How do you really feel about formal nights?

MercedMike

How do you really feel about Formal Nights?  

610 members have voted

1. 1. How do you really feel about Formal Nights?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

Hi, D. :D

Cute post, my love!

But..... nope! When the 4 of us DO get together, we'll have a Pajama Party on Formal Night! :p

:p:eek: Trust me, snookums, you do NOT want to see me in my "Pajamas." Not even for a formal night party! The Rev dubed me a "Harry Twink" and that's about right. <hehehe> So, while I'll stay fully clothed, I wouldn't mind joining the party (though not early on a Formal Night because I like go out and play on Formal Nights ... perhaps later, though?)

:p:eek: Trust me, snookums, you do NOT want to see me in my "Pajamas." Not even for a formal night party! The Rev dubed me a "Harry Twink" and that's about right. <hehehe> So, while I'll stay fully clothed, I wouldn't mind joining the party (though not early on a Formal Night because I like go out and play on Formal Nights ... perhaps later, though?)

It's a date, baby! :D

Thank you, Reverend Greg, for your very kind defense. I didnt intend for you to do that when I e-mailed you, but I appreciate it greatly. Your one of the kindest men I know, and the only clergyman I know who doesnt think Im going to hell. For that if nothing else, thank you.

You're very welcome, David Mijn Vriend!

I hope all is going well with you and yours. Shoot me an email when you get the chance; I sent that itinerary to your office email this morning.

Ohhhh, Geez! It just occurred to me that a post that I had directed towards "TECH" referred to her as "D".

Never fear....

You shall be invited to the Pajama Party. (Most likely held on the Topless Deck) ;) Seriously.... glad you're back. You seem like a nice guy.

Ill make you a deal. You join us at the dining table on a casual night. Jeans are fine. Well have a blast.

It would be a pleasure to join you, baby! (It doesn't even have to be "CASUAL NIGHT".... we're cool with dresses/3 piece suits.... just discovered that we didn't "NEED 'EM". :D

Ohhhh, Geez! It just occurred to me that a post that I had directed towards "TECH" referred to her as "D".

Never fear....

You shall be invited to the Pajama Party. (Most likely held on the Topless Deck) ;) Seriously.... glad you're back. You seem like a nice guy.

No-No, you are turning into a damn social butterfly.:D

Glad you're back, David..... sincerely. :) (I didn't think that my "sweetcheeks" reference freaked you out. ;)

I'll bet that Ruthie would LOVE some chocolates!

****edited to say..... the Rev. mentioned that you were having a tough way to go (personal life stuff) in his original post... hope all has perked up, handsome. :)

Thanks

Its not been fun around here lately and I need to get out and a way and let Mitch (my partner) have some breathing room after this past weekend. :eek: He and I are patching things up and coming to common ground on issues, which has been long need (thanks to the Revs advice). Mitch and I have been together 4 years, but we're only now coming to grips with what it means to be a "couple."

You're very welcome, David Mijn Vriend!

I hope all is going well with you and yours. Shoot me an email when you get the chance; I sent that itinerary to your office email this morning.

Dank, Vater. I got the e-mail but had to run before I could answer. Ill shoot your answer back tonight.

On a related note, I saw you had changed your cabin assignment on the E-Dam and will now be in the same cabin for both cruises. Congrats!

Pretty good, Rev! or Dominee (in Dutch)

Dank, De Ambtenaar van de politie.

I've been working with Rosette Stone. It's tough. Every time I see a construction I think "ah, it's like German" and then discover "NOPE ... it's more like English!" :D

What confuses me the most are the linguistic Old Frisian roots and their cognates and parallels in English. Additionally, I may have to forget half my German in order to learn Dutch. :D

Dank, Vater. I got the e-mail but had to run before I could answer. Ill shoot your answer back tonight.

On a related note, I saw you had changed your cabin assignment on the E-Dam and will now be in the same cabin for both cruises. Congrats!

Thanks, Dave. We couldn't turn it down ... two cruises for the price of one? One doesn't need much arm-twisting to agree to that! :D

Dank, De Ambtenaar van de politie.

I've been working with Rosette Stone. It's tough. Every time I see a construction I think "ah, it's like German" and then discover "NOPE ... it's more like English!" :D

What confuses me the most are the linguistic Old Frisian roots and their cognates and parallels in English. Additionally, I may have to forget half my German in order to learn Dutch. :D

It's not an easy language to learn and has borrowed words from just about anyone who has ever been part of its history; the English, French, Germans, Spanish

"Dank" usually gets "je wel" (informal) or "u wel" (formal) put behind it so it becomes "dank je wel" or "dank u wel" which both means Thank you! You can also say "bedankt" (less formal)

"Ambtenaar van Politie" is cool! My dad was a "Gemeente ambtenaar" in Amsterdam (worked for local government). Keep up the good work and let me know if I can be of help with words or sentences. Check this out:

http://www.taalthuis.com/course/beginners/les104.html

For yor friend Dave, "father" is spelled "vader" in Dutch

And thanks, Chocholate Lady.

If I could, I would buy you chocolates!

Happy to see you back, Dave. :)

And who knows---maybe someday you'll get a chance to make an offering of your pillow chocolates at my altar! :D Stranger things have happened. ;) Have you considered the first or second (or both) cruises of the E-dam?

Having lugged along the formal attire causes one to feel so much better on that second formal night, while making the grand entrance down the curving staircase into the dining room and to the Captain's table to enjoy the special treats served only there.

True, not many cruisers get the invitation to do that, and probably many cruisers couldn't care less if they don't.

However:

1. This is one of the grand traditions of cruising.

2. The hope of being chosen for the Captain's table makes the prospect of a cruise that much more exciting and appealing for at least a few of us.

3. The Captain and his staff look at their passengers and choose who they would like to dine with, likely based in part on how presentable they are. (I have no idea if the staff has any information on how much money people make or how often they attend formal charity receptions on land.)

4. You can't win if you don't play.

5. If you don't play, that's less competition for me. ;)

The Captain and his staff look at their passengers and choose who they would like to dine with, likely based in part on how presentable they are. (I have no idea if the staff has any information on how much money people make or how often they attend formal charity receptions on land.)

Well now I know why HAL asks for a copy of my audited Balance Sheet and Income Statement when we book our cruise. :rolleyes:

Golfette....they're not real pashmina's...no cashmere.

Definitely not real pashmina! - they're rayon or something and crease like mad after the first wash! I have a couple of them - very useful! Can't possibly afford the real thing!:D

Wow, I guess I should choose my words more carefully! Of course we don't CARRY all our luggage, our suitcases all have wheels. I have a set of attachable luggage, but I don't like to use it because I prefer a duffel bag or knapsack to use as a carry-on. So does my husband, so does my mother. As for cross-packing, we agreed a long time ago (or I guess I should say that I set the rule!) that I don't want to cross-pack. And there's no way my mother would either. I've learned over the years not to argue with your mother. Even when you're right, you're wrong!

I think all of us end up packing way more than we need. We always make a list, but circumstances such as weather, availability of the laundry room, can change all that.

Getting back to the original purpose of my post, all I was trying to say was that taking formal clothes does involve extra effort that can be seen as an inconvenience, but for me it is worth it.

Hi SarasMommy - Another Canadian here.........don't have figures to prove it (math was never my best subject!) but seems to me we are very much in the minority on this board - we express ourselves a bit differently from the majority, are frequently misunderstood.......and very quickly taken to task!

Don't let it get to you!

Overall there's much to be learned here!:)

Archived