So How's the Coffee on Princess

duck512

Ron- You're the only person I have ever seen refer to Princess coffee as "excellent". I like Princess, but coffee isnt a strong point. As BigGuy25 said, it is what it is.

Duck512, yes you can bring a small coffee pot with you. It just has to have an internal thermostat, as most now do. No more of the little stick things that go into a cup and heat it up in 30 seconds (fire hazard). Another option is to just bring a filter cone that sits on top of a cup, then use hot water from the Horizon Court if youre up to a morning trip. Use the paper filters for easier grounds disposal. We tried a 1 qt coffee press this time, but grounds disposal was a hassle.

We never smuggle our coffee maker, just take it right on in our carry on. I bought a new 'cup at a time' drip coffeemaker online recently that has no warming plate, for the shorter 7 day cruise to warmer climates. When we take the cooler itinearys or longer cruises, we bring along a 4-5 cup regular drip coffeemaker and our own coffee.

We never smuggle our coffee maker, just take it right on in our carry on. I bought a new 'cup at a time' drip coffeemaker online recently that has no warming plate, for the shorter 7 day cruise to warmer climates. When we take the cooler itinearys or longer cruises, we bring along a 4-5 cup regular drip coffeemaker and our own coffee.

Did you try the King of Cups card when you were on the CB? We did. It was fine for Mochas & Cappucinos & such for the DW. Actually, I thought this was one of the more worthwhile "new" items being offered.

Never have purchased a coffee card on Princess. We are the type that the coffee needs to be there when we first get up in the AM. So, in our robes out on the balcony having our coffee getting ready for the day is our routine. We don't like to have to go down to the coffee bar, or other bars for coffee in the monring.

I personally got into this coffee thing before one of our cruises. I researched, strategized, etc on how I could get good coffee every day since I read that the coffee was so bad. As it turned out, it wasn't such an issue. Not the best in the world, but definitely not worth hauling coffee makers, french presses, etc in your suitcase.

This is just my opinion, but if people didn't have coffee to gripe about, they might bring their own steaks to have the kitchen cook.

Relax. No big deal (even if the coffee isn't that good). :)

Carol & Jim

No Problems bringing a coffee pot and coffee on board. I brought a small 5 cup pot and coffee in those prefilled bags (maxwell house makes them) so that I didn't have to worry with the grounds... just tossed the bag. One bag made 5 cups of coffee.

I thought it was marginal. I enjoyed Carnival coffee, they use those grind and brew machines.

If they could put Carnival coffee machines, ice cream machines, and beds on a Princess ship..it would be perfect! and easy to implement too! Raise my cruise price 10 bucks..it would be worth it

Vanilla - Any idea where you can purchase a one cup coffee maker for the cabin? As the coffee onboard is so bad, I only drink camomile tea but would love a cup of coffee in the morning.

I took my own coffee maker and coffee - best thing I took...I had wonderful fresh coffee every morning on my balcony and I never fretted over not having good delicious coffee. The cabin steward brought clean mugs/creamer/sweet n low every day....I had it made!!!!

The waiters swear this is the same coffee. :confused: :confused:

That's what they told me too, but no matter what they say, there is something different between the buffet coffee and the dining room coffee. My guess is perhaps the dining room coffee is fresher, but really who knows! Here's my take on the coffee.... Buffet coffee - black bile, Dining Room Coffee - drinkable and sometimes enjoyable. Coffee Card - worth the money. I usually drink hot tea at the buffet, since I personally can't get the buffet coffee down. I usually have a cup of decaf in the dining room after dinner with my dessert. (You have no idea what a relaxing treat this is for me!) I found the coffee card to be wonderful for the times when I was just dying for a good cup of coffee or a specialty coffee. It amazes me that some people have found the buffet coffee to be acceptable and even good. Just goes to illustrate the point that opinions are relative and the best way to know about things is to try them yourself. Bad coffee or not, I love cruising, and "It's all good!".:p

Put it this way: I'm leaving on the Crown tomorrow & have opted to bring Nescafe instant over drinking Princess's coffee....THAT's how bad I think it is. This Nescafe is described as a dark roast...was not cheap, so we'll see. Worst case, I'll buy it onboard, but I don't drink specialty coffees, so dont' really need a coffee card.

If you do like Starbucks, which I do, Princess and Celebrity coffee are both terrible, awful stuff! Syrup? Who ever heard of making coffee with syrup? What'd'ya wanna bet the crew has their own espresso maker in the crew dining room??;)

Thanks Vanilla, I didn't think we would have a problem, never have, but things change! Thought about bringing the French Press but the grinds are such a mess. I'll just take the little Mr. Coffee. We have 30 days, I'd be awful cranky after 30 days of nasty coffee.:p

The waiters swear this is the same coffee. :confused: :confused:

That's what they told me too, but no matter what they say, there is something different between the buffet coffee and the dining room coffee.

I would have also said the main dining room coffee was better.....until our 2nd trip on the CB 2 weeks ago. The coffee in the main dining room was not very good at all. I fully believe it is the same stuff served in the Horizon Court.

Ron- You're the only person I have ever seen refer to Princess coffee as "excellent". I like Princess, but coffee isnt a strong point. As BigGuy25 said, it is what it is.

Duck512, yes you can bring a small coffee pot with you. It just has to have an internal thermostat, as most now do. No more of the little stick things that go into a cup and heat it up in 30 seconds (fire hazard). Another option is to just bring a filter cone that sits on top of a cup, then use hot water from the Horizon Court if youre up to a morning trip. Use the paper filters for easier grounds disposal. We tried a 1 qt coffee press this time, but grounds disposal was a hassle.

NthernLgts - I used your solution of a plastic filter cone and filter (Melita) on top of a cup on our last two cruises. It makes a very good cup of coffee. I agree, the coffee press which I also have used is a hassel. Just order hot tea for breakfast and instead of using the hot water for tea just pour yourself a good cup of coffee. Very simple and easy to use and light weight to pack.

Can someone tell me if they provide a pot of hot water with the Breakfast room service to use with the French Press Coffee Maker. Also, do they have tea and what kinds of tea do they have.

If you write pot of hot water on your breakfast tag, they will bring it to you. When I bring my coffee maker, I write in 1/2 and 1/2 on the tag every morning and they bring that. When we had our dds along for our Alaska cruise, I had brought hot cocoa packets and I wrote in hot water pot on the paper on 4 or 5 mornings and it was there every time with our other choices. Very hot too, not lukewarm. But remember to tip them! :)

This was in April, but on Star they had a large commercial size pot of real coffee up between the two food stations forward of the pools. They also had paper cups available (similar to what you get from a coffee shop or starbucks) to take the real coffee with you. It was an out of the way spot, and it was not advertised and once they ran out it was out for the day (it was usually gone by the time I'd go up about 10:30 am). Worth scoping out the first day you're there, esp. if you didn't get a coffee card -don't think cards were available in April.

NthernLgts - I used your solution of a plastic filter cone and filter (Melita) on top of a cup on our last two cruises. It makes a very good cup of coffee. I agree, the coffee press which I also have used is a hassel. Just order hot tea for breakfast and instead of using the hot water for tea just pour yourself a good cup of coffee. Very simple and easy to use and light weight to pack.

Saltwater....amongst other things I am an outdoorsman and wilderness canoeist. I never skrimp on coffee. The plastic Melita cone and filter has served me well many a morning with hot water from a campfire. Coffee quality from this is as good as anything you will ever find anywhere. I like the press too, but they just werent very practical for a cruise.

Archived