What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

My wist list...larger showers with plastic doors...hair dryer outlet in bathroom...larger ice buckets or real refrig that gets cold...more closet space (love the shelves instead of drawers)...

Pros and cons about chairs in front of balcony...when we were on Enchantment the sofa bed was in front of balcony which was so nice but the walking space between the bed and the wall was really small and tough getting around...I can't even imagine the space with the new beds...and when room service brought your coffee in the morning (which we love) there was no place to put the tray since you had to get around the bed to get to anything...

personally the rooms need to wider instead of longer...

Also new ships that are not mega...the mid/large sizes are great!

ps: I really hope these are being read by someone that can make a difference.

Isn't is funny how we are all different. Coffee maker was #1 choice and when I read it I thought--definitely not. I enjoy room service and being totally pampered. I do not want to make, cook anything, even coffee when on board. Great size bathroom with dual sinks, free laundry and dry cleaning service (available with some suites) and wonderful bedding are at the top of my list. Wonderful balconies must also be included. We are all so spoiled!!!

I haven't read all the replies so some might already have mentioned the need for a low watt night light in the bathroom.

I hate the idea of a coffee maker in the cabin as it would just take up counter-top space and room service makes it unnecessary.

A really functional reading light by the bed would be good, and adjustable light levels in the cabin would be nice.

Luggage storage space under the bed is a must, I think.

I love a mix of adjustable shelves and hanging bars in closets.

all great ideas..what about shoe hanging bags build in on back of door(s)and or multible adjustable shelves/bars.

outlet for curling iron/electric toothbrush/your supplied hairdryer IN BATHROOM---GROUND FAULTED, OF COURSE!

(As an aside....Love all the wonderful wooden hangers supplies in most suites/most cruise lines, BUT..they take up too much space! Why not make a deal with Joy Mangano's "Ingenious" company.(HSN)...but now that I think of it, everyone would be walking off with them.... for her light-weight narrow hangers! we travel with all our clothes already hanging on them...always get rid of the bulky wooden ones... empty our bags having everyghing ready to hang up.)

We need drawer space.The Summit had lots of drawer space and I used it all.The solstice does't seem to have very much. I like the night stands by the bed too, we use it for lots of necessary things. I would like hooks to hang our clothes on during the day for dinner that night, they get smashed in the closet. We are on the 12/14/08 cruise.

I would like to see more ships go to the European key card/power supply holder. You know where your key card is, and it saves power.

More outlets, but not just in the bath room or vanity. I would like to see at least one on each side of the bed.

Better lighting is a must. I just did my first inside cabin, and the lighting was awful.

I don't like the two baths on Disney. They are two small. But one thing Disney does have right is the hindged beds. You can lift the mattress up and store your luggage. You can do this and not worry about it falling on you, or getting on your hands and knees to check that you have everything.

Higher hanging hooks. My formal gown was too long to hang in the closet. I had to hang it out side on the door.

Great ideas - I hope this thread is well-read by people who can make it so!

Mine (my order of importance):

BETTER things to sit on on the balcony - each person should have a lounger or chair with ottoman. I'm on vacation, I want to put my feet up!

FEWER things to sit on in the cabin - let's face it, we don't need a sofa plus two chairs. My toes appreciate the walking space.

Nighlight in bathroom

Even though we usually cruise with someone we like, it would really be nice if there were a curtain or other divider between the sitting area of a cabin and the bed. I'm planning to cruise the Med with my mother in 2009 and I'm sure there will be times when she wants to nap and I want to sit and read a book.

I'm a repeat Holland America cruiser (deluxe verandah suite category), but am seriously looking at other cruiselines on which the bedroom is somewhat separated from the living area in the suite category.

A steamer would be a great addition since I have not yet learned the trick of arriving on board without a suitcase full of clothes that need to have the wrinkles removed.

Responding to another post, the cabin I enjoyed on the Volendam had a large but subtle clock on the wall that automatically adjusted to the time where ever we were. It was a VERY nice touch!

Your list looks like an amenity list not a cabin design list. I would like more electrical outlets, windows & verandah doors that would turn opaque, a refrigerator with ice maker. A bathroom with more storage space. A closet with more storage for underwear, tee shirts , folded clothes.

Thanks for the Poll

eaglewar

Would like to be able to have a night light in the bathroom. I have always had plenty of storage space on Princess ships but I would like a better place to put my suitcase other than the floor of the closet. Larger safes would be nice too.

I only voted for the first option as I think these items should be standard in any fine hotel or ship.

The other items listed I really do not need in my cabin.

The "special touches" I want can still be found on some ships and in some categories but are unfortunately almost gone on "modern" ships:

- full bath tube

- walk-in closet

- ample warderobe and drawer space

- real wood and other fine materials

Almost entirely gone but most wanted

- a button / bell to call the steward (a steward not a person who just cleans the rooms) who indeed will appear and be of service (and thus makes many of the self-service amenities unnecessary)

An electrical outlet near the bed for those of us who rely on CPAP to keep us breathing through the night. I brought an extension cord and had to take the bed closest to the balcony so the cord would reach the outlet. My sister got up before me in the morning and tripped over the cord every day, unplugging it and waking me up. It is a safety hazard to have the extension cord crossing the room.

Electric Blinds!

Imagine waking up, knowing you are moored in Santorini's Caldera, but you are simply too relaxed to get up and open the blinds. Just reach over and hit a button to have the blinds open, revealing the cliffs of Fira centered perfectly in your Window. You gently tap your loved one on the shoulder. They wake up and.... Well you know what happens next!

Rich

Is it too much to ask for a clock in the cabin? I never think that should be an 'extra special touch' for a cabin, but the only clock in the room is either on the phone or on the TV - not very easy to see......

On the late, great ss France, there were clocks in the cabins (at least in 1st class) that updated automatically. This was especially useful on transatlantic crossings when the time changed at least once a day.

I would LOVE to have a robe and slippers...but I understand they are only for those who have taken more than 10 or more cruises.

Also, I would like to have the option of dining with the Captain. On my last cruise during cocktail hour, I was chosen to ask the Captain questions. I asked how does one get chosen to dine with him. He simply said, just approach him. Yea, right...when do you ever see him??? :) But once again, that option seems to be only for "certain folks".

Archived