ok bare with a newbie..is it REALLY worth it to book in advance?

sammyjones

I have (or my wife has) been talking about taking our first cruise next summer. She (wife) is all worked up that we want to go at a high season and we can get a good deal with the procrastinator sale if we book now. i am thinking why give my money up so early (there are four of us so it is a big chunky deposit) She (wife) claims rates go up not down but i see lots of last minute specials. I don't want to end up in the dog house nor do I want to waste my money, so experts is it best to book early or late? And is this sale really a good deal? how much better is the best inside cabin from the worst? They are all the same basically right? Advice, want to keep wifey happy but my money in my wallet (yeah I know can't have it both ways LOL):D

thanks for your input

ps we live in the northeast so air fare is a factor too

I'd side with your wife on this one if the prices are relatively low now. Peak summer travel of any kind rarely decreases in cost as the dates get closer. On the other hand, if you are traveling at off-peak times, like before or after kids get out of school and college, booking early may not be to your benefit. Your dates of travel, itinerary, and cost are all things you have not provided for reference.

I'd take a read of this forum and focus on the numerous, various discussions of the "Pity the Procrastinator" program and whether or not NCL honors price reductions. The former is not really what it seems to be on its face (read the terms on the NCL website), and the latter issue is unclear at best.

You can negate the large deposit issue if you qualify for a credit card that offers 0% APR for 6 - 12 months (e.g. AMEX Blue and AMEX BlueCash cards). We do this with all our travel since I always book pretty far ahead. Consider it a free loan if you qualify and there are no other circumstances in which you would not want to apply or take on additional credit.

Ultimately, the key is to be comfortable with the price you are locking in by booking early. There is a good chance that you will not qualify for price reductions (e.g. if the new lower price is a promo geared at new bookings only), and notwithstanding Southwest, airfare is rarely rebookable at a lower price without paying a fee.

well we always book in advance, and it has usually saved us a lot of money but if it comes up different we cancel switch the week and rebook- of course to do that you need a ta that dosent charge cancel or change fees. prices are not like they used to be-but then they are not on anything

I have to agree. We booked a year in advance for our Dawn cruise this past July. By the time July came, prices for our cabin, in an oceanview, were up almost $2000.00 from what we paid. There are four of us, also. The only time I was able to take advantage of huge price drops was in 2003. I guess it depends on the ship and the season. We always go somewhere in the summer. We have booked for next summer on the Dawn to Bermuda and got a great price. I believe that by the time next summer rolls around, the price will go up alot more. If I were you, I'd book now. You get the cabin you want where you want. Good luck!

The OP's post caused me to check prices on our June 2008 cruise. We booked through an online TA in July and the same mini-suite would now cost $1375 more if purchased directly form NCL. Plus the TA gave us $100 OBC.

So our answer is yes...book as far out as you can.

I side with the wife as well. The cabin I booked in April now costs twice as much. Our cruise is 9/15/07 and there are (as far as I know) two cabins left. The main reason you want to book early is LOCATION, location, location! Read some of the posts on other boards about "cabin choices" and read some of these other boards really well, they are very helpful. For instance you wouldn't want to be under the pool because of the chair noise etc. and late night partying. Book early and you have your choice of cabins. As far as are the inside cabins different - they look the same on the inside but again - location, location, location!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck and happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!;)

I side with the wife as well. The cabin I booked in April now costs twice as much. Our cruise is 9/15/07 and there are (as far as I know) two cabins left. The main reason you want to book early is LOCATION, location, location! Read some of the posts on other boards about "cabin choices" and read some of these other boards really well, they are very helpful. For instance you wouldn't want to be under the pool because of the chair noise etc. and late night partying. Book early and you have your choice of cabins. As far as are the inside cabins different - they look the same on the inside but again - location, location, location!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck and happy cruising!!!!!!!!!!;)

I agree with the other posters. I always book eleven months in advance, and seem to always get a better deal through my TA, plus I know its booked, I pick the cabin I want, and I know how much its costing me. I also usually get the best deal on self-booked air 335 days out, so all in all, I have some peace of mind.;)

I kept getting error message - sorry about triple !!!!!!!!!! post

We generally book as far ahead as we can, and usually control our own booking online, without a TA. Then, we know at any time of day or night, we can call the cruise line and jump on a price reduction. We just saved thousands on Celebrity, and close to a thousand on Princess by controlling our own booking. If you use a brick & mortar TA, they usually don't work on Sundays, and if you use an Internet one... well, we've had issues; the profit margin for TAs has dropped considerably, so they are working on volume, and don't take a real interest in the client. Recently, we found out that you can switch your booking from direct to a TA as long as it is prior to final payment. We have chosen to do this, since a TA another CC member used was able to do something that other TAs said was impossible, and to boot, we were given some nice perks and OBC. But beware, some TA's give you absolutely nothing.

Generally booking early is a good idea. Do not be swayed by the very emotional discussions about price reductions that take place here daily. Those discussions are not unlike the current "not fair" uproar over tehe Iphone. Get a life, you paid $600 GLADLY, why is it bad if your neighbor can now get it for less.

I digress.

Book early.

And, unless there is some reason, avoid HIGH season. No reason for the season, is there?

i could nt believe that nearly all the cabin s are nearly gone for the

Jan 11 MR cruise..and i thought i was booking early *6 mos in advance*

by doing so we were able to get a BB cabin for the price of a C..:)

i do see the advanatage of booking earlier rather than later..

i just think ur wife want s to make sure u guy s are lock d into a cruise ;)

We booked our Feb,08 Gem Cruise in Jan 07.We have a minisuite.

Jan 07 $3478.00

Sept 07 $5851.00

If you could sometimes in pays to book early.Have you looked at Cruises leaving from New York if you live in the N.E. maybe you can save on airfare

Well: for the record, we have only done two cruises, each with different ships/cruiselines. Okay we're relative rookies. So maybe we're less biased -or a little maybe... But thanks to those cruises and this web site, we’ve been able to watch “the biz” pretty closely (for better or worse...).

Noone seems to be asking your priorities. Without knowing that, it’s hard to advise, but such as we can:

- Where are you going? (You said you’re in the Northeast, and airfares are an issue...?) Is travel date a concern as well? This all determines what your options are in terms of Cruise lines will be.

- You are booking for four: do you fit in one cabin or do you need adjoining rooms? If you are a family fitting into one cabin, look at the square footage. If there’s relatively little $$$ difference between the categories, consider an ocean view. Lots of folks here like the intimacy of an inside cabin, but when the cabin walls are closing in, that window can give you a new lease on life! If you end up deciding on an inside cabin, avoid the aft section of most ships: those cabins are closer to the engines and the noise on lower decks can be a problem.

- If you need to travel NCL, be very wary of prices. (I know I will likely get roasted on this). Book through a saavy TA that has no penalties for ressie changes and will advise you of the price reductions. I hate to be pissy, but NCL's “Pity the Procrastinator” promo appears to be so much hype. Yes, depending on the particular cruise/cabin category, apparently some posters have seen prices go up after they booked early on; I have seen the opposite to be true. I think most cruisers here would agree, for your average cabin (and if you’re not particular about location), the prices generally go down as the line tries to fill cabins.

Political disclaimer: we are currently in the middle of an unresolved dispute with NCL about their pricing policies for early bookings; yes, yes, no matter what price you think is fair, or how wonderful one's cruise may/may not eventually be, I am not sure I see the point of supporting a corporation whose biz practices thumb their nose at their clientele. A review of the posts here will show that continues to be an ongoing issue. Wherever you end up , good luck and enjoy your cruise!

We've done about a dozen cruises on several different lines. I've booked them out about a year or so in advance and as little as 30 days. So we've tried it both ways, and we've also accepted a voluntary "bump" once, to a completely different cruise ship for a completely different set of ports, on the night before flying cross country to board (they don't do that anymore, I think.) Our last cruise was a super bargain within 90 days that came on a postcard flier from one of the lines.

One thing about booking and paying in advance, it gives your spouse some comfort that you actually will go on the trip. For workaholics, that seems to be necessary.

Waiting till the last minute can work and may save some cash, if you don't want to go anywhere in particular with anyone in particular. If you have your heart set on a certain cruise, then I suggest booking it in advance. Especially, if you have 4 in a cabin, there are not that many cabins on a ship that can take 4. Plus, if you book cruise only, you can use the time to keep an eye out for an airfare sale.

I booked my cruise for this Nov while I was on the Jewel last year. I have made little changes since I booked with no problems. I booked an inside then later moved to a balcony. I also move our booking from NCL to a TA with out any problems. If you know you would like a certain room booking early will help out alot. The cat I booked is sold out now.

we have been on 21 cruises...my wife is a pro at finding deals...the best prices seem to be way in advance or last minute...so what you go for depends on where you want to sail out of...if you want a cruise out of florida and can get there cheaply then last minutes cruises are probably the way to go...we live in the great white north and flying to the departure port can cost more than the cruise...we tend to go on airmiles so we have to book them way in advance to get a seat....on the other hand we met a retired couple from Ft Lauderdale who have been on dozens of cruises...they go last minute and it is cheaper for them than going out for dinner every night for a week.

for the best deals check the cruise consolidators....especially true in Canada as travel agents here are mostly stuck on brochure prices

Archived