Noordam LIVE: August Adventure in Alaska

purplenorway

Those are beautiful sunset pictures. Oh, how I miss the Noordam. Have a great cruise. Try room service for breakfasat one day. It's great and will come on time and just as you ordered it.

Lisa, you re so lucky to be going back on the Noordam. Which itinerary do you follow this time?

I'm packing for my vacation in the Berkshires. No formal nights. Some country club casual when we go to the theater and the rest pretty informal, although no shorts or t shirts at dinner. At Tanglewood, they come to sit on the great lawn and take in the beautiful music of the Boston Symphony and they dress in all sorts of clothes. Everything and I do mean everything goes! Then they wrap themselves up in blankets and sleeping bags to keep warm. The people who go into the great tent and pay a lot for the seats are still dressed informally. But since it gets cold at night, most wear pants.

And with all that, I wish I were cruising!

.... Our dinner is at 7:45 on the lower level of the dining room, table 191. The upper level is supposed to be traditional dining, which we requested, so I’m not quite sure what we will be getting.

... At dinner last night, there was a line of people waiting for the open sitting, but we went past them to find our traditional dining table. Apparently there were more people than usual who wanted traditional, so they allowed some to be on the lower level. ...

Becky: I'm glad you got the dining arrangement you wanted, and are having such a lovely time! If you have a chance, would you be so kind as to see whether you can find out whether what happened on your cruise is likely to be the norm - i.e., that if a lot more people on a particular cruise want traditional than will fit on the upper level, they will add more traditional tables on the lower level? If that's really going to be standard procedure, it would put a lot of minds at ease to know it! ;)

Thanks, and I hope your cruise just keeps getting better - enjoy Alaska!

Lisa, you re so lucky to be going back on the Noordam. Which itinerary do you follow this time?

Carol, we are repeating Alaska. Had to return to the Noordam while she was still here on the West Coast. That is why I am so interested in Becky's thread:)

Is Shane still the cruise director? He was great. Gosh, looking at those pictures reminds me so much of my cruise on the Noordham last week.

Tuesday you should be at Glacier Bay and they stop at a big glacier and watch to see if any calving occurs. That day was cold.

Glacier Bay

I woke up early this morning. Who knew I would recover from jet lag and a sleepless night so quickly. I’m in the Crow’s Nest right now. All the front chairs are taken so I am sitting in one of the throne-like seats instead. The naturalist is pointing out the giant snowcapped mountains that are appearing through the haze ahead. He says we are spoiled with this weather today in Glacier Bay. He explained that there is a North wind and a high pressure system which means we will have nice weather for a few days. We have seen many whales and dolphins.

On the elevator yesterday, a server from the Pinnacle Grill, who was on her way to the Neptune Lounge, came on with trays of pastries and chocolates. She let everyone in the elevator sample a chocolate. It’s the little things like that that make you feel special.

There was a low turnout for high tea yesterday. The Hotel Manager, Rene Tuniman, who we met on Westerdam, appeared and we got a chance to say hi. He and a posse of head waiters were pacing the buffet of goodies, deciding what to do with all that extra food.

A couple joined our table for dinner last night. They were very fun and chatty. I had the great Beef Wellington and chocolate soufflé. Most people were dressed up for formal night, but there were a few in hooded sweatshirts and even shorts (brrr!).

We went to the Captain’s Champagne toast at 10pm in the Vista Lounge. I missed having the opportunity to meet him as was done in the past. I spotted a row of handsome officers in the lounge. I thought “Wouldn’t it be fun to have a picture with them?” So I worked up the guts and went over and asked just that. They agreed and I sat in the middle. All attach those pictures. Then I jokingly said, “Can I just stay here?” They said sure. So, we chatted and I asked each one where they were from. The Captain went on stage and introduced his staff. The engineers next to me said that they were going to stand up for the Chief Engineer and employee of the month, so I joined them. It was very cool. What gentlemen they were! The show was “If These Walls Could Rock”. I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed my seat even more!

I'm loving it here and the best part is that it is only the 2nd day! Can’t wait to see those glaciers!

Officers.jpg.e9d36d30ecc204089d010379cf3e582b.jpg

Officers2.jpg.2ad5be5a7203f73a678cbd63a2518334.jpg

Becky! Thanks for keeping us posted. I love your photos and it looks like you ended up with the best seat in the house!!!! All those nice looking guys. ;)

Say Hi to your Mom & Dad from us - looking forward to hearing (and seeing) more.

How was the Galley tour?

Becky, I agree with Laura, you definitely had the Best Seat in the House:) I so enjoyed our day at Glacier Bay and cannot help but be thinking as I work that I will be there again just 4 weeks from right now:D

Thanks so very much for taking your time and money to report in. You know those of us here on land are enjoying this very much.

Becky,

Will be on the 9/23 cruise and can't wait!! It's our 20th wedding anniversary and second time to Alaska so will be partying. Would like to know if you can find out who's in the Piano Bar and who the DJ in the Northern Lights is. Maybe, if we're lucky, someone we've met on the other HAL cruises. Also who the Cruise Director might be.

BTW, your picture with the guys is GREAT!! From what I heard, there isn't your normal Captain reception with photo ops.

PS. I see behind you is a guy in a T-Shirt on formal night. I miss the class of cruising. You of course are CUTE!!

Nan

If you have the time, can you tell me what movies are playing in the Theater? I was also wondering if they offer lemonade as a drink choice. We have a child sailing with us who has some allergies which make drinking many fruit juices out of the question. Of course, these are kind of silly questions in the grand scheme of things, but if you happen to have the answers that would be great!

Thank you!:)

No question is a silly question. Everyone here are really helpful. We have not sailed on HAL yet until Sept. They do allow you to bring some items onboard. Lots of people bring water, soda, and wine. Also you can call guest services ahead of time and they may be able to help you, because its a child with allergies. Good Luck, have fun.

WaveSongs

As we entered Glacier Bay, I stood on the bow for whale watching. Some whales surfaced very close! It was funny to watch everyone rush from starboard to port and back and forth as whales were spotted all around. We followed the Ryndam.

It was a perfect day and the spectacular views changed by the minute! The glacier was beautiful, but we only saw some minor calving. No big chunks fell off like I’d wished for. We watched on the Promenade deck towards the aft where it was almost deserted and very quiet so we could hear the cracking sounds of the glacier.

Two guests needed medical attention as we left the bay, so a lifeboat was brought down to the Promenade, they were put on, lowered down to the water and taken to a waiting helicopter. Watching this made us late for a cocktail party in the Explorer’s Lounge. We only chatted with the Hotel Manger and then had to go to dinner.

I had macaroni and cheese as an appetizer; this was certainly a step up from the stuff that comes in the box. I also had the brisket of beef, which was kind of bland. Maybe some of you remember having the warm chocolate truffle cake for dessert in the past. It is basically my favorite dessert in the world, but I have not seen it on a HAL ship for a while. I asked two different head waiters if it was on the menu this week. Both said no, but they would talk to the chef and see if it could be made for me. At lunch yesterday, we talked with Second Executive Chef Rob Van Leeuwen, who is the one in the photo from the galley tour you are curious about. The truffle came that night, but it was certainly not warm. In fact, it was not even cooked through. It looked like a blob. Our waiter brought us cheesecake and said he would order it again for tomorrow night. Our head waiter said he would make a note to make sure it was done. I am very impressed that they would try making it for me, twice!

Glacier.jpg.bc76321795ced4cf7ba9b471498723c4.jpg

Ryndam.jpg.fa7bf1ad2118eccd8b0c8027a7e01bc0.jpg

Juneau

We took the Best of Juneau tour. First we stopped at Mendenhall Glacier. We walked a trail by the creek to watch bright red salmon. Then a mother black bear and her two cubs appeared! She caught a fish and they ate it in the bushes. One cub walked right below the bridge we were standing on, then went on the trail. We were so close! It was crowded with people, but fantastic! I spent the whole hour there and only took three photos of the glacier.

Next, we went whale watching. The catamaran was very nice. Comfortable seats inside and viewing platforms on the top decks. We saw seals and humpback whales. The Captain took us close to an eagle perched on a tree and its nest nearby where two eaglets were sitting.

Finally we stopped at the Salmon Bake. I am not a fish person, but I had to try the salmon and actually it was my favorite thing because it tasted like chicken. I also liked the cornbread. There was a trail along the creek and a waterfall at the end.

We got back in town and went up the Mt. Roberts Tram to hike the trails where we where attacked by flies. The view was nice. When we were back by the ship an eagle was on top of an archway on a dock. We were able to get close; he was very photogenic.

The Warm Chocolate Truffle came again at dinner! This time, it was perfect; warm with a liquid center and served a la mode. It was heavenly! I could have hugged the chef who made it.

Sitka

It was another sunny day! Some seals or otters surfaced during the long tender ride. We walked around and took photos in an interesting cemetery set in the woods. We are just leaving. Tomorrow, in Ketchican, I will find a place with Internet and answer all of your questions. Talk to you later!

Bear.jpg.6d47d87f1c067c2328d1baace4557a7d.jpg

Eagle.jpg.5e38b28981635539aa3c0c3904582f5a.jpg

This is such a great thread to read because I'm going on the same trip in two weeks on the 2nd of Sept. I can't wait! Reading all this fun stuff is making me really want to go right now!

I do have a question for you. Since I'm going Solo I was wondering if I should go with the dinner that is assigned to me or go with waiting in line for the table and eat whenever I want. I would hate to be at a table all alone if I did the assigned time eating.

I'm interested in knowing what the movies are too. I think it will be so fun to go to a movie and watch it while feeling the room moving.

What is the weather like? What type of clothes are best for the days you dock and go on trips?

I'm so jealous of your getting so close to the bear! I hope I see something so exciting as that.

Thanks for posting. Sounds like you are having a blast.

Where do you post from? Did you buy Internet time? Do you bring your own computer?

Joanne

I do have a question for you. Since I'm going Solo I was wondering if I should go with the dinner that is assigned to me or go with waiting in line for the table and eat whenever I want. I would hate to be at a table all alone if I did the assigned time eating.

As someone who cruises solo all the time, let me jump in here.

I suggest you do everything in your power to have a set dinner time/table. When you travel alone the knowledge that someone familiar will be waiting there to talk about your day is very comforting.

So long as you all agree to let each other know if you make plans that preclude being at the table one night you have little fear of being alone. Much less than under AYW, for certain. If the evening comes that everyone else has other plans you can make other plans, too (Lido, Pinnacle, etc.).

Ketchikan

It rained this morning and there were low clouds. The sun came out briefly. We walked around Creek Street and did some shopping. I liked Mai’s Gifts where a sweet lady sold me a beautiful shell pendent necklace that she hand painted. We went also went crazy buying t-shirts in the other shops. There is a building directly across from our cabin that says “Internet” in the windows, imagine that. I asked for the price; it is $6. I hoped it would be free. So I checked my wireless signal back in the cabin, it is strong. I bought it online instead for $5 for one hour.

I'm glad you are enjoying this thread! It has been fun reporting in!

Archived