ms MAASDAM.... Random Thoughts and Comments; August 18 through September 1, 2007

sail7seas

Welcome home Sail and DH and Happy Anniversary! I really missed you and I am so glad that you had a great time. You are so right, the Maasdam is a beautiful ship and we all loved her very much. The staff, each and every one, could not have been better. I remember one evening, my hubby and I were just walking around the ship and the captain walked by. He stopped and smiled and asked how everything was. We were just so impressed with him, what a great captain! We had one night of thunderstorms and he got the ship through it with minimal movement.

We can't wait to sail onboard the Maasdam again! Thanks again for all of your advice!

Linda

Jade..... It is a rare time that DH and I have breakfast in Pinnacle. Last August on Maasdam we did a few times as we were traveling with friends who enjoyed it and we joined them. The Pinnacle breakfast is very nice but we prefer Room Service. We had Room Service everyday..... except on the day we did Immigration Inspection in Bar Harbor, DH wanted an omelette after we were finished with Immigration so we went to Lido.

We had an omelette from Room Service on the Westerdam. I was just curious if they could cook it because I received unedible eggs twice. I never did figure out what was up with the scrambled eggs. The omelette was fine but I decided to stick with cereal & fruit as its much healthier anyway.

Welcome Home Sail & Happy Anniversary...

I've so enjoyed your posts about your cruise..As a little girl, I spent many a summer on the St. Lawrence with a beloved Aunt & Uncle..Mom & I occasionally took the ferry from Ogdensburg (N.Y) to Brockville (Ontario) to shop for special shoes for me..They were so much less in Canada...I remember those times so well & thank you for the memories..

Also so glad to hear that your wonderful Maasdam did not have any plumbing problems.. As you know, we are hoping to do the Bos to Bos next year (our 32nd Anniv.) & will be booking the "cheap seats" (unless of course we win the lottery..LOL) Would hate to think that we would have plumbing problems.. Although I know that does happen from time to time on all ships, (even on our "Prinsendam" cruise) & would never spoil our cruise unless it was a daily problem..

Thanks again for your sharing your cruise with us..

:) Betty

We had an omelette from Room Service on the Westerdam. I was just curious if they could cook it because I received unedible eggs twice. I never did figure out what was up with the scrambled eggs. The omelette was fine but I decided to stick with cereal & fruit as its much healthier anyway.

We like our omelettes cooked well, ordered them that way and that is how they were delivered. Delicious. Eggs are actually healthy foods when eaten in moderation. My cardio has no problem with our eating some eggs sometimes. (Probably not a good idea to eat them daily). Each individual's health needs are individual, of course. I did my share of high fiber cereal and fruit/berries as well. There was a very decent selection of cereal to choose from.

Which reminds me....... I forgot to mention the unbelievably delicious strawberries and blueberries we enjoyed. Wonderful! The fruits were very good. Blemish free bananas; crisp apples; loads of melons.......great.

Another fun/interesting point for us as back-to-backs on this itinerary was that in several ports, we were port to the dock one week and starboard the next.

I thought when we docked port to the dock in Halifax first week how great as I had not expected it. Last year it was Starboard. We love when the pipers come out early in the morning when the ship arrives and a senior gent dressed in his plaids reads a proclamation of welcome. As he ages, I worry year to year when we do this cruise if he is still able to come down to the dock and do this for us. Happily he was there this year, we were port side and enjoyed it. Piper also plays in the evening when we sail away.

The next week when we came, no piper sounds but I knew we were at the dock. Open the curtains to realize we were starboard to the dock. We were still in port side cabin. Then it dawned on me........ERRR

Makes sense they would alternate sides so work can be done on the ship when in port. There is scaffolding which can be used by the sailors to paint, wash, do what is necessary for maintenance. Docking alternating sides gives them the chance to work on both sides of the ship. Alternated sides in Quebec as well. Again......there was a lift they were using to raise sailors up to work on the ship.

That was a down side for KrazyKruizer when she moved. She started on port side, moved to starboard so had the same view in these ports. For us, in Quebec, one week we did not have a view of Old Quebec but the next we saw the beautiful Chateau Frontenac.....even with the green netting on a portion of the hotel. They are doing extensive renovations but she is such a pretty sight from the ship. Same for PEI. One cruise was port to the dock and the other we were starboard.....hmmmm, now I'm wondering if I remember that correctly. Yes... I think we alternated sides.

The dock in PEI may be done sometime in our lifetime but I wouldn't count on it. It seems to be taking a very long time. It was so handy in the past when the ship could pull right up to the dock but the tenders must now be used. It is an extremely short tender ride but nevertheless, it is somewhat less convenient. The ship anchors so close to the shore that from some angles it looks like it is docked.

Speaking of sights from the ship.......

When we were sipping coffee on our veranda early, we watched the Marathon Quebec was sponsoring. It was a gloriously beautiful day and they were running a 42k marathon. So many runners, walkers......wonderful to watch. Ship was so near the road and route of the race we could see without need for binoculars. Finish line was only about 2k from where we were docked.

Also that day in Quebec, there was a Military Tatoo. Incredible. All the uniforms, bands, music. There was unit from Canadian Command and another outfitted wit the Tall Black Bear Skin British Ceremonial Hats/red uniforms. Wonderful. Even for those who never left the ship, they could hear the bands' music.

Our first week in Quebec, we had a wonderful lunch ashore. A friend from the ship met us in Old Quebec and we went the short walk to Le Cochon Dingue. HIGHLY recommend. We all ate different dishes and we all loved our lunch. Our friend had a special pate first he requested of Chef and he said it was wonderful. I hads yearned for a great bowl of onion soup and had that. DH had a combination grilled platter with the best grilled potatoes he's ever had....so he says. I then had a serving of mussels that were amazing. They serve them in a giant pot. Even with help from DH, there was no way I could eat them all. I don't use the melted butter as really want to taste the fish and these were so clean and fresh....a real treat.

Belgium beers were available (and many, many other choices). I had my rare glass of white wine.

DH and friend had apple tartes for dessert but I was happy only with coffee.

This restaurant is owned by same people who own the restaurant at the pier, La Monde. That used to be quite good but comments are less enthusiastic these days.

On the bright, pretty, Marathon Day we visited Quebec, the city was alive with locals out and about on Sunday to enjoy their city and all the activities. Included in those activities was to stay at the harbor along the attractive area by the dock to wave us off as we sailed away. An enthusiastic send off and Captain treated them to three blasts of the horn. All of us loved it.

Thank you Peter/Susan and Betty. Hope these comments are of interest or help. :)

It's really a wonderful cruise and I can't over emphasize how much we enjoy it.

If you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Anyone want lunch in Bar Harbor?

We have been there a number of times and have had lunch here and there. Lots of folks recommend Testa's.....just up the hill from the tender dock. We didn't like it there and walked out before ordering on another trip.

A few cruises ago, we were at the tender dock waiting to return to the ship when we glanced at the restaurant located at the dock.

Hmm....looked fun and they had a guitar player strumming music from way back when. BUT,,,,, has to be a tourist trap. How good could the food be in such a tourist 'sucker' location?

What the heck.....we tried it and now go back everytime we are in Bar Harbor.

Great bowl of steamed clams. Just the right size for two to share before having whatever else each of you want for lunch. I have to tell you, counting how many clams is not my thing so cannot tell you exactly how many shells were in the bowl but it wouldn't matter anyway. More probably than not, if they are so precise with each portion, they would be weighing and not counting. Clam shells all differ in size and thickness (weight) so count would not always be the same. Suffice to say the portion (if anyone really wants or needs to know) is about a little over a pound. (Personal estimate---- I've been making steamers for 40+ years). ;)

The lobsters are fine here. Very fresh but not huge. Price for lobsters in any of these locations is too high but if you want lobster, that is what you pay. They all know what the place up the street and down the corner is. For a 1 1/4 pound lobster at my lobster pound where I purchase them for cooking at home, that would cost me about $5.00. Certainly in a restaurant and with cole slaw/french fries etc you expect to pay more but figure it to be in the $15 + range for that lobster lunch.

It's called The Fish House Grill and has a site at http://www.fishhouse-grill.com. I have a copy of their menu and it is extensive. Lots to choose from for folks who don't want lobster or clams. There is a lunch for everyone offered here. Nice servers. Sit inside or out. Outside is picnic benches with umbrellas and servers are very friendly. As casual as it gets but it is fresh, good food you can safely enjoy. Bar inside and drinks available. Grab a bowl of peanuts in the shell on your way to your table!

Enjoy.

We like our omelettes cooked well, ordered them that way and that is how they were delivered. Delicious. quote]

We just ordered them scambled and they were mush. The only really "bad" food we had.

:confused: What is a scrambled omelette?

I have heard of scrambled eggs, of course, and I have heard of omelettes but I have never heard of a scrambled omelette. Perhaps they didn't know what you wanted either??

:) Carol,

Fill your kitchen sink about half full with water. Add a large sprinkle of corn meal and soak the clams for about 20 minutes. Rinse them very well. That will usually pull out the sand.

Put them in a very large pot.....larger than you expect you need.

Add only enough water to the pot to bring water to about 2 - 3" on the bottom. Turn heat to high, cover pot and watch carefully for the water to come to boil. Reduce heat to medium and keep pan covered. Have to be careful the water doesn't overflow and spill all over the stove. Has happened to me often. :)

They are done when shells are fully opened. Depending upon how many pounds you are cooking, it should take about 12 - 15 minutes or so. Discard any clams that do not open.

Serve with clam broth in cups and drawn butter on the side and ENJOY. We love them!

:confused: What is a scrambled omelette?

I have heard of scrambled eggs, of course, and I have heard of omelettes but I have never heard of a scrambled omelette. Perhaps they didn't know what you wanted either??

Sail, we ordered our eggs scrambled. After having unedible ones for two days, I ordered an omelette, which was fine. By that point I also ordered other stuff such as fruit (the blueberries were great) and maybe even a cheese plate, assuming I might not like the omelette.

"We had an omelette from Room Service on the Westerdam. I was just curious if they could cook it because I received unedible eggs twice. I never did figure out what was up with the scrambled eggs. The omelette was fine but I decided to stick with cereal & fruit as its much healthier anyway."

I have followed your posts about "your" Maasdam over the last few years. This time they have taken on more meaning as I have discovered the rt europe, Boston to Boston. My sister and I have booked the 35 day cruise next July so we are eager for all info about the ship, the the itinerary, and for the transatlantics. Your devotion to the ship and the New England itinerary is inspiring. I yearn for steamed mussels, lobster rolls, lobster stew, and all things fresh seafood!!!!! But most of all I look forward to the trip to "the northern lands.

Carolyn

With the eggs I think it is just personal preference. I like scrambled eggs very soft so the room service scrambled are perfect. I would never order an omelette from rs or in the dining room because I know it would be way too dry and, for me, overcooked. I do get omelettes in the Lido where I can stand there and watch and tell him when to take it off and love them. Of course I only eat very rare beef, also. ;)

Thanks for the report on the Canada/New England cruise.

I will certainly miss hot breakfast via room service in a few weeks when I sail to Canada on the Crown Princess. I have heard that you can write in hot items on the Continental Breakfast order form and usually get them. But I love that HAL treats all cabins to hot room service.

also did you bring your wine onboard to enjoy?

We will stop in Halifax and Saint John, NB. Does anyone happen know of Acadian sights fairly close to the cities? I am of Acadian descent and would love to visit and take photos for my Mom who is Pure 100% Cajun. My research shows that most of the Acadian museums are several hours from the ports.

sorry to highjack Sail's thread. But she does get a big audience with her incitiful reviews.

Thanks!

How exciting you have booked that wonderful cruise, Carolyn. Everyone always loves that itinerary with Maasdam.

Happy Cruzer..... :) No...... We did not bring any wine aboard with us. But we certainly enjoyed our fair share of wine during our cruises. ;)

A few comments about dress and dress code. Anyone who is tired of the subject, I understand and invite you to 'tune out'. :)

Our first week, upper level, 8:00 P.M. seating, we found most people made an effort to be presentable and on formal nights adhered to HAL's definition for dress code. I saw almost no one I would have hoped would have been asked to go change and not be admitted to the dining room.

Not so for the second week. I saw things I had never before seen in both the Dining Room and Ocean Bar.

There were two men seated near us whose demeanor clearly stated...... don't bother telling me what to wear. Jeans and polo shirt for formal night and it was just too bad about anyone who didn't like it. The women seated with them were only slightly more appropriate.

If it continues in that style, I predict within a year even I will stop carting tuxedo and dresses. What is the point?

If the ships are going to call it formal night, enforce it or don't have it. I hope those in Seattle will make a firm rule and tell the ships exactly how they want it approached and handled. Tell us pax to lug formal wear and mean it or do not.

When I entered Ocean Bar after dinner and saw straight in front of me a group of 7 twenty something year olds lounging at two of the cocktail tables in their shorts, t shirts, flip flops on the floor and dirty bare feet up on the arms of the chairs. Two 'gentlemen' and one 'lady' were slumped in their chairs, glasses in hand and literally draped themselves from the side of one chair over the arm and back of the next chair.

Seems no one wanted to speak with them about this. Who wants to get into the argument that was inevitable?

When I see that, it really depresses me. How can we keep requesting a certain standard from HAL when this is how our fellow pax behave?

S7S -What you have observed on your cruise and remarked on -is what I feel about the entire debate; it isn't the idea that EVERYONE has to dress to the nines and flaunt their wealth [or lack of] its the DEGREE......It is one thing to wear a cotton skirt/velvet top/flat shoes - or in the case of men; a navy blaser.......and to wear DIRTY clothes/flip-flops and hang your dirty feet on the furniture!!!!! It actually has very little to do with what anyone wears and everything to do with acceptable behavior.

Anne

Sail, on our Maasdam cruise, we only noticed two couples that were not dressed appropriatly (according to what HAL asks) for formal night. One couple wore jeans and the other couple sweat pants and sneakers. Not a soul said a word to them and to be honest, noone really paid attention.

I wore my long gown the second night and although several women wore long gowns, I have decided that I will stick with shorter cocktail dresses for formal night on future cruises. The shorter dresses are much easier to pack:D

Linda

So sorry to hear about the flip flops and bare feet. Did you have a younger crowd on your sailings? Our sailing seemed to have a more older crowd of passengers. There were lots of families with all ages traveling together. I think that this bothered a lot of the passengers on our sailing, they were not happy with the kids onboard. We have been on a lot of cruises and all of us thought that the kids were all very well behaved on this particular cruise.

A few comments about dress and dress code. Anyone who is tired of the subject, I understand and invite you to 'tune out'. :)

Our first week, upper level, 8:00 P.M. seating, we found most people made an effort to be presentable and on formal nights adhered to HAL's definition for dress code. I saw almost no one I would have hoped would have been asked to go change and not be admitted to the dining room.

Not so for the second week. I saw things I had never before seen in both the Dining Room and Ocean Bar.

There were two men seated near us whose demeanor clearly stated...... don't bother telling me what to wear. Jeans and polo shirt for formal night and it was just too bad about anyone who didn't like it. The women seated with them were only slightly more appropriate.

If it continues in that style, I predict within a year even I will stop carting tuxedo and dresses. What is the point?

If the ships are going to call it formal night, enforce it or don't have it. I hope those in Seattle will make a firm rule and tell the ships exactly how they want it approached and handled. Tell us pax to lug formal wear and mean it or do not.

When I entered Ocean Bar after dinner and saw straight in front of me a group of 7 twenty something year olds lounging at two of the cocktail tables in their shorts, t shirts, flip flops on the floor and dirty bare feet up on the arms of the chairs. Two 'gentlemen' and one 'lady' were slumped in their chairs, glasses in hand and literally draped themselves from the side of one chair over the arm and back of the next chair.

Seems no one wanted to speak with them about this. Who wants to get into the argument that was inevitable?

When I see that, it really depresses me. How can we keep requesting a certain standard from HAL when this is how our fellow pax behave?

Sail...since you and DH are such good friends of the HM I am wondering why you didn't bring these things to his attention...particularly in the Ocean Bar which he frequents with both of you??

Archived