Purell Gone

jjb415

The problem with things like Purell, is that people do not use them correctly. You need to use the recommended amount and rub your hands thoroughly, for so long. Usually people just take a lil squirt and quickly rub hands together. All this basically does is cause super germs. Just like when you have an infection and you get an antibiotic and you take it for 2 days instead of the recommended 5. You don't kill everything, and those that you "weakened" instead of killed strive harder to live, this is how you get antibiotic resistant infections. If people are going to use these items they need to use them correctly.

On the 9/8 sailing of Serenade, I sent my mom off to use the hand sanitizer after she visited the buffet but before she ate, and she couldn't find it. When I couldn't find it either, I asked the same question of one of the head waiters who were on Windjammer duty and received basically the same response as the poster above reported.

I find it difficult to believe that the cruiseline would not see fit to have it out all the time to encourage its use. After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and I would never want to touch my food after touching those buffet utensils. Yuck! After that, I always carried a small container with me.

I just returned from Mariner on the 23rd of this month and, although there were no outbreaks, the Purell stations were at the Windjammer (and the staff was reminding everyone to use them). In addition, the waiters were squirting our hands upon entry to the Main Dining Room as well.

When we were on the Mariner 9-2 there was hand sanitizer everywhere! The dining room staff was even spraying your hands down as you entered. In all the eating venues and then some.

As long as the sanitizer contains a 62% alcohol base, it will kill BOTH virus and bacteria! Purell, and most hand sanitizers that are based with alcohol contain a high enough concentration to be effective.

I just returned from Mariner on the 23rd of this month and, although there were no outbreaks, the Purell stations were at the Windjammer (and the staff was reminding everyone to use them). In addition, the waiters were squirting our hands upon entry to the Main Dining Room as well.

I was just going to say the same thing about our 8/26/07 voyage on Mariner.

The recent thread, which I was a part of, discussed the fact that unless you use a 62% to 90% alcohol gel, and use enough that it takes 20 to 30 seconds to rub it in, you really aren't accomplishing your goal. The only effective way to protect yourself against viruses is washing with soap and water, for that matter, you need to teach your children to recite the abc's or the happy birthday song 3 times or something to teach them how long to wash. A quick rinse doesn't do it. According to the CDC, hand washing is preferable with use of a good quality gel a distant second choice if clean water and soap isn't available. We were told by the Staff Captain of the Radiance that having the hand sanitizer stations out was fooling the passengers into believing that they didn't need to wash their hands. A couple seconds rubbing in gel and they were good to go, and that isn't the case.

I also just returned from AOS and noticed the lack of sanitizer. They also didn't use it in June when the ship is sailing full of kids. I also carry a bottle with me to the buffet. My child and I made it fine, but my hubby (who didn't use the sanitizer) caught a terrible respiratory thing onboard.

Imagine the thousand of hands on those utensils and the one's that don't wash their hands!. Then you pick up that same utensil to take your food and even though you washed your hands you pick up everyone else's germs. If you eat say chicken wings or bread you eat them with your hands that are full the of the germs. Its best to bring antibacterial wipes to the buffet to clean your hands when you are ready to eat. I became a germaphobic after reading how germs are picked up and they can get you really sick.

I'm not sure how effective the purell wipes are. There were purell wipes on Liberty of the Seas in July. I washed my hands for nearly 5 minutes. I would wipe my hands down with Purell wipes for at least a minute or more. I really like them. I'm kinda a hygeine freak. I've never had norovirus on a cruise ship but I try the best to prevent it.

I think Purell Wipes are a good idea along with washing your hands. :) Purell wipes were every place I turned on Liberty of the Seas. I wiped my hands down when I got onboard, went to the buffet, went to the dining room, ate at sorrento's, and went to the fitness center. I even saw people wiping their machine at the gym off with purell wipes. I thought it was a good idea, so I tried it. :)

...on Saturday. No hand sanitizer stations, or crew members handing out hand wipes anywhere. Quite a surprise to us. We always bring our own, but I like the reassurance that they are encouraging others to clean up before they eat.

Archived