What special touches do you want in your cabin?

melissa@cruisecritic

If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:  

4,773 members have voted

1. 1. If I were creating a cruise cabin, I'd most want these special touches:

• Cotton balls, emory boards, Q-tips
    • Handheld steamer
    • Bathrooms with dual sinks
    • Real plants
    • In-cabin coffeemakers
    • Aromatherapy steam showers
    • Hair dryer menu
    • Adjustable lighting with dimmers
    • Key card storage shelf in entryway
    • iPod docking station

My wishlist:

1. Larger bathroom/shower. They are too small.

2. More power outlets. I also bring a power strip but it would be nice not to have too bring it.

3. And a decent hair dryer. I'm tired of the 1970's hair dryer that doesn't dry well and alot of them you have to hold the button for them to work anyways.

4. I agree on the balcony. They all should be able to fit a lounger and a table/chair.

5. Better sofa sleepers.

I don't care about the clock. You'd have to worry too much about changing the times. It allows for too much confusion.

none of the above. I would like to see sleep timers on the television, and internet service avaiable in cabin. As well, as a plugin in the bath so one can use curling irons in there.

Coffee makers would be good also.

Freedom and Liberty of the seas have WiFi for your room, happy surfing!! :)

I do bring my own travel clock with me, but rarely look at it...after all I am on vacation and time is irrevelant....even with dinner, if I am having fun where I am I can always get something at the buffet.........that is why I love cruising......

For me the most luxurious thing is the bed and bedding.....comfort...top priority.........and loungers on the balconys, not just junior suites......I just travelled on Enchantment, which I loved, but I could not sit outside at night and read as there was no lighting outside.........it was so incredible out there, I wish I could have read in the solitude........

Don't spend too much time in the bathroom, but ambiance is important and so the mood lighting would be so nice, several ships have the smaller lights you can leave on for coming back into cabin and finding way around.

We travelled Celebrity earlier this year and had iced water in a pitcher in an inside cabin and refridgerator....which I have to say where incredible, and bath robes...........when you come in late at night, it was so nice to get some cold water.........without the $$$$....and to sit around after a shower in a bath robe without having to get fully dressed and crumple up your outfit.........all small things but have a big impact...at least for me.

Thanks for trying to be proactive and make improvements.

Lee

I see that no one has suggested a night light in the bathroom. We are always leaving the light on & a night light would solve the problem of doing that. Make up mirrors are another nice thing to have in the bath. Many hotels are starting to add them.

I'd like to see in-room internet access become standard. Not that I intend to spend a lot of time on the internet, but like right now, reading Cruise Critic in my robe while drinking coffee (I voted for the in-cabin coffeemaker, too!) is one of the great pleasures of life.

As ILoveScotland has already suggested, I agree that any sitting area in the cabin should be next to the window or verandah doors.

Why should you sit in your cabin and not be able to see the sea?

Celebrity has made the same mistake, in my opinion, that Cunard made with the QM2. On the QM2 travelling across the North Atlantic, having the bed against the balcony doors made it that much colder.

Wayne

I agree with a clock. I would also like to see more power outlets.

Absolutely! More power outlets....especially in the bathroom. That's where the lighting is best and I want to be able to dry my hair in the bathroom with a decent mirror and lighting. Also, a mirror that can be pulled out so that you can see the back of your head while drying your hair. I have that and it's such a simple thing. There are mirrors that move about but they are way high (I'm short) and are totally useless to me. I guess they are called shaving mirrors. Also, better lighting in the sitting area for reading, or even reading while in bed.

I'd like to see in-room internet access become standard. Not that I intend to spend a lot of time on the internet, but like right now, reading Cruise Critic in my robe while drinking coffee (I voted for the in-cabin coffeemaker, too!) is one of the great pleasures of life.

Last fall my hump cabin on the Brilliance was just around the corner from one of the Internet cafes. I could be seen there a couple of mornings at 2:00 a.m. when there was no one around. I wasn't in robe and slippers but let's just say I didn't really want to be seen in my shorts and tee shirt and looking the way I was. So, yes Internet access in our cabins would be good.

As long time and frequent travelers (not with cruises), DH have always brought our own cotton balls and q-tips. We have travel size carrier for both and never rely on the hotel for that. Frankly, I think it would be a waste of $ $$ for them to package them individually.

That is true with a travel clock. We cannot rely on the hotel clock working correctly. For the people who said that it would help for the time changes automatically, aren't the times always based on the ships time -- not the country/port you are visiting? Travel clocks are small and inexpensive and I would prefer my own anyway. However, it would be nice to have an outlet near the bed so I don't have to drag my "sound machine" across the room to be on the side table beside the bed.

We don't drink coffee, so that is unnecessary and I think the live plant idea is silly, as is the steam shower -- use the spa.

Steamer, dual sink, dimmers and ipod docking would be great. (but I have found my flat iron is great in lieu of a iron)

We just use the shelf near the door for our keycard, wallet/purse and sunglasses. So everything we need when we leave is in the same place anyway.

Yes, I voted for cotton balls, but only because I had to vote for something! There was no "none of the above" category.

I've cruised on all the six major cruise lines and some of them have the following, but these are my ideal.

More outlets, by desk and in bathroom

Good hand-held hair dryers to use at desk

Larger showers with glass doors. I'd rather have a larger shower than 2 sinks.

Nice Ice bucket and water jug (Celebrity has)

Self-service Ice machine on each deck

Better lighting for reading - with controls for each occupant - and for make up

Laundry service is great on HAL and X - just a certain fee per bag - and I can really stuff a bag! I don't want to do laundry on vacation but like to pack light.

No step up to bathroom or balcony

Lounge chairs on balcony

Sitting area next to window or balcony

Curtain to divide bed from sitting area - one can sleep while the other reads

Reading light on balcony

Non-smoking on most of ship, especially balconies

Lighter blanket to use in place of duvet

Empty refrigerator

Enough hangers

Beds high enough to store luggage underneath

More hooks

I don't need or want in cabin:

tv, dvd player, internet access, any gadgets that will keep me in touch - vacations are for being out of touch!

Bedside tables should have drawers, not just shelves.

Whew!

I would like a cabin category somewhere between balcony cabin and suite. I would be willing to pay a bit more for a bit more space, but cannot afford a suite. Even a foot or two added to the width of a cabin would be luxurious to me!

I would like to see very good lightning in the closest area and mirror area. In some cabins when the closest doors are opened lighting is very poor in the entry way - and closest.

If there is a sofa in the cabin, place the setting area near the balcony, never and I mean never at the other end of the cabin, like they have done in the new Celebrity ship. When I sit on the sofa I want to look out at the sea, not at a mirror on the other wall of the cabin???

I would like to have accordian type closest doors, so that the doors took up less room in the entry way and sliding glass doors on the balancy.

A clock and a coffee maker is most desirable.

Bathtub on all cabins.

More drawers and less shelves in closests. An drawers that a large enough to be functional, especially in vanities.

Balconies with clear plastic sides so that the view is no obstructed.

That is true with a travel clock. We cannot rely on the hotel clock working correctly. For the people who said that it would help for the time changes automatically, aren't the times always based on the ships time -- not the country/port you are visiting? Travel clocks are small and inexpensive and I would prefer my own anyway. However, it would be nice to have an outlet near the bed so I don't have to drag my "sound machine" across the room to be on the side table beside the bed.

Sometimes you stay on ship time and sometimes you go with local times--depends on the itinerary. The drawbacks with most travel clocks are that they have small displays, are battery-powered and most don't have any or sufficient backlighting so overall they are difficult to see when you need it--especially at night. In the ideal world, each stateroom would have a centrally/ship-managed, AC-powered alarm clock with a large easy-to-read backlit display (with time and date) and a built-in alarm/wake-up feature.

Is it too much to ask for a clock in the cabin? I never think that should be an 'extra special touch' for a cabin, but the only clock in the room is either on the phone or on the TV - not very easy to see......

Agree with this suggestion.

What I would like to see as a standard design in all cabins is:

better lighting so you can see yourself in the mirror

full lenght mirror

bathtub -- forget the shower only with the "hugging" shower curtain!

massaging shower heads

curtain or other view blocking device when the cabin door opens to

the hallway

choice of pillow -- feather or foam

enough closet space to store luggage that doesn't fit under the bed

more storeage shelves instead of drawers either too shallow or that

tend to "eat" your clothes

more than just one chair to sit on

convertible table to eat breakfast/other meals on

shower caps in case you forget to bring your own

hooks on the back of the bathroom door lower than 6 ft.

hooks in the cabin

MARAPRINCE

Just so I could pack less, more outlets would be good! A hair dryer menu would also be good (even though I didn't vote for it cuz until I read the posts, I didn't know what it was.) A clock would be awesome too, you could combine both and do one of those ipod dock alarm clocks. woo hoo. Other things that might be helpful:

- raising the beds a little so that a large suitcase fits underneath

- A DVD player in the room, or a way to plug one in

- wi-fi in the rooms

- a way to get coffee after midnight (and not necessarily have to make it), like having the coffee bar be open later or a room service just for coffee

- sleep timer on the tv

- more variety on in-room TV (not that I spend all the cruise watching TV, but I do fall asleep to TV and also have it on when I'm getting ready).

:( I hate it when in a Verandah cabin having the bed by the Verandah instead of the couch/chair. I also hate having the bed by the window in an outside cabin!!!! Grrrrrr!!

HAL does have several of the items mentioned in their suites but not other cabins.

NCL has the best hairdryers at sea!!!

NCL and RCCl have friges that are cold.

I like the idea of putting a flat screen 32 inch TV in the cabins like Celebrity will do their brand new ships coming out.

I like having a divider curtain in the cabin. It's very nice if one wants to stay up while hubby/ wife wants to go to bed earlier.

Me - none of the above. I'd be happy if HAL had showers available in outside cabins. I'm too short to get in/out of the high-walled tubs (and as I'm getting older, it isn't helping). ;) I wouldn't mind 2 sinks, but I'd rather have the space elsewhere in the cabin.

Boy, I'm shocked at some of the things people want. They are things we take for granted on HAL. I do wish HAL had clocks in ALL cabins, not just the suites.

I wonder if the lack of clocks is because some cruises cross time zones? How would they make sure everyone had the correct time? Would it be the room steward's job to switch the clock?

Just think, if there was a clock in the room, and people didn't change the time, they would be blaming the cruiseline because they missed their shore excursion, dinner, shows, etc. I think that is why the cruiselines leave it up to you to check the time. They don't want to deal with the hassle unless it's say, on the TV where they can control the setting.

Somehow HAL was able to adjust the time on our clock in our suite overnight. I'm pretty sure they don't have staff coming in to do this while we were sleeping. ;) It can be done.

For the people who said that it would help for the time changes automatically, aren't the times always based on the ships time -- not the country/port you are visiting?
Not on the cruises we've been on! I'd HATE that, imagine looking at a clock in port and thinking you had plenty of time - or out of time and rushed back to the ship unnecessarily. :eek:

1.In room Coffee maker on ships that only serve syrup based coffee for room service and in buffet.

2.Full breakfast menu room service in all cabins..smaller buffet rooms.

3.Deeper balconies with a lounger, table and 2 chairs.

4. seating area in cabin w/ 2 chairs or sofa and chair.

5. Daily dining menus on tv so you can decide if you want to go to specialty drs.

6. on/off switch in cabin to block or hear announcements without going into hall.

7. A real fridge in cabin and you can preorder if you want it stocked using on line immigration form.

8. In room access to internet at reasonable prices.

9. DVD players in each cabin.

10. Ice maker and laundry on every level- 1 per quadrent.

All these seem to be available on some ships but they should be made standard on all new ships and refits.

My #1 wish may seem simple, but on Sovereign of the Seas, and otherwise fine ship, it seemed the impossible dream.

When you put the two twin beds together, arrange them so both sides are accessible. I don't mind crawling in from the foot of the bed, but when both have to get up for one to go the the bathroom? Sheeeesh!!:D

Archived