Dilemma: Upgrade JS Special or Stay With Friends

Fitz this is for Jan 08 Mariner not our cruise in Feb 09.

I am in a E1 hump room on that cruise.

I'll be hanging out in your suite so I don't need an upgrade..:eek: :D

In looking back at our invoice we paid $1063.00 including taxes for our E1 cabin for Jan 08 cruise.

The listed price now for E1 is $1119.00 plus tax and that is what I thought we paid.

If I got the JS upgrade senior citizen discount it would be 574.00 more total.

I am thinking we have a JS on the Monarch for April 08 for $1300 total. We are getting the JS then in order to get a balcony cabin. By not getting the JS on the Mariner we could pay for half that cruise.

I am trying to be practical. But I wanted the JS so bad on the Mariner.

If we were only going to pay $360.00 more for JS I would do it right now..but $574.00? I know $1299 plus tax is a great deal for a JS though.

Please be some practical people out there telling me I am doing the right thing to use the money to pay half my Monarch cruise and stay in the E1 cabin. My DH will go along with me either way but his thought is as long as we have a balcony cabin he is happy.

One thing I have learned I am always only going to book a hump cabin no matter what type of cabin it is.

Ok so right now I am not going to do it.:(

Laura

Does it make you feel better if I tell you that we paid an extra $2000 plus tax to upgrade to the GS on Mariner? lol. But I do agree. You could spend that $574 on better things. And the balconies on Mariner are nice, so no need to worry.

And who say's you are spending your time in our suite? lol. I guess I will have to post open hours. Thank god Andrea booked the GS next to ours. I can just send the overflow to her. :D

Does it make you feel better if I tell you that we paid an extra $2000 plus tax to upgrade to the GS on Mariner? lol. But I do agree. You could spend that $574 on better things. And the balconies on Mariner are nice, so no need to worry.

And who say's you are spending your time in our suite? lol. I guess I will have to post open hours. Thank god Andrea booked the GS next to ours. I can just send the overflow to her. :D

Hey don't forget who is serving breakfast.

You promised all of us quite a spread.

We all have your number so open hour signs are not gonna do much good. I'll just put my old nursing cap on and tell the stewart it's an emergency and he'll let me in.

We'll be glad to go to Andrea's too.:) Laura

Hey don't forget who is serving breakfast.

You promised all of us quite a spread.

We all have your number so open hour signs are not gonna do much good. I'll just put my old nursing cap on and tell the stewart it's an emergency and he'll let me in.

We'll be glad to go to Andrea's too.:) Laura

Yes, yes! The breakfast! How could I forget! I will do a nice breakfast one morning. But I think it will be standing room only. Not a big table in the GS. Damn! Do I need to upgrade to the OS now?;)

Yes, yes! The breakfast! How could I forget! I will do a nice breakfast one morning. But I think it will be standing room only. Not a big table in the GS. Damn! Do I need to upgrade to the OS now?;)

Oh yeah and I am worried about $500 plus. Go for it Capt. The Capt should have the best suite available don't you think?

Laura :)

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have not done anything yet.

So here I am sitting and wanting to upgrade while my DH watches all these money shows on cable. Not good.

They are talking about people spending too much money, and not saving enough.

I will just have to go on the Monarch 4 times in a JS.

Laura

Look at it on a per diem basis - the Monarch is only a 3-night cruise costing you $400 per night. 7 nights on Mariner at $1299pp is $371 per night. I haven't been on Mariner, but I'm sure the JS on her is a whole lot nicer than the one on Monarch - have been on her 10 times, mostly in JS cabins.

I'd take the upgrade even at $600. Over 7 nights, that's not even $100/day!

Rationalize, rationalize...

By all means upgrade to that JS. You'll appreciate the extra room with the walk-in closet and also the tub in the bathroom. You'll also have extra room for entertaining. Don't worry about being away from your friends because you will need a little time to yourselves and besides, you will see them at all the activites. Probably you will be seated at the same dining table, and you might do some excursions together.

Also, if you are trying to get to the diamond status faster this is a great and cheaper way to do it. Otherwise, to get another point you would have to totally pay for another cruise.

Go for it!

Please help me make up my mind.

We are on the Mariner in Jan 08 E1 cabins in a row on Deck 8 with friends and family in group status.

There is a senior discount for JS now $1299.00 pp. Normally $1499 pp.

I am paying $1119.00 pp for E1.

No one age 55 or older wants to upgrade. Most are not quite 55 yet. If I would upgrade I would be in a location away from everyone.

However, no one is trying to obtain Diamond Status which is my goal. I am just starting out.

I would get credit for 2 cruises in a JS.

It would be a larger room if we get together.

DH says do what I want but we are thinking will we be sorry being seperate from everyone else? We would be on Deck 9.

Any feelings on the subject would be appreciated...

Thanks Laura

If you are going with family and/or friends, then I would stay with the family and/or friends. What is more important to you, one (more) credit or your family and/or friends?

OK..if I do it should I take JS 9618 - 9624 - 9628 - 9630..

I am starting to be swayed to do it.

Keep up the good work..

Laura

Laura, I will be on the Mariner next week in JS 9624, I will let you know how wonderful it is. I would probably take 9618 if I had the choice, it is a little closer to the middle of the hump. I am sure either will be wonderful!

Cheryl

You are not with your buddies!

What are you giving up? 1 minute while you walk to your cabin versus walking to their location?

U P G R A D E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone but I did not upgrade and cabin 9618 is gone.

I decided to use the money toward my 4-08 cruise and to hopefully book one more cruise next year.

I'm disappointed but I know I did the right thing.

I'll get there someday.

Thanks for all the great input. It means alot.:)

Laura

I decided to use the money toward my 4-08 cruise and to hopefully book one more cruise next year.

I'll get there someday.

Laura

Awww, my first thought was SCREW the friends. :eek: ;)

I have to say that usually when I book with friends and family, they are FULLY aware that I will not have a room near them. They don't like to pay for suites and I don't like inside cabins. This has never been a problem in my groups.

I would have taken the extra cruise credit, no doubt.

I'll get there someday.

Laura

I think you made a good decision. When we cruised with family last year I contemplated getting a JS (my parents purchased 5 E2's) it was a lot of fun being next to everyone, I think we would have felt left out if we were two floors up.

Have fun planning :D

###

Awww, my first thought was SCREW the friends. :eek: ;)

I have to say that usually when I book with friends and family, they are FULLY aware that I will not have a room near them. They don't like to pay for suites and I don't like inside cabins. This has never been a problem in my groups.

I would have taken the extra cruise credit, no doubt.

I see a simple solution to this issue:

1) Get them to purchase an inside cabin on the deck with all the suites.

2) Surprise them by secretly upgrading them.

Well you know I have a balcony cabin not an inside cabin.

DH and I decided we would never cruise without a balcony due to claustophic feeling.

I admit I still am torn but holding back on JS.

It is the extra cruise credit as well I was considering.

I plan on collecting those on the Monarch JS for weekend getaways.

Oh well...

The cabin I really wanted is gone anyhow.

Laura

Archived