Half Moon Cay - Cabana question??

LAMCK3

Hi ~ We will be going on a Triumph cruise in 10 days! We will be going with 3 other couples. I've read that the cabanas are just for four people. Would we be allowed to have eight of us use it? I think I understand they would just have enough snorkling equipment for four, chairs for four and a limited amount of food. If we were all okay with that, are we allowed to have more than four use it without having to rent two? Thanks!

I went to HMC with Holland America in 2006. We rented a cabana, and if I remember correctly, you were allowed to have more than four people in the cabana, but you just had to pay an extra fee ($25/pp or something like that). To me, it doesn't necessarily seem worth it. My guess is that $25/pp allows them to stock enough food and drinks for the extra people. So, my thoughts are this: book it for four, and just have the other four people rotate out hanging out there, if that makes any sense. (i.e., take turns actually sitting in the cabana, swimming in the water, exploring the island, etc.) Hopefully nothing would be said if you did things that way.

I do have to add this caveat: Since I'm guessing that the extra per-person fee covers additional food and drink, please do not ask for more food or drinks, lounge chairs, or snorkeling equipment, if you only book the cabana for four people. That seems only fair. I am not necessarily an advocate of "bucking" the cruise line rules, but in this case, I think it would not be such a big deal AS LONG AS you didn't take advantage and try to get more than what you have paid for.

I asked this question to sydneyb who recently returned from a cruise on the Triumph. The answer- fruit, chips/salsa, veggie tray, water and soft drinks. The cabanas are air-conditioned with misting fans and a shower. Snokeling equipment included. I want to try one on my next cruise- sounds like a day of fun and relaxing.

It is really nice - pretty much a VIP experience. My only advice would be to book one further down the beach if possible. We had the taupe one (the first one), and it was right by a main walkway to the beach. People were constantly barging through our cabana and looking at US like WE were the rude ones hogging the cabana all day. We also had people come up and just start using our showers or take our floatie mats.

The people we talked to who had cabanas further down the way had a lot more privacy.

LAMCK3;11683646]Hi ~ We will be going on a Triumph cruise in 10 days! We will be going with 3 other couples. I've read that the cabanas are just for four people. Would we be allowed to have eight of us use it? I think I understand they would just have enough snorkling equipment for four, chairs for four and a limited amount of food. If we were all okay with that, are we allowed to have more than four use it without having to rent two? Thanks!

Hey there LAMCK3, if your talking about the 9/29 sailing, please come and join our roll call (roll call-carnival/triumph).

Lots of great people there and a ton of info.

We be happy to have all of you join us:D

Donna/Dave

Can anyone clarify- from reading the Half Moon Cay board - you can only book the cabanas while on board? Can't do it before, right? We usually book our CCL excursions 2-3 months out, on line. Doesn't this lead to a real rush to book them at the shore excursion desk? There are only a few cabanas, from what I see. (would love to get one for our April Freedom Floaters cruise.)

Hey there LAMCK3, if your talking about the 9/29 sailing, please come and join our roll call (roll call-carnival/triumph).

Lots of great people there and a ton of info.

We be happy to have all of you join us:D

Donna/Dave

I was just thinking the same thing - please come join the Gang at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=11685245#post11685245 (you miight want to start at page 1 if you have the time to get all the info!)

Froufie - Official Ringleader of the Triumph 9/29 roll call:D

P.S. Cabana is priced for 4 people so you will have to pay extra if you have more than that - lots of info on HMC cabanas can be found here! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=406

We had a cabana on our cruise last year. It was wonderful! Hubby and I booked it as soon as we boarded the ship. We chose one farther down the beach so that we would have privacy and no problem with others trying to hang out. The day prior to arriving at hmc we invited our tablemates to join us. One couple said it sounded like fun. We had a blast! I wish our Freedom cruise would go there instead of stopping in San Juan at night. Oh well....can't get everything ya want. LOL

That's correct. You can only book a cabana once you're on board.

This is what I did. Once we boarded, the shore excurison desk was not opened, so I waited in line for about 45 minutes. The person in front of me also wanted a cabana for 6 people. She was told it only accommodated 4 people. She said OK & ordered the snorkel gear & drinks for 4 people & the guy behind the desk seemed to not have a problem knowing 6 would utilize it.

They were assigned #1 & I was assigned #2. You are assigned a cabana as they rent out. You cannot pick which one you want. The only time we had visitors were 2 girls that tried to take our floats that were draped on the rail & I explained to them that the floats belonged to our cabana & politely directed them to the water sports desk.

Here's what's included along with 2 large bottles of water, 8 soft drinks, snorkel gear & floats: You also get a table & 4 chairs, 2 padded lounge chairs with a misting fan & a fresh water showerhead for rinsing off.

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-102.jpg

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-101.jpg

That's correct. You can only book a cabana once you're on board.

This is what I did. Once we boarded, the shore excurison desk was not opened, so I waited in line for about 45 minutes. The person in front of me also wanted a cabana for 6 people. She was told it only accommodated 4 people. She said OK & ordered the snorkel gear & drinks for 4 people & the guy behind the desk seemed to not have a problem knowing 6 would utilize it.

They were assigned #1 & I was assigned #2. You are assigned a cabana as they rent out. You cannot pick which one you want. The only time we had visitors were 2 girls that tried to take our floats that were draped on the rail & I explained to them that the floats belonged to our cabana & politely directed them to the water sports desk.

Here's what's included along with 2 large bottles of water, 8 soft drinks, snorkel gear & floats: You also get a table & 4 chairs, 2 padded lounge chairs with a misting fan & a fresh water showerhead for rinsing off.

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-102.jpg

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-101.jpg

Thanks for the great info. How sad that even on a beach day, you have to "teach people" how to act!

You can also rent clamshells (but we found them to be too hot, no air circulating through them). Otherwise, there are plenty of trees for shade. You don't have to rent a cabana for shade. We had one on our HAL cruise last year and while it was nice, I don't think I'd spend the money again.

Thanks for the great info. How sad that even on a beach day, you have to "teach people" how to act!

That is so true. They came right up to our floats & just grabbed, never asking if they could use them (which they weren't going to). I'm glad we happen to be sitting at the cabana. Had we not been there at the time we would have returned & our floats would have been gone.

It is really nice - pretty much a VIP experience. My only advice would be to book one further down the beach if possible. We had the taupe one (the first one), and it was right by a main walkway to the beach. People were constantly barging through our cabana and looking at US like WE were the rude ones hogging the cabana all day. We also had people come up and just start using our showers or take our floatie mats.

The people we talked to who had cabanas further down the way had a lot more privacy.

I think someone said there are small signs that say this is a rented cabana, but would it help to make one of your own and bring it to add to the one that is permanent to the cabanas, one saying like, "the ____ family reunion has rented this cabana for quality family fun, yada, yada, yada?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think someone said there are small signs that say this is a rented cabana, but would it help to make one of your own and bring it to add to the one that is permanent to the cabanas, one saying like, "the ____ family reunion has rented this cabana for quality family fun, yada, yada, yada?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think hanging a sign would be the perfect answer. I can't recall what's on the sign on the front of the cabana. I would think it's something to the fact that it was being rented.

When we went to HMC we were able to book the cabana before (on-line) our sail date. It was advised as the cabana's rent very quckly and they are the only place on the beach with shade. Well, you have the clam shells but as previously stated they aren't very comfortable. We had the orange cabana, rented for 4 but 6 of us actually used it. We all weren't there at any one time and the food, drink etc., was for four people. Also, snorkle etc. for 4. This beach is incredible, the whitest sand and blue water. Could have stayed for days!

When we went to HMC we were able to book the cabana before (on-line) our sail date. It was advised as the cabana's rent very quckly and they are the only place on the beach with shade. Well, you have the clam shells but as previously stated they aren't very comfortable. We had the orange cabana, rented for 4 but 6 of us actually used it. We all weren't there at any one time and the food, drink etc., was for four people. Also, snorkle etc. for 4. This beach is incredible, the whitest sand and blue water. Could have stayed for days!

Ok, I'll bite. What is a clamshell??? The reason I ask, is I can't decide if $219.00 is worth 3 hours. (which is the longest we will be able to stay at the beach with our special needs son)

My sister and I rented one last year. I also waited about 45 minutes until the Shore Excursion Desk opened, I think I was 2nd in line and was able to choose the cabana that I wanted.

We also had trouble with people trying to take the mats, snorkle equip, etc. Sister and I felt that we couldn't venture too far from the Cabana without fear of having something taken.

We finally felt we needed to get in the water and were laying on our mats when we noticed a whole family taking a shower at our cabana. I am usually not the confrontational type, but after the 2nd or 3rd family, (which is what this was), I told them that I had PAID for the rental and to please leave.

Attached is a picture of the front of the Cabana. You can see the A/C in the back of the unit, the canvas comes completely down if you desire. The shower is in front to the right

I would rent one again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy,

Sue

771328594_Miscellaneous2006-49.jpg.c25ca0ab518eb9b983ba9fcb7ff6a8b2.jpg

The 4 of us rented a cabana this past April, when we on the Triumph. We had 6 other people join us after they set up...No Problem! They never said a word about the extra people. Actually except for the drinks, you had more than enough fruit etc. You can also go the buffet and bring food down to the cabana. We had the Coral one. I think it was the 3rd or fourth one down. Very convenient, close to the buffet. There are four chairs and a table, which is under cover so you can have shade, two padded lounge chairs on the deck. You can also bring more lounge chairs up next to the cabana if you need to. They also set up on the beach, right beside us, to buy cold drinks and beer!

We went to the desk right when we got on the ship. It was open...We picked the one we wanted with no problem.

We loved the Cabana...would do it again in a heart beat!

Enjoy!

Here are two pictures of our Cabana #4

DSC00375.jpg.472a0ed9b211233f57dcfe14fe2f32cd.jpg

1178401489_Cabana4.jpg.6820df41fc5f19504c44bb73d2b70fff.jpg

We went to Half Moon Cay last October and are going back again in a few weeks. We rented 2 clamshells and found them to be very hot- so my husband took a dinnerplate from the lunch buffet and placed it under the back end of the clamshell to create a breezeway- it helped tremendously- amazing what 8 inches off the ground does.:)

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice!! I really appreciate it! I loved seeing all the pictures. I hope I can get to the desk early and get signed up for one!! I am also going to figure out the roll call forum and get us signed up on that for our cruise on Triumph on Sept. 29th!!

I think hanging a sign would be the perfect answer. I can't recall what's on the sign on the front of the cabana. I would think it's something to the fact that it was being rented.

Thanks, I really want to rent one, and plan on going first thing when I get on the ship. I believe I will make a sign and take it just in case we have to use it.

Thanks, and if anyone has any suggestions for signs, just let me know!

We went to Half Moon Cay last October and are going back again in a few weeks. We rented 2 clamshells and found them to be very hot- so my husband took a dinnerplate from the lunch buffet and placed it under the back end of the clamshell to create a breezeway- it helped tremendously- amazing what 8 inches off the ground does.:)

Do you remember how much it was to rent the clam shells?

I found some pictures of them and I agree that a little elevation would work wonders for the heat they can collect!!

Archived