What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

I choose the double sink because that would mean that the bathroom is bigger which in turns would make my request come true....a larger shower for us 6 ft 4 240lbs athletic types :o I had more room bathing in the back of my hummer in the Marine Corps :p all the other items are kool but a larger shower would be the best for me

DH and I do not book suites, usually go for inside cabin. Lack of space in the bathrooms is a pet peeve. Some ships have no storage space, other than what the stewards use for storing towels. We need space to hang towels and to stow our non-hanging supplies. Even the corner cabinets with doors help. Doesn't have to be fancy, just available. And I did vote for the double sinks. I'd rather have that than a tub, thanks.

Sure hope the ship designers take some of the suggestions to heart. It's hard to be in cramped quarters for the longer cruises.

Thanks for gathering the opinions! :):):)

An over the door hanging shoe bag is wonderful for holding all the non hanging supplies. We bought one prior to our 1st cruise, came home and hung it in our master bath (which is tiny) so will have to get a new one for cruising!

Hi all! Adding a hair dryer menu to the list was my idea, because I think the hair dryers available on the cruise ships are really terrible. My thought was it would be great to be able to select from a printed menu available in the cabin of hair care electrics. High-wattage dryers, ceramic-plated straighteners, curling irons -- all could be delivered by your cabin steward. A girl can dream :) Until then, I pack it all and pray my bags don't get lost in transit!

Now that is a very kewl idea!

I would like to see them add a bar menu to the room, as in, the right to order a bottle or 2 of your favorite to be used in-room with set-ups. Obviously, I would pay for this but it would be wonderful to have the option again!

What line has done away with this option?

I'd be happy if HAL had showers available in outside cabins. I'm too short to get in/out of the high-walled tubs (and as I'm getting older, it isn't helping). ;) I wouldn't mind 2 sinks, but I'd rather have the space elsewhere in the cabin.

Hal does have some outsides available with just showers -- normally the ones all the way in the front or in the rear of the ship. Just look on the deck plans for the *

I don't care about them providing cotton balls or q-tips. Don't care about hair electronics menu.... give me a basic blower and all will be well. (I have short hair. :) ) Don't need anything on the list. A clothes steamer would be nice but they are not permitted in cabins nor are irons. Double sinks are okay.

I do care about bathroom storage space.

Things I pack that I wouldn't if the cabin had them:

1. A fan. We like to sleep under a fan at night, and sometimes cabins aren't as cool as they should be.

2. A power strip. There are never enough electrical outlets, and they are never conveniently placed. (ever pulled out the table, dresser, etc. to find one??--and when you find it, you can't plug in a curling iron and see the mirror to do your hair!!)

3. A cooler. I pack a collapsible cooler to use on the balcony. We like to drink icy cold beer on our balcony (we are on vacation!). This cooler could double for an ice bucket for use in the cabin. The cheapy ice buckets in cabins never keep ice very long.

And not necessarily a cabin amenity, but I'd love to have an iced down bucket of beer waiting on me when I first check into my cabin. After flying to reach the port of embarkation, hauling luggage around, and standing in line after line, I'm beat. I'd love to sip cold beer while unpacking my suitcase when I embark. Now that would be worth having. Why not pre-sell this like the other items available on the cruise line's website (where it is waiting for you in your cabin upon embarkation--like flowers or fruit basket)?

These things would make my vacation more enjoyable!:D

COFFEE MAKER!!, The trouble with room service coffe is that you have to either decide when you go to sleep when you will get up, or wait up to an hour if you don't order the night before. I just hate to get dressed until I've had coffee. When we travel in the states, I always ask for a coffee maker and then bring my own coffee and filters. Usually I can't stand cruise line coffee so I bring a french press and one of those heat one cup at a time electric coil thingys, along with some preground Peets. I don't want to hear any guff from the coffee purists, I'm not bringing a grinder!

More outlets. I always bring a power strip along for all those illegal devices I have to pack. I would love the hair dryer menu, I use one of those ceramic dry/curl/straighten things at home and don't pack it because it's too bulky. double sink, more shelves, a curtain, we always travel with our DD.

I see a few posts from folks on Spirit 11/18, come join our roll call if you haven't already.

Hal does have some outsides available with just showers -- normally the ones all the way in the front or in the rear of the ship. Just look on the deck plans for the *
Right, just perfect for someone who gets seasick easily. AND they are on the Vista Class ships - those without the passenger self laundy. Oh yeah, my idea of the perfect cruise is having to do my delicates in the cabin sink when at home I can easily throw them in the washer and just line dry. I refuse to sail on a Vista.

To get my attention new ships need to have that laundy room available for me. There are some things I don't want (really refuse) to send to the ships laundry:

Anything I've spilled on - don't want that near a dryer until I made sure the spot is gone.

I like to take light weight crinkle gauze clothes to hot climates. I certainly don't want them ironed!

Above mentioned 'delicates'

Anything that needs to be washed in warm water or hung to dry.

I'll take a passenger laundry on the ship and a good size shower stall in the cabin - PLEASE! Actually the HAL showers are larger (from what I've heard) than those on other cruise lines. No shower curtain dancing. ;)

If I could design my perfect cabin, it would:

definitely have more electrical outlets.

would have a in-room clock.

would provide a hand-held steamer & a place to hang items to steam.

It would have a high-quality down comforter & upgraded bed linens.

A vanity with makeup lighting rather than the florescent lighting found at the desk in many cabins.

A Bigger shower with a curtain (or door of some sort) that wouldn't be "attacking" you as you try to shower like the flimsy shower curtains on many ships do.

• Coffee-Maker
  • More outlets/power strip
  • Better lighting throughout the cabin...especially at vanity and bathroom
  • More storage in bathroom
  • Anti-mist feature for bathroom mirror
  • Full-sized mirror
  • Wireless for in-room computer use
  • Electric window drapery (switch at bed)
  • Privacy drape between sitting area and bed
  • Hooks on wall for hats, etc.
  • Cork or magnetic strip to hang notes/maps

Someone said:

"reading lamps, who is in their cabin that long? and who reads on a cruise. If you have to read, you are bored and not having fun. "

Sheesh. For us two old but not retired codgers, one of the pleasures of a cruise is having the time to catch up on our reading! That requires good lighting at the bed side, chair side, balcony, and in a pinch the bathroom! (Don't ask.....)

Just leave us alone so we can read and have fun in our own way. There'll be more room for you at the pool or wherever.

After reading through this list with a pinch of salt, here are my suggestions: Caution: tongue may be placed firmly in cheek on some/all of these!

Here is my ideal cabin:

Shower And Bathtub, two sinks - is everyone happy?

Towel menu

Toilet with ample space for a Penn State linebacker

Toilet paper menu

Bidet

Lots of closet space, drawer space, hangers enough for Leona Helmsley's wardrobe

Individual climate and lighting controls for two people who are diametrically opposite. (Aren't we all?????)

Plants for the nature lover. No plants for those who worry about dirt.

Worms in the plant bucket to keep the soil organically refreshed.

I-Pod or WiFi for those who want to use them and know how to use them.

TV and DVD player likewise.

Full size refrigerator with ice maker. Self-defrosting.

Coffee maker, coffee menu to include Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Tim Horton's or Folgers for us in the hoi polloi.

Lighting for those who like to read, those who don't like to read do not have to use the better lighting

Full-size laundry with soap menu

Baby grand piano - newly tuned - and menu of sheet music

Balcony with chair and table menu

Etc.

And get this, the price should be reasonable! For a dream cabin like this, the price should be no more than $599 each for a 7 night cruise!

Tee-Hee!

• Coffee-Maker
  • More outlets/power strip
  • Better lighting throughout the cabin...especially at vanity and bathroom
  • More storage in bathroom
  • Anti-mist feature for bathroom mirror
  • Full-sized mirror
  • Wireless for in-room computer use
  • Electric window drapery (switch at bed)
  • Privacy drape between sitting area and bed
  • Hooks on wall for hats, etc.
  • Cork or magnetic strip to hang notes/maps

Thank you. Now HERE's a list that means something to me. These are things that make a difference. The poll list really had nothing of value for us.

Everything on your list would make our stay aboard a ship more comfortable and enjoyable.

THIS is a list!@!@!@!

Someone said:

"reading lamps, who is in their cabin that long? and who reads on a cruise. If you have to read, you are bored and not having fun. "

Sheesh. For us two old but not retired codgers, one of the pleasures of a cruise is having the time to catch up on our reading! That requires good lighting at the bed side, chair side, balcony, and in a pinch the bathroom! (Don't ask.....)

Just leave us alone so we can read and have fun in our own way. There'll be more room for you at the pool or wherever.

After reading through this list with a pinch of salt, here are my suggestions: Caution: tongue may be placed firmly in cheek on some/all of these!

Here is my ideal cabin:

Shower And Bathtub, two sinks - is everyone happy?

Towel menu

Toilet with ample space for a Penn State linebacker

Toilet paper menu

Bidet

Lots of closet space, drawer space, hangers enough for Leona Helmsley's wardrobe

Individual climate and lighting controls for two people who are diametrically opposite. (Aren't we all?????)

Plants for the nature lover. No plants for those who worry about dirt.

Worms in the plant bucket to keep the soil organically refreshed.

I-Pod or WiFi for those who want to use them and know how to use them.

TV and DVD player likewise.

Full size refrigerator with ice maker. Self-defrosting.

Coffee maker, coffee menu to include Starbucks, Seattle's Best, Tim Horton's or Folgers for us in the hoi polloi.

Lighting for those who like to read, those who don't like to read do not have to use the better lighting

Full-size laundry with soap menu

Baby grand piano - newly tuned - and menu of sheet music

Balcony with chair and table menu

Etc.

And get this, the price should be reasonable! For a dream cabin like this, the price should be no more than $599 each for a 7 night cruise!

Tee-Hee!

Reading lamps is one luxery that CCL already has. Good lighting in the bathroom is another. We have always found plenty of drawer, and closet space in the cabin on CCL.

One thing that would make me happy, is hooks on the bathroom door for men like my DH who hang their jeans in the bathroom.

Thank you. Now HERE's a list that means something to me. These are things that make a difference. The poll list really had nothing of value for us.

Everything on your list would make our stay aboard a ship more comfortable and enjoyable.

THIS is a list!@!@!@!

I agree, although the key-card system that European Hotels use where you put your card in the slot which enables the lights to come on would be both useful and energy efficient.

I have no use for in-room coffee makers or ice machines/laundry on every deck - that's what stewards are for. For Self-Service items like that - one might as well check into a Motel 6...

:) You're right, Brian.

We wouldn't have use for the coffee pot either.....what with Neptune Lounge's fantastic coffee machine. No in room pot will ever produce that kind of espresso, cappucino, latte etc

But I think it a nice feature for cabins that don't have a Neptune Lounge (or equivalent) available.

And yes....... room service is a beautiful thing. :)

I was reading the NY Times and was reading an article about the new Modern Bidets (the kind where you push a button and it does the job that paper has traditionally done for the past hundred years or so....)

I think that would be a rather cool and useful thing to have aboard ship - and possibly more environmentally sound as well.

bathroom demisting mirror with good lighting for make up and shaving

dimmer switch

nice pillows

electrical outlets by beds

full length dressing mirror

being quite short myself, an adjustable height shower

I was reading the NY Times and was reading an article about the new Modern Bidets (the kind where you push a button and it does the job that paper has traditionally done for the past hundred years or so....)

I think that would be a rather cool and useful thing to have aboard ship - and possibly more environmentally sound as well.

Maybe not the type mentioned in the NY Times, but RCI has bidets in Owner's Suites: ;)

http://www.webshots.com/search?media=photo&query=royal+caribbean+bidet&queryChannel=&sortBy=&source=search_noresults_menu

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1521463607063522393yBPiAw

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2501126010043619476ZOxrha

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2653246210081772067NTFKlT

Karen

My wishlist (some more wishful thinking than anything else)

- Sleep number beds (so each person can control the firmness of their own side of the bed)

- Full length mirrors (ideally in an area where you can back up a little to get a good view). Or maybe just a mirrored wall to make the room look bigger.

- Automatically updated clocks (maybe an atomic clock, or one controlled by the ship. this could be in the form of an alarm clock, a clock display on the telephone or TV, or just a small clock somewhere in the cabin)

- night lights, or lights on dimmers

- bedside lights (for reading)

- toilet paper animals

- air freshner or good exhaust fan in bathroom

- Additional outlets (including one in the bathroom)

- In-room steamers (perhaps with an automatic shut-off if left on for too long)

- In-room air purifier

- Detachable shower head (for hitting all of those hard to reach places... like your spouse sitting on the bed watching TV)

- makeup lighting in bathroom/at desk

- Complimentary shoe shining kit

- Ability to check your shipboard account on the TV

- Bottles of hand sanitizer (like the Purell bottles)

- Sewing kit

- Complimentary roll of [insert Cruise Line] Logo duct tape

- More drawers, shelves, hooks, etc.

- Featherbeds (instead of egg crate mattress pads)

Archived