Dilemma: Upgrade JS Special or Stay With Friends

Please help me make up my mind.

We are on the Mariner in Jan 08 E1 cabins in a row on Deck 8 with friends and family in group status.

There is a senior discount for JS now $1299.00 pp. Normally $1499 pp.

I am paying $1119.00 pp for E1.

No one age 55 or older wants to upgrade. Most are not quite 55 yet. If I would upgrade I would be in a location away from everyone.

However, no one is trying to obtain Diamond Status which is my goal. I am just starting out.

I would get credit for 2 cruises in a JS.

It would be a larger room if we get together.

DH says do what I want but we are thinking will we be sorry being seperate from everyone else? We would be on Deck 9.

Any feelings on the subject would be appreciated...

Thanks Laura

Upgrade! You'll be with your friends for plenty of time on the cruise - dinner, other meals, excursions you've planned jointly, poolside or whenever you decide to meet.

We never travel next door to our travelling companions. We like to have a complete escape where it can be just the two of us and just meet up for cocktails and dinner in the evening. Then we can share our day's events with each other. If we happen to run into them onboard or end up on the same excursion, that's fine, too, but we need a little private time, too. Other people prefer that kind of closeness, so your DH is right and it really is up to you as to what you want to do, but for $180pp, I would jump on that deal. In addition to the C&A benefits, you will really love the extra space in the JS.

Id take the Junior suite like a shot :D Think of those cruise credits and the extras you'll get in a suite (im assuming you'd still get a balcony?) . After all you will be spending plenty of time with family and friends all day, it'll be nice to go back to your lovely suite and think of those points you have added towards future cruises.

Chubbas XX

I am on a cruise with a bunch of friends too, and I left all of them to upgrade to a GS. Not even a question for me. Those that want to be closer can upgrade (one couple did) and the rest I will see plenty. Not like they are on a different ship. They are just an elevator ride away. And with your suite, they will all want to visit YOU!

I am on a cruise with a bunch of friends too, and I left all of them to upgrade to a GS. Not even a question for me. Those that want to be closer can upgrade (one couple did) and the rest I will see plenty. Not like they are on a different ship. They are just an elevator ride away. And with your suite, they will all want to visit YOU!

Fitz I knew you would come to my rescue with this.

And thank you Chubbas and everyone else for your input.

Which JS should I take then?

I hope my fellow cruisers in Jan understand if I do this.

Laura

Absolutely do the upgrade. Even if you are right next to each other the only way to communicate would be by hanging over the balcony and chatting.

And you will have more room to host a little get together with them.

9618 is very nice, second choice would be 9624

Fitz I knew you would come to my rescue with this.

And thank you Chubbas and everyone else for your input.

Which JS should I take then?

I hope my fellow cruisers in Jan understand if I do this.

Laura

HA! I didn't even realize it was you! Your new name confuses me. lol.

Take one on Deck 10 and be close to us. lol. Otherwise, take 9618. Great location.

OK..if I do it should I take JS 9618 - 9624 - 9628 - 9630..

I am starting to be swayed to do it.

Keep up the good work..

Laura

TAKE CABIN 9618, HUMP CABIN ALERT!!! :D You will be able to see the entire side of the ship.

Fitz this is for Jan 08 Mariner not our cruise in Feb 09.

I am in a E1 hump room on that cruise.

I'll be hanging out in your suite so I don't need an upgrade..:eek: :D

In looking back at our invoice we paid $1063.00 including taxes for our E1 cabin for Jan 08 cruise.

The listed price now for E1 is $1119.00 plus tax and that is what I thought we paid.

If I got the JS upgrade senior citizen discount it would be 574.00 more total.

I am thinking we have a JS on the Monarch for April 08 for $1300 total. We are getting the JS then in order to get a balcony cabin. By not getting the JS on the Mariner we could pay for half that cruise.

I am trying to be practical. But I wanted the JS so bad on the Mariner.

If we were only going to pay $360.00 more for JS I would do it right now..but $574.00? I know $1299 plus tax is a great deal for a JS though.

Please be some practical people out there telling me I am doing the right thing to use the money to pay half my Monarch cruise and stay in the E1 cabin. My DH will go along with me either way but his thought is as long as we have a balcony cabin he is happy.

One thing I have learned I am always only going to book a hump cabin no matter what type of cabin it is.

Ok so right now I am not going to do it.:(

Laura

OK. I'm with you. $574 extra would be too much for me, too. An E1 is a perfectly nice, balcony cabin. JS has significantly more room, but if you're going on another cruise so soon afterward, and that $574 will pay a hefty chunk of the next cruise (and in a JS) . . . I say you're making the right choice. Stick with the current booking and enjoy.

When traveling with others, our cabins are all over the ship as we all take different accommodations. That is the beauty of a cruise. One couple takes an OV, some take the balcony and one takes an OS. It has never been a problem if our rooms are not close to each other.

I've read other posts where one compromised cabin location and type only to have the traveling companions back out.

Take the room you want!

Enjoy

M

Archived