Does anyone know if princess officers host tables in the dining room?

aliceind

We got off Emerald Princess yesterday and throughout our 12 night cruise I didn't see a single officer in our restaurant.

We were on anytime dining so it may be plausible they only go to the fixed dining restaurant.

Peter

The only time I've seen officers in the dining room has been on the old Royal Princess and then the Sea Princess when they had dinner with Mrs. Ardtz. Having just returned from a HAL cruise where the entire center of the dining room was empty for 15 of the 18 days of the cruise, and with officers using the tables for a select few for the other few days, IMHO, it's not appropriate to single out a few passengers out of many for "special" treatment in front of everyone else. I overhead one of the people saying, "I have no idea why we were asked."

We were on the Tahitian in July 2006 & had an officer dine with us nearly everynight. He was an assistant engineer or something like that.

Also, about 8 years ago, we had the Staff Captain and his wife dine with us most nights on the old Royal

The last time that we had an Officer at our table was twelve years ago,

aboard the Sky Princess. Just for one evening.

From what we recall, they sat at different tables every evening.

Actually back then (I know because I was head of the wine department on the Sky on & off for several years and therefore responsible for officer wine orders) certain tables in the restaurant belonged to particular departments and it was up to the head of that department to assign an officer to that table for each individual cruise. However some officers enjoyed hosting tables and would show up to dinner on most formal or semi-formal nights, others would perhaps only attend say 1 dinner under duress, or in some cases due to work schedules struggle to make it to their tables other than the first formal night. Officers had a special wine account so they could buy the table wine on at least the first formal night in the hope that passengers would return the favour on following nights. Most junior officer tables would have passengers randomly selected but more senior officers (notably Captain & D.C) tables would be mainly suite passengers or even hand picked guests or regular repeat passengers. This system was still in place on the Sky until 1998, but this was when the wine stewards were phased out and I'm not sure if the tradition survived the demise of the full wine steward service as that's when I hung up my tastevin.

They don't seem to do it at dinner since the advent of anytime dining. We have been invited to luncheons since then. Last month we dined with the staff captain and the chief engineer. I was surprised to see 2 of them at our table, especially since it was only a table for 6.

Archived