So How's the Coffee on Princess

duck512

Thanks for the tip Buddy604. Sounds great and I have to have one. I have about six different coffee makers so I will have to figure out a way to buy an Aeropress and sneak it pass my wife. I will be using it on the Island Princess next March.

I like these coffee threads that crop up from time to time as I pick up some useful info like yours. Out of curiosity I poled this thread and it turns out that 22 posters think the horizon court coffee is horrible - bad - yuk. 16 think it is okay to fine and one thinks it is excellent. All the others were somewhat off subject or didn't indicate any preference.

And for those that report that Starbucks coffee is terrible I have a question. Why do I have to stand in line almost everytime I go into a Starbucks to purchase a cup of coffee?

One of the nice things about the Aeropress is that it's only about $25. I have way too many coffee appliances myself (Tassimo, One:One, french press, espresso maker, and Bodum Santos vacuum coffee maker), but the Aeropress is fast become my favourite.

As to Starbucks, I'm not a big fan of their drip coffee - like others I find it a bit burnt tasting - but I love their espresso drinks. I use their espresso roast coffee in the Aeropress and it comes out just like a Starbucks shot - add hot water and it's a perfect Sturbucks americano.

And for those that report that Starbucks coffee is terrible I have a question. Why do I have to stand in line almost everytime I go into a Starbucks to purchase a cup of coffee?

Why did people stand in line for hours to get one of the new i phones - it's a status symbol thing.

Ron

Compared to Princess their coffeee is the elixer of the gods. I rarely buy coffee there as I hate to spend $3 for something in a paper cup. McD's coffee at a buck is worth it. My French press coffee is usually cloudy but tastes better than P's. I just want brewed coffee and have it delivered to my cabin first thing.

We have found the coffee to be worse than horrible.

Agree with the tea comment...we found the tea at afternoon tea to be good. Tea everywhere else was not so fine. I suspect that they do not bring it to the boil.

I'm confused by the tea complaints. Everytime we ordered tea, we got hot water and a tea bag. How could that be horrible? Its the same way I make it at home.

I'm confused by the tea complaints. Everytime we ordered tea, we got hot water and a tea bag. How could that be horrible? Its the same way I make it at home.

It is the ICED Tea that they serve that is terrible, the hot tea you make yourself with a tea bag is the only way to go. In fact, I make a cup of strong hot tea and then pour it over ice. Yes, the iced tea is bad enough to warrant this extra trouble.

Septrack,

Unless things have changed, unused "Punches" on the coffee card can be used on future cruises. On my last cruise I miraculously found an old coffee card with a few unused punches left, and it was cheerfully accepted. Just ask the bartender and they will know!

Appreciate the response,

Thanks

Mark

just got back from the Crown (awwww :mad: ). I'm usually not a coffee drinker, but would have it in the morning from room service and at night with dinner. Wasn't fantastic, but it was fine.

In the past, if my wife asked me how she looked and I screwed up and said "fine", oh jeez, look out! I asked her why, one time (dumb male I am), and she said "fine" is NOT good. ;)

I no longer say that word..... to anyone...:p

Coffee, coffee, take a sip, this stuff tastes like chicken $*^+. :D

Hi to all. for my 79th birthday, I and my wife have been treated to this wonderful cruise from L.A. to Hawaii Sept 19th. (So we cannot make complaints!)

It is our 9th cruise with princess AND if the same liquid crap, served as coffee, is the same as it was last time, I will NEVER GO NEAR A Princess ship again, because if you cannot enjoy a cup of REAL COFFEE on holiday, it is stupid to go.

Last time we had to switch to TEA to save our sanity.

PLUS the maître d' told me that in all his career he had never had so many complaints as were for this coffee!

Why the company does not change it is beyond my comprehension. Perhaps it is because only the people who DO enjoy real coffee complain!

Norman Howard

A real theaphile wants their tea brewed at the right tempurature with good quality tea.

Princess makes a tea acceptable to palates of average tea drinker used to getting their tea as a bag alongside one of those little metal restaurant teapots with water at about 160 degrees (lawsuits, you know!).

For the best tea, you want either loose leaf, or a large volumous teabag with room for the leaf to expand, and water ranging from about 180 degress (for roobis and tisane) to 205 degrees (for black tea).

The tea makes a difference too. While I don't mind the regular bags of Twinings, for example, the Lipton tea is bridge shavings mixed with sawdust and a leaf or two of tea. :D

For real tea Nirvana, try Mariage Frères Marco Polo Black.

The difference is akin to drinking instant coffee vs. a fresh shot of espresso.

Mike, the pretentious theaphile. ;)

I'm a semi-coffee snob (enough to know Starbucks is overrated and overpriced, but it's not as bad as some people say) and I get a little chuckle when people pack coffee makers..it just seems a little overboard..save the hassle of breakage and weight and buy a coffee card..it's cheaper than buying a 4 cup coffee maker...but to each their own

The tea is pretty bad..I tasted it and immediately went down and bought a soda card..and I usually don't drink soda.

Don't know about the coffee but the tea was classic! Whoever designed Enlish Teatime tea has probably never been to England and defintely never had tea time. I just hope that someone from Princess catering school read the earlier reply about BOILING WATER not just warm. Also, can you spend some money on proper bacon instead of that streaky stuff?

Back in UK yesterday from my cruise, guess what was the first thing I did?

Don't know about the coffee but the tea was classic! Whoever designed Enlish Teatime tea has probably never been to England and defintely never had tea time. I just hope that someone from Princess catering school read the earlier reply about BOILING WATER not just warm. Also, can you spend some money on proper bacon instead of that streaky stuff?

Back in UK yesterday from my cruise, guess what was the first thing I did?

I posted earlier about the water for tea and agree but as regards bacon- just ask in the dining room and you can have "proper" bacon. Well we could on Golden

Just back from the Crown and did a bit of coffee investigating after gagging on my first cup from the buffet. The coffee that you get in the main dinning room, room service, International Cafe, certain bars such as the Calypso is not brewed coffee. It just has more syrup added to make it "stronger". This was confirmed by several staff whose English didn't completely disappear after I asked the question. Someone posted a link to a thermal coffee cup/ press contraption that I will be looking into if I sail Princess again. Also, you can do whatever you like with unused punches on the coffee card. Take them on your next trip, give to someone who will be sailing Princess or better yet give them to a member of the ship's staff.

Archived