcase and a 20 in carryon.

I can pack a ball gown in a suitcase but have never figured out how to get a man's suit out of a suitcase in wearable condition. If you want to skip the garment bag, take advantage of the laundry services on board & send the formal wear out to be pressed. It's not that expensive & well worth the price for not having to carry extra stuff.

We use to travel with a garment bag but found it a pain to lug around. Now we pack gowns and tux in our suitcases and hang up as soon as possible to help the wrinkles fall out. So far - so good. We are packing now for a cruise in the Med and our clothes will be in the suitcases for a least a week before we need them. If too wrinkled we will use the laundry service.

Kathy:)

My garment bag is quite large and attaches to my large rolling suitcase. We can pack DH's suit, my formal wear plus several other hanging garments in the garment bag. There are outside pockets for shoes and more folded shirts (I have the cleaners box his shirts).

We can pack for the week in one suitcase, the garment bag and one carry on, plus my purse. We walk right by people with multiple suitcases each and additional carry ons each. I sometimes wonder what all they are packing :eek:

We always take a garment bag, but we have a rolling garment bag that actually holds alot and has other compartments and plenty of space for shoes, etc. I guess it works more like a rolling suitcase. We purchased it from the samsonite/american tourister outlet store a couple years ago, but I'm sure they still make them. It's a very nice bag and very roomy. We easily fit my three gowns, my husbands two suits and two sportcoats as well as my husbands shirts and a couple of my dresses with no problem for our last cruise we went on last year. I've also taken it on a three night business trip one time and it held everything I needed with no need for a suitcase. It's a very versatile bag. We have the old flimsy type garment bag, but in my opinion they are more a pain to travel with especially if you are flying.

I just went out today to buy one of those nifty new garment bags on rollers that can hold almost as much as suitcase. I love it. Well worth the $100 I spent on it. Plus it's pink, my favorite color and hopefully easy to spot when mixed in with hundreds of other people's luggage.

My suitcase has a garment bag-type area built into the top (inside) of it, so I will be using that. It's no different from a separate garment bag - has the hook for the hanger(s), the padded holders for keeping the garments held down where the garment area bends, etc. Just is one less piece of luggage to own and have to deal with! :)

Archived