What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

A steamer and a coffeemaker would be great... and I agree with ice machines (at least 2 per deck) so that we don't have to wait for the steward. Other than that, I knew the rooms were small, but that's okay because my husband and I lived in an apartment that was literally only a third bigger than the cabins for the first year of our marriage.... we don't mind being crowded.

The one thing I would enjoy more than anything else would be a upholstered chair that would convert to a lounge chair. At home MY chair is a zero clearance (located near the wall), and adjusts to a very comfortable lounger.

Petert

One thing I would like to see that has not been mentioned larger well insulated ice buckets. the ones on most ships are small and poorly insulated so the ice melts to fast. And we loved the double sinks on Silverseas.

I think "Universal Design" features should be integrated into standard cabins - wider doors so wheelchair/scooters could enter the room, no step access to the bathroom and balcony - for example. This would not make every cabin fully accessible but would allow those who have mild to moderate mobility problems the opportunity to book most cabins.

Bigger shower and not plastic curtains and open closet like the one's on Princess cruises. I agree too that a ice machine will be great on each floor. About the electrical, I always take with me a power strip. That all the refrigerators be empty just like Princess so we can put at least a bottle of water.

Hi all! Adding a hair dryer menu to the list was my idea, because I think the hair dryers available on the cruise ships are really terrible. My thought was it would be great to be able to select from a printed menu available in the cabin of hair care electrics. High-wattage dryers, ceramic-plated straighteners, curling irons -- all could be delivered by your cabin steward. A girl can dream :) Until then, I pack it all and pray my bags don't get lost in transit!

My list would include a choice of pillows (some lines do this with suite pax already), more lighting at the vanity (preferrable up-lighting) and lighter weight blankets on RCI ships.

RCI has nice new linens, but the comforter is just too dang heavy for me and the sheet alone sometimes is too cold. I spend my nights waking up freezing, covering up with the comforter, only to wake again in an hour in a sweat....repeating the cycle all night long.

I use a lot of cotton balls and Q-tips, I prefer my own brand, when they are provided they can be the cheap stuff, not real cotton at all. It's kind of like the difference between a nice cotton sweater and an acrylic one, they may look the same, but the acrylic just doesn't work quite as well. So, that is not important to me at all.

I also wish they would provide better bath toiletries, so I wouldn't have to pack shower gel, lotion and shampoo. I'd be willing to pay for a small travel size kit from them to get a better product, so people who don't care can still get the mystery stuff at no cost.

Although a coffee maker would be nice, it wouldn't be at the top of my list. We've had a cabin with a coffee maker and didn't use it at all, it kind of got in the way.

My list includes:

1. Sitting area next to windows/balcony doors - some lines have this configuration, others don't.
  2. Two recliner/lounge chairs instead of a sofa in rooms where sofa is not a sofa bed.
  3. Second hairdryer by mirror over desk in cabin.
  4. More electrical outlets.
  5. Full length mirror in cabin.
  6. Coffee maker with packets of coffee, sugar, sweetener and real cream.

That's all I can think of for right now.

I was going to mark the coffee maker, then decided against it because I want someone to make the coffee for me. We have to make coffee every morning at home, so I just want to pick up the phone and have them deliver it to me. Now if they could make better coffee that would be a different story. Plus it always grosses me out even at a hotel using the coffee pot because I am never sure how clean it is. I know I am showering and sleeping where other people just did, maybe it is some paranoia about my lips or ingesting it or something, lol. Yes, I am a freak...:rolleyes:

I love the iPod thing though. I think there would be nothing nicer than listening some some before dinner music, getting ready with my honey. Wow that sounded bad didn't it?

• Administrators
Hi all! Adding a hair dryer menu to the list was my idea, because I think the hair dryers available on the cruise ships are really terrible. My thought was it would be great to be able to select from a printed menu available in the cabin of hair care electrics. High-wattage dryers, ceramic-plated straighteners, curling irons -- all could be delivered by your cabin steward. A girl can dream :) Until then, I pack it all and pray my bags don't get lost in transit!

AH!! Thanks for answering this one, Melissa -- all evening I've been intermittently wondering "hair dryer menu.... a hair dryer with more settings? a digital hair dryer with pull down options?" -- but THAT makes sense! :)

Oh, and put me down voting for an empty refrigerator -- one I don't have to cajole a steward to empty of the overpriced snacks and mini-bar items!

Actually, my #1 suggestion would be to select more atttractive color schemes for the cabins. Royal blue, bright turquroise, emerald green, red, etc. The peachy colors and pale aquas went out in the 70's and are rather dismal. I'd love to have a small 4-cup coffee maker (even a one cup would be appreciated.) And, yes, certainly laundry rooms would be a plus for those ships that do not currently have these facilities. My husband and I are talking about skipping formal nights so that we can pack in a 22" carry-on and avoid the possibility of lost luggge. If we could wash midweek, this is do-able. Ditto the clock and more storage, too.

With airline weight restrictions and airport hassle of lugging luggage etc. I think my number one wish would be adequate laundry rooms on all decks and perhaps a few spread out on the decks of the mega ships.

Hair dryer thing I too didn't understand. I usually bring my own travel hair dryer. I think there should be more storage space built ins' and a ladies vanity outside the bathroom. An adequate size shower is more important than a tub. Two sinks a plus with separate storage of his and her stuff in the bathroom. I will not count sheep tonight but think of all the things I missed here with this post. :>)!

Real plants? You've got to be kidding - that means bringing real dirt into the cabin. And just who's going to water & fertilize & maintain those plants? You might as well have included goldfish on the list. :eek:

I'm also surprised at the number of votes for q-tips, cotton balls & emery boards. Those are personal disposable items. Besides, I think some might be tempted to hoard them to then replenish their personal supply to take home. :o

My dream list -

1. I'd love to see improved lighting at the vanity area.

2. A second sink in the cabin instead of a double in the bath would be my preference. If the husband is IN the bathroom doing his thing, I can't exactly get to the the sink in there anyways. :rolleyes: Besides, in a standard bathroom in verandah-category cabin, the bathroom would have to be much larger in order to allow for 2 people.

3. More electrical outlets. We currently bring a power strip, but it would be nice not to have to pack that.

4. A clock in the cabin - it could certainly be hard-wired into the ship's system to re-set when time-zones change.

My wish list:

1. Alarm clock

2. More 120V/220V power outlets

3. In-room wifi/internet connectivity

4. Better places for the trash can (not under the desk where I have to sit for using the computer!)

5. A real refrigerator

6. More hooks in the bathroom (for towels and clothes)

I realize this might sound really dinky, but I would love to see different decor on different ships - specifically with Carnival. Part of the thrill of going to your cabin is seeing what it looks like. Now that I've been in a Carnival suite and knowing that ALL the suites look the same, part of that thrill in gone for me. :(

Part of the reason now that I'm looking to other cruise lines is cause their cabins all look different! :rolleyes: :o

Also, the key card holder sounds really neat. God only knows how many times we lost our card in the room and had to spend time looking for it on the dresser, the table, in the bathroom! :p

Like everybody else, a lighted clock would be great. That was about the only thing that I didn't like when I was on Voyager in January.

Oh come on, hang a plant on the balcony. :)

Other than that, leave me in an aft balcony and I'm good.

Archived