Coffee card = worth it?

Viola

I read that Princess has coffee card similiar to soft drink. What does it cover? cost? Princess has the WORST coffee of any of the lines. Only their boutique coffees are good. One cruise a gentleman sat down with clipboard at a lunch table (all strangers to each other)) He was an employee of Princess doing a survey on what P could improve. To a person, we all said in unison "coffee" We had a good laugh. This was several years ago but have seen no improvement.

I like the coffee idea! However here's what I would like to know:

I am researching for a client what the name "Jonikal" means (in reference to the famous Yacht name "Jonikal". I have been all over the internet and can't find the significance. Soooooooo, I thought perhaps the person who has selected the Cruisecritic name JONIKAL might be able to help me! Would really appreciate any info you can give me. Thank you

I am researching for a client what the name "Jonikal" means (in reference to the famous Yacht name "Jonikal". I have been all over the internet and can't find the significance. Soooooooo, I thought perhaps the person who has selected the Cruisecritic name JONIKAL might be able to help me! Would really appreciate any info you can give me. Thank you

hi Cactus: Actually I fell in love with the yacht, Jonikal, when she was moored in Monte Carlo many years before she became famous through her royal guest. Afraid I can't help you with the meaning of the name, other than it was chosen by Mohammad al Fayyed, it's owner, and is likely a combination of Arabic family names.

It was less than $30 for 15 drinks- and the card can be shared-- it's a separate "Queen of Steam" (on Coral anyway) and is good for all the specialty coffees and hot chocolate. So, if 2 of you get one a day it is a great deal!

Kay

...One cruise a gentleman sat down with clipboard at a lunch table (all strangers to each other)) He was an employee of Princess doing a survey on what P could improve. To a person, we all said in unison "coffee" We had a good laugh. This was several years ago but have seen no improvement.

Call me cynical, but I think Princess has no intention of improving their "regular" coffee. It might interfere with the sales of their coffee card. ;)

Is there any real reason that they can't offer brewed coffee to everyone? Is it *that* much more expensive than the syrup? Is it a time issue, i.e., syrup is so much faster for coffee for the masses? :confused:

I read that Princess has coffee card similiar to soft drink. What does it cover? cost? Princess has the WORST coffee of any of the lines. Only their boutique coffees are good. One cruise a gentleman sat down with clipboard at a lunch table (all strangers to each other)) He was an employee of Princess doing a survey on what P could improve. To a person, we all said in unison "coffee" We had a good laugh. This was several years ago but have seen no improvement.

It basically covers any specialty coffee (latte, cappucino, espresso, mochas, etc...). It is in a punch card format so multiple people can use it. The card contained 15 punches, I believe we paid $24.95. It definately was worth the cost.

Call me cynical, but I think Princess has no intention of improving their "regular" coffee. It might interfere with the sales of their coffee card. ;)

You are cynical (you told me to call you that) :D Princess coffee has been what it has been ever since we started sailing them. And that was a long time before they ever had a coffee card. They have always charged for the foofoo coffee drinks. All the card does is give you a chance to "bulk buy" ahead of time and save some money.

Is there any real reason that they can't offer brewed coffee to everyone? Is it *that* much more expensive than the syrup? Is it a time issue, i.e., syrup is so much faster for coffee for the masses? :confused:

It is economics. It is more expensive to brew. Fresh brewing that much coffee (for thousands of folks) needs more labor, as well as different brewing and distribution stations.

Guess they could do it like the Army. We had big brewing urns and once brewed, it just kept "cooking" in the urn until it was gone. Those last cups were like mud. Then, after it was gone, they brew another twenty gallons. As bad a Princess coffee is, it is not as bad as my Army coffee was.

Its not really even a question of the labor it takes to brew ground coffee. Having syrup is all about waste disposal. Think of the amount of waste grounds they would have if they brewed from grounds for 2,000 people every week. They save tons on disposal costs this way.

Coffee grounds are organic, and can be used for compost and other recycling efforts. Princess has to dispose of uneaten foodstuffs, too.

I'm not disputing that perhaps the disposal *cost* is an issue for Princess, but it's not from any environmental concern, in my opinion. ;)

If you don' buy the card, how much is a speciality coffee? Can you buy the card once on board or do you need to purchase prior to boarding?;)

You buy it on board. The prices vary for the different types of speciality coffees, but basically you are saving $.50 to $1.00 a drink. We have even saved the card and finished it up on a subsequent cruise. I know they change the "named" cards (like soda stickers) cruise to cruise, but our old one was honored.

Another "benefit" is having a waiter who "forgets" to punch the card in the dining room when he/she brings you for after dinner speciality coffee. ;)

Its not really even a question of the labor it takes to brew ground coffee. Having syrup is all about waste disposal. Think of the amount of waste grounds they would have if they brewed from grounds for 2,000 people every week. They save tons on disposal costs this way.

I've heard that excuse before... Maybe that's the "PRINCESS" statement as to why they use syrup... but that's nothing but a big cop out. what do big hotels like the Marriott and Hilton do with their grounds? I'm sure they go through just as much, maybe MORE coffee grounds in a week. It all revolves around the cost to make the coffee, not the coffee ground wastle

I've heard that excuse before... Maybe that's the "PRINCESS" statement as to why they use syrup... but that's nothing but a big cop out. what do big hotels like the Marriott and Hilton do with their grounds? I'm sure they go through just as much, maybe MORE coffee grounds in a week. It all revolves around the cost to make the coffee, not the coffee ground wastle

I have to say I agree that this is one big pile of beans (pun intended) -- coffee grounds would not exactly be toxic waste.

(JONI FROM CALIFORINA) thats my guess

Archived